[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

My immediate supervisor was just fired after 10 years of service in the interest of 'doing what is best for the team'. No notice other than he can come back in the morning to wrap things up.

Just... wow.

We have one full week of school left before the students all go home for summer break. :thumbsup:

Exams finished yesterday, books are being taken up.... laptops are mostly in.... :confused:

One week of school left.... :thumbsdown:

Already ranted in the Empyrion thread about discovering our ISP was supposed to boost us up from 60/6 to 100/10 last year but didn't because we are an Internet-only customer and so got "forgotten," but that's not what I want to rant about here.
Our microwave oven died.
I mean, we have a spare in the attic, and it did last for 13 years, and I got it on sale for only $99 new, but still it's like a loss in the kitchen family.

Also when I went to Amazon to find a replacement, the model I want to get says "Usually ships in 4 to 5 months."

--Patrick

Already ranted in the Empyrion thread about discovering our ISP was supposed to boost us up from 60/6 to 100/10 last year but didn't because we are an Internet-only customer and so got "forgotten," but that's not what I want to rant about here.
Our microwave oven died.
I mean, we have a spare in the attic, and it did last for 13 years, and I got it on sale for only $99 new, but still it's like a loss in the kitchen family.

Also when I went to Amazon to find a replacement, the model I want to get says "Usually ships in 4 to 5 months."

--Patrick
Damn, and here I am being pissy at Google for apparently choosing to send my new Chromecast by mule-train.

Left all my car windows down because it was hot yesterday but supposed to cool off overnight and not rain.

Well, it did.

Also now my car interior has a dusting of maple seeds to add to the fun.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I made the mistake of letting GeForce Experience update my nvidia drivers. Now my games are alt tabbing me back to desktop every 15 minutes, and sometimes the screen even goes black and comes right back.

Never update.

Never. Fucking. Update. It was working great. Why did I update? It said the drivers were game-ready and I thought it might have some performance enhancing features for Empyrion, but no, it's just fucked everything up.

Never. Fucking. Update.

I thought it might have some performance enhancing features for Empyrion
Mostly what they are pushing is the ability to do game recording from right within the NVIDIA software instead of using some other program for that. But you already do, and it works, so ... ?

On the other hand, new streaming opportunity...watch this guy curse and fix his drivers on livestream?

--Patrick

What part of Nvidia's software do I need to remove to get rid of that overlay? I don't broadcast, and if I did, I wouldn't use their software to do it, they're a card manufacturer, they should be concentrating on performance.

GasBandit

Staff member
What part of Nvidia's software do I need to remove to get rid of that overlay? I don't broadcast, and if I did, I wouldn't use their software to do it, they're a card manufacturer, they should be concentrating on performance.
If you figure it out, let me know, too. That overlay's been there for years, though I've not had this problem since I stopped using Citrix on this computer. I tried using it to record or stream, but it's vastly inferior to OBS in just about every way.

Last edited:
If you figure it out, let me know, too. That overlay's been there for years, though I've not had this problem since I stopped using Citrix on this computer. I tried using it to record or stream, but it's vastly inferior to OBS in just about every way.
It says you can disable the overlay fairly simply in settings from within Settings in Game Experience. Whether that will keep it turned off or not, I guess we'll see.

Tried to make Scottish tablet. It didn't set properly. So now I have soft, delicious caramel.

I've done some more internet researching and I'll try again in a couple weeks.
My grandmother used to make something similar to that (at least from the look of it), but it was peanut brittle or peanut butter fudge depending on what she wanted to call it. It wasn't a hard brittle and it wasn't a soft textured fudge either. It was grainy and super sweet.

My grandmother used to make something similar to that (at least from the look of it), but it was peanut brittle or peanut butter fudge depending on what she wanted to call it. It wasn't a hard brittle and it wasn't a soft textured fudge either. It was grainy and super sweet.
That sounds a lot like tablet (with the addition of peanut butter).

UGH-freakin' Cartoon Network, they keep forgetting to label episodes as either re-runs or new so my DVR ends up recording an ENTIRE day of programming! Even WORSE because the one NEW episode today is labeled as a rerun so my DVR will forget to record it!

UGH-freakin' Cartoon Network, they keep forgetting to label episodes as either re-runs or new so my DVR ends up recording an ENTIRE day of programming! Even WORSE because the one NEW episode today is labeled as a rerun so my DVR will forget to record it!
I thought we were the only ones with this issue. CN is bad about it, but Nickelodeon has a bad habit of that, too. Or airing a completely different show than the one listed. Only Disney seems to get them straight, but I hate when they switch shows between Disney proper and XD and we miss new episodes.

I thought we were the only ones with this issue. CN is bad about it, but Nickelodeon has a bad habit of that, too. Or airing a completely different show than the one listed. Only Disney seems to get them straight, but I hate when they switch shows between Disney proper and XD and we miss new episodes.
UGH-so much yes to this, "Oh look its my favorite ep of the Loud House aaaaaaaaaand its just the Thundermans. CURSE YOU WHOEVER WAS IN CHARGE OF THIS TV SCHEDULE!"

Why can't I find a doctor's office worth a damn? This time the provider seems good enough, but we had labs done two and a half weeks ago and we still don't have our results! We know the results are available, because the psychiatrist got his copy of them and already prescribed me a Vitamin D supplement based upon them, but we can't get anything out of the primary care office. I even called them last week and was told, after a rather long hold time, "Sorry about the hold, I was just talking with the records person, and she just got your labs off the fax machine today. She's going to get them to the doctor and we'll give you a call in a little bit." I now suspect that I was lied to about a) that hold time and b) the status of my lab results and their location relative to the fax machine. I don't know why they don't at least fucking mail them!

Medical records are much more restrictive now due to onerous privacy and retention requirements. And when I say “onerous,” I mean slipping up even once could mean an instant end to your career with no hope of reinstatement.

—Patrick

Medical records are much more restrictive now due to onerous privacy and retention requirements. And when I say “onerous,” I mean slipping up even once could mean an instant end to your career.

—Patrick
That's all well and good, but Aislynn and I are both diabetics and need to know our A1Cs, which is why our doctor ordered labs, and why we went and had 8 vials of blood drawn. I'm not asking for a detailed explanation by voicemail, but the mail is still an acceptable legal method for delivering health information; as is the "patient portal" system they have set up, which we've opted into; and an actual phone call (though that would be kind of weird and, I dunno, time-consumey) that we answered.

Don't close my task titled "Get them engaged with Partner Success" then open and assign me another titled "Follow up with PS"...

I use that wording to generate lists, changing the task for no reason throws off my searches...

Dave

Staff member
Guess whose wife did NOT get the job they offered her? It was due to a thing in her background check that nobody else has ever given a shit about, but apparently if you are working with handicapped kids 25+ years of no trouble and complete stability doesn't mean anything if you have something domestic in your background.

Guess whose wife did NOT get the job they offered her? It was due to a thing in her background check that nobody else has ever given a shit about, but apparently if you are working with handicapped kids 25+ years of no trouble and complete stability doesn't mean anything if you have something domestic in your background.
"You married who? Oh, that's clearly poor judgement."

While running it, the dishwasher arm falls off and lands on the element and melts the arm. Landlord is trying to shake us down the $40 to replace it.

Get fucked. I hate landlords. I've only had one that wasn't a scummy piece of shit during tenancy and even they forced us out of the house at 12pm on the 30th on the last month. Luckily we were able to move our truck up a day and had already been occupying the new place for a month but had to rush and do it alone as everyone that was going to give us a hand move 200 km and to the mainland had booked the first off. Another owes us almost $3k but fucked off to England so we're not getting that back.

It's not about the money in this case. I can afford the $40 if we we're going to pay. I'm tired of being at the mercy of these people.