Minor victory thread

I reserved a large Snuffles bear from a lady who sells them online about a year ago. Pud has totally taken over the one I bought last year so I wanted a new one. But with being sick and having a terrible memory, I had forgotten about it until now. I contacted her and she still had it set aside for me even though they've gone out of production!!!

The rejection letter pushed me to go check on another application I have out.

The spot that was advertised has been filled already, but another one may be opening soon, and my application is still valid.

At the suggestion of the local job service office, I'm going to contact the owner of the hotel about a letter of recommendation. Coming from a former Congressman, that may add something. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welp, first date went well. We decided to have brunch today since we both had some free time. We made plans for a second date, which was ORIGINALLY going to be the first date. But today went well. So we'll see.

She doesn't like superhero movies, though. That doesn't bode well.

Welp, first date went well. We decided to have brunch today since we both had some free time. We made plans for a second date, which was ORIGINALLY going to be the first date. But today went well. So we'll see.

She doesn't like superhero movies, though. That doesn't bode well.
Hey. A friend of mine didn't like superhero movies either before dating a big fan. Now he won't shut up about them.

Someone lent me some money so I could get the antibiotics for my diverticulitis. Yaaaay. They'd been holding them at the pharmacy for me for almost a week.

Someone lent me some money so I could get the antibiotics for my diverticulitis. Yaaaay. They'd been holding them at the pharmacy for me for almost a week.
That should be in the rant section that that's something you have to borrow money for.[DOUBLEPOST=1501364178,1501364102][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm going down to Calgary tonight for another meet up with that friend who I've posted about before. Gonna be a late night and then spend the day together tomorrow.

That should be in the rant section that that's something you have to borrow money for.[DOUBLEPOST=1501364178,1501364102][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm going down to Calgary tonight for another meet up with that friend who I've posted about before. Gonna be a late night and then spend the day together tomorrow.
That should be in the Epic Win section unless that's something you have to borrow money for. :awesome:

Wait, that kinda suggests I'm suggesting you're paying her. No. I mean paying for the date.

'This probably deserves to go in the Minor Fail section.

I wasn't trying to imply that he should be ashamed for borrowing money, just that it's such a shitty situation to need to borrow money to pay for important medication, also, just to clear this for literally no one I can see mistaking my intentions.

I AM HAPPY NULL GOT HIS MEDICATION!

My doctor apparently disagrees. They believe that using antibiotics to treat the bacterial infection is necessary.
There's a growing number of people who believe the solution to having too many of the the wrong bacteria in your gut is to add more of the right kind to crowd 'em out. It's still a relatively new idea and it's probably not always the right solution (I think there's still plenty of argument as to what constitutes the "right" bacteria, for instance), so I was curious if that was going to be a next step.

--Patrick

There's a growing number of people who believe the solution to having too many of the the wrong bacteria in your gut is to add more of the right kind to crowd 'em out. It's still a relatively new idea and it's probably not always the right solution (I think there's still plenty of argument as to what constitutes the "right" bacteria, for instance), so I was curious if that was going to be a next step.

--Patrick
Are you referring to the whole "leaky gut" thing?[DOUBLEPOST=1501376119,1501375875][/DOUBLEPOST]
My doctor apparently disagrees. They believe that using antibiotics to treat the bacterial infection is necessary.
I agree. You don't want to mess around.

I'm glad you got your meds. It's a shame that your doctor didn't have any samples or something that he could have given you to try if you weren't able to fil it right away.

Are you referring to the whole "leaky gut" thing?
At first I thought you were talking about a fistula, because I had never heard of "leaky gut syndrome" until your comment encouraged me to look it up. I didn't know about "leaky gut," rather I was referring more to what can happen if your intestinal colony gets messed up/overrun by antibiotics, infection, etc.

...and no, I'm not being one of those "Eat a ton of fiber and yogurt and ignore the antibiotics and everything will sort itself out" types, I'm just continuing to try and gather info.

--Patrick

Nah, this is an infection of one of the sacs in the wall of the large intestine. It requires antibiotics. Two, as it turns out. Cipro and Metronidazole.

For background, when my mom was 43, she had diverticulitis, didn't get it treated promptly, and it caused a polyp in her colon to rupture, spilling material into her body cavity and causing a massive infection (peritonitis). She was in the ICU for 29 days, on life support for 18. She had a colostomy for years afterward.

So yeah, I'm glad I got this taken care of.

Yep, that's what diverticulitis is...an inflammation ("-itis") of the diverticula (side pockets), usually somewhere in the intestines. Yes by all means get it taken care of, peritonitis is like internal bleeding, where you can go from "I don't feel so good" to "sure wish we'd known about this sooner" to dead in an uncomfortably short period of time.

--Patrick

I'm so glad I have your approval.
My approval means squat. Get healthy. Then share the experience (as much or as little as you like) so that I know what to do if something similar happens to someone in my family.
[DOUBLEPOST=1501388690,1501388200][/DOUBLEPOST]My grandmother suffered from a ruptured appendix/polyp (they weren't sure, it was the 30's after all) which was diagnosed as "serious stomach cramps" and she recovered, though it wasn't easy. When they did surgery for something else 30+ years later, they discovered her organs were all stuck together, a thing that the surgeons said only tends to happen when you've had infection or chyme leak into your abdominal cavity, which means Mr. Stomach Cramp had been, well, full of crap.

...so yes, I'm interested, and concerned, and want to know what happens (that you're willing to share), because the way she described it, it sounds like the sort of thing that I really don't want happening to people I know.

--Patrick

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
I'm no baby when it comes to pain, but the most pain I've ever been in was a bacterial flourish in my small intestine. I didn't go to the doctor at first because it was a familiar kind of pain. But it got sharper and sharper, and no amount of shifting or psychological placating would work anymore.

I went to a walk-in clinic, and this ancient doctor (mustve been pushing 75) write a script for some ancient meds. I took it to CVS and I think they had to go blow dust off the containers. I'm not even joking. Even before insurance, my bill was like $4 I kid you not because this stuff was so last century. Anyway, worked like a charm. Pain was gone in less than an hour.