[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

My dark secret: I could never get "High Noon" to work right. It never killed nobody for some reason.[DOUBLEPOST=1463164287,1463164213][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've got some VERY nsfw SFM videos. Just google up "Kunoichi Broken Princess."

Wait, I forgot who I'm talking to. Of course you know about that.

Hrmm.. maybe this is a post for that other thread.
I'm well acquainted with StudioFOW.

Wait, I mean... Kuno-what? Never heard of it :ninja:

Bioshag Trinity is also pretty good...

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
It WASN'T my imagination. Playing Hanzo makes your enemy's hitboxes (including the headshot zone) 20% larger.

It WASN'T my imagination. Playing Hanzo makes your enemy's hitboxes (including the headshot zone) 20% larger.

I'm pretty sure the reason they do this is so his slow, arcing arrows will be more forgiving with netcode latency factored in. In fact, most of the game seems to fudge in favor of the shooter in regards to latency, so that it feels more proactive, and you aren't shooting at ghosts because your ping went up.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm pretty sure the reason they do this is so his slow, arcing arrows will be more forgiving with netcode latency factored in. In fact, most of the game seems to fudge in favor of the shooter in regards to latency, so that it feels more proactive, and you aren't shooting at ghosts because your ping went up.
I'm pretty sure it's because he needs a nerf :p

Bioshag Trinity is also pretty good...
More partial to the *cancelled Coliseum of Lust since I had a bigger role in it.;)
*aka check your favorite site of choice

Anyways, when it comes to Hanzo his arrows do have a hitbox that is much larger then the arrows, but that is by design since his play style requires both load time (the pull string period) and travel time (the arrow in flight). It makes him extremely easy to dodge even with the fatter arrows.

More partial to the *cancelled Coliseum of Lust since I had a bigger role in it.;)
*aka check your favorite site of choice

Anyways, when it comes to Hanzo his arrows do have a hitbox that is much larger then the arrows, but that is by design since his play style requires both load time (the pull string period) and travel time (the arrow in flight). It makes him extremely easy to dodge even with the fatter arrows.
You were involved in that? I loved CoL.

I mean... what's that? :ninja:

Sure, but they usually sit back and amass enough evidence and later go through and do it in waves. This one sounds like they'll smash you the instant they catch you cheating.

--Patrick

They still apparently have some trouble pinning down the cheating issues in WoW's PvP, but I'm glad to hear they're going to try and bring it to a halt asap with OW.

They still apparently have some trouble pinning down the cheating issues in WoW's PvP, but I'm glad to hear they're going to try and bring it to a halt asap with OW.
When it comes to cheating in WoW there are so many variables that make it hard to really nail down cheaters.

Overwatch is a lot more simple, since the only real big cheat you can have is Aimbot or MapHack, and since every scene and action is recorded, the existence of the kill cam means anyone can easily spot a cheater from the cheaters perspective. Some cheaters have already been caught and removed from beta because of this, like a Soldier76 (without ult) getting perfect tracking headshots, or a Tracer that you can see tracking an enemy through a wall without a Widowmaker.

fade

Staff member
Ah, it's this kind of game. The one that looks really fun, but by the time I get around to playing it, everyone is jaded and so overpracticed that I get killed just logging in. And all the other players talk to each other in some weird acronym-rich language and scoff at you if you don't know it. "You've got to QRP the Sleverhaven(TM) before it heatdowns the ratchet!" "What?!?"

Ah, it's this kind of game. The one that looks really fun, but by the time I get around to playing it, everyone is jaded and so overpracticed that I get killed just logging in. And all the other players talk to each other in some weird acronym-rich language and scoff at you if you don't know it. "You've got to QRP the Sleverhaven(TM) before it heatdowns the ratchet!" "What?!?"
It's actually not that bad. The skill floor is actually so high that a lot of people that play games like TF2 or CoD call it too casual and that it's anti-skill, since anyone can log in and actually be effective versus someone that plays a lot, at least to a certain degree (there will still be those that wipe the floor with you once you move up MMR ranks). There are even some characters that thrive when used by newer players, like Torbjorn, Winston, Reinhardt, Symmetra, Lucio, or Pharah, and anyone can wipe a team with a well placed ultimate, even someone that just started that night. As someone that has been very "anti-fps" for the last 10 years, it was the ease of getting into the game that hooked me hard, and now I am good enough to play in higher MMR.

I have also never had issues understanding terms, since most terms focus on the key points, like "objective", "payload" "cap" "group-up" etc. There are no class variants you have to worry about either, you know if you have a Reinhardt on your team he does everything the same as any other Reinhardt. You don't have to deal with variations and figuring out which variation you are working with and whatever terms those variants use.

Right? I mean, there's tidbits in the character conversations during the pre-game countdowns, but outside of that nothing. It's pretty impressive.

I really hope my wife will be able to play this. She didn't care for Battleborn because of all the little moblins you have to herd around, but she's been foaming at the mouth to try Overwatch. Gamefly was good enough to send out the disc early so it would arrive on release day.

I definitely want to try out Reaper.

I really hope my wife will be able to play this. She didn't care for Battleborn because of all the little moblins you have to herd around, but she's been foaming at the mouth to try Overwatch. Gamefly was good enough to send out the disc early so it would arrive on release day.

I definitely want to try out Reaper.
Fair warning, Reaper is a squishy ambush character and can be difficult to play well for people new to the game, though if you are comfortable with close range assassin types in other shooters, you should be fine.

Fair warning, Reaper is a squishy ambush character and can be difficult to play well for people new to the game, though if you are comfortable with close range assassin types in other shooters, you should be fine.
The last shooter I played much was Evolve, so I have no idea what I'm comfortable with anymore :p.

Are there characters that are more new player friendly than the others?

The last shooter I played much was Evolve, so I have no idea what I'm comfortable with anymore :p.

Are there characters that are more new player friendly than the others?
Yes, there are. Soldier 76 is your most basic character. The archetype run and gun, but his weapon is very accurate and easy to use, he comes with a self heal that can also heal friendlies around you, and he's fairly quick in move speed. He is your all around soldier, and is a great character to start with.

His ultimate even gives you autoaim.

Yes, there are. Soldier 76 is your most basic character. The archetype run and gun, but his weapon is very accurate and easy to use, he comes with a self heal that can also heal friendlies around you, and he's fairly quick in move speed. He is your all around soldier, and is a great character to start with.

His ultimate even gives you autoaim.
Ah, autoaim. So since we're playing on console, I should expect to see 80% of players using him.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, autoaim. So since we're playing on console, I should expect to see 80% of players using him.
Well, it's an ultimate, so it's not always on. And it's far from the cheapest ult there is :p

Soldier76 is a good one to learn on, but also he's a powerful character in his own right - he's got good damage, decent range, unlimited sprint so he's more mobile than many characters, can heal himself and everyone nearby acceptably, and really, his ultimate is decent but not gamebreaking. I mean, it's not like he sets off an explosion that will kill everyone in line of sight up to 20 yards away like D.Va, or becomes an unstoppable juggernaut of pain like Bastion or Winston. Basically, he's a good choice for most any situation, even though there's usually a character that is more suited to each situation individually. Snipers are better at range, tanks have more HP, the support characters heal better as a general rule, Tracer is faster, Bastion digs in and defends better... but in a game where the situation is fluid and changing rapidly, often enough Soldier76 is good enough to get what you need done, done, and push the flow of the game back in the direction you want it to go.

At least, that was my brief experience.

Well, it's an ultimate, so it's not always on. And it's far from the cheapest ult there is :p

Soldier76 is a good one to learn on, but also he's a powerful character in his own right - he's got good damage, decent range, unlimited sprint so he's more mobile than many characters, can heal himself and everyone nearby acceptably, and really, his ultimate is decent but not gamebreaking. I mean, it's not like he sets off an explosion that will kill everyone in line of sight up to 20 yards away like D.Va, or becomes an unstoppable juggernaut of pain like Bastion or Winston. Basically, he's a good choice for most any situation, even though there's usually a character that is more suited to each situation individually. Snipers are better at range, tanks have more HP, the support characters heal better as a general rule, Tracer is faster, Bastion digs in and defends better... but in a game where the situation is fluid and changing rapidly, often enough Soldier76 is good enough to get what you need done, done, and push the flow of the game back in the direction you want it to go.

At least, that was my brief experience.
He's also fun. I expected him to be boring, being the most basic of the heroes, but damn if it doesn't feel good to run and gun with him.

We're all soldiers, now.

GasBandit

Staff member
He's also fun. I expected him to be boring, being the most basic of the heroes, but damn if it doesn't feel good to run and gun with him.

We're all soldiers, now.
Heh, well, it's fun to win... and a lot of times, what it takes to win is to stop fooling around trying to make the wrong hero for your situation to work and change to one that does... and Soldier76 almost always fits the bill. I mean, Winston is fun as hell, and if I had my druthers I'd probably have been Winston all day every day, but he's got no range at all. Soldier76 isn't quite as mobile as Winston, and he can't soak as much damage in one volley, but he can do a lot more damage at range, can heal himself safely behind cover, and can sprint enough to close distance/flank when needed. When the specialized hero starts to fall short, 76 usually gets it done.

Bastion's surprisingly easy to get a handle on, too. His Turret mode makes him perfect for getting used to playing defense and learning map layouts (as if you want to last longer than one good defense round you'll need to find good hiding spots with a decent field of vision), and he's also got a self-heal and fairly strong Ult.

Plus, you'll get Play of The Game basically every time, so that's neat.[DOUBLEPOST=1463944487,1463944360][/DOUBLEPOST]Speaking of Soldier 76: