Movie News & Miscellany

On one hand, I really wish they'd (DC/Marvel/Sony, etc) develop more of their women heroes, or villains, properties, but I couldn't understand why'd they'd pick Black Cat and Silver Sable. Looking at the Venom trailers, I think they dodged a bullet.

On one hand, I really wish they'd (DC/Marvel/Sony, etc) develop more of their women heroes, or villains, properties, but I couldn't understand why'd they'd pick Black Cat and Silver Sable. Looking at the Venom trailers, I think they dodged a bullet.
Well... Captain Marvel is going to be the big movie next year and there's actually a pretty big push from the Agent Carter folks to get a season 3 now that Hayley Atwell isn't on that other show anymore. Apparently the driving force to cancel Agent Carter in the first place is they wanted to put her on a less niche show but the show they put her on didn't last 13 episodes and Atwell said she's still game.

We also have Wasp showing up as a major character in a duo in Ant-Man and Wasp, coming out soonish. They are also already tossing around ideas for Ms. Marvel, which would be pretty fun. I think Marvel's got a plan as far as female characters go.

I'm totally itching for a Batgirl movie.

Or would be if I didn't expect it to be some grimdark crap.

Well... Captain Marvel is going to be the big movie next year and there's actually a pretty big push from the Agent Carter folks to get a season 3 now that Hayley Atwell isn't on that other show anymore. Apparently the driving force to cancel Agent Carter in the first place is they wanted to put her on a less niche show but the show they put her on didn't last 13 episodes and Atwell said she's still game.

We also have Wasp showing up as a major character in a duo in Ant-Man and Wasp, coming out soonish. They are also already tossing around ideas for Ms. Marvel, which would be pretty fun. I think Marvel's got a plan as far as female characters go.
I'm sure Captain Marvel will be good, but I dislike Carol in the comics that it feels like the only reason we need to get her story done and into film is so Kamala can ascend to her rightful place of stardom.

I'm totally itching for a Batgirl movie.
Or would be if I didn't expect it to be some grimdark crap.
I’d prefer a Spider-Woman movie, myself. There’s plenty there to mine, even if you only count the stuff before Byrne. But the studio would probably twist it so the movie was actually more about Gypsy Moth.

—Patrick

Well, that's... 1 and 1/2, plus a hypothetical. And supposedly Black Widow film. And, yes, Wonder Woman's sequel. But in the grand scheme of things across ALL the studios, it's still just a drop in the bucket compared to the guy-lead films. As much as I don't want another Catwoman fiasco, it's slightly sad when the few women-lead possibilities are the first dropped, when clearly there was no shortage of bad-to-mediocre ideas in the group. I'm not saying they won't make more opportunities (I really, really, really want a Ms. Marvel movie, and I'd love some Shulkie, too) but its just sad to know the wait is even longer and more indefinate.

I can't wait for CGI to advance to the point where we can have a She-Hulk TV series and have it be a legal comedy. Like Night Court in the Marvel universe.
Sadly Universal has the rights to She-Hulk. Between that and what's going on in the comics, she can't seem to get any justice these days.

There's an animated Addams Family film in the works.

The voice cast for it will include Oscar Isaac as Gomez, Charlize Theron as Morticia, Chloe Grace Moretz as Wednesday, Finn Wolfhard as Pugsley, Nick Kroll as Fester, and Bette Midler as Grandmama.

There's an animated Addams Family film in the works.

The voice cast for it will include Oscar Isaac as Gomez, Charlize Theron as Morticia, Chloe Grace Moretz as Wednesday, Finn Wolfhard as Pugsley, Nick Kroll as Fester, and Bette Midler as Grandmama.
But who is going to voice Thing?

It's time to complain about our local theater!

They've decided they're only going to play the most recent big movies, such as Solo, Deadpool 2, and Avengers Infinity War, plus the Next Big Thing, in this case The Incredibles 2. Yes, that movie from six weeks ago still needs three screens from an 18-screen theater. This struggling AMC theater can only afford to play the biggest moneymakers.

I can understand if they just weren't playing Hereditary, but now it seems they're casting off anything that's not a giant. I hope this doesn't become a trend. I can also understand if we were in some small town with a four-screen cinema, but this is AMC. They're a chain, with a huge theater here. This is stupid.

It's time to complain about our local theater!

They've decided they're only going to play the most recent big movies, such as Solo, Deadpool 2, and Avengers Infinity War, plus the Next Big Thing, in this case The Incredibles 2. Yes, that movie from six weeks ago still needs three screens from an 18-screen theater. This struggling AMC theater can only afford to play the biggest moneymakers.

I can understand if they just weren't playing Hereditary, but now it seems they're casting off anything that's not a giant. I hope this doesn't become a trend. I can also understand if we were in some small town with a four-screen cinema, but this is AMC. They're a chain, with a huge theater here. This is stupid.
See, it's very simple:

You move to Halifax. :D

See, it's very simple:

Oh, of course :p.

There's another theater near work, but it's not as nice. Though at this rate, the AMC isn't all that special. They show ads for themselves before the movie, but it's footage of nicer AMC theaters, like the one by my parents up in New York. Nice one, guys.

See, it's very simple:

Or Toronto, 1998. (Admittedly a lot less simple)

Ah, the movie choices I had back then, with several quasi independent theaters with full size screens. I loved the Uptown, once a stage theatre with stadium seating - the sort of incline you get in the nosebleed sections of a stadium - and a screen the size of some that try to get passed off as "IMAX" these days.

So I'd like to see Incredibles 2. Hm. Let's see what tonight's showings look like.

Incredibles 2.png

ZERO showings without 3D, IMAX, or some other bell or whistle. Not even a single vanilla offering, even during the day. Fucking hell, Hollywood. I don't even know who to blame. Disney? Cineplex? This is ridiculous.

Well, how about Solo? I haven't seen that yet.

Solo.png

Oh. The only showing was at 3:45 today.

FUCK. OFF. Why can't they offer even ONE vanilla showing in the evenings?

GasBandit

Staff member
So I'd like to see Incredibles 2. Hm. Let's see what tonight's showings look like.

View attachment 27087

ZERO showings without 3D, IMAX, or some other bell or whistle. Not even a single vanilla offering, even during the day. Fucking hell, Hollywood. I don't even know who to blame. Disney? Cineplex? This is ridiculous.

View attachment 27088

I understand (and agree with) your distaste for 3D, but what's wrong with IMAX? Other than the fact that it isn't actually IMAX, just a larger screen.

View attachment 27087

View attachment 27088

I strongly suspect it is your theater, since I don't have that problem anywhere here or in Seattle when I visit there.

I understand (and agree with) your distaste for 3D, but what's wrong with IMAX? Other than the fact that it isn't actually IMAX, just a larger screen.
Three primary reasons:
1) It's an unnecessary gimmick that doesn't really add anything particularly groundbreaking to the experience.
2) Any panning shots hurt my eyes because there's an image blur (which I don't find as noticeable in regular theater showings)
3) It's so loud sometimes that I sometimes have a ringing in my ears the next day.

I strongly suspect it is your theater, since I don't have that problem anywhere here or in Seattle when I visit there.
Is it an AMC theater? I hear AMC is at least better with things like this. Which isn't an option around here. Cineplex pretty much dominates the Canadian theater market.

Cinemark, bit still might explain the difference.
Weird. Our two closest theaters are Cinemark and AMC, and both offer lots of regular screenings daily, in addition to 3D and IMAX. Maybe it's just the size of the theaters that allow them to do this? I think both have 15 screens.

Weird. Our two closest theaters are Cinemark and AMC, and both offer lots of regular screenings daily, in addition to 3D and IMAX. Maybe it's just the size of the theaters that allow them to do this? I think both have 15 screens.
Yeah, mine are like yours. Nick's got the different chain.

Is it an AMC theater? I hear AMC is at least better with things like this. Which isn't an option around here. Cineplex pretty much dominates the Canadian theater market.
Landmark is making a huge splash here in Edmonton and St. Albert. It's caused the Cineplex theaters nearby to start upgrade renos to compete. Awesomely comfortable high end recliner seats rule.

IT Chapter 2 announced Teach Grant will play adult Henry Bowers.

Um ...

HOW?! He was kinda unambiguously killed. Unless this is a form Pennywise takes, which would more likely be the kid version then, this doesn't make sense.

My hopes for this movie are shrinking. I was excited for opportunities at new ideas, but now I'm worried they plan to follow the adult side of the book no matter what changes they made to the adaptation of the child side.