[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
Why don’t the reserve your spot for you?
Because nothing gets done around here that I don't do, pretty much. It's a right shitshow, some days. We have literal tree saplings growing up through the asphalt of the brand new parking lots we just had done last year, and no matter how many times I tell the GM "Hey we should probably kill those trees sprouting up through the pavement up against the wall before they cause real structural damage" they are STILL there.
So, yeah, I'd pretty much need to get the sign made and install the post myself, to get it done. And that's a lot of work for something that isn't necessary because everybody who works here already knows it's mine.

(It's also actually not a real parking spot, it's a dirt patch between two trees up against the far fence at the far end of the employee parking lot, literally the farthest place to park from the door, another reason it isn't usually an issue).

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Because nothing gets done around here that I don't do, pretty much. It's a right shitshow, some days. We have literal tree saplings growing up through the asphalt of the brand new parking lots we just had done last year, and no matter how many times I tell the GM "Hey we should probably kill those trees sprouting up through the pavement up against the wall before they cause real structural damage" they are STILL there.
So, yeah, I'd pretty much need to get the sign made and install the post myself, to get it done. And that's a lot of work for something that isn't necessary because everybody who works here already knows it's mine.

(It's also actually not a real parking spot, it's a dirt patch between two trees up against the far fence at the far end of the employee parking lot, literally the farthest place to park from the door, another reason it isn't usually an issue).
Sounds like my work in that way. I’m the only one making progress on my pay and other issues. I’m helping another person with theirs too because I have so many meetings with senior people that can help and I want them to get the help they need as well.

Their issue would get buried if they just got added to my boss’ to do list.

Gad dammit. Got home from a bachelor party, turns out I forgot my key...and my girlfriend's at work for 5 more hours. And it's 100° (Fahrenheit) here. Uggggghhh.

Mom just called while I was getting ready for work...

The bad news: she's got pneumonia. At 74 and practically bedridden, this is slightly terrifying. But she's far less worried about it than I am. I hope she's right about it just being a mild case.

The good news: she thinks the idea of the Cells at Work! anime is cool. She's a retired med tech, so this is relevant to her interests. That it's medically accurate is even cooler.

Internal backup HDD for my home Minecraft (and other things) server dropped off overnight. This could be because it's been running non-stop for several months, or it could just be because the machine I'm using is almost 10 years old now. At least the SSD isn't giving me any trouble.
I mean, I do want to replace the server with something a bit more capable and modern (with more cores, RAM, ECC support, virtualization, etc)...but not right now.
Restarting didn't bring it back, but a cold shutdown did. SMART doesn't report any issues, gonna hope it was just a fluke, because I gotta update to Minecraft 1.13 today lest my players get testy...

--Patrick

One of the YouTube channels I follow just depublished.
The channel is still there, but the hundreds of videos that were in it aren’t. No explanation, no warning, nothing. Just...gone.

Oh, and I put a small desk fan where it can blow on the Minecraft server. Problem solved.

EDIT: Sorry, @figmentPez , that would be telling.

—Patrick

Last edited:
Our new intern is annoying me.

We have network drives at our company. It's on these network drives that our translation cases, as well as translation memories and termbases/glossaries, are stored. As a general rule, we're to download all files to our local computer before working on them. Apart from this being general good practice when it comes to shared files, it's also essential for version control, so that we know that the version stored on the network drives is the latest and most correct version.

Our new intern has been working directly off the network drives. Now, normally this would be an understandable mistake to make for a new recruit to the company. No big deal, we'll just remind him not to do that, maybe explain why, and as long as it doesn't happen again then it's no problem. But he does keep doing it. And what's more, he lies about doing it, despite it being obvious when he's working off the network drives. For one thing, our glossary files create extra temporary files in the same directory when they're loaded into our computer-aided translation software, so it's obvious when someone's using a glossary directly off the network drive. For another thing, we can see when these files were last accessed and updated, and they correspond to when he was working on the cases.

As far as I can tell, he's lying about it because he's embarrassed to have done the wrong thing even after having been told not to do it. So I'm a bit reluctant to say, "Dude, we can tell when you're lying." Maybe I will bust him directly if it keeps happening. But for now, it's annoying.

I miss the tall, blonde, beautiful Swedish intern who likes video games.

Disable write access in that directory for him. If he accesses it directly it'll try to create the temporary file, and fail, throwing an error in his face every time he does it.

In fact, if this is version controlled you should have write access disabled for everyone except those with authority to update those critical core files.

But that's an IT solution to a personnel problem, and might not be something you have much control over...

Chipped the veneer on my front tooth today. To be fair though, the veneer by itself could walk into a bar and legally purchase booze, so it's pretty old. It's a souvenir of the lovely time I had my face slammed into a porcelain water fountain so hard the my upper incisor snapped in half.

For me it was a foosball table.
No veneer, though.

--Patrick
I'm just glad we took the dentist's advice, instead of the orthodontist's who wanted to grind its partner down to match the broken one, instead of using a veneer to build the broken one back up. In hindsight, he wasn't a very good orthodontist.

If I didn't even get handsy with the beautiful blonde Swedish intern who likes video games, what makes you think I intend to start with this dude? :p
Hey, you have options that don't involve getting handsy. Two were mentioned in this thread, but there are others. Bats, poles, all kinds of farming implements... You have options, my dude.

Hey, you have options that don't involve getting handsy. Two were mentioned in this thread, but there are others. Bats, poles, all kinds of farming implements... You have options, my dude.
I shall rephrase.

I didn't even bring out my bat for the beautiful blonde Swedish intern who likes video games, what makes you think I intend to start with this dude? :p

Cajungal

Staff member
I was listening to Neil Degrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry on audiobook while setting up my classroom, and a teacher came in to ask a question and was like, "What are you listening to???" When I told her she nodded her head and said, "I get it now. You're a total Sheldon." I've been told this by three people.

I'm not socially awkward. I'm not a smug dick to people. Why do people insist on pigeonholing anyone with remotely geeky interests using a sub-par TV show that seems to be written by people who have only vaguely heard of nerds?

Next time tell them you don't know what she means. When they refer to the show be disgusted that they have the time to watch TV.

Why do people insist on pigeonholing anyone with remotely geeky interests using a sub-par TV show that seems to be written by people who have only vaguely heard of nerds?
I noticed a good amount of the audience could also be described as "people who have only vaguely heard of nerds", so there's your answer.

I can't remember if I ever mentioned this, but many years ago when my father and grandmother were visiting us and my dad, while watching TBBT, asked if I wanted to join him. When I declined, he seemed surprised, thinking this would be right up my alley. I told him the episodes I had seen didn't make me laugh, that they treated the women on the show terribly, and "the four main cast members are supposed to be about my age, but ever 'geek' reference they make sounds like it came from someone [your] age". My father, a life-long sci-fi/fantasy/comic book enthusiast thought about it, conceded my point and never asked me to watch again. My point being, of all people, he should have noticed that, and it even went over his head, so I doubt you're going to get much better from most viewers.

The largest down vote in my Reddit history is when I called TBBT Nerd-Face.
Because that's a really stupid take that trivializes the awfulness of blackface.

That being said, I'm incredibly surprised you got downvoted for that given that I see that take highly upvoted there literally every time bbt is mentioned.

Because that's a really stupid take that trivializes the awfulness of blackface.

That being said, I'm incredibly surprised you got downvoted for that given that I see that take highly upvoted there literally every time bbt is mentioned.
You know you can go fuck yourself. I don't like getting insulted by CBS or you.