[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Does Head Weasel (tm) work when there's not much - if any - hair left to work with?
Also, is it supposed to be 2x sable in the color listing? :p

Tired of your human hair? Want a new look for your on-the-go lifestyle?

Get the new, improved Head Weasel (TM)!

Yes, we have trained the Head Weasel(TM) to sit on your head and blend naturally with your hair to give it a fuller, wilder look. The patented Claws(TM) will hook in deep to keep the Head Weasel(TM) in place while you go on with your everyday life. Perfect for work or play, you won't even lose it if you go swimming because this little bugger will swim right back to you.

The Head Weasel(TM) comes in a rainbow of natural colours - sable, chocolate, champagne, cinnamon, sable, silver, and albino.

Order your Head Weasel(TM) today! I can personally vouch for your satisfaction because I'm not just the president of the company, I'm also a client.

Seriously, @Squidleybits, that sucks. <hugs>
I sometimes have a Head Pud ( or close to one) when I'm on the couch or sleeping, but he's a baby about going outside. Especially in the winter. The door was open the other day and he stood there and blinked his eyes and backed away.

I sometimes have a Head Pud ( or close to one) when I'm on the couch or sleeping, but he's a baby about going outside. Especially in the winter. The door was open the other day and he stood there and blinked his eyes and backed away.
Have you tried that white stuff someone sprayed all over the place?! It's cold. And wet. And did I mention COLD?

Absolutely, though for best results, I would recommend getting two Head Weasels(TM).
I ordered several Head Weasels, and while my hair has never looked fuller or more luxurious, my child is missing and the Head Weasels are looking a little chunky. Should I be worried?

I am not an outdoor cat. I am an indoor cat. Where it is warm and there is no risk of water falling from the sky!

Oh, terrific. I found out my friend can sign me up for a Facebook group discussing our upcoming 20th high school reunion. My feeling are as follows:

Macadamia? Peanut (not technically a nut)? Brazil? Almonds? Cashew? Hazel? Pecan? Pistachio? Scrotum?

'Cause I disagree about most of those :p
It was an assortment.

Of unsalted nuts.

:(

I had to eat some salt and pepper pistachio nuts simultaneously to work through the unsalted nuts.

It was slightly better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick,[DOUBLEPOST=1518116217,1518116153][/DOUBLEPOST]
When in doubt, hash and salt.
WARNING 3042: Check order of operations.

Unsalted nuts are actually quite tasty IF they're roasted properly.
Trader Joe's used to carry unsalted blister peanuts that were fantastic, but now they only carry the salted ones, which aren't the same.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I just sent an e-mail to our owner that I am hoping will cause an epiphany/wake up call. McDonalds stopped buying advertising from us direct. But, through affiliate marketing, they have a commercial in EVERY SINGLE ONE of the commercial breaks in the morning show of one of our stations tomorrow.

So basically, because we're taking all comers on affiliate marketing, undermining our in-house sales staff, McDonalds figured out it could stop paying $18/spot for 3 spots in the morning drive, and instead got NINE spots for (does math) 48 cents a spot in the same daypart.

He needs to fucking cancel all our for-cash affiliate marketing, it's devaluing our product almost as badly as if our FCC license were to be in jeopardy.

But all he sees is the "We'll send you a check for $1000/mo" and signs contracts. Never mind that $1000 gives them 36 minutes a day, every day, the whole month.

Dave

Staff member
So we didn't kill my mom today, which is good. But since she still has Alzheimer's this goes into a rant thread, even if it's a minor one.

First, I found out today how the terminology for a pacemaker goes. Her pacemaker is at 14%. Holy shit! That's bad, right? Nope. It means that her heart only needs help 14% of the time and is 86% efficient on its own. Now if the BATTERY were at 14% we'd have a discussion, but the pacemaker itself at 14% is a good thing.

The issue we talked about today was the delicate balancing act between life quality and end of life quality. Right now she's got a slow but inexorable deadly disease that will kill her. Her blood pressure medication (they think) is causing her to become dizzy and she's a fall risk. So she's been taken off of the blood thinners, which puts her at an elevated risk for a stroke, which she's had before. So what we THOUGHT our choices were today were to either turn off the pacemaker and let nature take its course, or leave her as is and be under the possibility that she lingers for a long, long time. But we found out that the reason they took her off the thinners was precisely because she is a fall risk. Last time she fell they she had a brain bleed because of the thinners so this presents a problem. Cut down on the blood thinners and she won't bruise/bleed so badly if/when she does fall. I asked the doctor if there was a middle ground between the Coumadin (blood thinner) and taking her off completely and he said that aspirin would be a happy medium - not enough thinning to make her bruise at an angry glance, but thin enough that the risk of clot is severely lessened. So now she's on baby aspirin to see how well that works.

So we're still in a holding pattern, even though she absolutely will get worse. We're looking at a multitude of scenarios, but the two most likely are the battery in the pacemaker runs out (she's had it for 3 years and they last 5-10), she has a fall that is so damaging that we take her off of the pacemaker so she can spend less time in pain, or something else rears its head that we don't expect and we deal with it then. The doctor said turning off the pacemaker at about 25% is what he'd do. Any more than that and you start to run into physician ethical issues as turning it off would be considered killing the patient, if not right away. We just know that 50% is where most cardiologist draw the line and we don't want to get near that. If it ever reached 100% - as in it's the only thing keeping the heart beating - it would act as a de facto life support.

So for now we'll keep monitoring as her quality of life is great, if not confused.

So we didn't kill my mom today, which is good. But since she still has Alzheimer's this goes into a rant thread, even if it's a minor one.

First, I found out today how the terminology for a pacemaker goes. Her pacemaker is at 14%. Holy shit! That's bad, right? Nope. It means that her heart only needs help 14% of the time and is 86% efficient on its own. Now if the BATTERY were at 14% we'd have a discussion, but the pacemaker itself at 14% is a good thing.

The issue we talked about today was the delicate balancing act between life quality and end of life quality. Right now she's got a slow but inexorable deadly disease that will kill her. Her blood pressure medication (they think) is causing her to become dizzy and she's a fall risk. So she's been taken off of the blood thinners, which puts her at an elevated risk for a stroke, which she's had before. So what we THOUGHT our choices were today were to either turn off the pacemaker and let nature take its course, or leave her as is and be under the possibility that she lingers for a long, long time. But we found out that the reason they took her off the thinners was precisely because she is a fall risk. Last time she fell they she had a brain bleed because of the thinners so this presents a problem. Cut down on the blood thinners and she won't bruise/bleed so badly if/when she does fall. I asked the doctor if there was a middle ground between the Coumadin (blood thinner) and taking her off completely and he said that aspirin would be a happy medium - not enough thinning to make her bruise at an angry glance, but thin enough that the risk of clot is severely lessened. So now she's on baby aspirin to see how well that works.

So we're still in a holding pattern, even though she absolutely will get worse. We're looking at a multitude of scenarios, but the two most likely are the battery in the pacemaker runs out (she's had it for 3 years and they last 5-10), she has a fall that is so damaging that we take her off of the pacemaker so she can spend less time in pain, or something else rears its head that we don't expect and we deal with it then. The doctor said turning off the pacemaker at about 25% is what he'd do. Any more than that and you start to run into physician ethical issues as turning it off would be considered killing the patient, if not right away. We just know that 50% is where most cardiologist draw the line and we don't want to get near that. If it ever reached 100% - as in it's the only thing keeping the heart beating - it would act as a de facto life support.

So for now we'll keep monitoring as her quality of life is great, if not confused.
I still have my parents in mostly good health. Selfishly, I want them to pass quickly when the time comes. That's got to be hard man. I wouldn't even know where or how to tackle that decision. I guess I would want to know what her quality of life is. Is she frightened all the time or mean and belligerent? Since she is a fall risk, I assume she is still mobile. How much can she do on her own: eating, bathroom, bathing, etc.

When I had aspirations to be an M.D., I worked in a geriatric psych medical unit. It was mostly schizophrenics and dementia patients. They all had an empty sad disposition. No spark, no joy.

Wishing for some peace of mind for you Dave.

Charity store came to pick up a whole bunch of the big stuff, like oven, refrigerators, dining room and bedroom furniture, etc. What's left behind is no longer my problem. If I don't need to be present at the sale on Monday, it's over.

Got called about a job I applied for today. OK, 10 minutes exploratory talk. Fine. When can we schedule a meeting? Oh, I'm out of the country next week so that's a problem for them. Oh well...Oh, ok, let's do the WHOLE INTERVIEW by phone, unprepared, sure. And apparently that went well enough you want me to take some tests? Sure...An hour to an hour and a half? Ok, I can squeeze that in.
GET MAIL -> Oh look, it's "estimated completion time: 175 minutes'. THAT'S NOT AN HOUR AND A HALF.
And...oh look, now you also want a motivation letter. Which I couldn't do in advance because your website didn't allow it. Which I also have to send in before I leave....This evening. Well, that's gonna be a problem.

Also: the tests are of the standard "fill in the next letter", "fill in the next symbol", "fill in the next picture" variety. I used to be good at those. Well, guess what, apparently I'm not anymore, because I couldn't find a damn thing. Holy crap. I feel like I'm 20 years stupider than me 5 years ago.

Blargh. Looks like Aislynn and I got food poisoning from our local diner yesterday. Now we'll have to give it a week or two before we go back (or, I suppose we could go in, tell Kathy that they need to watch the fryer temp and try to cook shrimp and beef at the same time less often, and go on eating there every few days like we have been). But I've had two very ugly trips to the bathroom so far, and Aislynn is nauseous this morning, which is usually a good indication that it was the food, and not my IBS/GERD/psychosomatic issues.

GasBandit

Staff member
Blargh. Looks like Aislynn and I got food poisoning from our local diner yesterday. Now we'll have to give it a week or two before we go back (or, I suppose we could go in, tell Kathy that they need to watch the fryer temp and try to cook shrimp and beef at the same time less often, and go on eating there every few days like we have been). But I've had two very ugly trips to the bathroom so far, and Aislynn is nauseous this morning, which is usually a good indication that it was the food, and not my IBS/GERD/psychosomatic issues.
3 seaweed in a food processor will make a snack that will fix that right up ;)

Some days I just can't seem to get out of my own way. This looks to have been one of those days. I'm going to bed.

ETA: I appreciate it, Den, but this isn't really a hug-worthy post. I stepped in it, I have to deal with the blowback.

Last edited: