[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Cajungal

Staff member
I noticed a good amount of the audience could also be described as "people who have only vaguely heard of nerds", so there's your answer.

I can't remember if I ever mentioned this, but many years ago when my father and grandmother were visiting us and my dad, while watching TBBT, asked if I wanted to join him. When I declined, he seemed surprised, thinking this would be right up my alley. I told him the episodes I had seen didn't make me laugh, that they treated the women on the show terribly, and "the four main cast members are supposed to be about my age, but ever 'geek' reference they make sounds like it came from someone [your] age". My father, a life-long sci-fi/fantasy/comic book enthusiast thought about it, conceded my point and never asked me to watch again. My point being, of all people, he should have noticed that, and it even went over his head, so I doubt you're going to get much better from most viewers.
That does sound familiar. Oy.

The show has appeal because it allows people who aren’t astrophysicists or neurosurgeons to be able to ridicule and mock people who are regarding traits they lack, like interpersonal skills, just so they can feel good about the fact they aren’t as smart. It’s the same as yelling, “Four-eyes!” at the nerdy grade school classmate, but for grown-ups.

—Patrick

I fell out of love with TBBT simply because it stopped being funny. It now feels more like a soap opera with a laugh track.

The earlier seasons did have some great moments though.

Don't hand me your work and ask me to verify the results and then try to tell me to have it finished by noon.

Dude the pencil on my desk has more seniority than you.

Last edited:
I even once edited that edited version to take out the awkward pauses between lines, so it flowed more like normal conversation. It just made everybody sound like humorless assholes.
That's not caused by your edit, that's how they always sound. Especially Wool..Wolf...Wolfenstein? I seriously can't remember their names right now. All I've got is Sheldon, Raj (?), David, and Wolfenstein or whatever.

That's not caused by your edit, that's how they always sound. Especially Wool..Wolf...Wolfenstein? I seriously can't remember their names right now. All I've got is Sheldon, Raj (?), David, and Wolfenstein or whatever.
Wojciehowicz

Or Wojo for short

The first few seasons were funny. Not hilarious, but funny. It’s run out of interesting material to me at this point and I’ve been over it for years.

A former friend of mine loved it and don’t even get me started on her and that show.

I somehow managed to badly burn myself cooking today. Three fingers and the top of my foot. I have no clue how I managed to get my foot.

I had an appointment to see my doctor today for something else and I was able to have him look at my burns. He prescribed cream to prevent infection because I’m particularly susceptible.

The problem is that my fingers haven’t stopped hurting. Every time I remove them from the ice, they burn :(

Not sure how I’m going to write, type or drive tomorrow.

It hurts a lot less today, but the blisters on my hand have gone dark red rather than white. The last few times I burned myself, the blisters were white.

GasBandit

Staff member
A salesperson just went into a "wait stop everything is wrong re-do and re-check everything" panic because he got a couple commercials emailed to him, and he thought they were wrong.

He assumed that one spot would be on the "left," and the other spot would be on the "right."

But because the spot he assumed would be on the left was on the right and vice versa (again, IN HIS E-MAIL where the attachment filenames were truncated), he thought the wrong spots would be running on the wrong days.

/headdesk

He's a kindly old gent but he does everything wrong and makes everything harder for everyone because he struggles with anything that was invented after the rotary telephone.

A salesperson just went into a "wait stop everything is wrong re-do and re-check everything" panic because he got a couple commercials emailed to him, and he thought they were wrong.

He assumed that one spot would be on the "left," and the other spot would be on the "right."

But because the spot he assumed would be on the left was on the right and vice versa (again, IN HIS E-MAIL where the attachment filenames were truncated), he thought the wrong spots would be running on the wrong days.

/headdesk

He's a kindly old gent but he does everything wrong and makes everything harder for everyone because he struggles with anything that was invented after the rotary telephone.
I had an employee like that at a call center one time. She was the sweetest woman you could ask for - perfect for a customer service role, she could talk down the angriest of screamers. What she couldn't do was keep the companies or their products straight. Or what the difference between a laptop and a desktop was. Or pretty much anything technological. We supported a third-party payment clearing house that supported 23 different software companies' online stores. It was not the job for her.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had an employee like that at a call center one time. She was the sweetest woman you could ask for - perfect for a customer service role, she could talk down the angriest of screamers. What she couldn't do was keep the companies or their products straight. Or what the difference between a laptop and a desktop was. Or pretty much anything technological. We supported a third-party payment clearing house that supported 23 different software companies' online stores. It was not the job for her.
I hear ya. Most of our sales force is comprised of either past-their-prime seniors who struggle with technology and should have been out to pasture 10 years ago, or completely functionless wastes of carbon who just won't do their jobs.

But that's what you get when you aren't willing to pay for quality. A never-ending merry-go-round of overwhelmed incompetence and apathetic sloth.

Don't be surprised if you lose some sensation there, at least temporarily, while it's healing.
The whole area is stiff and hard to move sometimes now.

I’m just hoping that the new colour goes away. It’s gross looking and I feel that it’s pretty obvious. A certain husband of mine doesn’t think it’s too bad.