Export thread

Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

Limit: 500

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

With the Overwatch beta being back, a new wave of invites sent out, and me actually getting one, I'm curious who else is playing?

And so this post isn't so empty, here's a video of some sweet McCree play.

Dave

Dave

So Blizzard's answer to TF2?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So Blizzard's answer to TF2?
It's like TF2 and a MOBA had a baby. The characters all have skills on cooldown similar to a moba, but the gameplay is team-based objectives like TF2.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Unfortunately I missed out on an invite again, but I've watched my brother play and it looks like a blast. I'm really stoked to play Reinhardt, Hanzo and Mei. Zenyatta and Pharah look fun, too.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And they claim Torbjorn is op...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

We got that spray synergy going our way

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

PatrThom

PatrThom

It threw me a bit to hear Dvorak's New World Symphony in an otherwise comedic video.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It amazes me that Dunkey can get anyone but randoms to play games with him.

Still, though, that shit is hilarious.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It amazes me that Dunkey can get anyone but randoms to play games with him.

Still, though, that shit is hilarious.
He's got a regular crew, and none of them give any shits. Also apparently his girlfriend Leahbee is a real life walking anime character. She's got her own youtube channel where the two of them play children's boardgames and stuff... it's... I don't know if it's unsettling, or mesmerizing, or what.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I don't know if it's unsettling, or mesmerizing, or what.
The word you're looking for is "Entertaining."

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

The word you're looking for is "Entertaining."

--Patrick
I.. don't think it is.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

My brother used to watch a LoL streamer who had a girl just like that on his games all the time. She was the same odd caricature, with cartoony high voice and everything.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I.. don't think it is.
I was really, really not expecting to watch Tom Smith and Shelly Duvall review a kids' game.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I was really, really not expecting to watch Tom Smith and Shelly Duvall review a kids' game.

--Patrick
Shelly Duvall fed WAY too much sugar.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Shelly Duvall fed WAY too much sugar.
Or channeling Carol Kane.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Been playing since before the break. One of the most fun FPS games I have played in years.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I was in the previous beta, I'm not in this beta :( if it were guaranteed beta access I'd buy it now. game is fun.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was in the previous beta, I'm not in this beta :( if it were guaranteed beta access I'd buy it now. game is fun.
Do you mean the open beta weekend? Because I don't think anyone that previously had closed beta access lost it.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Do you mean the open beta weekend? Because I don't think anyone that previously had closed beta access lost it.
Is there a beta event going on at this very second? I thought there was. If so I'm not in it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This is why Reinhardt is awesome. Full disclosure, this was a bot game, because when you get salty with pubs sometimes you just need to obliterate some AI.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This is why Reinhardt is awesome. Full disclosure, this was a bot game, because when you get salty with pubs sometimes you just need to obliterate some AI.
Yes I love Reinhardt. Him and Lucio are two of my go to guys.

You can tell a good Reinhardt by how he utilizes his charge. Did you know that when two opposing Reinhardts charge into each other, they both take damage and knock each other down? It's a great way on defense to stop a pushes momentum, and can even be used to save pinned allies. I did that actually just tonight when I saw an ally get charged in Hanamura. I lined up and was able to hit my charge into his, saving the pinned Winston before they got to the wall, and even killed him in the collision since he was already weak.

One of my favorite plays in recent memory was another defense on Hanamura, when a D.Va used her ultimate (the self destruct) in the middle of the objective room. Once I heard her activate it, I turned, charged the soon-to-be exploding mech into a corner (yes you can move the mech as is explodes), and once it hit the wall I quickly put up my shield to block in the corner. The bomb went off and obliterated my shield, but due to my corner repositioning and shield block, not a single ally died in the middle room and I got back to defending with just a scratch.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

If pre-ordering could get me into the beta I would do it as soon as I get paid again.

Regardless, though, I'll probably buy into this game. The more video I watch, the more fun it looks.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Guess I'll post it here too: 5/24 release date confirmed.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I wonder if the composer for this was the same guy from Wall-E, Thomas Newman. The opening music sounds a lot like the Wall-E soundtrack.

Also come on Metzen, let someone else do a voice once in awhile.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Also come on Metzen, let someone else do a voice once in awhile.
Metzen didn't voice anyone in the video?

I mean, the only one that might sound a little like Metzen would we Winston, but he is voiced by Crispin Freeman.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Metzen didn't voice anyone in the video?

I mean, the only one that might sound a little like Metzen would we Winston, but he is voiced by Crispin Freeman.
Huh, so it is. Sounded a lot like Metzen's voice to me.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Huh, so it is. Sounded a lot like Metzen's voice to me.
Crispin Freeman might have voiced Winston, but maybe Metzen voiced Freeman.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Crispin Freeman might have voiced Winston, but maybe Metzen voiced Freeman.
My God, how deep does the rabbit hole go?

PatrThom

PatrThom

My God, how deep does the rabbit hole go?
Everything always goes back to Frank Welker or Jim Cummings anyway.
Unless it's Troy Baker.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Beta ending this week. Getting closer to release.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Preordered last week, looking forward to the early release next week. Gotta pick some characters to practice with once the game goes live, leaning to Reinhardt, Hazno, Zenyatta and Mei. I'll probably give everyone a try, but those four look most interesting to me.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

How good are you at FPS games? If you are not the best you may want to start with heroes that have a low skill ceiling. Winston, Torbjorn, Bastion, Symmetra, and Soldier76 are good options.

Out of the ones you are interested I think Hanzo will be the hardest to pick-up. His arrows have a large hit box, but they are not hitscan, and so you have to lead your targets and account for drop off based on how long you hold back the arrow. Though once you get good with him, he can be deadly at almost any range.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I like to think I'm pretty decent, though it's been awhile since I've played a team shooter. I'll probably mess around in a couple bot games to get a feel for some characters before jumping into the fray.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

How good are you at FPS games? If you are not the best you may want to start with heroes that have a low skill ceiling. Winston, Torbjorn, Bastion, Symmetra, and Soldier76 are good options.

Out of the ones you are interested I think Hanzo will be the hardest to pick-up. His arrows have a large hit box, but they are not hitscan, and so you have to lead your targets and account for drop off based on how long you hold back the arrow. Though once you get good with him, he can be deadly at almost any range.
Hanzo's easy, shoot down a corridor people will usually come through, the arrow's hitbox is so wide you'll never miss.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Hanzo's easy, shoot down a corridor people will usually come through, the arrow's hitbox is so wide you'll never miss.
In low end games, that works. In high end games? Not so much. Most teams worth their salt will have a tank walking the corridor with a healer while the rest of the team flanks and murders you. The only good Hanzo is one that plays an extremely mobile game. If you want to sit at the end of a corridor and just snipe Widowmaker is the only real option.

P.S. Hanzo's arrow hitbox is wide, but it's not as wide as people give it credit. The only advantage of the width is that it's easier to aim towards the chest and still register a headshot, but I play many a Hanzo that still will wiff half his shots because he does not account for leading and drop off. I pride myself on being able to dodge any Hanzo while I play Lucio. They are almost a non-issue for me at higher MMR.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In low end games, that works. In high end games? Not so much. Most teams worth their salt will have a tank walking the corridor with a healer while the rest of the team flanks and murders you. The only good Hanzo is one that plays an extremely mobile game. If you want to sit at the end of a corridor and just snipe Widowmaker is the only real option.

P.S. Hanzo's arrow hitbox is wide, but it's not as wide as people give it credit. The only advantage of the width is that it's easier to aim towards the chest and still register a headshot, but I play many a Hanzo that still will wiff half his shots because he does not account for leading and drop off. I pride myself on being able to dodge any Hanzo while I play Lucio. They are almost a non-issue for me at higher MMR.
I wasn't being serious, I should have used more hyperbole than saying it's impossible to miss.

Here, have this (which I think I actually posted earlier)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Mei is fun as hell. Still playing around in AI games to get used to the game in general, but I can see myself dropping a lot of time into this.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Bastion is a dick.

Mei, McCree and especially Reinhardt are shaping up to be my favorites.

Dei

Dei

Mercy is my favorite, I just wish I could defend myself better when my teammates are wanking off and not helping me out. I get why she has weak offense, but damn.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah I've been putting some real time into Reinhardt but oh my God people when I'm towering in front of you, shield bared and soaking damage, KILL THE THINGS SHOOTING AT ME.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Yeah I've been putting some real time into Reinhardt but oh my God people when I'm towering in front of you, shield bared and soaking damage, KILL THE THINGS SHOOTING AT ME.
I also find it really weird how often people will move out of my shield to fire at the enemy, even though they can shoot through it from safely behind it. Before it was mostly a visibility issue (the shield used to be more opaque), but ever since they adjusted the graphic to be much more clear, people still seem to go either side of my shield rather then behind it. It was actually kind of weird when during one Attack game a WM actually hugged my shield really well, since I am not used to it, lol.

As for Mercy her gun can pack a punch when you need it too, as it's similar to D.Va out of her mech, but switching to the gun means giving up the staff for awhile, which means it only are ever going to use it in circumstances you are more likely to get overwhelmed. (if even one other play is around you it's usually better to heal them).

BTW I am a bit sad, first look box I open gives me a legendary skin I really wanted, but I know after the 9th it will be gone. :(

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I got Reinhardt's Flex win pose in my first box, I was super sad.

Dei

Dei

I also find it really weird how often people will move out of my shield to fire at the enemy, even though they can shoot through it from safely behind it. Before it was mostly a visibility issue (the shield used to be more opaque), but ever since they adjusted the graphic to be much more clear, people still seem to go either side of my shield rather then behind it. It was actually kind of weird when during one Attack game a WM actually hugged my shield really well, since I am not used to it, lol.

As for Mercy her gun can pack a punch when you need it too, as it's similar to D.Va out of her mech, but switching to the gun means giving up the staff for awhile, which means it only are ever going to use it in circumstances you are more likely to get overwhelmed. (if even one other play is around you it's usually better to heal them).

BTW I am a bit sad, first look box I open gives me a legendary skin I really wanted, but I know after the 9th it will be gone. :(
Sure, if I'm fighting a pure DPS person I can sometimes win, but it's usually a bunch targeting me specifically and chasing me around, while my team just does whatever. PuGs man. ;)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've been wanting to take Zenyatta out for a spin outside of AI games but he's paper-thin and I get the feeling it won't end well in quick play.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I've been wanting to take Zenyatta out for a spin outside of AI games but he's paper-thin and I get the feeling it won't end well in quick play.
You have to treat Zenyatta like a sniper with some off-healing and debuffing. Don't go out in the open during a fire fight, pop around a corner behind your team, throw the orb of discord as soon as you see the symbol over the enemy, and either charge up a shot or just start throwing balls as fast as you can from a distance, once you need to reload hide behind the wall again. Once done move out and cast orb again and unload. If you get good, start trying to get the orb on higher priority targets, like an orb on a tank will let the team shred him mercilessly. Keep the healing orb on an ally as much as possible, switch it up based on who might need it the most, keep it up on allies in the thick of combat.

As long as no one is on top of you, Zenyatta is a BEAST for his high damage and accuracy from even extreme range, but once a flanker or a sniper spot him he is toast unless he has someone to help defend him. A single sniper body shot will gib him. You have to be very reserved with him, only getting in the thick of things when his ultimate is up, before sliding away back to a more concealed position. I actually find him the Bastion-killer, since his fast attacks from even extreme range plus orb of discord allow him to often kill a Bastion from ranges far outside the Bastion's optimal killzone in only two or three "strikes", or one fully charged shot. Yes, Snipers can do the same, but snipers are less viable on offense and can't support as well as Zenyatta, making him the best overall Bastion-buster, which is why I switch to him when the enemy gets a little turtle happy.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah Zen's overall healing is nowhere near as strong as other Support, but Discord Ball and a full clip work wonders on Damage/Defense characters.

Reinhardt's Charge does wonders on Bastion, too, I managed to drive him into a wall and hammer combo him to death a couple times without losing much, if any health depending on when he noticed me.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Reinhardt's Charge does wonders on Bastion, too, I managed to drive him into a wall and hammer combo him to death a couple times without losing much, if any health depending on when he noticed me.
It really depends on if you get the drop on him, and really ANY character can murder him if you get the drop on him. I do the same thing by charging into him from the sides or if he is distracted trying to hit another character. Flankers can just hit his weak spot on his back (he takes double or triple damage when hit there), or a soldier can just unload a clip and missile right into his face. Roadhog is one of the better ones since he can just hook bastion right out of sentry mode. Snipers, Pharah, Zenyatta, etc... can just shoot him far from his effective range, as his bullet spread is extremely high after a certain distance (making him tickle even when he fires at you).

Bastion has a LOT of counters which is why most consider him dead weight at high MMR since you need someone to babysit him to keep him alive, but he is brutal when the opposing team does not know what they are doing, and can still be brutal at high MMR when the team work around him properly. A good solo bastion will often change positions after each engagement, focusing on finding hidden spots to get the drop on the enemy while not exposing himself to long range fire.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah now that I'm used to fighting him it's much easier to deal with. More of an annoyance than anything, coming around a corner and getting that Oh-Shit-Spurt of minigun fire.

I'm going to give Roadhog a go today, I think, I've heard great things.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'm going to give Roadhog a go today, I think, I've heard great things.
The weird thing about Roadhog is he plays way better as a harasser. You peek out, hook someone into a headshot combo (which will instantly kill anyone other then a tank), fire off a bit of fire on other enemies until mid-range on health, then run away to use your heal by your team, repeat. Never expect to go out and go crazy unless you have your ult.

Sometimes I see a Roadhog plowing into a match with a Mercy healing him, which, honestly, is a determent to the team, since Roadhog's high health without shielding means he is an ultimate battery for the opposite side. A tracer tickling him for a few seconds will have her sticky bomb up so fast you will think it's criminal. Yes it can work sometimes, but you need to have great hook accuracy to prevent the other side from just suing you as ult fuel.

One thing most have to learn early on is that even though there are 4 "roles" a lot of heroes are not specific to those roles. Zenyatta is support, but he isn't like Mercy or Lucio where the majority of his need is healing. He is more an offense character with some support characteristics. Symmetra herself is more a hybrid of support and defense (her kit is very similar to Torbjorn, focusing on area denial turrets and health boosts, with her defining support characteristic being her teleporter ult) D.Va is a tank, but is played more like a high health flanker, using her boosters and matrix to get in behind the enemy and annoy them from there. Same with Winston, who works less as a pure tank and more like a distraction (his presence commands attention when he enters a zone, and his leap allows him to abuse health packs, and his auto-lock cone gun can make him dangerous when teams group together). The only real "tank" as far as the term goes is Reinhardt with his shield.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, Hanzo is definitely not a full Defense player, either, with good use of Sonic and Multi arrows you can push pretty hard. I haven't gotten a lot of time with him yet, though.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I have a spare key to the early access open beta, that starts today. Or you can wait a few days and play when the open beta officially starts.

Dei

Dei

I would say meeeee but I barely played when I had the closed beta so I can wait. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I would say meeeee
This message brought to you by Anna "I don't like FPS games" Dei.

Dei

Dei

Dude, I play what is essentially the medic, and barely shoot things. Also it's third person!

ALSO, you can't remember that we played 90 hours of Don't Starve while drunk, but you remember everything I said.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dude, I play what is essentially the medic, and barely shoot things. Also it's third person!

ALSO, you can't remember that we played 90 hours of Don't Starve while drunk, but you remember everything I said.
Recording and recalling are two separate processes.

Dei

Dei

Regardless, the OPEN open beta starts tomorrow, I smell game night. Maybe. Like I said, I barely played it during closed beta, but it might earn my time with an HF group.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's first person.

Dei

Dei

It's first person.
Shush, I don't care.

Dei

Dei

OC and I are playing if anyone wants to join us.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

More than happy to join up with HF folks for some fun, shoot MindTheMoose#1685 an invite or tell if I'm on. I might be in the Legion Alpha dicking around but I don't mind swapping over for some good times. Playing a lot of Junkrat/Reinhardt/Roadhog lately, but I'd love to get some practice on more DPS and Support characters too.

Dave

Dave

I tried to play last night but nothing worked. I clicked on the tutorial and did that, but when it came to a match nothing happened. I couldn't choose a character, none of the menus worked...it sucked. So I had to ctrl-alt-del out as I couldn't click on anything...and in the background was a message from my firewall saying it was blocking some stuff and should I allow it through. Damn it.

I'll try again later.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I worked nights last night and was sick so instead of downloading the beta when I got home I went straight to sleep

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

GasBandit

GasBandit

The default graphics settings on this game are shit. I can understand Ambient Occlusion being defaulted to on, because it's the "brown and bloom" of the day (as in it always comes on, turn that shit off)... but 83% resolution downsampling by default? Bleck. Talk about fuzzy jaggies. Funny how I turned it back up to 100% AND increased most of the other graphics settings and still maintained 60fps throughout.

Anyway, as for the game itself... Well... it's team fortress wrapped in form-fitting spandex and Plasti-future. Yeah, it's fun. But it's fun because it's team fortress :p

Dei

Dei

Guysssssssssssss, we're playing. Come play!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I tried to play last night but nothing worked. I clicked on the tutorial and did that, but when it came to a match nothing happened. I couldn't choose a character, none of the menus worked...it sucked. So I had to ctrl-alt-del out as I couldn't click on anything...and in the background was a message from my firewall saying it was blocking some stuff and should I allow it through. Damn it.

I'll try again later.
I was having the exact same problem. Turns out it wasn't playing nice with a program I used called overwulf to put an overlay on some of my games.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I can't believe people think Zenyatta has problems, because hot damn.

He could use a little more health, though, I suppose, as his playstyle needs to be a little aggressive to make good use of Discord and Charge Shots.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I can't believe people think Zenyatta has problems, because hot damn.

He could use a little more health, though, I suppose, as his playstyle needs to be a little aggressive to make good use of Discord and Charge Shots.
He used to be insane. His orb of harmony and orb of discord were originally fire and forget, they'd stick to their target forever as long as Zenyatta is alive.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

He used to be insane. His orb of harmony and orb of discord were originally fire and forget, they'd stick to their target forever as long as Zenyatta is alive.
See I get that nerf, that would have been way too good. After a couple more games I can see that maybe the LoS on them needs to last a tiiiiiiny bit longer before the orb returns (at least the heal orb), but all in all I think he's pretty well-off right now if you can play aggressively without going overboard.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This game thrives on bullshit.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And a steady diet of n00bs.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It thrives on people who don't swap heroes to counter shit like Bastion/Mei/snipers. That's what was getting me into a white-hot fury before I stopped trying to "main" someone and worked on building a stable.

Of course then I swap to someone who can melt the nasty defenders, and the rest of the team's fucking around 50 miles away from the Objective and I end up dead anyway.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh sweet summer child... You should have seen the days of bastions with rapid regenerating forward shields and tjorborn turrets sniping people from across the map.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It thrives on people who don't swap heroes to counter shit like Bastion/Mei/snipers. That's what was getting me into a white-hot fury before I stopped trying to "main" someone and worked on building a stable.
Yup, I like to think of each map as a puzzle. We see what the defenders are using and consider what "comp" we can work with that can cover our weaknesses to them, while exploiting their weaknesses. Yes, some comps are difficult to handle, but that is only because the team worked together to get such a comp as a well oiled monster machine. Example, last night I got rolled over by a Bastion Train. The train wouldn't have been so bad if not for the fact it was FOUR of them, with a Reinhardt handling front shielding and a mercy in the back healing. The Mercy was actually really good and keeping herself defended by the two rear Bastions, all the while healing. When we destroyed the train with a well placed ult or two, the Mercy would have her Res ready and would just bring the train right back up. I actually had to applaud them for working together, even if it felt a fit cheesy. I think if I could have convinced my team to go mostly Zaryas and Junkrats we probably could have blowns it up KAMIKAZE STYLE, but my side was an actual random pug and not a well oiled pre-made of friends goofing around.

The same group the next match stacked Mei with a WM and Roadhog, but I finally got my group to listen a bit and we pushed out of the spawn. I changed to I think four or five different characters ending with D.VA, since her mobility allowed me to really screw with the Mei team.

Dei

Dei

I think Gas's rage is a lot of Pharah in a narrow passage rage.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It's funny, but I find this game extremely balanced for what it is. Want to know how I came to that conclusion? Every single hero in the game has been called "Overpowered" on the feedback forum at some point. Every. Single. One. Just yesterday after the open beta officially started, there were posts saying Pharah, Bastion, Torbjorn, Roadhog, Junkrat, Mei, McCree, Mercy, Tracer, and Reaper were overpowered and impossible to beat, all on the same page. I have seen posts since Closed Beta that have called everyone from Symmetra to Soldier76 too strong and impossible to defeat.

I find that a good sign, since not a single hero is complained about constantly (Well... other the Bastion, whose high skill floor and low skill ceiling but him in a weird place, extremely great versus noobs but dead weight versus pros)

Dei

Dei

Ooh, that was another point of rage. Bastion vs. Genji.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Ooh, that was another point of rage. Bastion vs. Genji.
Genji is one of the faster Bastion killers. Gotta love that reflect.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Genji is one of the faster Bastion killers. Gotta love that reflect.
That was a lot of it. Genji's reflect is ALWAYS UP. When I was playing Bastion, defending the capture point, the only thing I ever saw was genji and his reflect was always up.

More like multiple Pharahs safely IN ORBIT constantly raining down ultimates and/or using normal rockets that seem to autoseek and do double damage. Except of course when *I* play Pharah :p

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

I was on last night for way longer than I meant to be. Probably gonna be the same tonight.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That was a lot of it. Genji's reflect is ALWAYS UP. When I was playing Bastion, defending the capture point, the only thing I ever saw was genji and his reflect was always up.
Well stop shooting at him!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Reflect has an 8 second cooldown. That goes by quickly but it more then enough time to kill him as long as you don't panic. When I play Bastion I bait the reflect by launching a little bit of spray, then stop and repair while it's "casting" (as the Genji can't attack during reflect). If the Genji stays around I gun him down before those 8 seconds are up, or he runs. Rinse and repeat. I am much more scared of a Tracer or Roadhog when I play Bastion, or a good Sniper.

More like multiple Pharahs safely IN ORBIT constantly raining down ultimates and/or using normal rockets that seem to autoseek and do double damage. Except of course when *I* play Pharah :p
I experience the same thing with Pharah, she is one of my weakest characters I play (after Widowmaker and McCree), but I see some teams do what feels like literal magic with them. I find Soldier76 is one of the better Pharah killers, as he has good accuracy and because they are likely out in the open while flying, his ULT will shred them. Roadhog can also rather easily hook them right out of the sky, and if you have a GOOD sniper, they are easy pickings unless they play a bigger ground game.

Just some light advice from someone with hundreds of hours into the game now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well stop shooting at him!
Genji's reflect was literally taking me from 300 to 0 in 1 second. Maybe if I was still a caffeine-boosted teenager, I could have reacted quicker. Also, it took me 3 or 4 times to realize it was ALWAYS UP. "Surely he can't do that again." YEP HE CAN. That shit should be an ultimate, not an E.

It was also exacerbated because the position was indoors and the entrance the other team was coming through was backlit, so it was really difficult to discern one fast moving black shape with a red outline from another, unless it was roadhog or something.

So I guess the only way to counter Genji's reflect is to not shoot at all at any target massing under 400 pounds and let the other team run up and kill me. Success!

Reflect has an 8 second cooldown. That goes by quickly but it more then enough time to kill him as long as you don't panic.
Un-turreting in the situation I was in was not an option - the enemy were probing multiple entrances to the room. So the odd time I didn't shoot myself to death on Genji, he only had to duck back around the corner to the room, wait 8 seconds and do it again - which was enough time for me to realize I was being needlessly gun-shy against non-reflective targets and start hosing again, then WHOOP there he is I'm dead.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Genji's reflect was literally taking me from 300 to 0 in 1 second. Maybe if I was still a caffeine-boosted teenager, I could have reacted quicker. Also, it took me 3 or 4 times to realize it was ALWAYS UP. "Surely he can't do that again." YEP HE CAN. That shit should be an ultimate, not an E.
Again it's not always up. You need to utilize the opening. I am 33 and I have enough reflex to handle laying off the button when I see him. Maybe you just need to get used to his silhouette, look mostly as his run (he has a slight forward lean with his hands up, like a ninja).

Un-turreting in the situation I was in was not an option - the enemy were probing multiple entrances to the room. So the odd time I didn't shoot myself to death on Genji, he only had to duck back around the corner to the room, wait 8 seconds and do it again - which was enough time for me to realize I was being needlessly gun-shy against non-reflective targets and start hosing again, then WHOOP there he is I'm dead.
Ya, it sucks when you slip up and fall for it, but that is part of the game, understanding your weaknesses and trying to overcome them, or switching to something that better handles the comp. If you play Bastion and find Genji is wrecking you, switch to Winston, and eat that Genji for breakfast. He can't reflect the lightening gun (which will auto-lock on him as long as he is in front of you), he does little damage to a tank, and even if he dashes away you can leap right after him (which also does damage if you land on him). I went versus a team last night that was triple Genji, and so me and another switched to Winstons and OBLITERATED half the team.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Again it's not always up. You need to utilize the opening. I am 33 and I have enough reflex to handle laying off the button when I see him. Maybe you just need to get used to his silhouette, look mostly as his run (he has a slight forward lean with his hands up, like a ninja).
I didn't mean it was a literal always-on passive, I meant it might as well have been because any time he came out around the corner, it was up. Hence, always up. And I also need to figure out how to get rid of bloom, because as I said, this fight was taking place indoors in a dim environment and he and a couple of his buddies were harassing through a door that was backlit by an open window, and with the post-processing, all that was presented to me were blurry black shapes.

Ya, it sucks when you slip up and fall for it, but that is part of the game, understanding your weaknesses and trying to overcome them, or switching to something that better handles the comp. If you play Bastion and find Genji is wrecking you, switch to Winston, and eat that Genji for breakfast. He can't reflect the lightening gun (which will auto-lock on him as long as he is in front of you), he does little damage to a tank, and even if he dashes away you can leap right after him (which also does damage if you land on him). I went versus a team last night that was triple Genji, and so me and another switched to Winstons and OBLITERATED half the team.
I had some luck a couple times when I played winston, but most of the time had a hard time keeping people in range. How long is the range on his tesla cannon? It seems like it's maybe 5 yards.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I had some luck a couple times when I played winston, but most of the time had a hard time keeping people in range. How long is the range on his tesla cannon? It seems like it's maybe 5 yards.
Don't know the exact range, I think it's double the melee range. It's supposed to have limited range since Winston is very quick and mobile, plus since it's a cone effect you can technically damage everyone in front of you if they bunch together. He is really good at annoying the hell out of snipers, but you gotta learn how to flank with him. He requires some good map awareness.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Winston's gun is weird to get used to until you run into a Lucio, and then it's the best gun in the game. Killing Lucio is like trying to swat a fly, but Winston's gun is a fucking Bug Zapper.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Winston's gun is weird to get used to until you run into a Lucio, and then it's the best gun in the game. Killing Lucio is like trying to swat a fly, but Winston's gun is a fucking Bug Zapper.
His gun does such little damage, but any character at 200 health or below drops quickly as long as you stick to them. This is why he is so good versus Genji, Tracer, Lucio, WM, Hanzo or Zenyatta, as long as he gets good at closing the distance quickly. The bad side is that he only tickles other tanks or characters with higher health pools or armor, so if the enemy is running a heavy tank comp you never want to go Winston. Usually if I fight a heavy tank comp with say a WM, I use D.Va instead for harass.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah I'm a fan of knocking tanks around with Junkrat. His grenades and landmine are great for harassing (Roadhog hook? Drop a mine and back up, watch him fly!), and the bear trap is good for shutting down quick characters backing them up.

Then Rip Tire comes up and you start the real show.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Yeah I'm a fan of knocking tanks around with Junkrat. His grenades and landmine are great for harassing (Roadhog hook? Drop a mine and back up, watch him fly!), and the bear trap is good for shutting down quick characters backing them up.

Then Rip Tire comes up and you start the real show.
Fun Fact: If you know you are about to die, throw a bear trap at the foot of your killer and stand on him. Enjoy the rage.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I love watching a Tracer come to a screeching halt in my traps, then pelting her with grenades and watching the fireworks.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Gonna be playing for a bit tonight... OfcCharon#1157 if you haven't added me already...

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Click here for 1 weird trick to get play of the game! Other players hate him for this trick!

Edit: this was me

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

I also need to figure out how to get rid of bloom
Doesn't look like there are any settings specific to bloom, but under the advanced graphic settings you might try toggling "local reflections," or adjusting the lighting quality.

--Patrick

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I was late getting into it, but I'll be playing much as I can tonight before the open beta ends tomorrow. My name there is Mornhir #1742.

EDIT: fixed my battle net tag.

Dei

Dei

You need a number to go with your name, or no one can friend you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've pretty much made up my mind not to buy it. I mean, it's fun and all, but I can't see paying full price for what feels like an expansion pack for TF2.

And it doesn't even have a CTF mode or allow private servers, I mean, what the heck.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

The number in the small square by my battle tag in the top right corner? That's 4.

Dei

Dei

The number in the small square by my battle tag in the top right corner? That's 4.
No, there should be a 4 digit number. For example, my B.net name is AnnaDei#1673[DOUBLEPOST=1462835815,1462835767][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've pretty much made up my mind not to buy it. I mean, it's fun and all, but I can't see paying full price for what feels like an expansion pack for TF2.

And it doesn't even have a CTF mode or allow private servers, I mean, what the heck.
Terrik and I already discussed that it may look pretty, but $60 for TF2 with more classes isn't really worth our time with how much we'd actually play it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Worth it to me. "Shrug" just the beta has given me more play time then Fallout 4 and most other games I actually purchased in the last 6 months.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Worth it to me. "Shrug" just the beta has given me more play time then Fallout 4 and most other games I actually purchased in the last 6 months.
As someone who could never fully get into TF2, it doesn't feel like TF2 at all to me.

Dei

Dei

That's why I said "Worth our time with how much we'd actually play it." ;)

I am terrible at FPS type games. Playing with random people who have much better reflexes than me isn't something that I will play long term. :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you have in TF2?[DOUBLEPOST=1462836360,1462836198][/DOUBLEPOST]
As someone who could never fully get into TF2, it doesn't feel like TF2 at all to me.
Hah, my buddy who has over 1000 hours in TF2, when I got him to try Overwatch this weekend, complained it was too slow and not dynamic enough.

Pretty much all he plays in TF2 is a scout with an Atomizer/Force-a-Nature loadout, though... so I get the feeling anything that isn't peeling his skin away from his face through sheer G-forces alone probably would get that opinion from him. The only class he could stand to play was Winston, not even Tracer was mobile enough for his standards.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I played TF2 back during the orange box days for maybe a week or two before I just got bored of it. Took me ages to even find a server I liked and by then the only heroes I liked were scout and sniper.

Overwatch feels way more manic. Something like if TF2 had sex with a moba and then that kid went through a quake and unreal tourney phase. It really tickles the old classic fps gamer in me more then any other recent shooter. I also love how much strategy and adaptation is required to succeed. You can't have one guy carry the whole match.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I played TF2 back during the orange box days for maybe a week or two before I just got bored of it. Took me ages to even find a server I liked and by then the only heroes I liked were scout and sniper.

Overwatch feels way more manic. Something like if TF2 had sex with a moba and then that kid went through a quake and unreal tourney phase. It really tickles the old classic fps gamer in me more then any other recent shooter. I also love how much strategy and adaptation is required to succeed. You can't have one guy carry the whole match.
Now that you mention it, it does evoke very old Quake sensations, with a little dash of moba-style skill usage.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Speaking as somebody who didn't really put in more than 10 hours in TF2 until it went F2p, and then put in 360 hours, this is pretty much a more poly-dense later-edition TF2. With, as Dei says, new characters.
Overwatch feels way more manic. Something like if TF2 had sex with a moba and then that kid went through a quake and unreal tourney phase. It really tickles the old classic fps gamer in me more then any other recent shooter.
Well, everybody's entitled to their opinion. As for me, it doesn't feel any more or less "manic" than most FPSes I've played over the last 10 or 20 years or so, especially not the ones against other players.

I also love how much strategy and adaptation is required to succeed. You can't have one guy carry the whole match.
Well, ya saythat, but on saturday, I did, once or twice :p Granted, I was playing winston and the other team (and the rest of my team) was REALLY bad. I got gold medals in every category, play of the game, and it was almost freakin' sad to see.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I mean, you guys know it's 40 bucks for the base game, yeah? 60 is for some skins and goodies for other Blizz games.

If you don't see it being worth the money I get it, but just know it's not actually a full-price game to begin with if you don't need a WoW pet and some SC2 portraits.

Dei

Dei

We're back to the "Worth it for how much play we'd get out of it." If you'll play it a lot it's probably worth it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I mean, you guys know it's 40 bucks for the base game, yeah? 60 is for some skins and goodies for other Blizz games.

If you don't see it being worth the money I get it, but just know it's not actually a full-price game to begin with if you don't need a WoW pet and some SC2 portraits.
It's rocking a $20 penalty because you have to have battlenet running, imo :p That's a strike against it in my book, but not a dealbreaker like Origin or Uplay is.

I fuckin hate "PC app stores" you have to have always on. I can barely stand steam, even, I just begrudgingly accept it as a necessary evil for modern gaming, with the skids greased slightly by the sales.

But if it goes under $10 or FTP, I might give it another look.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've never had any kind of issue with Bnet myself, and it seems pretty unobtrusive save for telling you when friends log on, but opinions/etc.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've never had any kind of issue with Bnet myself, and it seems pretty unobtrusive save for telling you when friends log on, but opinions/etc.
My distaste has nothing to do with its overt obtrusiveness, or lack thereof.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well I think I've played enough before the end of the beta, and I'm glad I put the money down for the game. I kind of took a chance as I generally never got into TF2 or other FPS games like it, but I had a lot of fun with the game (and frustration, too, but that's part and parcel with any PvP).

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

My best gameplay as Reaper

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dang, 10/10 use of teleporting.

Far

Far

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'll tell you two things that Overwatch definitely improves on over TF2:

1) No random crits
2) No spies

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I was pretty happy to find out that the only crits are headshots and special weaknesses like Bastion's big blue Kick Me when he's in Turret Mode. Hanzo and Widow's abilities help deal with sneaky Reapers, too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ladies and Gentlemen - Torbjorn.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ladies and Gentlemen - Torbjorn.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Overwatch had nearly 10 million people playing during open beta.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Guess the stress test worked out then, since I didn't notice any server problems.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'll tell you one thing, this game is memetastic.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Games with expressive and unique characters tend to do that. TF2's heyday was littered with memes and SFM movies, though Overwatch's end up a more NSFW nature.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Overwatch's end up a more NSFW nature.
Ya.... sorry about that. :cool:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Games with expressive and unique characters tend to do that. TF2's heyday was littered with memes and SFM movies, though Overwatch's end up a more NSFW nature.
I thought nsfw is what SFM was for!

GasBandit

GasBandit

My dark secret: I could never get "High Noon" to work right. It never killed nobody for some reason.[DOUBLEPOST=1463164287,1463164213][/DOUBLEPOST]
I thought nsfw is what SFM was for!
I've got some VERY nsfw SFM videos. Just google up "Kunoichi Broken Princess."

Wait, I forgot who I'm talking to. Of course you know about that.

Hrmm.. maybe this is a post for that other thread.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

High Noon is a weird mechanic, I honestly can't remember if I ever got it right. It's fucking powerful if you do, though, I've seen pentakills.

GasBandit

GasBandit

High Noon is a weird mechanic, I honestly can't remember if I ever got it right. It's fucking powerful if you do, though, I've seen pentakills.
From what I read it's "supposed" to 1-shot kill everyone it hits. But that hasn't been my experience.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, I think you have to keep people in the red reticles until the time's up on the Ult or something? I can't remember, I didn't play a lot of McCree outside of the weekly brawl (which wasn't a good place to practice Ults).

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, wish I'd seen this earlier... it explains how it works without even using words. You have a "lock on time" that is longer the more health your targets have, then you click to fire off all of them at once. I was clicking way too early.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well I feel dumb, that makes a lot of sense.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

StudioFOW are actually pretty cool guys. I do a lot of voice work for them, I actually did some voice work for that movie and the second one.

New Yeah, I think you have to keep people in the red reticles until the time's up on the Ult or something? I can't remember, I didn't play a lot of McCree outside of the weekly brawl (which wasn't a good place to practice Ults).
Here is the jist. When you activate it, any enemies in line of sight will have a little circle appear on them. The circle slowly shrinks, representing how much damage you will do to them when you hit the fire button (LMB), and how fast it shrinks depends on how much health the enemy has. If the circle shrinks all the way down to a point, then that means as long as they stay in line of sight, hitting fire will instantly kill them.

It's really a skill that takes patience. It has a time limit, but it's super long, instead being about how much time you are willing to stay in that vulnerable state to guarantee some kill shots.

P.S. Ah I see you guys found a video. Yup, that is how it works.

GasBandit

GasBandit

StudioFOW are actually pretty cool guys. I do a lot of voice work for them, I actually did some voice work for that movie and the second one.
Well, now I HAVE to make an entry for it in GBHoRF, if it's got bona-fide halforumite voice acting.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My dark secret: I could never get "High Noon" to work right. It never killed nobody for some reason.[DOUBLEPOST=1463164287,1463164213][/DOUBLEPOST]

Wait, I forgot who I'm talking to. Of course you know about that.

Hrmm.. maybe this is a post for that other thread.
I'm well acquainted with StudioFOW.

Wait, I mean... Kuno-what? Never heard of it :ninja:

Bioshag Trinity is also pretty good...

GasBandit

GasBandit

It WASN'T my imagination. Playing Hanzo makes your enemy's hitboxes (including the headshot zone) 20% larger.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It WASN'T my imagination. Playing Hanzo makes your enemy's hitboxes (including the headshot zone) 20% larger.

I'm pretty sure the reason they do this is so his slow, arcing arrows will be more forgiving with netcode latency factored in. In fact, most of the game seems to fudge in favor of the shooter in regards to latency, so that it feels more proactive, and you aren't shooting at ghosts because your ping went up.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm pretty sure the reason they do this is so his slow, arcing arrows will be more forgiving with netcode latency factored in. In fact, most of the game seems to fudge in favor of the shooter in regards to latency, so that it feels more proactive, and you aren't shooting at ghosts because your ping went up.
I'm pretty sure it's because he needs a nerf :p

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Bioshag Trinity is also pretty good...
More partial to the *cancelled Coliseum of Lust since I had a bigger role in it.;)
*aka check your favorite site of choice

Anyways, when it comes to Hanzo his arrows do have a hitbox that is much larger then the arrows, but that is by design since his play style requires both load time (the pull string period) and travel time (the arrow in flight). It makes him extremely easy to dodge even with the fatter arrows.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

More partial to the *cancelled Coliseum of Lust since I had a bigger role in it.;)
*aka check your favorite site of choice

Anyways, when it comes to Hanzo his arrows do have a hitbox that is much larger then the arrows, but that is by design since his play style requires both load time (the pull string period) and travel time (the arrow in flight). It makes him extremely easy to dodge even with the fatter arrows.
You were involved in that? I loved CoL.

I mean... what's that? :ninja:

PatrThom

PatrThom

no.png

Well.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, Blizzard has a track record of bringing down the hammer on cheaters, if memory serves.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sure, but they usually sit back and amass enough evidence and later go through and do it in waves. This one sounds like they'll smash you the instant they catch you cheating.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

They still apparently have some trouble pinning down the cheating issues in WoW's PvP, but I'm glad to hear they're going to try and bring it to a halt asap with OW.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

They still apparently have some trouble pinning down the cheating issues in WoW's PvP, but I'm glad to hear they're going to try and bring it to a halt asap with OW.
When it comes to cheating in WoW there are so many variables that make it hard to really nail down cheaters.

Overwatch is a lot more simple, since the only real big cheat you can have is Aimbot or MapHack, and since every scene and action is recorded, the existence of the kill cam means anyone can easily spot a cheater from the cheaters perspective. Some cheaters have already been caught and removed from beta because of this, like a Soldier76 (without ult) getting perfect tracking headshots, or a Tracer that you can see tracking an enemy through a wall without a Widowmaker.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That implies people don't have waifus in TF2. I can assure you someone out there has waifu'd Sandvich.

fade

fade

Ah, it's this kind of game. The one that looks really fun, but by the time I get around to playing it, everyone is jaded and so overpracticed that I get killed just logging in. And all the other players talk to each other in some weird acronym-rich language and scoff at you if you don't know it. "You've got to QRP the Sleverhaven(TM) before it heatdowns the ratchet!" "What?!?"

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Ah, it's this kind of game. The one that looks really fun, but by the time I get around to playing it, everyone is jaded and so overpracticed that I get killed just logging in. And all the other players talk to each other in some weird acronym-rich language and scoff at you if you don't know it. "You've got to QRP the Sleverhaven(TM) before it heatdowns the ratchet!" "What?!?"
It's actually not that bad. The skill floor is actually so high that a lot of people that play games like TF2 or CoD call it too casual and that it's anti-skill, since anyone can log in and actually be effective versus someone that plays a lot, at least to a certain degree (there will still be those that wipe the floor with you once you move up MMR ranks). There are even some characters that thrive when used by newer players, like Torbjorn, Winston, Reinhardt, Symmetra, Lucio, or Pharah, and anyone can wipe a team with a well placed ultimate, even someone that just started that night. As someone that has been very "anti-fps" for the last 10 years, it was the ease of getting into the game that hooked me hard, and now I am good enough to play in higher MMR.

I have also never had issues understanding terms, since most terms focus on the key points, like "objective", "payload" "cap" "group-up" etc. There are no class variants you have to worry about either, you know if you have a Reinhardt on your team he does everything the same as any other Reinhardt. You don't have to deal with variations and figuring out which variation you are working with and whatever terms those variants use.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I can't believe Blizzard got me engulfed into a story that does not even exist in the gameplay.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Right? I mean, there's tidbits in the character conversations during the pre-game countdowns, but outside of that nothing. It's pretty impressive.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Not being able to play this game is killing me. I am just watching youtube videos now just to sate the hunger.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I decided to buy tracer on hots and I'm getting my fix that way lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This is only accurate if Indie would have instantly died from the deflect.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Leaning tower of D.Va.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I hear tell that the game's going live the evening of the 23rd.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I didn't realize there are more of these.
"Alive"
"Recall"

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yup! There's another one due out next week, focusing on Soldier 76.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I really hope my wife will be able to play this. She didn't care for Battleborn because of all the little moblins you have to herd around, but she's been foaming at the mouth to try Overwatch. Gamefly was good enough to send out the disc early so it would arrive on release day.

I definitely want to try out Reaper.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I really hope my wife will be able to play this. She didn't care for Battleborn because of all the little moblins you have to herd around, but she's been foaming at the mouth to try Overwatch. Gamefly was good enough to send out the disc early so it would arrive on release day.

I definitely want to try out Reaper.
Fair warning, Reaper is a squishy ambush character and can be difficult to play well for people new to the game, though if you are comfortable with close range assassin types in other shooters, you should be fine.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fair warning, Reaper is a squishy ambush character and can be difficult to play well for people new to the game, though if you are comfortable with close range assassin types in other shooters, you should be fine.
The last shooter I played much was Evolve, so I have no idea what I'm comfortable with anymore :p.

Are there characters that are more new player friendly than the others?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The last shooter I played much was Evolve, so I have no idea what I'm comfortable with anymore :p.

Are there characters that are more new player friendly than the others?
Yes, there are. Soldier 76 is your most basic character. The archetype run and gun, but his weapon is very accurate and easy to use, he comes with a self heal that can also heal friendlies around you, and he's fairly quick in move speed. He is your all around soldier, and is a great character to start with.

His ultimate even gives you autoaim.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yes, there are. Soldier 76 is your most basic character. The archetype run and gun, but his weapon is very accurate and easy to use, he comes with a self heal that can also heal friendlies around you, and he's fairly quick in move speed. He is your all around soldier, and is a great character to start with.

His ultimate even gives you autoaim.
Ah, autoaim. So since we're playing on console, I should expect to see 80% of players using him.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ah, autoaim. So since we're playing on console, I should expect to see 80% of players using him.
Well, it's an ultimate, so it's not always on. And it's far from the cheapest ult there is :p

Soldier76 is a good one to learn on, but also he's a powerful character in his own right - he's got good damage, decent range, unlimited sprint so he's more mobile than many characters, can heal himself and everyone nearby acceptably, and really, his ultimate is decent but not gamebreaking. I mean, it's not like he sets off an explosion that will kill everyone in line of sight up to 20 yards away like D.Va, or becomes an unstoppable juggernaut of pain like Bastion or Winston. Basically, he's a good choice for most any situation, even though there's usually a character that is more suited to each situation individually. Snipers are better at range, tanks have more HP, the support characters heal better as a general rule, Tracer is faster, Bastion digs in and defends better... but in a game where the situation is fluid and changing rapidly, often enough Soldier76 is good enough to get what you need done, done, and push the flow of the game back in the direction you want it to go.

At least, that was my brief experience.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well, it's an ultimate, so it's not always on. And it's far from the cheapest ult there is :p

Soldier76 is a good one to learn on, but also he's a powerful character in his own right - he's got good damage, decent range, unlimited sprint so he's more mobile than many characters, can heal himself and everyone nearby acceptably, and really, his ultimate is decent but not gamebreaking. I mean, it's not like he sets off an explosion that will kill everyone in line of sight up to 20 yards away like D.Va, or becomes an unstoppable juggernaut of pain like Bastion or Winston. Basically, he's a good choice for most any situation, even though there's usually a character that is more suited to each situation individually. Snipers are better at range, tanks have more HP, the support characters heal better as a general rule, Tracer is faster, Bastion digs in and defends better... but in a game where the situation is fluid and changing rapidly, often enough Soldier76 is good enough to get what you need done, done, and push the flow of the game back in the direction you want it to go.

At least, that was my brief experience.
He's also fun. I expected him to be boring, being the most basic of the heroes, but damn if it doesn't feel good to run and gun with him.

We're all soldiers, now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

He's also fun. I expected him to be boring, being the most basic of the heroes, but damn if it doesn't feel good to run and gun with him.

We're all soldiers, now.
Heh, well, it's fun to win... and a lot of times, what it takes to win is to stop fooling around trying to make the wrong hero for your situation to work and change to one that does... and Soldier76 almost always fits the bill. I mean, Winston is fun as hell, and if I had my druthers I'd probably have been Winston all day every day, but he's got no range at all. Soldier76 isn't quite as mobile as Winston, and he can't soak as much damage in one volley, but he can do a lot more damage at range, can heal himself safely behind cover, and can sprint enough to close distance/flank when needed. When the specialized hero starts to fall short, 76 usually gets it done.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Bastion's surprisingly easy to get a handle on, too. His Turret mode makes him perfect for getting used to playing defense and learning map layouts (as if you want to last longer than one good defense round you'll need to find good hiding spots with a decent field of vision), and he's also got a self-heal and fairly strong Ult.

Plus, you'll get Play of The Game basically every time, so that's neat.[DOUBLEPOST=1463944487,1463944360][/DOUBLEPOST]Speaking of Soldier 76:

GasBandit

GasBandit

One thing that bugs me about these videos is how blatantly G-rated they are. Riot did the same thing with their League of Legends videos (the Jinx video is a particularly egregious example - she shoots up a city which is conveniently and inexplicably completely abandoned and the only "living" thing to shoot are robots which don't even have any kind of presence or representation in the game itself). They have guns and bombs and blades and they fight but somehow nobody ever gets shot or cut or wounded in any visible way other than nebulously depicted blunt force which never seems to do more than punch-level damage - but when they need to depict more graphic violence, it's against a robot, because robots aren't enough like people to raise the rating. It's a tremendous cop-out that just seems marketing driven to get the "Mom's seal of approval" for your game-which-involves-shooting-other-people-but-there's-no-blood-so-it's-ok.

Fer chrissakes, if Valve can get away with cartoonish bloody chunks in their TF2 videos, I think you can too, blizzard.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

but when they need to depict more graphic violence, it's against a robot, because robots aren't enough like people to raise the rating.
Or, maybe it's incredibly clever meta-commentary, as the backstory to overwatch is steeped in the omnic uprising, the artificial life created and enslaved as second class citizens. #omniclivesmatter

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Also, Widowmaker shot up a shit ton of guards in the "Alive" video.

She knocks down two guards, steps on a third, guns down two more, kicks one hard in the face, then turns back and snipes the ones she knocked down earlier, likely killing them all, before Tracer shows up on the scene again. This makes sense since she is a "bad guy".

The thing is, they are not trying to be overt with the killings, because in some cases these people are not killers. Hanzo is considered a wild card, not really a good person, but not bad either. Even the Omnic he seemed to kill in the video could have just been stunned with an electrical arrow. Soldier76 is similar in that he is supposed to be a good guy, so he is trying to scare off the gang members, not outright kill them, sort of the Overwatch version of Batman.

I think it works for the context of the story. It's fun action without having to be overly gory, which I would consider rather gimmicky (I never really felt the TF2 super violence was all that fun).

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also, Widowmaker shot up a shit ton of guards in the "Alive" video.

She knocks down two guards, steps on a third, guns down two more, kicks one hard in the face, then turns back and snipes the ones she knocked down earlier, likely killing them all, before Tracer shows up on the scene again. This makes sense since she is a "bad guy".
"Knockdowns," kicks and things don't count, that's the "punch force" stuff I was talking about. The shooting is a little bit better, except it's all done with snappy jump-cuts in the hopes that we won't notice there's no visible hits rendered - for all we can tell, the guards are knocked down by the concussive force of muzzle flashes or fainted from the near-miss sprays. But yeah, it's a step above the nonsense of "Hero" and "Dragons" where not a single human is shown to take any more damage than would need an icepack and ibuprofen, but robots are handy because Hanzo needs to be shown actually hitting SOMETHING with an arrow and the street thugs need a (robo)dog to kick so we're know they're bad.

The thing is, they are not trying to be overt with the killings, because in some cases these people are not killers. Hanzo is considered a wild card, not really a good person, but not bad either. Even the Omnic he seemed to kill in the video could have just been stunned with an electrical arrow. Soldier76 is similar in that he is supposed to be a good guy, so he is trying to scare off the gang members, not outright kill them, sort of the Overwatch version of Batman.
Except for in the game, of course, where he very definitely shoots people in fatal ways (admittedly with no blood render) but he's definitely not shy about shooting people. Also he remarks he's not one of those heroes "any more." He's supposed to be an antihero, but not TOO much, because otherwise Overwatch might get kicked off of Saturday Morning Cartoons.

I think it works for the context of the story. It's fun action without having to be overly gory, which I would consider rather gimmicky (I never really felt the TF2 super violence was all that fun).
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Everybody's got an opinion. But to me, it just felt like the "action" was deliberately wrapped in foam padding so as to pander to the would-be Parent Watchdogs. Like they're trying to be as edgy as possible with hollow, plastic swords and guns that shoot blanks.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Except for in the game, of course, where he very definitely shoots people in fatal ways (admittedly with no blood render)
But that isn't entirely true either. All heroes respawn, and even make a little quip about how they lost (Lucio goes "Woo... I hope nobody saw that..." when he comes back.) For all we know, they get knocked unconscious and then dragged back to heal by some future magic voodoo. There is a reason it's calls out "Eliminated" or "Eliminated by" rather then "Killed" or "Killed by".

Yes, that is not 100% the intention as you watch your body ragdoll through the air, but there is no substantial "death" in the game itself, and that is by design. The videos fit in line with that aesthetic of action without heavy death or gore.

P.S. You might like the webcomics, which are extremely more adult oriented with lots of people getting killed or blown up.

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1463968406,1463968130][/DOUBLEPOST]

GasBandit

GasBandit

\

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh gosh guys like 4 hours to go.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I broke down and got it.... open beta was fun.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Still tempted.
Still not likely. (no time)
Dangit.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also noticed that this is the first video that looks more like PvE than PvP (highlighting only a single character rather than a pair)...unless this one is supposed to be Soldier76 v. Soldier76: The Internal Struggle?

Also that "get along shirt" one is hilarious.

--Patrick

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

I bought it as well. Snuffles#1391 for anyone who doesn't have it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Rental arrived today. Wife is still messing around with different characters in practice, but she'll probably go online soon.

When she goes to bed, I'll give it a go. Looks pretty smooth from watching what she's doing though.

Dei

Dei

If you get bored before you get to the end, at least watch the last minute or so.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wife likes the game, but doesn't like that she gets killed so much in multiplayer. The usual, even with Splatoon. As she keeps playing she'll get the hang of it.

But I can definitely see the necessity of getting good at a handful of heroes instead of maining one. I used Pharah a bit and enjoyed leaping up, zinging rockets down. Still, got to a point when my side really needed a tank, so I pulled out that big guy with the armor and shield. You can learn a lot just buy experiencing what other players do to you, and remembering what you do to those heroes when fighting them.

A Tracer melee'd me to death as Pharah, so I made her shoes eat rockets three kills in a row. You wanna kill me, fine, but no need to shame me like I'm a L4D2 infected.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Arcade Mode is pretty silly and makes for some hilarious games.

My brother, a friend and I were against a 4 Hanzo/Torb/Soldier 76 team in Gibraltar with them on move the Payload. Fucking Dragons everywhere, it was insane. Upside is they didn't want to swap characters so we could counter them all day. We won, but it was close thanks to them just having so many high-damage Ults flying through walls.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Arcade Mode is pretty silly and makes for some hilarious games.
My friends and I convinced the other three in the team to go full Zarya in Arcade Mode. It was... beautiful. TOGETHER, WE ARE STRONG!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

My friends and I convinced the other three in the team to go full Zarya in Arcade Mode. It was... beautiful. TOGETHER, WE ARE STRONG!
Yeah my brother was running Zarya in an Arcade game. Gravity bombs all over the place. I was on Mercy and I think ended up with like 10 resurrects by the end of the game.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Yeah my brother was running Zarya in an Arcade game. Gravity bombs all over the place. I was on Mercy and I think ended up with like 10 resurrects by the end of the game.
The hilarious thing about a full Zarya composition in Arcade is that all of you can spam shields. You are nearly unkillable when alternating both your own shield and spamming on the other allies. We came out the gate and it didn't matter what the other team picked, they all died, because they couldn't dent us.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The hilarious thing about a full Zarya composition in Arcade is that all of you can spam shields. You are nearly unkillable when alternating both your own shield and spamming on the other allies. We came out the gate and it didn't matter what the other team picked, they all died, because they couldn't dent us.
Oh, that happened to him too, haha. He survived a Genji ult because of shield spam, and then dropped a few rclick shots to kill him.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

If anyone wants to add me I'm CrimsonSoul#1879

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'll still likely never use her unless it's Hero Roulette for Weekly Brawl.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'll still likely never use her unless it's Hero Roulette for Weekly Brawl.
I love Symmetra. Not only does she give great utility and area denial, but her charged alternate fire is really strong, and pierces shields.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah that's the worst part. I know she's a great character, but I just can't get into playing her.

I did find, however, that I love playing Mercy and Zenyatta, which I did not expect. I really thought I'd be focusing on Tanks and Defenders.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I love Symmetra. Not only does she give great utility and area denial, but her charged alternate fire is really strong, and pierces shields.
My wife loves playing as her. Sadly (and the inspiration for above images) it's a thankless task. You can assist in killing 20 enemies, and get no votes at the end of the match. The only time she got votes despite all her assistance was when she by luck got play of the game.

Still, it's cool just how much you can do with her. It's not a support class where you're bored, that's for sure.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Mercy is a great one to play if you have issues with twitch gaming, since you just have to look for allies with low health and heal them, or boost the best shot in your party. It's exciting, but more hands off, unless you play one of those infuriating gun switchers! (seriously, I hate to admit it but once or twice I went in for what I expected to be an easy Mercy kill only for that pistol to whip out and head shot me dead).

Dei

Dei

My wife loves playing as her. Sadly (and the inspiration for above images) it's a thankless task. You can assist in killing 20 enemies, and get no votes at the end of the match. The only time she got votes despite all her assistance was when she by luck got play of the game.

Still, it's cool just how much you can do with her. It's not a support class where you're bored, that's for sure.
Lol, when Gas and I were playing the beta, he'd get irritated that no one would give me upvotes on Mercy. I have long accepted support as a thankless job and expect that. ;)

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Lol, when Gas and I were playing the beta, he'd get irritated that no one would give me upvotes on Mercy. I have long accepted support as a thankless job and expect that. ;)
Honestly I always vote on the support characters first if they get a card. After that it's tank. Then DPS.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You healed like 80% of the team's HP and they were giving all their upvotes to stupid facecheckers! Bleh!

Honestly I always vote on the support characters first if they get a card. After that it's tank. Then DPS.
I usually did something similar, though I usually prioritized healing > objectives > damage > kills, with play of the game possibly trumping if it was actually that impressive.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Kind of interesting to see how my character focus has changed from game previews/videos->beta->release.

Initially I thought I'd spend all my time on Reinhardt, Soldier 76 and Zenyatta.

Now I find myself mostly on Pharah, Zarya, Hanzo and Zenyatta/Mercy. There's other characters I'm starting to enjoy, too, including Reinhardt, but most of my playtime has skewed in a very different direction.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So many concussion blasts from Phara that don't hit anyone over a ledge, and then I finally knock someone off by accidentally falling on top of them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

"One quick game" because I couldn't sleep last night turned into "ah fuck it's 3am." It's not CivIV levels of time loss, but it's close.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

"One quick game" because I couldn't sleep last night turned into "ah fuck it's 3am." It's not CivIV levels of time loss, but it's close.
I have a lot of those. I actually had to force myself to sleep at a reasonable time last night to make up for all the long nights I spent over the weekend and earlier this week.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Reinhardt saves his team.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Reinhardt's mech charges are funny because sometimes the player forgets that when he stops he can shield to not get killed by the explosion (provided he doesn't go off a cliff).

GasBandit

GasBandit

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think D.Va checks off about every South Korean fetish.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

As a frequent Mercy player, yes.

A hundred times yes.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

*sniff* I had potg as Mercy for a team revive that won us the game. I hit the command to save it on shadow play, go to movie maker... it didn't save for some reason :(

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

*sniff* I had potg as Mercy for a team revive that won us the game. I hit the command to save it on shadow play, go to movie maker... it didn't save for some reason :(
If it was within the last few games, you can go to highlights and replay the play of the game. This also works for games where you didn't get potg, it will show you the moment that would have been had you won it.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

If it was within the last few games, you can go to highlights and replay the play of the game. This also works for games where you didn't get potg, it will show you the moment that would have been had you won it.
Yeah I know but it doesn't have that awesome POTG CrimsonSoul

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Junkrat's become my favorite character. I love getting PotG just to make people watch this.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Junkrat and Bastion seem to get the most plays of the game in my exprience.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah it's pretty easy to get a 4+ person kill with Riptire if the enemy team is even remotely grouped. Jumping it over a wall or catching them at a corner almost always works.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The people who properly utilize Riptire are the worst. It will come flying over some wall and before you can even say "Holy shit" you are dead. It's very satisfying though when I play D.Va, notice it, and just devour it up in Defensive Matrix.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Junkrat and Bastion seem to get the most plays of the game in my exprience.
I see way more Reaper than Junkrat.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I see way more Reaper than Junkrat.
Personally I see more Genji or Torbjorn. There really is a good mix, outside of poor supports, who only get POTG if they hit a super good ultimate ultimate nullification followed by some assists.

I actually got POTG last night on Soldier76. We were at the last point in King's Row, defender side, and the attackers did a huge push. Our Mei used her ult, catching a bunch of them, so I just walked up, shot their Zarya dead in the face, got a few more pot shots on some frozen enemies, turned on my ult as their Mercy flew in to ress, she got off the ress but with my ult I easily gunned her down, then gunned down three of the people she ressed. The only survivor in the end was the resurrected Zarya, who was NOT happy about the earlier shots directly to the face as she came running for me. My team killed her and the timer ran out, winning us the match.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah I've lost a tire to really quick Soldiers, which always sucks.

Also, if it hasn't come up yet, it sounds like McCree is possibly getting some internal testing to see if Fan the Hammer is too strong (it totally is).

GasBandit

GasBandit

I mean, I don't play any more so it doesn't matter to me, but when I played, it seemed to me Fan the Hammer's damage was more than offset by its horrible accuracy. It's basically a melee attack.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Ya they made it clear they are looking more at flashbang.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ya they made it clear they are looking more at flashbang.
Maybe I just needed to git gud, but I found flashbang to be near worthless.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's great for escape and comboing into a point-blank fan (so the recoil won't matter). It's one of the reasons he's so crazy against big targets like the tanks.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's great for escape and comboing into a point-blank fan (so the recoil won't matter). It's one of the reasons he's so crazy against big targets like the tanks.
Sounds like a case of tanks saying "I'm scissors, nerf rock, paper is balanced fine."

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It's interesting since they had already nerfed FAN during the end of Closed Beta. Most people who complain about McCree have made it known that flashbang was the largest grievance too.

If anything they might add a slight cooldown to FAN so you can't just roll into it twice. That would make it less viable to use the FAN ROLL RAN combo to obliterate a tank.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's interesting since they had already nerfed FAN during the end of Closed Beta. Most people who complain about McCree have made it known that flashbang was the largest grievance too.

If anything they might add a slight cooldown to FAN so you can't just roll into it twice. That would make it less viable to use the FAN ROLL RAN combo to obliterate a tank.
That'd probably be reasonable. A 3 second or so cooldown on fan unlinked to ammo status.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I was using tanks as an example, because as it stands right now McCree is strong against basically everyone. I don't mind a lot of power on his left-click, great accuracy should totally be rewarded. Fan combos well with both abilities to the point that it melts anyone and everyone.

Really his only downside at the moment is the potentially long wind-up for High Noon if you have multiple high-hp targets.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The McCree design, at least so far, has been a close range 1on1 bruiser. You were supposed to lose to him at close range if you get stuck 1on1. He is nearly worthless at range due to his high damage drop off, which means his largest counters are just shooting him from a distance. Since I play mostly character that keep distance, I never fear a McCree till I hear his ult.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I dunno, I've seen some mean long-range shots from McCree. He definitely excels at mid/close range, but don't discount a revolver headshot from a sniper perch, either.

When it comes to DPS characters, I've found myself more of a Pharah/Reaper guy, personally.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I dunno, I've seen some mean long-range shots from McCree. He definitely excels at mid/close range, but don't discount a revolver headshot from a sniper perch, either.
That isn't really possible though. Back in Closed Beta when I started, McCree had no drop off and was truly a powerhouse able to snipe you from any distance. When they took the first pass over him they obliterate his range potential with extreme drop off, making it so he does pitiful damage at long range. Medium range? Yes, he has a bit more staying power with his LMD revolver, but Mei does more damage at longer ranges.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Maybe we're thinking differently in ranges. I've definitely seen him get kills from a good range, but it maybe it could still be considered mid-range as far as the game's concerned.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Maybe we're thinking differently in ranges. I've definitely seen him get kills from a good range, but it maybe it could still be considered mid-range as far as the game's concerned.
Let's use a location as an example.

Let's say you are playing Numbani. If McCree enters through the upper balcony on the north side of the map and shoots someone directly below him, or at least on the north side of the payload, he has a good chance of killing the enemy using LMB with a few good headshots, because they are mid-range. If he decided to shoot someone on the opposite side of the payload, the drop off would make it damaging, but negligible. If the McCree was trying to hit someone on the balcony opposite the objective, he would tickle at best.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Well I didn't get my Mercy but I got one of my many Tracers

GasBandit

GasBandit

When I was playing in beta, I didn't understand why they didn't do this every single match.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I like the comic, it just bugs the hell out of me that he draws Reinhardt like that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, I, too miss the days when Gabe was capable of drawing faces that did not all resemble some manner of squashed insect.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah he looks like a mecha-Santa and it bothers me.

Granted, Reaper looks like he's wearing a deer skull, too, so.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yes, I, too miss the days when Gabe was capable of drawing faces that did not all resemble some manner of squashed insect.
I recently decided to check out Penny-Arcade again, and started reading backwards from the most recent. I don't know what happened, but man, I hate the art. Hate it. I used to love Gabe's art, I know he's a talented artist, but whatever style he's drifted into over the years just rubs me the wrong way.

I also hated the writing for most of the comics I read, too, so maybe I just don't like Penny-Arcade anymore.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So it's not just me that thinks one day Gabe just went utterly insane and was like "Fuck this, my art is now officially SQUIGGLY INSANITY. I don't want to draw it unless their skulls and faces contour like the devil possessed them"

Null

Null

So it's not just me that thinks one day Gabe just went utterly insane and was like "Fuck this, my art is now officially SQUIGGLY INSANITY. I don't want to draw it unless their skulls and faces contour like the devil possessed them"
Yeah his art has been just awful looking for the last two years at least, which is a shame. He used to do such beautiful work.

I dropped in the other day, and the writing and art reminded me of why I stopped reading it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I still read it every week. Some of them still make me laugh, most notably (and recently) this one:

Null

Null

Just going off what I saw in the Clueless Gamer segment for Overwatch (Conan O'Brien playing with Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey), I have one thing to say about the game:

Widowmaker has possibly the most lovingly sculptured and polished ass on a videogame character ever. Like someone went to town on it with a chamois or something.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Just going off what I saw in the Clueless Gamer segment for Overwatch (Conan O'Brien playing with Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey), I have one thing to say about the game:

Widowmaker has possibly the most lovingly sculptured and polished ass on a videogame character ever. Like someone went to town on it with a chamois or something.
Oh you don't even know.

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1464903726,1464903694][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1464903737][/DOUBLEPOST]And so on...

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm sure the models have all been ripped and converted already.
One has but(t) to find them.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm sure the models have all been ripped and converted already.
One has but(t) to find them.

--Patrick
Oh yeah, Paheal is absolutely AWASH in Overwatch stuff.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Takedown notices have been going out, but that's going about as well as one would expect.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Takedown notices have been going out, but that's going about as well as one would expect.
Streisand-tastic.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You can't stop porn

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I was one of two people that did the rips for the sfm community. We had that shit pulled out months ago.

As for the takedown notices, blame Blizzard having a freak out over a GAWKER (kotaku) article making the porn out like a landslide right around release day. Blizzard is terrified of general audience backlash if they don't act like they disapprove of all the pornography, and GAWKER is notorious for starting shit. It will die down once the article vanishes from general conciousness and Blizzard can just ignore it again.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gawker can just eat so many bags of so many dicks.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, this game is, like, pretty good I hear.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Gawker can just eat so many bags of so many dicks.
Someone's already animating it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, this game is, like, pretty good I hear.
"Blizzard presents: Team Fortress 2, now with Waifus!"

I'll probably snag it once it goes under 20 bucks.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I was being sarcastic, I already own it on PC and PS4 :p

Null

Null

I was one of two people that did the rips for the sfm community. We had that shit pulled out months ago.

As for the takedown notices, blame Blizzard having a freak out over a GAWKER (kotaku) article making the porn out like a landslide right around release day. Blizzard is terrified of general audience backlash if they don't act like they disapprove of all the pornography, and GAWKER is notorious for starting shit. It will die down once the article vanishes from general conciousness and Blizzard can just ignore it again.
Dude, if I'm remembering your WoW stuff right, I can't wait to see your Overwatch stuff. If there is any. And there's no way that at least half of Blizzard isn't cranking it to Overwatch porn.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Null

Null

Console and PC? So... he's a daywalker?

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't think the game's cross-platform, so probably to play with various people.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't think the game's cross-platform, so probably to play with various people.
Ding, we have a winner.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah, but you'd have to play with console people, then. Doesn't seem worth it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Overwatch is killing it with over 7 million players.

Also, a little over 1500 people have been banned for hacks/cheating already.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

They actually have an brawl mode that is nothing but McCree called High Noon. I think that its even the one that cycles after Super Shimada Bros.

Also, 7 million sales. Even if we average out $50 per person (since some got it for $40 and some $60) that is $350 million dollars. That isn't even counting the loot box shop. I think Blizzard can chalk this up as a success, and it's only the first week.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah I was looking at the various Brawl modes and some of them sound pretty fun.

I'm not super keen on this week's, as Genji is a rough fight as Hanzo thanks to huge mobility and attack speed differences.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'm not super keen on this week's, as Genji is a rough fight as Hanzo thanks to huge mobility and attack speed differences.
As Hanzo you really just have to spam Scattered Shot as much as possible while defended by some Genjis, but ya if one side picked all Hanzo and the other side all Genji the Genji team would likely win pretty handily.

GasBandit

GasBandit

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Bowielee

Bowielee

All the cries of "nerf Bastion" are really getting old. He's super easy to counter.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

All the cries of "nerf Bastion" are really getting old. He's super easy to counter.
"Aww, that's cute."

-everyone that was in the beta

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, I got in AFTER the shield nerf for Bastion. But, man, there are so many ways to neutralize him. Mae can keep him walled up, Reaper can teleport behind him and take him out, any sniper can destroy him, Gengi can reflect everything back at him.... so many options.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

At this point I have more of an issue with an accurate Widowmaker than I do anyone else. Full-charge snipe is fucking devastating to even the meatiest tanks.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The real nerf coming is for McCree, buff for D.Va

Dei

Dei

Terrik and I are playing, if anyone wants to join us come on Vent.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

I'm getting a massive amount of ping lag. Makes the game hard to play

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm getting a massive amount of ping lag. Makes the game hard to play

I've had the same since launch, been unable to play anything other than bot games. I assumed it was my shitty connection.

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

I've had the same since launch, been unable to play anything other than bot games. I assumed it was my shitty connection.
It just started last night. I'm really hoping it's just peak time lag but I was getting some this morning also. I mostly play genji, pharah and roadhog so bad ping makes it a challenge.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

If it ain't Hanzo, it's Widow or Genji.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Luckily, I have no problem going support. At least in Overwatch the supports are actually fun to play.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't mind either, but I don't only want to play Support and the insta-lock players are rampant sometimes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Luckily, I have no problem going support. At least in Overwatch the supports are actually fun to play.
LET'S BREAK IT DOOOOOWN

PatrThom

PatrThom

Another winning nick.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

That moment when you think, "Hey, maybe I should try this game" - and then you look at the system requirements.

And you realize your graphics card would probably fry itself 30 minutes into the game.

Dei

Dei

That moment when you think, "Hey, maybe I should try this game" - and then you look at the system requirements.

And you realize your graphics card would probably fry itself 30 minutes into the game.
Here's the thing with Overwatch. You can play it at really low settings, and it will look like complete shit, I'm taking Sega/SNES here, but it won't stutter.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, what the fuck is the Overwatch fandom even...

This is just getting wierd.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, it's weird but harmless (and generally kinda funny).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Blizzard's next movie, Overwatch Babies.

Probably less bland than the Warcraft movie.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey now, have you seen the trailers? Billions of pixels are going to die!

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I find the Dad76 meme hilarious.

Have you even seen it?

While critics are destroying it (as we all know they would, I mean come on, video game movie), it's getting tons of positive word of mouth from actually WarCraft fans.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Have you even seen it?

While critics are destroying it (as we all know they would, I mean come on, video game movie), it's getting tons of positive word of mouth from actually WarCraft fans.
No, which is why I said probably.

You are going to orgasm so many times during that movie; it is near impossible for you more than anyone else on this forum to have an unbiased opinion about it :p.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And then there's this shit.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

You are going to orgasm so many times during that movie; it is near impossible for you more than anyone else on this forum to have an unbiased opinion about it :p.
Oh I agree. I just hate how much negative press it's getting considering many people are reviewing it without ever seeing it. Forbes outright sources their own review of the movie on three other reviews, rather then sending one of their own editors to watch it, and one review was from a guy that gave Dragon Ball Evolution a 4/5.

Even the Kotaku article smelled of someone that just hates WoW in general, as the person is a die-hard Final Fantasy XIV and Destiny fan. It's annoying to see such a critical backlash to the movie just because it's either "Not LOTR" or "Because it's a video game movie" or "fuck WoW, piece of shit", all the while the players have been saying it's actually pretty good.

In the end, I trust to go see it as a WarCraft fan, and will enjoy it accordingly for what it's supposed to be, rather then what other people think it should be.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The only opinion that will matter to Blizzard and the movie producers are the Warcraft fans, as they'll be the ones shelling out cash to see the movie more than once if they like it. Reviews won't sink this movie no matter how bad it might/might not be.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh I agree. I just hate how much negative press it's getting considering many people are reviewing it without ever seeing it. Forbes outright sources their own review of the movie on three other reviews, rather then sending one of their own editors to watch it, and one review was from a guy that gave Dragon Ball Evolution a 4/5.

Even the Kotaku article smelled of someone that just hates WoW in general, as the person is a die-hard Final Fantasy XIV and Destiny fan. It's annoying to see such a critical backlash to the movie just because it's either "Not LOTR" or "Because it's a video game movie" or "fuck WoW, piece of shit", all the while the players have been saying it's actually pretty good.

In the end, I trust to go see it as a WarCraft fan, and will enjoy it accordingly for what it's supposed to be, rather then what other people think it should be.
I'll be honest, I was skeptical that a Warcraft movie could ever be good, until I heard it was being helmed by Duncan Jones. Dude is mad talented, and listening to him in interviews, is a true fan that gets it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'll be honest, I was skeptical that a Warcraft movie could ever be good, until I heard it was being helmed by Duncan Jones. Dude is mad talented, and listening to him in interviews, is a true fan that gets it.
Yeah which is why fans seem to like it, he shows a lot of respect to the source material. The biggest critical issues I have heard fans talk about is...

1) It moves quick at the start, which can be disorienting, since it's trying to get a lot of information dumped on following both sides.
2) It has a lot of comments or references that only a player would get, leaving a general audience a little more clueless.
3) The human actors feel a bit wooden compared to the orc CGI actors, who supposedly steal the show with how detailed and emotional they get.

My wife and I plan to see it on Saturday.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My single biggest gripe about the movie (as it appears in the trailers), summed up in one comic:

128fb8d4449c60bfdf3692308082799c_500.png

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

My single biggest gripe about the movie (as it appears in the trailers), summed up in one comic:

View attachment 21204

--Patrick
Ya, I mean look at these bikini babes.

Yes, the marketing does show a lot of Garona, who is a half-orc, half-draenei, who was known in the lore to have more human then orc features, which she used to do her job as an assassin and saboteur, which is how she got close enough to murder King Llane and end the First War.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes, the marketing does show a lot of Garona, who is a half-orc, half-draenei
...because that's Marketing's job.
Also, this means I don't know near enough about the lore to comment, so thanks a lot for not mentioning the STORY, trailer guys.

--Patrick

fade

fade

The second photo helps your case. The first not so much.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The second photo helps your case. The first not so much.
You consider that a swimsuit model? THIS?

Also, it's a promo shot, it's not going to be hideous. Even the guys are not hideous in the promos, why would they be? It's still a far cry from "Men look like ugly brutes, women look like thin supermodels"

I talk to so many girls that want to fuck the brains out of Durotan it isn't even funny anymore.

fade

fade

Hey, don't judge my taste in swimsuit models. Grrrowl.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, they had to pretty the orcs up, of course. And give them piercing blue eyes.

PatrThom

PatrThom

iu.jpeg

You devil, you.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Touche ;)

Null

Null

I heard somewhere that Duncan Jones is still an active WoW player, and Max Kazinsky, who plays Orgrim, was a *professional* WoW player, making a living playing 14-16 hours a day at one point. Bill Westenhofer, the VFX supervisor for the film, is a long time WoW player as well and would actually do raids with his guilds at 2am while working on other films. So it makes sense that it would be a film that people who are really into Warcraft would get.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I, too had often said "OH OF COURSE IT'S THE ONE WHERE I GET KILLED" in this situation.

Dei

Dei

Playing Mercy be like

GasBandit

GasBandit

Playing Mercy be like

"You idiots really couldn't be arsed to move out of the way of the slowly approaching dragon?"

I could tell you hesitated for a moment, and considered not rezzing them.

Dei

Dei

"You idiots really couldn't be arsed to move out of the way of the slowly approaching dragon?"

I could tell you hesitated for a moment, and considered not rezzing them.
Yeah, but it was an achievement, so, you know.

Dei

Dei

SOMETIMES @Terrik and I get along.

Terrik

Terrik

But only sometimes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Technically, even when she's healing you, she's still shooting you.

Null

Null

Technically, even when she's healing you, she's still shooting you.
It truly is the best of both worlds?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Getting a POTG for the healer and not someone else getting a perfunctory double-kill is a victory in and of itself.

Dei

Dei

Getting a POTG for the healer and not someone else getting a perfunctory double-kill is a victory in and of itself.
A lot of the PotGs Terrik and I see are Junkrat tires. -_-

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Junkrat tires, BasTurret and Torb running around like an idiot while his turret does all the work are what I see the most.

Sometimes my friend snags it as D.Va, and my brother does pretty well getting them with Reinhardt. I've managed mostly with Pharah and Junkrat (but not always with a tire!).

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

A lot of the PotGs Terrik and I see are Junkrat tires. -_-
I once healed a Winston through a full team-kill as Mercy that won us a control point. PotG was a tire double-kill from the other team. -_-

GasBandit

GasBandit

I once healed a Winston through a full team-kill as Mercy that won us a control point. PotG was a tire double-kill from the other team. -_-
What gets picked as POTG is so wierd. One time I got POTG as Winston, on a match we lost, when I popped my ultimate and only managed to kill two people, then got a third (who was Mercy) with my electro-gun immediately before dying to the three remaining opponents.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I wonder if whatever algorithm the game uses to pick the PotG is affected by how many players had assists on the kills? So if someone goes on a rampage backed by a healer, the healer involvement (or other player(s) doing damage) somehow dilutes the kills so they count less when it becomes time to pick a play?

Maybe its the same with zone captures. I can definitely see how one might score a solo capture of a zone as a better play than doing so with a full court press.

Terrik

Terrik

The real solution is to film your games and make your own PotG. That is why I vow to do just that.

Dei

Dei

That's basically what my last posted clip was. Fuck that Junkrat. (I think I might have gotten potg if we had actually won that round)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The real solution is to film your games and make your own PotG. That is why I vow to do just that.
That's basically what my last posted clip was. Fuck that Junkrat. (I think I might have gotten potg if we had actually won that round)

Fuck you guys, I'm gonna go make my own play of the game. With blackjack... and hookers!

You know what, never mind the play of the game part.

Dei

Dei

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I don't know the specifics of how the system works, but from what I understand, it rates certain actions with a score, then that score slowly degrades. The POTG is the highest SPIKE of this score, so let's assume a kill is 10 points, an assist is 5 points, and that it degrades at 1 point per second.

A Soldier76 uses his ult and starts gunning people down. He kills one guy (10) but two seconds pass before he kills the next (18), followed by another that he nearly kills but then has to reload, allowing an ally McCree to get the killing blow two more seconds later (21).

A Junkrat attacks a point and his bombs tickle five enemies for some damage. He then uses his riptire, and gets two kills instantly (20). At nearly the same time, his team is coming in from the other side and kills the three remaining giving him assists (34)

Torbjorn is sitting in the back on his turret. The enemies come in and the turret starts shooting, and due to the enemies either moving forward or backing off, the turret at some point has hit all of them. As they push Torbjorn uses Molten Core, and his rockets obliterate one enemy, gets the killing blow on another, scatters the rest for the rest of the team to pick off, allowing them to get a team kill over the next four seconds. Since the turret at some point had hit all six of them, he would get 10+10+5+5+5+5-4 (36) and giving him the play of the game for that match.

This is just breaking it down to the basics, there are other things taken into account headshots, damage done, whether the enemy you hit is on the ground or in the air, shutting down an in progress ult, etc.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't know the specifics of how the system works, but from what I understand, it rates certain actions with a score, then that score slowly degrades. The POTG is the highest SPIKE of this score, so let's assume a kill is 10 points, an assist is 5 points, and that it degrades at 1 point per second.

A Soldier76 uses his ult and starts gunning people down. He kills one guy (10) but two seconds pass before he kills the next (18), followed by another that he nearly kills but then has to reload, allowing an ally McCree to get the killing blow two more seconds later (21).

A Junkrat attacks a point and his bombs tickle five enemies for some damage. He then uses his riptire, and gets two kills instantly (20). At nearly the same time, his team is coming in from the other side and kills the three remaining giving him assists (34)

Torbjorn is sitting in the back on his turret. The enemies come in and the turret starts shooting, and due to the enemies either moving forward or backing off, the turret at some point has hit all of them. As they push Torbjorn uses Molten Core, and his rockets obliterate one enemy, gets the killing blow on another, scatters the rest for the rest of the team to pick off, allowing them to get a team kill over the next four seconds. Since the turret at some point had hit all six of them, he would get 10+10+5+5+5+5-4 (36) and giving him the play of the game for that match.

This is just breaking it down to the basics, there are other things taken into account headshots, damage done, whether the enemy you hit is on the ground or in the air, shutting down an in progress ult, etc.
This is basically how I've heard it works as well (my brother did some research through videos and forums posts and what-not). Score spikes are pretty big in determining PotG, and points are higher when you kill enemies on your point/payload or while they defend their own. This is one of the reasons Bastion/Torb/Riptires are PotG so often, they get huge score boosts for multi-kills while defending points.

Lastly there's the category-style PotGs (Sharpshooter, Lifesaver, Shutdown) that can edge out the default high-score Play, though they're much tougher to pull off. Sharpshooter for insanely high accuracy and skill-shots, such as killing while one or both are moving, distance, headshots, etc. Lifesaver for stopping an opponent from killing your team (killing a Riptire as it's about to get a multikill, a Reinhardt pinning a teammate, etc). Lastly Shutdown is for stopping big plays, like Ultimates. Most of these the game has to basically calculate what-if scenarios for the play/character that you've stopped, so that could be the reason a particularly great kill or save gets looked over.

GasBandit

GasBandit

How many spike points is it for Torbjorn to stare at Widowmaker's ass while his turret gets 3 kills?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Welp, I can resist anything but temptation. >_<

Dei

Dei

Welp, I can resist anything but temptation. hanging out with Dei and Terrik >_<
ftfy

Dei

Dei

Out of context Overwatch quotes, by Terrik:

" I just want to make a short video of my awesome hooking skills"

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Some days, I have a string of good, fun games and I log out feeling pretty good.

Other days, like today, I have two really shitty games where I die more often than red-shirted Enterprise crewmen and decide to call it a night before I throw my mouse out the window.

Dei

Dei

I know I have forum people on my friends list, who I have no idea who they are. If you see me, or Terrik, or Gas playing, feel free to pop on vent and play with us.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I changed my tag last month, it's now MindTheMoose.

Far

Far

I'm Knightoff. I see both of you on occasionally, will send you invites now that I know who you are :p

Terrik

Terrik

Some highlights from this evening's game with @Dei

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've never tried Roadhog. Maybe I should.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've never tried Roadhog. Maybe I should.
He's fun, though also a great bullet sponge to let the other team charge their Ults.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

My only issue with Roadhog is that I can't seem to nail the hook combo. I either completely miss the hook, or I get the hook, and my follow-up shot does little to no damage (whether I use RMB or LMB). I sometimes wonder it there is a latency issue because I know for a fact Roadhog does more damage to me when he gets the hook.

Dei

Dei

He's fun, though also a great bullet sponge to let the other team charge their Ults.
He's also a great healing sponge for Mercy's ult at the same time. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Some highlights from this evening's game with @Dei

I don't think you mean last night, do you? I don't recognize any of that, and you and Dei were the only ones talking. Maybe you meant night before last?

Maybe even earlier, given that your mic is working correctly and it hasn't been doing so for at least 3 days.

Terrik

Terrik

I don't think you mean last night, do you? I don't recognize any of that, and you and Dei were the only ones talking. Maybe you meant night before last?

Maybe even earlier, given that your mic is working correctly and it hasn't been doing so for at least 3 days.
We played again afteryou went to bed so I could try new recording settings.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We played again afteryou went to bed so I could try new recording settings.
So THAT'S why none of my Yosemite Sam-esque tirades of profanity are present in the background from the multiple times I failed at Winston-ing.

Dei

Dei

So THAT'S why none of my Yosemite Sam-esque tirades of profanity are present in the background from the multiple times I failed at Winston-ing.
Yeah, he was using OBS and didn't actually fix any settings when recording earlier, so his earlier stuff was all very low quality.

Dei

Dei

Meanwhile, this is the amusement that is me trying to shoot people on Mercy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, he was using OBS and didn't actually fix any settings when recording earlier, so his earlier stuff was all very low quality.
One of these days you'll have to show me the trick to getting OBS working right, I could never get it to record anything at all. Then I won't have to use fraps.

Terrik

Terrik

One of these days you'll have to show me the trick to getting OBS working right, I could never get it to record anything at all. Then I won't have to use fraps.
Even I could do it, and I'm an idiot.

Dei

Dei

Even I could do it, and I'm an idiot.
I gave Terrik a settings link, (he's an idiot, true) I'll look it up when I'm home.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

If I see you guys on tonight I will join a few quick games. Last night I just wanted to solo queue for the mystery brawl, which is my favorite of the brawls.

Dei

Dei

I'm also almost always streaming to twitch when we play, if you want to watch me be terrible at FPSing.

twitch.tv/annadei

PatrThom

PatrThom

Welp, I can resist anything but temptation. >_<
Hey I'd be right there with you if I could spare the time.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Terrik had the best game of his life tonight, so of course, someone got salty and reported him for aimbotting lol.

Terrik

Terrik

And here are the two rounds in question where I got accused of aimbotting.

With rockets.

Dei

Dei

McCree just mad that his aim was shit. ^_^

Terrik

Terrik

McCree just mad that his aim was shit. ^_^
Maybe the aimbot helped me fire that rocket into his back while he was stationary on the stairs.

Dei

Dei

My PoV of this match is at

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, for some reason I'm unable to upload to youtube from home.. Tried all night and it was only at 6% this morning. I'll try again from work here in an hour or so.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Apparently it's just my home ISP being a bitch. Again.

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1465580569,1465580320][/DOUBLEPOST]

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Oh god, the D.Va doing the emote taunt before getting Rein-railroaded and the one getting trapped into their own ult nearly killed me.

GasBandit

GasBandit

A closer look at the icon for Reinhardt's ultimate -

PatrThom

PatrThom

And here are the two rounds in question where I got accused of aimbotting.

With rockets.

I feel like Eye in the Sky might've been a better choice. Maybe next time?

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

I feel like Eye in the Sky might've been a better choice. Maybe next time?

--Patrick
YES.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That all looks like fun. Can't wait to join y'all. Maybe some time in 2017.
You know, when nobody cares about this game any more.
Bleah. Stupid Games-Saving Time.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'd recommend being sparing with the copyrighted music in your videos :p

Dei

Dei

It's not as if he's trying to be a hundredaire like you.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'd recommend being sparing with the copyrighted music in your videos :p
ContentMatch can be such a KillJoy.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's not as if he's trying to be a hundredaire like you.
Depending on who you piss off, and how egregious the number of your copyright dings, Youtube has been known to close accounts and delete videos.

I think I get let off the hook because, even though ad revenue makes me a hundredaire, it makes youtube a thousandaire, so they might cut me a little more leeway since only a small percentage of my videos get copyright dings :p (And usually, youtube still gets their cut of the monetization, it's just my share goes to Taylor Swift or Psy.)

Dei

Dei

@Terrik and I should just play Pharah and Mercy forever.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

McCree spits hot fire

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Not sure if I saw this posted before here or on tumblr, but since it got put into the Blizzard launcher today I thought it would be a good time to post again. Awesome fan made music mix.
(Bonus: Listen at 1.25 speed for what I feel is the most upbeat experience.)

Dei

Dei

There were a few missteps here, because @Terrik and I are a comedy of errors, but here's another video.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

GasBandit

GasBandit

Terrik

Terrik

There were a few missteps here, because @Terrik and I are a comedy of errors, but here's another video.

I still cannot believe we actually capped the point behind their backs.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Zarya's got a mini rocket jump. Thanks to her regen shield it can be used twice without worry of hp damage.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, when do you guys play, I'd love to actually play with a premade instead of randos. My regular teammates have been super busy so I've been doing nothing but PUGs.

My best heroes are Mae, Symmetra, Reinhardt and Junkrat, my worst are Hanzo and Widowmaker, which is weird, because I usually gravitate towards snipers in these types of games.

Dei

Dei

Well you can play with me and @Terrik , but we'll end up abandoning you in the name of maintaining air superiority. ;) Just ask poor abandoned @GasBandit .[DOUBLEPOST=1465701998,1465701572][/DOUBLEPOST]
So, when do you guys play, I'd love to actually play with a premade instead of randos. My regular teammates have been super busy so I've been doing nothing but PUGs.

My best heroes are Mae, Symmetra, Reinhardt and Junkrat, my worst are Hanzo and Widowmaker, which is weird, because I usually gravitate towards snipers in these types of games.
Also, do I have you friended? What's your b.net name?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well you can play with me and @Terrik , but we'll end up abandoning you in the name of maintaining air superiority. ;) Just ask poor abandoned @GasBandit .[DOUBLEPOST=1465701998,1465701572][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, do I have you friended? What's your b.net name?
I have both you and Terrik on my friends list. My username is Darsiek#1741

Terrik

Terrik

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

EMBRACE CHAOS

Gryfter

Gryfter

He's not wrong.... Junkrat is my go to.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah I love Junkrat. I don't do as much mine-jumping as most people but Goddamn I love leaving them on the Payload and watching my kill count as I run away giggling.

Dei

Dei

I hate both of you. ;)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I hate both of you. ;)
If at first you don't succeed

BLOW IT UP AGAIN

Dei

Dei

Matt Mercer is McCree's voice actor, and he also admitted that when he's playing online, he'll say "It's High Noon." just to troll people.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

There's a stream recording of Lucio's VA where he randomly shouts OH LET'S BREAK IT DOWN and you can see the other team panic a little.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It begins. I started posting Overwatch videos, and not coincidentally, I've started slowly bleeding off subscribers :D

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Took a couple days away from the game, hopefully I haven't rusted over too much.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It begins. I started posting Overwatch videos, and not coincidentally, I've started slowly bleeding off subscribers :D
They've heard rumors you like Bastion, that you've sold out.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

You know, I THOUGHT I'd seen' Gabriel "Reaper" Reyes somewhere before...

[DOUBLEPOST=1465836983,1465836844][/DOUBLEPOST]
They've heard rumors you like Bastion, that you've sold out.

--Patrick
Heh, I only switch to bastion when I'm pissed off as hell on defense.

Otherwise, I pretty much evenly rotate between Soldier76 and Winston on offense, and I almost always go Torbjorn on defense now. I even get POTGs where my turret isn't even shooting anybody!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'll have to go looking for it when I get home, but someone on 4chan compiled an image of all the BTag users that seem to main Reaper in pub games. 90% of them are full-on edgy teen names like XTheShadowX and MurderDeath69, and even Edgelord.

Terrik

Terrik

You know, I THOUGHT I'd seen' Gabriel "Reaper" Reyes somewhere before...

[DOUBLEPOST=1465836983,1465836844][/DOUBLEPOST]
Heh, I only switch to bastion when I'm pissed off as hell on defense.

Otherwise, I pretty much evenly rotate between Soldier76 and Winston on offense, and I almost always go Torbjorn on defense now. I even get POTGs where my turret isn't even shooting anybody!

Probably because your turret never survives.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'll have to go looking for it when I get home, but someone on 4chan compiled an image of all the BTag users that seem to main Reaper in pub games. 90% of them are full-on edgy teen names like XTheShadowX and MurderDeath69, and even Edgelord.
https://twitter.com/reapernames

CktrbuQVAAEbqsy.jpg

CkzjxI4VAAAjWQX.jpg

CkzTkF7UkAEoeyj.jpg

Been waiting for an excuse to post that link. :)

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Backstabbath" really got me in the funny bone.

PatrThom

PatrThom

"Backstabbath" really got me in the funny bone.
Plenty more on @reapernames where those came from.

Ckm1E-OUYAAPwph.jpg

--Patrick

Null

Null

Part of me really wants to hear a list of those Reaper names read out loud by the Honest Trailers guy.

Dei

Dei

Anytime @Terrik plays as Reaper, I tell him his name isn't emo enough.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dunkey's at it again!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bowielee

Bowielee

I actually played against Nooblord. He was very good.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I actually played against Nooblord. He was very good.
How do you know it's the same NOOBLORD?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nobody who plays Reaper is "good."

/salt
/salty
/so salty

Null

Null

Nobody who plays Reaper is "good."

/salt
/salty
/so salty
Just "better than you"?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just "better than you"?
[INARTICULATE RAGE]

Terrik

Terrik

I...don't really have problems with reaper. Maybe because its either A. I'm playing Pharah and and I'm in the air and Repear's short range weapons suck against me and/or B. I play a shit ton of road hog a good hook/junk gun combo one-shots him.

Dei

Dei

I will hate Junkrat tires forever.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I will hate Junkrat tires forever.
Happy Birthdaaaay~

Dei

Dei

Once it loads, here's another vid of me and @Terrik being awesome.

(And I guess that OMG IT'S A FULL HALFORUMS GROUP is important or something)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That was fantastic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, when do you guys play?

Dei

Dei

Around 9/10EST for 2 or 3 hours. IN theory. If Terrik stays strong with his sleep/study schedule. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Around 9/10EST for 2 or 3 hours. IN theory. If Terrik stays strong with his sleep/study schedule. ;)
I just noticed in your video, you seem to have the character voices muted. How do you know when it's high noon?!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Because it's High Noon somewhere in the world.

Dei

Dei

I just noticed in your video, you seem to have the character voices muted. How do you know when it's high noon?!
1.) Team voice are always quieter
2.) Enemy team is always louder

ALSO: Patch Notes
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745235963

A new patch is now live on Windows PC. Read below to learn more about the latest changes.

To share your feedback, please post in the General Discussion forum.
For a list of known issues, visit our Bug Report forum.
For troubleshooting assistance, visit our Technical Support forum.

Please note that many of these changes will be rolled into a larger patch for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One at a later date.

HERO BALANCE CHANGES

McCree

Peacekeeper
Alternate Fire
Recovery time (i.e. the amount of time before McCree starts reloading) decreased from 0.75 seconds to 0.3 seconds
Bullet damage decreased from 70 to 45

Developer Comments: McCree was performing too well against all targets, making him feel like a must-pick in many situations. By reducing the damage of his alternate fire, McCree is now significantly weaker against tanks like Roadhog and Reinhardt, but still maintains his lethality against smaller targets like Tracer and Genji.

Widowmaker

Widow’s Kiss
Alternate Fire (Scoped Shot)
Base damage decreased from 15 to 12
Note: Scoped shot damage multiplier remains unchanged
Headshot damage multiplier increased from 2x to 2.5x
Players must now wait for the unscoping animation to completely finish before scoping

Infra-Sight
Ultimate cost increased by 10%

Developer Comments: In the right hands, Widowmaker can often feel unstoppable—even when just landing body shots instead of critical heads shots. The changes to her alternate fire weaken body shot damage while leaving her headshot damage unchanged. Additionally, we felt her Ultimate ability, Infra-Sight, was coming up a little too frequently, especially considering its impact on the game.

BUG FIXES

General

Improved stability of the High Bandwidth option in Custom Games

Heroes

Fixed a bug that allowed Mercy to gain Ultimate charge whenever damage boosting an ally who was attacking a barrier or Ice Wall
Fixed a bug that allowed Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations on a certain maps

Maps

Fixed an issue with collision on certain areas of Dorado not blocking line of sight

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

McCree change seems okay. I worry that it's going to be a lot harder to kill Roadhogs but Reaper/snipers should still do fine.

I think the missed the point with Widow, though. It's not quickscoping that was the main issue, it's that she charges to 100% in no time and thanks to that can still bodyshot the hell out of most people and kill in two shots. Headshots will completely melt people. More charge needed for her Ult is a good step, though, it definitely charged too fast.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1.) Team voice are always quieter
2.) Enemy team is always louder
Yeah, but notice in your video at 3:40 the enemy hanzo fired off his ultimate but you didn't hear the "RYUGA WAGA TICKY WA KAROO!" (Though you did hear the wolf howl part) or Zarya's russian babble when she did her ultimate soon after. I could just barely hear your own callout when you rezzed terrik right after that, though, but it was pretty buried in the noise.[DOUBLEPOST=1465927122,1465926997][/DOUBLEPOST]
McCree change seems okay. I worry that it's going to be a lot harder to kill Roadhogs but Reaper/snipers should still do fine.

I think the missed the point with Widow, though. It's not quickscoping that was the main issue, it's that she charges to 100% in no time and thanks to that can still bodyshot the hell out of most people and kill in two shots. Headshots will completely melt people. More charge needed for her Ult is a good step, though, it definitely charged too fast.
They weakened her body shots and left her headshots unchanged, when all is said and done (they weakened base damage, left power multiplier the same which still is weaker because the base damage is lower, but then increased the headshot multiplier so that headshot damage is same as pre patch).

As for roadhog, the trick is definitely range and headshots. Even on soldier 76 I'm able to do pretty decent damage to him as long as he doesn't hook me and I can get headshots.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hanzo's wolf skin Ult has been a complaint for awhile now, even playing as him I've noticed it's super quiet.

The only other one that always bugs me is Mei's Ult phrase, as she sounds like she's dying, not tossing out her little Blizz-buddy.[DOUBLEPOST=1465927267,1465927158][/DOUBLEPOST]And yeah, I get that they lowered Widow's base snipe damage, but the charge rate is what allows her to toss out so much damage so quickly. Granted I haven't played with the changes, so maybe it worked out.

Dei

Dei

Yeah, but notice in your video at 3:40 the enemy hanzo fired off his ultimate but you didn't hear the "RYUGA WAGA TICKY WA KAROO!" (Though you did hear the wolf howl part) or Zarya's russian babble when she did her ultimate soon after. I could just barely hear your own callout when you rezzed terrik right after that, though, but it was pretty buried in the noise.[DOUBLEPOST=1465927122,1465926997][/DOUBLEPOST]
They weakened her body shots and left her headshots unchanged, when all is said and done (they weakened base damage, left power multiplier the same which still is weaker because the base damage is lower, but then increased the headshot multiplier so that headshot damage is same as pre patch).

As for roadhog, the trick is definitely range and headshots. Even on soldier 76 I'm able to do pretty decent damage to him as long as he doesn't hook me and I can get headshots.
I can always hear it fine, so I assume it's a video thing.

I'm streaming when we play, so everything is just an export from Twitch to YouTube.

Dei

Dei

Also, watching my own video was making me dizzy. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Headshots are supposed to melt people, the issue always was bodyshot spam combined with quickscoping, and this knocks it down a ton. Now Tracer and Zenyatta can actually survive a Widowmaker bodyshot and the Widowmaker actually has a penalty for trying to go in and out of scoped mode. We will have to see how it plays out, but in my opinion they are good changes without removing her core, which is high damage headshots.

GasBandit

GasBandit

On a semi-related note, last night was the first time I noticed that the game gives you an auditory cue for when you've made a headshot. Kind of a quiet metallic hihat noise that I hadn't noticed before. It's really helped me improve my damage on Soldier76, as I'm learning where to shoot that constitutes a headshot much better.[DOUBLEPOST=1465940338,1465940030][/DOUBLEPOST]Even Critical Miss is getting in on the act.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

On a semi-related note, last night was the first time I noticed that the game gives you an auditory cue for when you've made a headshot. Kind of a quiet metallic hihat noise that I hadn't noticed before. It's really helped me improve my damage on Soldier76, as I'm learning where to shoot that constitutes a headshot much better.[DOUBLEPOST=1465940338,1465940030][/DOUBLEPOST]Even Critical Miss is getting in on the act.

The hit indicator also flashes with a red X shape every time you nail a headshot.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The hit indicator also flashes with a red X shape every time you nail a headshot.
Yeah, but I am a lot better with auditory cues than visual ones.

Dei

Dei

Terrik

Terrik

I am so cute

GasBandit

GasBandit

Needs a tiny little soldier76 way down on the ground under them grumpy about doing all the heavy lifting :p

Dei

Dei

Clearly we need to hire a forumite to do fanart for us.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've got last night's epic 99% overtime struggle rendering at home, will upload it this afternoon probably. It doesn't make me look very good though... all I do is die, whine, respawn, rush back to the fight and die again :p

And fail at jumping.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I really hope to make time to play tonight. Been so busy with other things and last night I was so exhausted I couldn't even log on to the computer.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I really hope to make time to play tonight. Been so busy with other things and last night I was so exhausted I couldn't even log on to the computer.
I feel ya.
I haven't logged into any Blizzard game in many days.
Checking for today's Hearthstone brawl is going to be the first time I've turned on my PC (the one I game with) in what, a week?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Terrik

Terrik

Reinhart is apparently your mortal enemy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

A thought occurred to me: Is there already some sort of "Which Overwatch hero are you?" quiz out there?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Reinhart is apparently your mortal enemy.
It's especially chagrinning (is that even a word) because, unlike Reaper, I know you have to actually know what you're doing to play Reinhardt >_<

A thought occurred to me: Is there already some sort of "Which Overwatch hero are you?" quiz out there?

--Patrick
Innumerable.

Dei

Dei

It's especially chagrinning (is that even a word) because, unlike Reaper, I know you have to actually know what you're doing to play Reinhardt >_<

Innumerable.
So tell us again how awesome you are at Reaper?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

GasBandit

GasBandit

So tell us again how awesome you are at Reaper?
I can't play reaper right because I keep trying to use skill, and only the unskilled can excel at Reaper.

Terrik

Terrik

I can't play reaper right because I keep trying to use skill, and only the unskilled can excel at Reaper.
It does take skill to leap off to your death as an ult'd Winston, it's true.

PatrThom

PatrThom

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....!

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Actually, I was knocked off to my death by Pharah's knockback missile, I just botched the midair-jump to rescue myself. That's why I was griping about how Ultimate Winston should be immune to knockback :p

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ult Winston is a walking knockback, something has to be able to slow him down.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ult Winston is a walking knockback, something has to be able to slow him down.
Generally, it's balanced by doing shit for damage, both in ult and regularly.

Dei

Dei

I've got last night's epic 99% overtime struggle rendering at home, will upload it this afternoon probably. It doesn't make me look very good though... all I do is die, whine, respawn, rush back to the fight and die again [emoji14]

And fail at jumping.
I'm pretty sure that's how you spend 99% of all games. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm pretty sure that's how you spend 99% of all games. [emoji14]
Just the last couple nights :mad:

PatrThom

PatrThom

You guys, stop making it sound like so much fun.
Otherwise I'm gonna buy it, play twice, and then everyone will be over it.
Just like Don't Starve.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just like Don't Starve.

--Patrick
If you buy it right now, then you can get in on it while everyone's crazy about it. :p

I'm getting a lot better with D. Va. Even with a shitty team, I've been able to help stall things out in hopes that they'll arrive and die quickly.

Dei

Dei

Just like Don't Starve.

--Patrick
Gas and I played Don't Starve for a solid month, just no one ever wanted to play with us. :'(

PatrThom

PatrThom

Gas and I played Don't Starve for a solid month, just no one ever wanted to play with us. :'(
I played with y'all at least half as much as I was able.
Which was twice.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Except Terrik occasionally came by to murder and eat our pet birds.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

To be fair Winston's Ult isn't about damage anyway, it's about having more health than anyone else so you can knock them around and hopefully off a cliff.

Personally I prefer to Roadhog Ult if I want to push people off ledges.

Also, Overwatch is up to 10m players, apparently.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I use Winston's Ult to clear the point. Works great.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, he's amazing at breaking a defense. Suffers a bit in things like pushing or solo fights, but if you need to completely wreck a blockade he's your primate.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I mostly use Winston as a harasser to try to knock the other team off their focus, by leaping around into their backfield, zapping who I can (which as often as not doesn't kill anybody), dropping a barrier when they start to shoot at me, and hopefully by then the 5 second cooldown has elapsed on my jump so that I can leap away. Then ALSO hopefully, my team has started advancing and shooting them in the back, which also doesn't happen as often as not :p

But there has been the odd match where we were completely bottled up in our spawn (like the first Volskaya chokepoint with the truck and whatnot), and I managed to jump over/around their defenses to go get on the capture point, which leads them to run back to it, and let the rest of the team out.

But more and more often, my most effective attack character continues to be good ol' vanilla Soldier 76.

I wish I had thought to put up the entirety of that defense match in egypt where we went 5 S76's and one Symmetra (because Dei hates fun). That thing was an amazing stompfest, the other team couldn't get beyond the first chokepoint either.

Dei

Dei

I mostly use Winston as a harasser to try to knock the other team off their focus, by leaping around into their backfield, zapping who I can (which as often as not doesn't kill anybody), dropping a barrier when they start to shoot at me, and hopefully by then the 5 second cooldown has elapsed on my jump so that I can leap away. Then ALSO hopefully, my team has started advancing and shooting them in the back, which also doesn't happen as often as not [emoji14]

But there has been the odd match where we were completely bottled up in our spawn (like the first Volskaya chokepoint with the truck and whatnot), and I managed to jump over/around their defenses to go get on the capture point, which leads them to run back to it, and let the rest of the team out.

But more and more often, my most effective attack character continues to be good ol' vanilla Soldier 76.

I wish I had thought to put up the entirety of that defense match in egypt where we went 5 S76's and one Symmetra (because Dei hates fun). That thing was an amazing stompfest, the other team couldn't get beyond the first chokepoint either.
*because Dei would not have been able to shoot anyone unless she was using her ult*

Though, I do think it would not have worked as well without my turrets and teleporter. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

*because Dei would not have been able to shoot anyone unless she was using her ult*

Though, I do think it would not have worked as well without my turrets and teleporter. [emoji14]
I'll admit, the turrets and teleporter were very handy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wait, I just realized what you were really saying... that you don't think you can perform well on a character that has to aim manually? I've seen you play Zarya pretty well though!

Dei

Dei

Zarya is both short range, or randomly lobbing long range grenades. My aim is shit. Trust me, I have the video and stats to back it up. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

PUSH GOD DAMMIT

PatrThom

PatrThom

Why is that backwards?
I mean, the watermark is forwards, but Solder76's jacket is backwards.
Did jhano steal that from someone who writes right-to-left?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Why is that backwards?
I mean, the watermark is forwards, but Solder76's jacket is backwards.
Did jhano steal that from someone who writes right-to-left?

--Patrick
He originally drew the sprite facing the other way, and just mirrored it for this animation, I bet.

76 is also right handed, not left.

Dei

Dei

@GasBandit the weekly brawl was made for you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

@GasBandit the weekly brawl was made for you.
Gah, no, it's no fun if the OTHER team is ALSO all Soldier 76! :cry:

Dei

Dei

Hey, guys, I just got Pharah's cute spray before Terrik. Everyone mock him now.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I got two in the same game last week, which was pretty awesome. Roadhog's Cute spray and McCree's Pixel spray.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I got two loot boxes last night and got nothing good

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I got two loot boxes last night and got nothing good
GREY

GREY

BLUE

GREY

Every time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GREY

GREY

BLUE

GREY

Every time.
I get purple shit for characters I never play, like Hanzo.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I get purple shit for characters I never play, like Hanzo.
images.jpg

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

Because Gasbandit can't aim properly enough to jump through an opening 10 ft wide, let alone aim accurately enough to snipe with a weapon that requires you to lead your target.

Remember, his favorite character has an ultimate that doesn't require you to aim :p

Dei

Dei

Because Gasbandit can't aim properly enough to jump through an opening 10 ft wide, let alone aim accurately enough to snipe with a weapon that requires you to lead your target.

Remember, his favorite character has an ultimate that doesn't require you to aim :p
And you play someone that shoots AE rockets and you still haven't managed to kill 4 people while in the air. :x

Terrik

Terrik

And you play sometime that shoots AE rockets and you still haven't managed to kill 4 people while in the air. :x
All of my kills are a work of art, and you can't rush art.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Or even complete it, apparently.

Terrik

Terrik

Or even complete it, apparently.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Strange games today.

Fought against six Torbjorns.
Fought on a team of six Tracers.
Fought against six Symmetras, which would've been easy except everyone else on my team was Hanzo ... on a payload map. I was the only one trying for the payload. You can imagine how that went.

Other games, it felt like I had half a team. Where were the other three? No clue. Special mention to the incompetent Symmetra who placed the teleporter outside the base entrance, meaning you'd teleport all of three feet. Woo.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

This week's Brawl is hilarious. Feels like Cawadoody, but with more GET OFF MY LAWNs.

Null

Null

They're more valuable after you're dead?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Fuckin' ruined some nights with Riptire and my brother on Zarya tonight.

feelsgoodman.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Another video from a couple nights ago. I start out as Soldier 76, but keep getting my butt kicked, so after my first death in the second round, I switch to the healing pokemon, Lucario.

Dei

Dei

I always enjoy how Terrik is shocked that my healing done is so low when he knows damn well I spend most of the time using blue beam.

ALSO, so much vote betrayal. :(

Terrik

Terrik

I always enjoy how Terrik is shocked that my healing done is so low when he knows damn well I spend most of the time using blue beam.

ALSO, so much vote betrayal. :(
You can always count on a vote from Gas.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Did someone say BETRAYAL?

Dei

Dei

You can always count on a vote from Gas.
BUT YOU ARE THE ONE I'M FOLLOWING AROUND YOU SELFISH COCK GARGLER. /GB

:p

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

It's just nice when a rando plays Lucio, so that me and Gas can get a heal.

Dei

Dei

It's just nice when a rando plays Lucio, so that me and Gas can get a heal.
Look, I gave Gas a pity res in that video! It's all he needs.