[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

I can't believe people think Zenyatta has problems, because hot damn.

He could use a little more health, though, I suppose, as his playstyle needs to be a little aggressive to make good use of Discord and Charge Shots.

I can't believe people think Zenyatta has problems, because hot damn.

He could use a little more health, though, I suppose, as his playstyle needs to be a little aggressive to make good use of Discord and Charge Shots.
He used to be insane. His orb of harmony and orb of discord were originally fire and forget, they'd stick to their target forever as long as Zenyatta is alive.

He used to be insane. His orb of harmony and orb of discord were originally fire and forget, they'd stick to their target forever as long as Zenyatta is alive.
See I get that nerf, that would have been way too good. After a couple more games I can see that maybe the LoS on them needs to last a tiiiiiiny bit longer before the orb returns (at least the heal orb), but all in all I think he's pretty well-off right now if you can play aggressively without going overboard.

This game thrives on bullshit.
It thrives on people who don't swap heroes to counter shit like Bastion/Mei/snipers. That's what was getting me into a white-hot fury before I stopped trying to "main" someone and worked on building a stable.

Of course then I swap to someone who can melt the nasty defenders, and the rest of the team's fucking around 50 miles away from the Objective and I end up dead anyway.

It thrives on people who don't swap heroes to counter shit like Bastion/Mei/snipers. That's what was getting me into a white-hot fury before I stopped trying to "main" someone and worked on building a stable.
Yup, I like to think of each map as a puzzle. We see what the defenders are using and consider what "comp" we can work with that can cover our weaknesses to them, while exploiting their weaknesses. Yes, some comps are difficult to handle, but that is only because the team worked together to get such a comp as a well oiled monster machine. Example, last night I got rolled over by a Bastion Train. The train wouldn't have been so bad if not for the fact it was FOUR of them, with a Reinhardt handling front shielding and a mercy in the back healing. The Mercy was actually really good and keeping herself defended by the two rear Bastions, all the while healing. When we destroyed the train with a well placed ult or two, the Mercy would have her Res ready and would just bring the train right back up. I actually had to applaud them for working together, even if it felt a fit cheesy. I think if I could have convinced my team to go mostly Zaryas and Junkrats we probably could have blowns it up KAMIKAZE STYLE, but my side was an actual random pug and not a well oiled pre-made of friends goofing around.

The same group the next match stacked Mei with a WM and Roadhog, but I finally got my group to listen a bit and we pushed out of the spawn. I changed to I think four or five different characters ending with D.VA, since her mobility allowed me to really screw with the Mei team.

I think Gas's rage is a lot of Pharah in a narrow passage rage.
It's funny, but I find this game extremely balanced for what it is. Want to know how I came to that conclusion? Every single hero in the game has been called "Overpowered" on the feedback forum at some point. Every. Single. One. Just yesterday after the open beta officially started, there were posts saying Pharah, Bastion, Torbjorn, Roadhog, Junkrat, Mei, McCree, Mercy, Tracer, and Reaper were overpowered and impossible to beat, all on the same page. I have seen posts since Closed Beta that have called everyone from Symmetra to Soldier76 too strong and impossible to defeat.

I find that a good sign, since not a single hero is complained about constantly (Well... other the Bastion, whose high skill floor and low skill ceiling but him in a weird place, extremely great versus noobs but dead weight versus pros)

GasBandit

Staff member
Genji is one of the faster Bastion killers. Gotta love that reflect.
That was a lot of it. Genji's reflect is ALWAYS UP. When I was playing Bastion, defending the capture point, the only thing I ever saw was genji and his reflect was always up.

I think Gas's rage is a lot of Pharah in a narrow passage rage.
More like multiple Pharahs safely IN ORBIT constantly raining down ultimates and/or using normal rockets that seem to autoseek and do double damage. Except of course when *I* play Pharah :p

That was a lot of it. Genji's reflect is ALWAYS UP. When I was playing Bastion, defending the capture point, the only thing I ever saw was genji and his reflect was always up.
Reflect has an 8 second cooldown. That goes by quickly but it more then enough time to kill him as long as you don't panic. When I play Bastion I bait the reflect by launching a little bit of spray, then stop and repair while it's "casting" (as the Genji can't attack during reflect). If the Genji stays around I gun him down before those 8 seconds are up, or he runs. Rinse and repeat. I am much more scared of a Tracer or Roadhog when I play Bastion, or a good Sniper.

More like multiple Pharahs safely IN ORBIT constantly raining down ultimates and/or using normal rockets that seem to autoseek and do double damage. Except of course when *I* play Pharah :p
I experience the same thing with Pharah, she is one of my weakest characters I play (after Widowmaker and McCree), but I see some teams do what feels like literal magic with them. I find Soldier76 is one of the better Pharah killers, as he has good accuracy and because they are likely out in the open while flying, his ULT will shred them. Roadhog can also rather easily hook them right out of the sky, and if you have a GOOD sniper, they are easy pickings unless they play a bigger ground game.

Just some light advice from someone with hundreds of hours into the game now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well stop shooting at him!
Genji's reflect was literally taking me from 300 to 0 in 1 second. Maybe if I was still a caffeine-boosted teenager, I could have reacted quicker. Also, it took me 3 or 4 times to realize it was ALWAYS UP. "Surely he can't do that again." YEP HE CAN. That shit should be an ultimate, not an E.

It was also exacerbated because the position was indoors and the entrance the other team was coming through was backlit, so it was really difficult to discern one fast moving black shape with a red outline from another, unless it was roadhog or something.

So I guess the only way to counter Genji's reflect is to not shoot at all at any target massing under 400 pounds and let the other team run up and kill me. Success!

Reflect has an 8 second cooldown. That goes by quickly but it more then enough time to kill him as long as you don't panic.
Un-turreting in the situation I was in was not an option - the enemy were probing multiple entrances to the room. So the odd time I didn't shoot myself to death on Genji, he only had to duck back around the corner to the room, wait 8 seconds and do it again - which was enough time for me to realize I was being needlessly gun-shy against non-reflective targets and start hosing again, then WHOOP there he is I'm dead.

Genji's reflect was literally taking me from 300 to 0 in 1 second. Maybe if I was still a caffeine-boosted teenager, I could have reacted quicker. Also, it took me 3 or 4 times to realize it was ALWAYS UP. "Surely he can't do that again." YEP HE CAN. That shit should be an ultimate, not an E.
Again it's not always up. You need to utilize the opening. I am 33 and I have enough reflex to handle laying off the button when I see him. Maybe you just need to get used to his silhouette, look mostly as his run (he has a slight forward lean with his hands up, like a ninja).

Un-turreting in the situation I was in was not an option - the enemy were probing multiple entrances to the room. So the odd time I didn't shoot myself to death on Genji, he only had to duck back around the corner to the room, wait 8 seconds and do it again - which was enough time for me to realize I was being needlessly gun-shy against non-reflective targets and start hosing again, then WHOOP there he is I'm dead.
Ya, it sucks when you slip up and fall for it, but that is part of the game, understanding your weaknesses and trying to overcome them, or switching to something that better handles the comp. If you play Bastion and find Genji is wrecking you, switch to Winston, and eat that Genji for breakfast. He can't reflect the lightening gun (which will auto-lock on him as long as he is in front of you), he does little damage to a tank, and even if he dashes away you can leap right after him (which also does damage if you land on him). I went versus a team last night that was triple Genji, and so me and another switched to Winstons and OBLITERATED half the team.

GasBandit

Staff member
Again it's not always up. You need to utilize the opening. I am 33 and I have enough reflex to handle laying off the button when I see him. Maybe you just need to get used to his silhouette, look mostly as his run (he has a slight forward lean with his hands up, like a ninja).
I didn't mean it was a literal always-on passive, I meant it might as well have been because any time he came out around the corner, it was up. Hence, always up. And I also need to figure out how to get rid of bloom, because as I said, this fight was taking place indoors in a dim environment and he and a couple of his buddies were harassing through a door that was backlit by an open window, and with the post-processing, all that was presented to me were blurry black shapes.

Ya, it sucks when you slip up and fall for it, but that is part of the game, understanding your weaknesses and trying to overcome them, or switching to something that better handles the comp. If you play Bastion and find Genji is wrecking you, switch to Winston, and eat that Genji for breakfast. He can't reflect the lightening gun (which will auto-lock on him as long as he is in front of you), he does little damage to a tank, and even if he dashes away you can leap right after him (which also does damage if you land on him). I went versus a team last night that was triple Genji, and so me and another switched to Winstons and OBLITERATED half the team.
I had some luck a couple times when I played winston, but most of the time had a hard time keeping people in range. How long is the range on his tesla cannon? It seems like it's maybe 5 yards.

I had some luck a couple times when I played winston, but most of the time had a hard time keeping people in range. How long is the range on his tesla cannon? It seems like it's maybe 5 yards.
Don't know the exact range, I think it's double the melee range. It's supposed to have limited range since Winston is very quick and mobile, plus since it's a cone effect you can technically damage everyone in front of you if they bunch together. He is really good at annoying the hell out of snipers, but you gotta learn how to flank with him. He requires some good map awareness.

Winston's gun is weird to get used to until you run into a Lucio, and then it's the best gun in the game. Killing Lucio is like trying to swat a fly, but Winston's gun is a fucking Bug Zapper.

Winston's gun is weird to get used to until you run into a Lucio, and then it's the best gun in the game. Killing Lucio is like trying to swat a fly, but Winston's gun is a fucking Bug Zapper.
His gun does such little damage, but any character at 200 health or below drops quickly as long as you stick to them. This is why he is so good versus Genji, Tracer, Lucio, WM, Hanzo or Zenyatta, as long as he gets good at closing the distance quickly. The bad side is that he only tickles other tanks or characters with higher health pools or armor, so if the enemy is running a heavy tank comp you never want to go Winston. Usually if I fight a heavy tank comp with say a WM, I use D.Va instead for harass.

Yeah I'm a fan of knocking tanks around with Junkrat. His grenades and landmine are great for harassing (Roadhog hook? Drop a mine and back up, watch him fly!), and the bear trap is good for shutting down quick characters backing them up.

Then Rip Tire comes up and you start the real show.

Yeah I'm a fan of knocking tanks around with Junkrat. His grenades and landmine are great for harassing (Roadhog hook? Drop a mine and back up, watch him fly!), and the bear trap is good for shutting down quick characters backing them up.

Then Rip Tire comes up and you start the real show.
Fun Fact: If you know you are about to die, throw a bear trap at the foot of your killer and stand on him. Enjoy the rage.

I was late getting into it, but I'll be playing much as I can tonight before the open beta ends tomorrow. My name there is Mornhir #1742.

EDIT: fixed my battle net tag.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I've pretty much made up my mind not to buy it. I mean, it's fun and all, but I can't see paying full price for what feels like an expansion pack for TF2.

And it doesn't even have a CTF mode or allow private servers, I mean, what the heck.

The number in the small square by my battle tag in the top right corner? That's 4.
No, there should be a 4 digit number. For example, my B.net name is AnnaDei#1673[DOUBLEPOST=1462835815,1462835767][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've pretty much made up my mind not to buy it. I mean, it's fun and all, but I can't see paying full price for what feels like an expansion pack for TF2.

And it doesn't even have a CTF mode or allow private servers, I mean, what the heck.
Terrik and I already discussed that it may look pretty, but $60 for TF2 with more classes isn't really worth our time with how much we'd actually play it.

Worth it to me. "Shrug" just the beta has given me more play time then Fallout 4 and most other games I actually purchased in the last 6 months.