[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Maybe it's time for stitches or to go buy the little butterfly tape thingies to do them yourself?

Use those in crosses along the cut then put a gauze finger cot on it and buddy tape as needed.

Stupid job covers bereavement pay for step-parents, but not step-grandparents so I can't go to Missouri (from Texas) to be there for my family. I could take vacation and go but then in July when my kid is born I won't be able to take vacation then to be with my wife =/ I don't really want to/care to go to the funeral but it's more of a want to be there to support family type thing

Was actually being 100% serious - yeah it hurts like a motherfucker, but it gets the job done... have done a similar injury whilst working on my car before.
So does Visine, or filé, or dried shrimp powder*, but I settled on A&D ointment since we have so much of it. It doesn't cause vasoconstriction, but it will keep the pad from ripping the scab back off (which I am getting quite tired of).
Maybe it's time for stitches or to go buy the little butterfly tape thingies to do them yourself?
Can't. Both of those solutions are for cuts where there are edges to pull together. This is something where you just cover it and wait for it to fill back in.

--Patrick
*no, seriously! The Military is even considering packing it in kits as an emergency coagulant.

Took my wife out to see Zootopia over the weekend, for mothers day/our anniversary.

We *were* going to see the new Civil War, but the theater has assigned seating, and there were no two empty seats next to each other. But no big deal. Zootopia was fun.

We get there a little early, and this theater has a restaurant/bar attached. So we decide to get drinks before the show, which we've never done here. We sat at the bar, got "i'm of age" wristbands like we were in a teen club, and ordered two martinis. Mine with gin and vermouth, like a proper martini. Hers with olive juice and vodka, like something that comes in a martini glass, but is definitely not a martini ;)

The drinks were perfect. Seriously. Scrumptious and the proportions were just right. So she asks if we should order another round, and I say "no" (which is unusual for me). She asks why a bit indignantly, pointing out that we'll be stone cold sober by the end of the movie, so I lean over and whisper in her ear: "These two martinis just cost me thirty bucks. They weren't that good."

Movie theater price gouging is ridiculous. If the drinks had been more realistically priced, I might have made it a thing to have a drink before every show in that theater...but fuck those guys.

I went alone to see Civil War on Saturday morning, ticket and a large drink, no snack, $15. 2D showing. $15. With my wife along would have probably been $35.

I went with my wife to a Saturday morning showing of Civil War, cost about 20 US dollars for two tickets, a drink and a snack. Y'all should move to Taiwan.

The theater we usually go to is $15 a ticket by itself. It also has plush duo recliners and assigned seating though, so we can just roll in a minute before the movie starts and not get stuck in the front. :p

I went with my wife to a Saturday morning showing of Civil War, cost about 20 US dollars for two tickets, a drink and a snack. Y'all should move to Taiwan.
I've just gotten really good at sneaking food in. My friends and I once managed to sneak into a theater an entire Thanksgiving dinner

Usually we eat before we get to the theater, but I've been known to carry a large purse in case we want to sneak stuff in. We also try to go to matinees, so there's been a few times we smuggle in coffee, scones, etc.

The only time I've been blatant about it was when we went to a restaurant across from the theater, and for some reason they were terrible with service that night, so rather than miss the movie, we took everything to go. I was almost 9 months pregnant with Li'l Z and I strolled into the theater with a personal (though not tiny) pizza box. Luckily, the staff was smart enough not to say a word. :D

My wife is the romantic type when it comes to movies, she always insists on a brief pre-date to the local supermarket so she can sneak in sodas and candy :rolleyes:

fade

Staff member
Man, I prefer a vodka martini over a gin ("true") martini. Not that I'd turn either down. But I do like it dirty. But not super dirty, like when people pour 1/2 oz of olive brine in it.

Man, I prefer a vodka martini over a gin ("true") martini. Not that I'd turn either down. But I do like it dirty. But not super dirty, like when people pour 1/2 oz of olive brine in it.
I'm very particular about what I'll call a martini, but I recognize that it's pedantry at this point. To me, a martini needs both gin and vermouth (and I like mine with a splash of angostura bitters). Without vermouth, it's just a shot of gin. Without gin, it's just--something else.

You can't change every single ingredient and still call it the same thing, no matter what kind of glass you serve it in. If I take a hamburger, and replace the bun with a tortilla and the ground beef with refried beans, and the ketchup with salsa, I have a burrito. It's not a burger, even if you serve it with fries. :D

But considering that the vodka martini was originally called a "kangaroo cocktail," I can see why people would want to call it by a more refined moniker. ;)

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
I'm very particular about what I'll call a martini, but I recognize that it's pedantry at this point. To me, a martini needs both gin and vermouth (and I like mine with a splash of angostura bitters). Without vermouth, it's just a shot of gin. Without gin, it's just--something else.

You can't change every single ingredient and still call it the same thing, no matter what kind of glass you serve it in. If I take a hamburger, and replace the bun with a tortilla and the ground beef with refried beans, and the ketchup with salsa, I have a burrito. It's not a burger, even if you serve it with fries. :D
Well, the martini has such a fuzzy history to begin with, and probably quite a few people associate vodka with a martini nowadays, so I'm okay with it. Normally, I'd be right there with you in pedantry.

Heh, I was about to say, I paid $7.50 for my ticket. Granted, it was an 11:30am matinee.
We don't get matinee prices on 3D movies. If I could have made the earlier 2D showing, it would have been $3.00

I trip out when people here bitch about 3D costing $2 MORE. There were like 20 people in the 3D showing, and I think the 2D showings sold out.

A bit more. I got us IMAX tickets so we could preselect our seats. I wanted to be near an aisle and not need to worry about getting there way in advance. It's worth the extra expense.

GasBandit

Staff member
A bit more. I got us IMAX tickets so we could preselect our seats. I wanted to be near an aisle and not need to worry about getting there way in advance. It's worth the extra expense.
I have to get there way in advance so that I'm the one that picks where my group is sitting. Otherwise my friend will pick, and he likes to sit so far down front that you can't possibly see the whole screen. I like to sit exactly in the center of the theater if I can, but if I have to choose, I prefer to sit farther back than closer up - I like to see the whole screen and am not one of those people who insists that the screen must occupy my entire field of vision.

I miss old theaters. Where you always had lines around the building for big premieres. Because the one screen sat over 1,000 people.

back then picking a seat mattered.

I have to get there way in advance so that I'm the one that picks where my group is sitting. Otherwise my friend will pick, and he likes to sit so far down front that you can't possibly see the whole screen. I like to sit exactly in the center of the theater if I can, but if I have to choose, I prefer to sit farther back than closer up - I like to see the whole screen and am not one of those people who insists that the screen must occupy my entire field of vision.
I remember waiting for ages to get in to a new Harry Potter movie and we got there really early to get good seats. Then as we got started with the previews, the ushers came around and were asking us to move around so a big group could sit together. My sister let him have it! It was beautiful.

I like to pre-pick seats now because I can't stand in line for long anymore.

Dave

Staff member
Trying to download a game to my new phone. Every fucking app has terrible access needs. "This app needs to access your shared files either on the device or in the cloud." Or the one that got me just today, "This device needs access to your Device Indentifier." Yeah, no.

Trying to download a game to my new phone. Every fucking app has terrible access needs. "This app needs to access your shared files either on the device or in the cloud." Or the one that got me just today, "This device needs access to your Device Indentifier." Yeah, no.
Hey, you have it easy. Your great grand children will be seeing prompts like this:

"This app requires access to your DNA. Please pee on the phone to confirm."

And they'll do it, too, because nothing is going to keep them from playing Angriest Birds XXVIV.

Yup; one of those things I hope Marshmallow will slightly improve....More granular access control. Though, frankly, in many cases, I really don't see why they need those accesses and just say fuck'em

No app should EVER "require" access to your device identifier. It should already have some way to get your MEID/IMEI and that should be good enough for whatever the app wants to do.

--Patrick

Hey, you have it easy. Your great grand children will be seeing prompts like this:

"This app requires access to your DNA. Please pee on the phone to confirm."

And they'll do it, too, because nothing is going to keep them from playing R Kelly Simulator.
FTFY

Dave

Staff member
No app should EVER "require" access to your device identifier. It should already have some way to get your MEID/IMEI and that should be good enough for whatever the app wants to do.

--Patrick
And that's why I have no games on my phone. Guess I'll have to surf the web while I poop instead.

GasBandit

Staff member
You'd be surprised how often I have the following conversation:

Them: "Can you pull the audio for last weekend's XYZ program and e-mail it to me?"

Me: "All 3 hours of it?"

Them: "Yes. Why are you looking at me like that?"

:minionevil: