Opening Day!

Who will win it all this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
One day, four games to determine the two wild cards.
  • Yankees at Tampa (Rays would host a playoff game Thursday afternoon)
  • Boston at Baltimore
  • Philadelphia at Atlanta
  • Saint Louis at Houston (Cards would host a playoff game Thursday night)
All are simple: Win and the worst that happens is a playoff game. Lose and you have to have help to force a playoff.

And, in addition, four more games that might have some implications on the post-season:
  • Cleveland at Detroit - Tigers win, together with an Angels win, means Detroit will host the Wild-card winner.
  • Texas at Angels - Texas wins, they host the wild-card winner.
  • Pittsburgh at Milwaukee - Win by the Crew gives them the home advantage against either the Braves or the D'backs.
  • Dodgers at Arizona - Win by the D'backs with a Milwaukee loss gives them the home advantage against the Braves or the Brewers.

K

kaykordeath

How insane that with one game to go, only 2 of 8 teams (League leaders) are completely pinned down?

Well, that was just the craziest hour of baseball...ever. Rays win in 13, Braves lose in 13, Red Sox blow it and lose in the bottom of the 9th, and the playoffs are set.

Sorry DA, I know you were looking forward to a Pirates win, but if it's any consolation that win puts the Crew at breaking the club record for wins in a season.

Prediction time.
  • Yankees vs. Tigers (Yanks sweep.)
  • Rangers vs. Rays (This will be a good one to watch, but Rangers will take it in four.)
  • Phillies vs. Cardinals (Phillies won't sweep, but they'll take it in four, too.)
  • Brewers vs. Diamondbacks (It'll take five games, but I'll take the Crew in this one.)
Added at: 05:00
Who will win it all this year?

• Giants (mmph - not even close) 2 vote(s) 11.1%
  • Phillies (Could still happen.) 1 vote(s) 5.6%
  • Red Sox (Definition of "choke" in the dictionary has a photo of Jacoby Ellsbury.) 1 vote(s) 5.6%
  • Yankees (Come on, this is like rooting for Microsoft.) 3 vote(s) 16.7%
  • Twins (How's that AL Central cellar doing, Mr. Mauer?) 2 vote(s) 11.1%
  • Rangers (They have the Rays and Yanks to get through first) 1 vote(s) 5.6%
  • Braves (Definition of "collapse" in the dictionary has a photo of Chipper Jones.) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  • Reds (Glad no one voted for this one.) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  • A's (maybe in Hollywood) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  • Other (For us intelligent types who saw the Crew, Cards, Rays, Tigers and D'backs making the post-season) 8 vote(s) 44.4%

Speaking as a Yankees fan, I don't think the Yankees will sweep. Sabathia v Verlander is going to be a hell of a game, but I think Verlander's going to win that one to put a cap on his Cy Young and possible MVP season. However, I do think the Yankees will take the rest of the series from the Tigers.

I'm just looking forward to the AL postseason. It's great seeing the Tigers in good form. While a Yankee fan, I've always had a soft spot for the Rays and their shrewd management.

I think Joe Madden is a very strong contender for AL Manager of the Year. That pinch hitter in the bottom of the 9th last night turned out to be a brilliant call.

Ivan Nova pitched very well in an unconventional relief appearance, going 6 1/3 innings and giving up 2 earned runs, as the Yankees won 9-3. Tampa Bay and the Rangers are tied, Phillies and Brewers are both 1-0.

The Milwaukee Brewers now have more wins in the post-season in their 43 years of existence than the Chicago Cubs have in that same time span. :D

After watching the game on TBS I think I might have gotten a more accurate account of not just the game, but as what's going around in Baseball, if I had listened to John Sterling call the game.

After watching the game on TBS I think I might have gotten a more accurate account of not just the game, but as what's going around in Baseball, if I had listened to John Sterling call the game.
Yeah, what was up with the TBS guys? I mean, the one sportscaster didn't even know that Jeter had topped 3,000 this season, or at least was pretending he didn't.

Anyone else think Francona was happy to be let go? I mean, he's saying it was his decision, the front office is saying that they're just declining to take the option on his contract, but you definitely get a sense that the man is going "Thank fuck I'm out of Boston!" You know, maybe the Cubs should hire him, since he already broke one curse...

Anyone who is a REAL sports fan in Wisconsin is flipping between their local CBS affiliate and TBS right now.
Added at: 16:44
Speaking as a Yankees fan, I don't think the Yankees will sweep. Sabathia v Verlander is going to be a hell of a game, but I think Verlander's going to win that one to put a cap on his Cy Young and possible MVP season. However, I do think the Yankees will take the rest of the series from the Tigers.
Or, of course, the weather could take Verlander completely out of the series, resulting in said Yankees sweep.

Disregard.

The Yankees have their season resting on the shoulders of A.J. Burnett.
:popcorn:
Yeah. Maybe next year. :(

I mean, it's great getting into the postseason and all, but when you have A-Fraud and Texiera going a combined 1-for-21 in the series, that's a dirty great hole in your lineup. The most productive people in the lineup write now are the 40-year-old Jorge Posada, and of course Robinson Cano. It's great that Jeter's getting hits but he's not getting RBIs, and in a series where you lose games by one or two runs, that fucking hurts.

I can't knock Sabathia's performance - 2 days rest is difficult and he kept the game from being a disaster, even though it was a short outing. But Soriano giving Delmon Young - a top rate first-pitch fastball slugger - a meatball right away to put into the right field bleachers does make your heart sink.

Rangers eliminate the Rays, and the Yankees force a game 5, with AJ Burnett pitching uncharacteristically (read: fairly well), the bullpen being lights out, and the offense actually hitting.

B

BErt

Shit!

...I am less than excited for this game 5. Just can't ever count the Yankees out I guess.

In my perfect baseball world the Phillies, Yankees, and D-Backs all get eliminated in the first round. Especially the Phillies. At this point I'm just rooting for the Brewers, Cardinals, Tigers, or Rangers.

Yankees v DBacks rematch, 10 years later. Aww yeah. Let's make that happen.

Interesting - no sweeps in the Divisional series' this year. Every team involved won at least once. That says good things for the competitive balance overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.