Movie News & Miscellany

Not technically a movie, buuut...
I think it's time to read the Foundation series.

I read the first book when I was a teenager but never got around to the rest of the books. Mostly because I was told by someone that the rest of the series wasn't as good.
You'd better hurry if you want to read it before the TV series comes out.
I don't know if I'm more surprised at who ordered the series or at all the people they got to helm it.

--Patrick

So, Fox just had a bunch of shifted movie release dates. Alita: Battle Angel has been pushed back to Feb. 14, 2019, while Dark Phoenix has been pushed to June 7, 2019. So, what's coming out on Alita's old release date of Dec. 21, 2018?

A PG-13 cut of Deadpool 2, which will be framed as Deadpool reading the film's events as a bedtime story for Fred Savage.

So, Fox just had a bunch of shifted movie release dates. Alita: Battle Angel has been pushed back to Feb. 14, 2019, while Dark Phoenix has been pushed to June 7, 2019. So, what's coming out on Alita's old release date of Dec. 21, 2018?

A PG-13 cut of Deadpool 2, which will be framed as Deadpool reading the film's events as a bedtime story for Fred Savage.
If I hadn't just heard this news, I would have suggested that you picked up a copy of Mad Libs instead of reading Variety.

Halloween 2018

This is the real deal. They do so much right in this movie, I don't know where to begin.
Definitely. Honestly, my favorite thing is how the film's reaction to anyone attempting to understand Michael Myers or seek some meaning behind his actions is basically, "No, there's nothing to understand. He is just evil."

Definitely. Honestly, my favorite thing is how the film's reaction to anyone attempting to understand Michael Myers or seek some meaning behind his actions is basically, "No, there's nothing to understand. He is just evil."
And yet we learn so much about how he hunts in the process. There is methodology to whom he targets and how he approaches each kill. It's very clear that Michael Myers has priorities in how he approaches a target or who even qualifies as one. It's like the Doctor says in the beginning; he can talk but chooses not to. He's not mindless. There's REASON to how he hunts, even if there is no discernible purpose to it all.

However, my favorite thing...
Is Laurie Strode turning her house into a fucking kill box. She was NOT going to fuck this up. She's practiced this, every day, and knew what she'd need to do. In doing so, she became something almost as bad Michael himself... it's breathtaking when they start using shots from the first movie but with Laurie in Michael's place, just to show just how far gone she really is.

This is already what? The seventh sequel?

Of course there's gonna be more.
The franchise was basically dead; it hadn't had an outing in 9 years, the last two weren't exactly well received by the fans, and before that it had been since... 2002?

Compare it this one; second biggest opening weekend in October ever, biggest opening day in October ever, and a Friday the 13th revival is happening now.

Jamie Lee Curtis was on Graham Norton saying that basically this is the only true sequel now, all the others were "alternative storylines" no longer canon. I mean ultimately that's up to John Carpenter I guess but...

Jamie Lee Curtis was on Graham Norton saying that basically this is the only true sequel now, all the others were "alternative storylines" no longer canon. I mean ultimately that's up to John Carpenter I guess but...
Considering everything post-Season of the Witch didn't involve Carpenter at all, and were... mostly awful (except H20), it's not surprising that they made this call since the grounded nature of this outing is sort of what made it work.

What about Halloween 2 ?
The current story is that the cops caught Michael pretty quickly after the first movie, while Laurie was on her way to the hospital. So Halloween 2 didn't happened.

We were having a discussion this morning about movies we want our son to watch.
I want to show him The Last Dragon, of course, because it’s silly and because it shows the bad guy biting someone (he bit another kid at school, it’s a long story, I want him to get the idea it’s the sort of thing only bad guys do) BUT I’m not happy with all the language in it so it’s on hold for now.
“Oh,” Kati says. “I want him to see Buckaroo Banzai.”
I ask about the language, she’s not sure, but she says it’s rated PG, but she remembers people dying, etc.
I ask her to check when it came out and compare it to Red Dawn, because I know Red Dawn was the first movie to be rated PG-13.

IMDb says release date for:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - August 10, 1984
Red Dawn - August 10, 1984

Well, then.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I saw Buckaroo Banzai when I was in grade school, and a lot of it just went right over my head. I didn't remember any swearing, but when I rewatched it a year or two ago, the attempted suicide in it might have given me pause, if I was a parent.

But like I said, I was somewhere between 6 and 8 when I saw it and I ̨̙̳t̰̱͠u̶r͖n͔̠͟e̝̻͓̲d̰ ̠̬͚̖̣o͇͉̮̜u̼̖t̴̻̤̞̠ ̙̗̻̟̰̼̱̕j̴̙u̗̮͎̘̞̲ș̶̙͕͈t͎̖̮̯͓͖͕͘ ̶f̺̪̹̳̀i̲̬̖͎̞n͔̮̝̖͝e̝.̹̦͖͠.̢̣͉̳.͔̮̙̻̮