Official Halforums Halloween Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to a party on Saturday with my new girlfriend. We're wearing a couple's theme. Not one of my more inspired costumes but damn she'll look good.

The girl I've been dating for 5 days.
Added at: 22:39
Officially, anyway. We had our first date on October 2nd after being matched on eHarmony on September 26th.

I'll be wearing a cartoonish striped prison jumpsuit and she'll be wearing a sexy cop dress with thigh-highs and aviators. And cuffs.

Still working on my costume, most everything else is finished but the hand is taking a bit longer than I thought it would. Here's a preview of what I have done so far. Still needs lots of work as this is little more than the basic shape.
Before tonight:

After:

Steam punk costume almost completed. Not completely accurate but it's good enough for the few parties I must attend. Just need to get a few safety pins. I wish I had found a place to get me gears and cogs though.

You can buy gears and cogs at just about any steam punk store online, but they tend to cost far too much. You'd honestly have a cheaper time going to a junkyard, cracking open some machines and then cleaning off the rust/oil at home.

Lovin' the pumpkins!!
Husband and I are carving our tomorrow! I think we're doing Vader, Batman, Zero and whatever his second pumpkin ends up being. =^^=

So, my brother and I did a lot of work on my son's halloween costume today, specifically the sword and shield...

First, a reference image:

So, I started with a construction paper cutout as a sort of stencil so I could get the shape right without destroying anything expensive:
Shield Start.png

I traced the shield shape out of cardboard, one with the grain and one against the grain for strength. I then glued them together with spray adhesive:
Shield Adhesive.png

Next, I measured where my son's arm would go on the shield, and cut out slits for two straps (from the nearest hardware store):
Shield Strap.png

Shield Strap Back.png

After both straps were in right, I made a third cutout of the shield using foam board to get the front shiny, and glued that to the front of the shield with spray adhesive:
Shield Adhesive Third Layer.png

I still need to color the front brown, and decorate the front with craft felt (was the closest thing I could find). So here's where the shield is at now:
Shield Final 10-22.png

As for the sword, here's a reference image:

I made several cutouts for the sword pieces:
Cutouts.png

To start, I traced two blade parts out of craft foam, and then taped the edges together using foil tape:
Sword Start.png

After the edges were taped tightly, I inserted a rounded wooden dowel (again, hardware store) 1/2" in diameter to give the sword structure and add a little notch in the middle to make the blade look a little more realistic:
Sword Dowel.png

I then carefully covered the rest of the blade in foil tape and smoothed it out with the other half of the dowel:
Sword Foil.png

Next, I cut out a handguard out of craft foam, and notched both the blade and the handguard so they'd fit together without spinning in the dowel. I then covered the handguard in duct tape and taped it to the blade. So here's where that is now:
Sword Final 10-22.png

For this, I still need to finish the handle with orange tape I bought and the round nub at the end I cut out of craft foam.

Coming along pretty well, though.

Been very busy... haven't posted much the last few days. Project C is done but I can't be bothered putting it up before Saturday. :)

House is transformed, working on the finer details. 95% of the invitations have RSVPed... it's going to be a busy and AWESOME night.

Except an epic thread once I download pictures.

fade

Staff member
While those are technically impressive, I like fresh takes on scary faces more. Or at least something horror themed.

You'd be surprised... most of the stuff the pros use are re-purposed wood working tools and stuff designed on the fly, but those tools you can get at the dollar store aren't that much different. I think I need to pony up for a good set though... right now I'm using a single saw with a single blade, a box cutter, and an ice cream scoop. Anything else I have to make on my own.

But honestly, you could do those with the cheap kits plus a box cutter. Just score it, then use the box cutter to cut a shallow length into the pumpkin. Pry up the skin. I tried it out a bit on the back of my pumpkin this year and it's actually not that hard. You just need to make sure you take out enough flesh that the light can still shine through.

I love all the eevee ones... And since my kids are dressed as Ash and Dawn this year, it may be a good pumpkin carving experiment for this year... Hmm.

My friend got sick and we wound up not going to the Steam Whistle party, even though we already bought our tickets.
Now I have no Halloween plans, which sucks cause I LOVE HALLOWEEN DAMMIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.