[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

Preordered last week, looking forward to the early release next week. Gotta pick some characters to practice with once the game goes live, leaning to Reinhardt, Hazno, Zenyatta and Mei. I'll probably give everyone a try, but those four look most interesting to me.

How good are you at FPS games? If you are not the best you may want to start with heroes that have a low skill ceiling. Winston, Torbjorn, Bastion, Symmetra, and Soldier76 are good options.

Out of the ones you are interested I think Hanzo will be the hardest to pick-up. His arrows have a large hit box, but they are not hitscan, and so you have to lead your targets and account for drop off based on how long you hold back the arrow. Though once you get good with him, he can be deadly at almost any range.

I like to think I'm pretty decent, though it's been awhile since I've played a team shooter. I'll probably mess around in a couple bot games to get a feel for some characters before jumping into the fray.

How good are you at FPS games? If you are not the best you may want to start with heroes that have a low skill ceiling. Winston, Torbjorn, Bastion, Symmetra, and Soldier76 are good options.

Out of the ones you are interested I think Hanzo will be the hardest to pick-up. His arrows have a large hit box, but they are not hitscan, and so you have to lead your targets and account for drop off based on how long you hold back the arrow. Though once you get good with him, he can be deadly at almost any range.
Hanzo's easy, shoot down a corridor people will usually come through, the arrow's hitbox is so wide you'll never miss.

Hanzo's easy, shoot down a corridor people will usually come through, the arrow's hitbox is so wide you'll never miss.
In low end games, that works. In high end games? Not so much. Most teams worth their salt will have a tank walking the corridor with a healer while the rest of the team flanks and murders you. The only good Hanzo is one that plays an extremely mobile game. If you want to sit at the end of a corridor and just snipe Widowmaker is the only real option.

P.S. Hanzo's arrow hitbox is wide, but it's not as wide as people give it credit. The only advantage of the width is that it's easier to aim towards the chest and still register a headshot, but I play many a Hanzo that still will wiff half his shots because he does not account for leading and drop off. I pride myself on being able to dodge any Hanzo while I play Lucio. They are almost a non-issue for me at higher MMR.

Last edited:
In low end games, that works. In high end games? Not so much. Most teams worth their salt will have a tank walking the corridor with a healer while the rest of the team flanks and murders you. The only good Hanzo is one that plays an extremely mobile game. If you want to sit at the end of a corridor and just snipe Widowmaker is the only real option.

P.S. Hanzo's arrow hitbox is wide, but it's not as wide as people give it credit. The only advantage of the width is that it's easier to aim towards the chest and still register a headshot, but I play many a Hanzo that still will wiff half his shots because he does not account for leading and drop off. I pride myself on being able to dodge any Hanzo while I play Lucio. They are almost a non-issue for me at higher MMR.
I wasn't being serious, I should have used more hyperbole than saying it's impossible to miss.

Here, have this (which I think I actually posted earlier)

Mercy is my favorite, I just wish I could defend myself better when my teammates are wanking off and not helping me out. I get why she has weak offense, but damn.

Yeah I've been putting some real time into Reinhardt but oh my God people when I'm towering in front of you, shield bared and soaking damage, KILL THE THINGS SHOOTING AT ME.

Yeah I've been putting some real time into Reinhardt but oh my God people when I'm towering in front of you, shield bared and soaking damage, KILL THE THINGS SHOOTING AT ME.
I also find it really weird how often people will move out of my shield to fire at the enemy, even though they can shoot through it from safely behind it. Before it was mostly a visibility issue (the shield used to be more opaque), but ever since they adjusted the graphic to be much more clear, people still seem to go either side of my shield rather then behind it. It was actually kind of weird when during one Attack game a WM actually hugged my shield really well, since I am not used to it, lol.

As for Mercy her gun can pack a punch when you need it too, as it's similar to D.Va out of her mech, but switching to the gun means giving up the staff for awhile, which means it only are ever going to use it in circumstances you are more likely to get overwhelmed. (if even one other play is around you it's usually better to heal them).

BTW I am a bit sad, first look box I open gives me a legendary skin I really wanted, but I know after the 9th it will be gone. :(

I also find it really weird how often people will move out of my shield to fire at the enemy, even though they can shoot through it from safely behind it. Before it was mostly a visibility issue (the shield used to be more opaque), but ever since they adjusted the graphic to be much more clear, people still seem to go either side of my shield rather then behind it. It was actually kind of weird when during one Attack game a WM actually hugged my shield really well, since I am not used to it, lol.

As for Mercy her gun can pack a punch when you need it too, as it's similar to D.Va out of her mech, but switching to the gun means giving up the staff for awhile, which means it only are ever going to use it in circumstances you are more likely to get overwhelmed. (if even one other play is around you it's usually better to heal them).

BTW I am a bit sad, first look box I open gives me a legendary skin I really wanted, but I know after the 9th it will be gone. :(
Sure, if I'm fighting a pure DPS person I can sometimes win, but it's usually a bunch targeting me specifically and chasing me around, while my team just does whatever. PuGs man. ;)

I've been wanting to take Zenyatta out for a spin outside of AI games but he's paper-thin and I get the feeling it won't end well in quick play.

I've been wanting to take Zenyatta out for a spin outside of AI games but he's paper-thin and I get the feeling it won't end well in quick play.
You have to treat Zenyatta like a sniper with some off-healing and debuffing. Don't go out in the open during a fire fight, pop around a corner behind your team, throw the orb of discord as soon as you see the symbol over the enemy, and either charge up a shot or just start throwing balls as fast as you can from a distance, once you need to reload hide behind the wall again. Once done move out and cast orb again and unload. If you get good, start trying to get the orb on higher priority targets, like an orb on a tank will let the team shred him mercilessly. Keep the healing orb on an ally as much as possible, switch it up based on who might need it the most, keep it up on allies in the thick of combat.

As long as no one is on top of you, Zenyatta is a BEAST for his high damage and accuracy from even extreme range, but once a flanker or a sniper spot him he is toast unless he has someone to help defend him. A single sniper body shot will gib him. You have to be very reserved with him, only getting in the thick of things when his ultimate is up, before sliding away back to a more concealed position. I actually find him the Bastion-killer, since his fast attacks from even extreme range plus orb of discord allow him to often kill a Bastion from ranges far outside the Bastion's optimal killzone in only two or three "strikes", or one fully charged shot. Yes, Snipers can do the same, but snipers are less viable on offense and can't support as well as Zenyatta, making him the best overall Bastion-buster, which is why I switch to him when the enemy gets a little turtle happy.

Yeah Zen's overall healing is nowhere near as strong as other Support, but Discord Ball and a full clip work wonders on Damage/Defense characters.

Reinhardt's Charge does wonders on Bastion, too, I managed to drive him into a wall and hammer combo him to death a couple times without losing much, if any health depending on when he noticed me.

Reinhardt's Charge does wonders on Bastion, too, I managed to drive him into a wall and hammer combo him to death a couple times without losing much, if any health depending on when he noticed me.
It really depends on if you get the drop on him, and really ANY character can murder him if you get the drop on him. I do the same thing by charging into him from the sides or if he is distracted trying to hit another character. Flankers can just hit his weak spot on his back (he takes double or triple damage when hit there), or a soldier can just unload a clip and missile right into his face. Roadhog is one of the better ones since he can just hook bastion right out of sentry mode. Snipers, Pharah, Zenyatta, etc... can just shoot him far from his effective range, as his bullet spread is extremely high after a certain distance (making him tickle even when he fires at you).

Bastion has a LOT of counters which is why most consider him dead weight at high MMR since you need someone to babysit him to keep him alive, but he is brutal when the opposing team does not know what they are doing, and can still be brutal at high MMR when the team work around him properly. A good solo bastion will often change positions after each engagement, focusing on finding hidden spots to get the drop on the enemy while not exposing himself to long range fire.

Yeah now that I'm used to fighting him it's much easier to deal with. More of an annoyance than anything, coming around a corner and getting that Oh-Shit-Spurt of minigun fire.

I'm going to give Roadhog a go today, I think, I've heard great things.

I'm going to give Roadhog a go today, I think, I've heard great things.
The weird thing about Roadhog is he plays way better as a harasser. You peek out, hook someone into a headshot combo (which will instantly kill anyone other then a tank), fire off a bit of fire on other enemies until mid-range on health, then run away to use your heal by your team, repeat. Never expect to go out and go crazy unless you have your ult.

Sometimes I see a Roadhog plowing into a match with a Mercy healing him, which, honestly, is a determent to the team, since Roadhog's high health without shielding means he is an ultimate battery for the opposite side. A tracer tickling him for a few seconds will have her sticky bomb up so fast you will think it's criminal. Yes it can work sometimes, but you need to have great hook accuracy to prevent the other side from just suing you as ult fuel.

One thing most have to learn early on is that even though there are 4 "roles" a lot of heroes are not specific to those roles. Zenyatta is support, but he isn't like Mercy or Lucio where the majority of his need is healing. He is more an offense character with some support characteristics. Symmetra herself is more a hybrid of support and defense (her kit is very similar to Torbjorn, focusing on area denial turrets and health boosts, with her defining support characteristic being her teleporter ult) D.Va is a tank, but is played more like a high health flanker, using her boosters and matrix to get in behind the enemy and annoy them from there. Same with Winston, who works less as a pure tank and more like a distraction (his presence commands attention when he enters a zone, and his leap allows him to abuse health packs, and his auto-lock cone gun can make him dangerous when teams group together). The only real "tank" as far as the term goes is Reinhardt with his shield.

Yeah, Hanzo is definitely not a full Defense player, either, with good use of Sonic and Multi arrows you can push pretty hard. I haven't gotten a lot of time with him yet, though.

I have a spare key to the early access open beta, that starts today. Or you can wait a few days and play when the open beta officially starts.

Dude, I play what is essentially the medic, and barely shoot things. Also it's third person!

ALSO, you can't remember that we played 90 hours of Don't Starve while drunk, but you remember everything I said.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dude, I play what is essentially the medic, and barely shoot things. Also it's third person!

ALSO, you can't remember that we played 90 hours of Don't Starve while drunk, but you remember everything I said.
Recording and recalling are two separate processes.

Regardless, the OPEN open beta starts tomorrow, I smell game night. Maybe. Like I said, I barely played it during closed beta, but it might earn my time with an HF group.

More than happy to join up with HF folks for some fun, shoot MindTheMoose#1685 an invite or tell if I'm on. I might be in the Legion Alpha dicking around but I don't mind swapping over for some good times. Playing a lot of Junkrat/Reinhardt/Roadhog lately, but I'd love to get some practice on more DPS and Support characters too.

Dave

Staff member
I tried to play last night but nothing worked. I clicked on the tutorial and did that, but when it came to a match nothing happened. I couldn't choose a character, none of the menus worked...it sucked. So I had to ctrl-alt-del out as I couldn't click on anything...and in the background was a message from my firewall saying it was blocking some stuff and should I allow it through. Damn it.

I'll try again later.

I worked nights last night and was sick so instead of downloading the beta when I got home I went straight to sleep

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

GasBandit

Staff member
The default graphics settings on this game are shit. I can understand Ambient Occlusion being defaulted to on, because it's the "brown and bloom" of the day (as in it always comes on, turn that shit off)... but 83% resolution downsampling by default? Bleck. Talk about fuzzy jaggies. Funny how I turned it back up to 100% AND increased most of the other graphics settings and still maintained 60fps throughout.

Anyway, as for the game itself... Well... it's team fortress wrapped in form-fitting spandex and Plasti-future. Yeah, it's fun. But it's fun because it's team fortress :p

I tried to play last night but nothing worked. I clicked on the tutorial and did that, but when it came to a match nothing happened. I couldn't choose a character, none of the menus worked...it sucked. So I had to ctrl-alt-del out as I couldn't click on anything...and in the background was a message from my firewall saying it was blocking some stuff and should I allow it through. Damn it.

I'll try again later.
I was having the exact same problem. Turns out it wasn't playing nice with a program I used called overwulf to put an overlay on some of my games.