Minor victory thread

Dec 3, 2009
Savannah, GA
I paid off my then-girlfriend-now-wife's student loans while we were dating, using revenues generated only from the interpretation cases I took as a grad student. It was the manliest I'd ever felt in my life.

Although I think it sort of made her feel obligated to marry me afterwards, which is kinda... I dunno how to describe it.

To put it into perspective, there's an officer in my precinct who was married to a female officer, recently got divorced, then turned around and paid for his new girlfriend's breast implants.

I think you win, bro. There is nothing wrong about taking steps to support your woman. It's the manliest thing that you can do - providing for loved ones.

Reactions: bhamv3

fade

Staff member
Nov 27, 2008
www.fadecomic.com
So I've been over this Hobie Cat, and I cannot find anything majorly wrong with it. I'm really wondering how I got this deal. My theory is that the seller kind of poisoned the well. He put it up for sale at a low price, so people assumed something was wrong with it. I know I did at first.

Dec 1, 2008
Other Fourth Coast, USA
So I've been over this Hobie Cat, and I cannot find anything majorly wrong with it. I'm really wondering how I got this deal. My theory is that the seller kind of poisoned the well. He put it up for sale at a low price, so people assumed something was wrong with it. I know I did at first.
Maybe it's cursed/haunted?

--Patrick

This reminds me of my own student loans. Exactly one month after I was supposed to start paying, we changed the local currency with dollars. With an exchange rate on 25000 sucres per dollar, I paid all the debt with my first salary.
That reminds me of a story when I used to work at Subway. I worked with a guy named Mike. There was another Mike who worked at another Subway a few blocks away.

One time, this guy comes in and asks for Mike So-and-So (not actual name). I didn't know Mike's last name, so I assumed he was talking about the guy I worked with. He came out from the back and the guy hands him some papers, says, "You've been served," and walks out.

The Mike I worked with took one look at the papers and realized they weren't meant for him. They were meant for the other Mike, with a totally different last name. The guy had just served the wrong guy papers for owing student loan fees.

We called up the other Mike and told him the story.

He wound up taking it to court and had all of his student loans completely cleared away because of the screw up.

Jun 3, 2012
I went to a friend's makeup party and ordered a hot pink sparkly lipstick. I tried it and it's awesome and matches the pink in my hair :)

Nov 27, 2008
Still not in Michigan
radioradio.tumblr.com
I blew through my vacation money while on vacation. Then tree happened. Then car needed ~$200 repair to pass inspection. Registration is still due by the end of the week.

The victory is family is helping out to make sure everything gets done, and I've been told multiple times that I deserved the vacation and to not feel guilty.

To qualify for a much better loan, I needed to be able to cough up all of the registration fees and lawyer fees for the house myself. Which I couldn't (taxes alone amount to roughly €38K. Have I mentioned Belgian taxes and how much they suck lately?).
SOoooooo....Parents decided to loan me the extra intrest-free and without payments 'till we've settled in and actually have money again. Thanks mom & dad!

fade

Staff member
Nov 27, 2008
www.fadecomic.com
You actually can't do that in the US. Well, you can, but the bank will view that as additional debt in their consideration for the loan. If money shows up after you have started the application process, it has to be documented. We went through this with some friends who wanted to lend us some money interest free to help us meet 20% down on our house.

Dec 6, 2009
Tampere, Finland
You actually couldn't do that in Finland either. Those loan terms (start paying the loan back at some future point, instead of regular installments starting immediately) would probably not be acceptable to the tax authorities here; they'd term your loan as a gift, and slap you with a gift tax. Interest-free and no collateral are a-okay, but the payback plan is the thing that would likely kill it over here.

But I take it you've checked that everything in the arrangement is okay with authorities in Belgium?

Yes. Well, wed do have to start making regular pay-backs, or it'll be classed a gift, but there's no minimum. €85/month is technically enough, and what my brother paid for a small loan he took out way back when, and was classified as fine.
If my parents die within 7 years it might get classed as part of an early inheritance thing, but that's technically still not really an issue.