[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

That's why I said "Worth our time with how much we'd actually play it." ;)

I am terrible at FPS type games. Playing with random people who have much better reflexes than me isn't something that I will play long term. :)

GasBandit

Staff member
Worth it to me. "Shrug" just the beta has given me more play time then Fallout 4 and most other games I actually purchased in the last 6 months.
Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you have in TF2?[DOUBLEPOST=1462836360,1462836198][/DOUBLEPOST]
As someone who could never fully get into TF2, it doesn't feel like TF2 at all to me.
Hah, my buddy who has over 1000 hours in TF2, when I got him to try Overwatch this weekend, complained it was too slow and not dynamic enough.

Pretty much all he plays in TF2 is a scout with an Atomizer/Force-a-Nature loadout, though... so I get the feeling anything that isn't peeling his skin away from his face through sheer G-forces alone probably would get that opinion from him. The only class he could stand to play was Winston, not even Tracer was mobile enough for his standards.

As someone who could never fully get into TF2, it doesn't feel like TF2 at all to me.
I played TF2 back during the orange box days for maybe a week or two before I just got bored of it. Took me ages to even find a server I liked and by then the only heroes I liked were scout and sniper.

Overwatch feels way more manic. Something like if TF2 had sex with a moba and then that kid went through a quake and unreal tourney phase. It really tickles the old classic fps gamer in me more then any other recent shooter. I also love how much strategy and adaptation is required to succeed. You can't have one guy carry the whole match.

I played TF2 back during the orange box days for maybe a week or two before I just got bored of it. Took me ages to even find a server I liked and by then the only heroes I liked were scout and sniper.

Overwatch feels way more manic. Something like if TF2 had sex with a moba and then that kid went through a quake and unreal tourney phase. It really tickles the old classic fps gamer in me more then any other recent shooter. I also love how much strategy and adaptation is required to succeed. You can't have one guy carry the whole match.
Now that you mention it, it does evoke very old Quake sensations, with a little dash of moba-style skill usage.

GasBandit

Staff member
Speaking as somebody who didn't really put in more than 10 hours in TF2 until it went F2p, and then put in 360 hours, this is pretty much a more poly-dense later-edition TF2. With, as Dei says, new characters.
Overwatch feels way more manic. Something like if TF2 had sex with a moba and then that kid went through a quake and unreal tourney phase. It really tickles the old classic fps gamer in me more then any other recent shooter.
Well, everybody's entitled to their opinion. As for me, it doesn't feel any more or less "manic" than most FPSes I've played over the last 10 or 20 years or so, especially not the ones against other players.

I also love how much strategy and adaptation is required to succeed. You can't have one guy carry the whole match.
Well, ya saythat, but on saturday, I did, once or twice :p Granted, I was playing winston and the other team (and the rest of my team) was REALLY bad. I got gold medals in every category, play of the game, and it was almost freakin' sad to see.

I mean, you guys know it's 40 bucks for the base game, yeah? 60 is for some skins and goodies for other Blizz games.

If you don't see it being worth the money I get it, but just know it's not actually a full-price game to begin with if you don't need a WoW pet and some SC2 portraits.

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, you guys know it's 40 bucks for the base game, yeah? 60 is for some skins and goodies for other Blizz games.

If you don't see it being worth the money I get it, but just know it's not actually a full-price game to begin with if you don't need a WoW pet and some SC2 portraits.
It's rocking a $20 penalty because you have to have battlenet running, imo :p That's a strike against it in my book, but not a dealbreaker like Origin or Uplay is.

I fuckin hate "PC app stores" you have to have always on. I can barely stand steam, even, I just begrudgingly accept it as a necessary evil for modern gaming, with the skids greased slightly by the sales.

But if it goes under $10 or FTP, I might give it another look.

I've never had any kind of issue with Bnet myself, and it seems pretty unobtrusive save for telling you when friends log on, but opinions/etc.

Well I think I've played enough before the end of the beta, and I'm glad I put the money down for the game. I kind of took a chance as I generally never got into TF2 or other FPS games like it, but I had a lot of fun with the game (and frustration, too, but that's part and parcel with any PvP).

I was pretty happy to find out that the only crits are headshots and special weaknesses like Bastion's big blue Kick Me when he's in Turret Mode. Hanzo and Widow's abilities help deal with sneaky Reapers, too.

Games with expressive and unique characters tend to do that. TF2's heyday was littered with memes and SFM movies, though Overwatch's end up a more NSFW nature.

GasBandit

Staff member
My dark secret: I could never get "High Noon" to work right. It never killed nobody for some reason.[DOUBLEPOST=1463164287,1463164213][/DOUBLEPOST]
I thought nsfw is what SFM was for!
I've got some VERY nsfw SFM videos. Just google up "Kunoichi Broken Princess."

Wait, I forgot who I'm talking to. Of course you know about that.

Hrmm.. maybe this is a post for that other thread.

High Noon is a weird mechanic, I honestly can't remember if I ever got it right. It's fucking powerful if you do, though, I've seen pentakills.

Yeah, I think you have to keep people in the red reticles until the time's up on the Ult or something? I can't remember, I didn't play a lot of McCree outside of the weekly brawl (which wasn't a good place to practice Ults).

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, wish I'd seen this earlier... it explains how it works without even using words. You have a "lock on time" that is longer the more health your targets have, then you click to fire off all of them at once. I was clicking way too early.

I've got some VERY nsfw SFM videos. Just google up "Kunoichi Broken Princess."
StudioFOW are actually pretty cool guys. I do a lot of voice work for them, I actually did some voice work for that movie and the second one.

New Yeah, I think you have to keep people in the red reticles until the time's up on the Ult or something? I can't remember, I didn't play a lot of McCree outside of the weekly brawl (which wasn't a good place to practice Ults).
Here is the jist. When you activate it, any enemies in line of sight will have a little circle appear on them. The circle slowly shrinks, representing how much damage you will do to them when you hit the fire button (LMB), and how fast it shrinks depends on how much health the enemy has. If the circle shrinks all the way down to a point, then that means as long as they stay in line of sight, hitting fire will instantly kill them.

It's really a skill that takes patience. It has a time limit, but it's super long, instead being about how much time you are willing to stay in that vulnerable state to guarantee some kill shots.

P.S. Ah I see you guys found a video. Yup, that is how it works.