[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

My new boss likes to micromanage and hold a foolish number of meetings then gets screechy with me when she doesn't have enough time to get things done.
Obviously you need to have more meetings in order to discuss and monitor your time management. And daily status reports to make sure things are on track.

Obviously you need to have more meetings in order to discuss and monitor your time management. And daily status reports to make sure things are on track.
Perhaps a consultant is in order to streamline their process and make a report about their time management.

No lie - she has called lengthy briefing meetings and then demands that we send her recaps from it then she has lost all her notes and has phoned me screaming for a fast third debrief all in advance of the actual meeting.

fade

Staff member
I hate the time spent by people attempting to look smart by repeating things over and over or asking questions that were unequivocally answered in the actually useful bit of the meeting.

I hate the time spent by people attempting to look smart by repeating things over and over or asking questions that were unequivocally answered in the actually useful bit of the meeting.

Well, much like calling the meeting itself, it's mostly just about posturing to look proactive.

Yeah that doesn't fly when I chair a meeting. You show up prepared and on time or you will be be buried under an avalanche of your own inadequacies.

Last edited:
Things like this are the reason online classes are a fucking Godsend. Don't have to sit around another 15 minutes while Brownnose McButtsniff asks questions that were answered an hour ago.

My old boss/company liked having daily 10-20 minute standups, plus weekly 20-60 minute one-on-ones, plus monthly 1hr team meetings, plus monthly 1hr department meetings.

New company has a daily text status (i.e. one paragraph max outlining what was done yesterday, what'll be done today, and roadblocks that need moving), plus a 30m one-on-one every other week, plus about 0-1 20-30m team meetings a month to kick off projects, plus a quarterly 30m meeting for company-wide status/goals.

I think I found the precise amount of meetings I can tolerate.

GasBandit

Staff member
So at 6:45 pm the station owner sends a bitchy e-mail because Underling #1 and I didn't do something... that he didn't tell us to do. And it wants it fixed by tomorrow.

GasBandit

Staff member
I love my Kinesis Freestyle keyboard here at work, but there's one glaring design flaw on it... they put the sleep button immediately to the right of the delete button. Two times tonight I accidentally hit it, and unlike windows XP, 7 doesn't ask you "are you sure you want to put the machine to sleep?" nope, it just does it.

Being already grumpy from the reasons outlined in my previous post, I finally just took a pair of pliers and removed the keyboard's resale value. But at least it won't go to sleep any more!

I love my Kinesis Freestyle keyboard here at work, but there's one glaring design flaw on it... they put the sleep button immediately to the right of the delete button. Two times tonight I accidentally hit it, and unlike windows XP, 7 doesn't ask you "are you sure you want to put the machine to sleep?" nope, it just does it.

Being already grumpy from the reasons outlined in my previous post, I finally just took a pair of pliers and removed the keyboard's resale value. But at least it won't go to sleep any more!
I used to have the same issue on an old keyboard, was Google not available at work? :confused:

I personally couldn't imagine anyone wanting to pay for my old keyboards, regardless of how awesome or valuable they were when I bought them.

Inadvertently planed about 1/2"(13mm) off the side of my finger on a sharp edge at work today. Nice clean cut. Still bleeding almost 10hrs later. Wish it would stop so I could go to bed without ruining my sheet/pillow/whatever. No, I don't have any clotting problems, this thing is just so cleanly sliced that it's having trouble closing. No I will not post pictures.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I generally just remove the keycap. That way I don't affect the resale value since I can always slap it back on later.

--Patrick
Tried that too. It has a different mechanical design than other keyboards I have owned, instead of sticking down into the guts, there was yet another piece of hard plastic under the keycap that, when accidentally touched, still caused the sleep button to function. So I ripped it out, too, and then just because my bloodlust was up I ripped the springy soft plastic bit with the contact on it out, too.

Sooooo... yeah.[DOUBLEPOST=1462865548,1462865482][/DOUBLEPOST]
Inadvertently planed about 1/2"(13mm) off the side of my finger on a sharp edge at work today. Nice clean cut. Still bleeding almost 10hrs later. Wish it would stop so I could go to bed without ruining my sheet/pillow/whatever. No, I don't have any clotting problems, this thing is just so cleanly sliced that it's having trouble closing. No I will not post pictures.

--Patrick
Dude! 13mm? That's more like "I cut my finger in half lengthwise today."

Oh wait, you meant the slice is 13mm long, not deep.

Still, ow.

My next door neighbor, an Edmonton cop and complete and total asshole (not related to being a cop, but just what he is), had a fire going in his back yard yesterday despite there being a COMPLETE AND TOTAL FIRE BAN province wide. When I mentioned this to him, he just laughed it off like it didn't apply to him. The guy is such a stupid asshole. Don't get me started on his idiotic territoriality around parking in front of his GIANT CORNER LOT on the street.

Dude! 13mm? That's more like "I cut my finger in half lengthwise today."

Oh wait, you meant the slice is 13mm long, not deep.

Still, ow.
It has also cut into my gaming.
I didn't slice it, I planed it. If I'd sliced it, I would've just glued the slice shut, but I couldn't because anything I could've packed back into the breach had been gouged right off. It's like I had deliberately run my finger the entire length of a cheese grater.
The annoying part was having to complete my remaining hour and a half at work, changing out paper towels wrapped around my finger and holding my hand on top of my head. "Why are you holding your hand on your head?" my client would ask. "Oh, I'm just waiting for the bleeding to stop," I would reply. And then they'd look at me funny even more funnily.

--Patrick

Liquid bandage oughtta help, for future reference. Superglue also works, but doesn't have the antibiotic component.
Didn't have any liquid bandage, and no flap to superglue. I mean I filleted that thing. I would say that I would pick up some LB, but this isn't the sort of thing I really expect to have to handle on a regular basis if I can help it.

--Patrick

Didn't have any liquid bandage, and no flap to superglue. I mean I filleted that thing. I would say that I would pick up some LB, but this isn't the sort of thing I really expect to have to handle on a regular basis if I can help it.

--Patrick
After I posted, I saw your update, and should have realized that you'd have been handy enough to know to superglue it... Maybe some straight rubbing alcohol to help encourage the blood vessels to constrict? That, plus pressure? I mean, I know you're already doing that, but toss in the ethyl and it might be enough to seal it up?

Planned on seeing Civil War with my wife Saturday. That didn't work out. Oh, and the entire left half of my body fell asleep round noon on Saturday and has yet to stop with the pins and needles.

Amazingly, these two things are not related.

My next door neighbor, an Edmonton cop and complete and total asshole (not related to being a cop, but just what he is), had a fire going in his back yard yesterday despite there being a COMPLETE AND TOTAL FIRE BAN province wide. When I mentioned this to him, he just laughed it off like it didn't apply to him. The guy is such a stupid asshole. Don't get me started on his idiotic territoriality around parking in front of his GIANT CORNER LOT on the street.
He's the dude pointing the light into your bedroom window, right? I think he's sailed right past the "be polite" stage and into the "call the fire department and report open flame" first.

He's the dude pointing the light into your bedroom window, right? I think he's sailed right past the "be polite" stage and into the "call the fire department and report open flame" first.
I'm pretty sure he's complained about the guy being a douche to his friends about the parking thing too. Whoever he is, I agree; report his ass... unless you think he's going to go all Lakeview Terrace on you or something.