Minor victory thread

Had a secret Santa today, on the new years day party. no budget was given, so I got my target some comics on their wishlist for about €30. My Santa bought me the OOTS books. Yeah, all of them. Taxes and transport included, that's...Like...€200?
I mean, major victory for what the bleep an awesome gift...but minor because now I feel kind of awkward for what I spent.

The clothes I bought for christmas, with a mind towards having to shovel in what is locally considered to be severe cold, and new snow shovel, were put to the test today. 2 inches of powdery snow, NNW wind 20-30 with gusts up to forty.

The clothes kept me nice and warm and the shovel cut through the snow with ease. I finished our sidewalk, digging out the cars, and doing the sidewalk of the abandoned house next door, in just about a half hour. Usually just doing the sidewalk takes 40 minutes.

Yay I bought the right stuff!

The clothes I bought for christmas, with a mind towards having to shovel in what is locally considered to be severe cold, and new snow shovel, were put to the test today. 2 inches of powdery snow, NNW wind 20-30 with gusts up to forty.

The clothes kept me nice and warm and the shovel cut through the snow with ease. I finished our sidewalk, digging out the cars, and doing the sidewalk of the abandoned house next door, in just about a half hour. Usually just doing the sidewalk takes 40 minutes.

Yay I bought the right stuff!
How on Earth did you only get 2"? With the wind, we had snow drifts on our deck that were 24"! (We stuck the yard stick in it to verify.)

We were only supposed to get 2-4". :(

How on Earth did you only get 2"? With the wind, we had snow drifts on our deck that were 24"! (We stuck the yard stick in it to verify.)

We were only supposed to get 2-4". :(
I'm 70 miles inland, right by where the Lehigh River and Delaware River meet. The meeting valleys cause weird shifts in the local weather and frequently we miss the heaviest snows. Several years ago the city directly across the Delaware from where I live got almost 2 feet, and we got less than 8 inches. The storm hit the river and basically bounced north.

Since this was a coastal storm and we're in the hills, I figure the worst of it was further south on the other side of the terrain.

That's awesome!

Student loans are nasty business. I will resist my urge to rant :)
I went to school knowing what degree I wanted, what I wanted to do with it, and got a job using it, so they never really bothered me all that much. But this past year has made me rethink working for a large tech firm, so part of being able to be my own boss is going to require a substantial pay cut (for a bit at least hopefully), and those student loans are a pretty good chunk of that so they gots to go.

Speaking of, I went back over my student loans. I really should be more thankful for the good deal I got on my loans. My interest rates were low and my parents helped me out enough that my payments have been manageable the whole time. I feel like I’ve been one of the lucky ones.

fade

Staff member
I went to college in the 90s when the economy was up. My rate was 8%, and that was supposedly good at the time.

I was extremely fortunate to be able to get out of University with very low loans, land a government job right away and arrive at just the right time to receive part of a massive retroactive pay increase that enabled me to repay the whole thing around a year after finishing school.

Did I say extremely fortunate? That sounds like a hell of an understatement...

I graduated college with no loans outstanding. Then I married into loans that had grown larger than their original disbursement amount. Yaaaaaay.

—Patrick

Left undergrad and grad school with 10k in loans. It's down to 6k. Slowly knocking it down. The rate is super low for one 3.5% and 6.5% for the other. My wife has none. They'll get sorted. I am tired of having them around, but they're at least manageable. I am lucky to have so little debt after hearing from several colleagues who have nearly 10x what I have.

2 hours and 50 minutes of character creation, 10 minutes for a TPK. Sounds plausible.
Ah, I see you played a game or two with my old GM. Though to be fair, it was usually his own (N-ish)PCs that died tragically within 10 minutes of the campaign starting.

2 hours and 50 minutes of character creation, 10 minutes for a TPK. Sounds plausible.
10 minutes? How about 30 seconds?

First encounter, all lvl 1 characters
Sorcerer: I cast Mage Armor on myself!
DM: OK, do that, and then roll a separate d20 and a d100
Sorcerer: I rolled a 1 on the d20, and a 7 on the d100
DM: OK, the d20 means you had a Wild Magic Surge. The 7 on the d100 means that according to the Wild Magic Surge table you... cast fireball centered on yourself. (rolls 8d6 damage dice). Everybody roll a dex saving throw. If you don't get higher than a 14, you take 30 fire damage, or 15 if you make the save.

Rogue: I save!... but I only have 12 hp total.
Everybody else: I don't make the save.

DM: You're all dead from the Fireball.
Everybody else: glares at the sorcerer.

(It's impossible for any 1st level character of any class to have 30HP, and 15 would be a barbarian with near-max CON score, or fighter with 20 CON via an 18 roll plus 2 for race, and they'd be making death saving throws at exactly 0 health)

Btw, this is why many DMs just make that result on the wild magic surge table "not happen" (re-roll) if they hit it below level 5 or so, because it's an auto-TPK.

10 minutes? How about 30 seconds?

First encounter, all lvl 1 characters
Sorcerer: I cast Mage Armor on myself!
DM: OK, do that, and then roll a separate d20 and a d100
Sorcerer: I rolled a 1 on the d20, and a 7 on the d100
DM: OK, the d20 means you had a Wild Magic Surge. The 7 on the d100 means that according to the Wild Magic Surge table you... cast fireball centered on yourself. (rolls 8d6 damage dice). Everybody roll a dex saving throw. If you don't get higher than a 14, you take 30 fire damage, or 15 if you make the save.

Rogue: I save!... but I only have 12 hp total.
Everybody else: I don't make the save.

DM: You're all dead from the Fireball.
Everybody else: glares at the sorcerer.

(It's impossible for any 1st level character of any class to have 30HP, and 15 would be a barbarian with near-max CON score, or fighter with 20 CON via an 18 roll plus 2 for race, and they'd be making death saving throws at exactly 0 health)

Btw, this is why many DMs just make that result on the wild magic surge table "not happen" (re-roll) if they hit it below level 5 or so, because it's an auto-TPK.
But that's not that works, that's not how any of that works.

Quickest TPK I've been in was due to some very unlucky rolls while fighting the giant frogs near the entrance to the ruined fort in Village of Hommlet. Bad encounter for a small 1st level party without hirelings (other than maybe a torchbearer).

Wild Magic NEVER triggers on Cantrips and is ALWAYS at the discretion of the DM.
But Mage Armor isn't a cantrip, it's a first level spell. And sure, ti's at DM's discretion, but disregarding the outcome after a public roll isn't great DM'ing either. The DM probably figured it'd be some cool effect which would show "oh wow how wild can it get" which would open a door to letting WMS slide a bunch of times later on when it might matter.

But Mage Armor isn't a cantrip, it's a first level spell. And sure, ti's at DM's discretion, but disregarding the outcome after a public roll isn't great DM'ing either. The DM probably figured it'd be some cool effect which would show "oh wow how wild can it get" which would open a door to letting WMS slide a bunch of times later on when it might matter.
Wait Mage Armour? What happened to Fire Bolt at the goblin? Did it get edited while I was napping or is this one of those days.