Minor victory thread

before you get used to the new keyboard's shape :D
That's gonna be a while. The extra row of macro keys down the left side makes me put my left hand one key too far to the left. I keep reflexively covering <CAPS>ASD instead of ASDF.
It's completely programmable. You have no idea. Not only can you reassign any key to any other key (or even mouse clicks) or program any key to fire off a macro dump, but with some programming skills you can make a key change color based on whether or not that button is off cool down, or make the function row light up as a health bar that shrinks as you take damage, or whatever your brain can figure out how to program.

I keep threatening to get Kati something from Unicom. Someday.

--Patrick

That's gonna be a while. The extra row of macro keys down the left side makes me put my left hand one key too far to the left. I keep reflexively covering <CAPS>ASD instead of ASDF.
It's completely programmable. You have no idea. Not only can you reassign any key to any other key (or even mouse clicks) or program any key to fire off a macro dump, but with some programming skills you can make a key change color based on whether or not that button is off cool down, or make the function row light up as a health bar that shrinks as you take damage, or whatever your brain can figure out how to program.

I keep threatening to get Kati something from Unicom. Someday.

--Patrick
Sweet. I would definitely encourage dicking around with that, then, I've found it very fun myself.

My SO said I'd have to find a new house if I got anything as loud as blues. I think greens or buckling spring would get me outright killed.

Since we have so many Americans here.

Every U.S. state holds onto money that people are owed and haven't claimed. Including from third-parties. You just have to go to their website and look yourself up.

https://www.usa.gov/unclaimed-money

Don't forget to look at "Search by State."You may not have anything coming to you... but you might!

Well it's been awhile since I last looked, but there may actually be something there for me, from all places, the university of michigan. It's only firstname, lastname, and middle initial, and they process tens of thousands of students a year, so it's very likely it's not me. But I suppose I'll look into it.

It's doubly amusing because their fundraisers and alumni people have had no problem finding me over the last decade, so why would they have problems finding me to return money?

Will be interesting to find out if it is actually me, and what it's all about.

GasBandit

Staff member

Every U.S. state holds onto money that people are owed and haven't claimed. Including from third-parties. You just have to go to their website and look yourself up.

Don't forget to look at "Search by State."You may not have anything coming to you... but you might!
I actually used that once and found out A&M owed me a hunnerd bucks. I was all.. "Huh. Cool."

GasBandit

Staff member
Huh. It says SFOT, which I am guessing is Six Flags Over Texas, owes me $159 in unpaid wages?

... I've never worked for Six Flags.

I briefly considered claiming the money anyway. But I guess there's some other schmuck out there with my name (actually I know there are at least 2 more) who might find it and need it.

Well it's been awhile since I last looked, but there may actually be something there for me, from all places, the university of michigan. It's only firstname, lastname, and middle initial, and they process tens of thousands of students a year, so it's very likely it's not me. But I suppose I'll look into it.

It's doubly amusing because their fundraisers and alumni people have had no problem finding me over the last decade, so why would they have problems finding me to return money?

Will be interesting to find out if it is actually me, and what it's all about.
How much?

Yes, I know. I have unclaimed property left over from the late 80's/early 90's. I have no idea how much it is, just that my name is in there for some stock that's in mine/my dad's name from when I was < 18. I remember it about once or twice a year and think, "I should do something about that."

--Patrick

How much?
It looks like the michigan list doesn't have amounts. I just noticed my name on the list (again, not my full middle name, and my name is common enough that there's certainly more of me) so I think I'll have to submit something somewhere to discover anything further, and I expect they'll match using social security number of birthdate or similar.

It looks like the michigan list doesn't have amounts.
I noticed that. I also know that the company involved doesn't exist any more, so that reduces my sense of urgency to pay the research fee to find out if it's ultimately going to be worth anything to me.

--Patrick

Yeah, there's a form you fill out with your social security number, all prior addresses, and you have to send in copies of your driver's license, social security card, and if your name is different or you are claiming it for a relative or deceased individual legal documentation about name changes, wills, power of attorney, etc.

Then you mail it in to the Michigan department of treasury.

I suspect that the money goes into state coffers, and they only have to give it out when people do all the steps required, and thus they get a nice little slush fund they can collect interest on in the best case, or draw from as long as they maintain a certain amount in the worst case.

At any rate, it's enough trouble that if I do it at all it'll be when I literally have nothing better to do. Chances are good it's not me, and if it is it's a small amount.

Yeah, I think I have $200 on there from 4-5 entities. Most of them are utility deposits and $30 I left in a bank account when I moved.

So we got another weird translation case. Someone wanted to translate their Chinese family motto into English. The motto is a poem in Chinese, one that basically says "our family is awesome, let's keep it awesome".

In the past, we'd tell such clients that we'd be able to translate the meaning of the poem, but we wouldn't be able to deliver the translation in the form of a poem, because translating poetry is almost impossible.

Well, that was before the company higher-ups realized we have a guy who does poetry translations on the payroll. So this time we said we'd give them a translation of the motto, in verse form.

Anyway, long story short, the client told us they're extremely impressed with my work, and once again I am seen as a god in our company.

This has good aspects and bad aspects, but on the whole I'm gonna call it a win.

So, I got promoted at work. I am now the head of the Chinese to English editing department. Originally there were two more-senior members of our department (the original supervisor, and an editor slightly more senior than me) but they both left the company on August 1. That left me as the de facto supervisor of the department, and I just got called into a meeting to make the position official.

The good news is a slightly higher salary. The not-so-good news is a wider variety of duties, some of them rather unpleasant. For example, you know how I often complain about how crappy some of our translators are? Well, those are translators who have already passed our translation test. Now, as part of my new role, I have to grade the translation tests themselves. I've had a glance at some of them, and quite simply I'd be surprised if some of these people even know what an English keyboard looks like. These additional duties would be on top of the editing I have to do already, so my workload is going to increase, and my work hours will too, probably.

Still though, more money is good, the affirmation of my peers is good, and I think I could do all right in this role. So I'm calling this a win.