Movie News & Miscellany

I'm a huge fan of Cats - the musical, the story, the songs, even the book they're based on. I have serious doubts about how a movie would proprely work. No matter what stylistic choice they make - just the bigger-better version of the stage make-up, or full-CGI cat characters, or what - there'll always be problems with some demographics being disappointed. Taylor Swift in a skin tight cat suit, sure,...but how will that translate on screen?

I'm a huge fan of Cats - the musical, the story, the songs, even the book they're based on. I have serious doubts about how a movie would proprely work. No matter what stylistic choice they make - just the bigger-better version of the stage make-up, or full-CGI cat characters, or what - there'll always be problems with some demographics being disappointed. Taylor Swift in a skin tight cat suit, sure,...but how will that translate on screen?
It's been done already anyway...

GasBandit

Staff member
I, too, saw it live, but in Washington DC. When I was, like, 6. So it was pretty overwhelming. My most vivid memories are, well, "Memories," and the parts where the cast go into the audience and one of the cats messed with me and it kinda startled me a lot.

It's funny, but Cats is one of those musicals that I probably know every song, could name a slew of Broadway actors that have been in it over the years, I know the source material, and yet, I've never seen the show once. Even stranger, because I've gone to a LOT of Broadway shows in my life. Hell, there was a period in my college life where my best friend and I were constantly seeing shows (when you could get great, last-minute seats for $20), hanging out at stage doors, or with the actors. It was kinda like Nick or Nora's Infinite Playlist, but with more showtunes.

Have the 2-CD London cast recording. Also got to see it in 1989 at the Winter Garden before it closed, missed my chance at seeing Phantom with Michael Crawford to do so, feel like I made the better choice. Even still have my playbill which was autographed by Old Deuteronomy during intermission. Still think Gus should’ve been chosen, the actor that day really sold that character.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I have no what that means. I assume it's a reference to Cats, but I don't care enough to Google.
Yes, it's a line from another song from Cats that I like a lot.

Macavity is the "villain" of the story (AKA "The Hidden Paw," The Bafflement of Scotland Yard, the Flying Squad's Dispair). He's a master criminal who attempts to derail the Jellicle Ball by kidnapping Old Deuteronomy, so that the ritual of ascension to the Heaviside Layer cannot be performed.

Yes, it's a line from another song from Cats that I like a lot.

Macavity is the "villain" of the story (AKA "The Hidden Paw," The Bafflement of Scotland Yard, the Flying Squad's Dispair). He's a master criminal who attempts to derail the Jellicle Ball by kidnapping Old Deuteronomy, so that the ritual of ascension to the Heaviside Layer cannot be performed.
You forgot "The Napolean of Crime", in what is a clear shout-out to James Moriarty from Sherlock Holmes. They even sing that one!

It's been done already anyway...
Danggit. you got my hopes up. I expected Taylor Swift in a skin tight cat suit.

Watching fit women (and men) prance around in skintight cat suits was one of my favorite parts of Cats.

The music's good too, I guess.

oliverstan.jpg

John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan.
That's downright...eerie.
...and no Will Ferrell in sight, either.
No idea as to the plot, but this picture just looks spot-on. Hmm, I wonder...

oliverstanbw.jpg

...daaaang.

--Patrick

When i 1st read this yesterday i didn't catch the fact that it's a new show, and i was wondering what they're doing next season on Dis to justify Picard...
Well, given their history, it’s certainly not outside of the realm of possibility...

—Patrick

Any thoughts on the changes to the Oscars? I don't really care about the earlier date. Shorter show is probably good, depending on what they cut. New "Popular movie" category - yeah we already know that the Academy thinks anything the general public wants to see isn't "True Art" & doesn't deserve to win Best Picture. Technical awards given during the ad breaks with the winners shown in an edited highlight later during the show. Uh, what?

The technical awards aren't why the Oscars runs long & they may not generate any headlines but that doesn't mean the people who earn them don't deserve the same level of respect as the big name movie stars. For a lot of the winners this is the highlight of their career & suddenly they're being told their achievements aren't important? Fuck. You.

I wonder if the date change is because there no longer seems to be an "Oscar bump" at the box office. The past few years, it has seemed like many of the films in Oscar contention are already too far along in their release cycle to get a benefit at the box office from being nominated.

I think the "Popular Movie" category is exactly the same deflection the Academy did when it created the Best Animation Oscar. That makes it much more unlikely one of "those movies" will win the big prize.

As for the technical awards, it seems very high school. The popular kids take up too much time on stage and then decide the nerds are the problem the show runs long.