[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Well that explains it. I haven't seen any of those other movies, and the only reason I saw Vinny was because we went to see Disney's Beauty and the Beast and as we exited we each got handed a pass for an audience prescreening of Vinny a couple of days later. This was great because I probably would not have seen it otherwise, and it really is an enjoyable comedy.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
So I haven't been around very much. Why, you ask? Because Wednesday my mother fell and was very, very confused. Like calling around town to find out when my dad was coming home confused. Probably would have confused her more to find out he was on the mantle the entire time, but that's another story. So she probably - we thought - had another stroke. Into the hospital she goes. Doctors rule out an actual stroke but narrow it all down to either a TIA (transient ischemic attack), which is a "mini-stroke" that happens when a vessel in the brain gets pinched off, or oxygen cutoff from the brain since her heart rate was fluctuating somewhere from 67 BPM to 30 BPM. She's on medicine to slow her heart down but damn! So they took her off the heart medication...no change. So next Tuesday she goes for a consult and probably as soon as Wednesday will have to get a pacemaker.

Well, in all of that the doctors have finally come out & said she couldn't live alone any longer, no matter what. So today we moved her into an assisted living facility and got her as set up as possible. Now we only have to sell a house and lifetime of possessions to pay for said facility.

And did I mention that I have a new dog? And by new I mean 12+ years old and growing tumors on his body. So I have to take him to the vet and see if he's good to go or if it's "Hey, mom, thanks for letting me take your dog! Oh, and I have to have him put down!"

But now I'm home and very, very tired.

Dave

Staff member
It's minor because we've been needing her to move into assisted living for some time now, but she was putting up a fight and my sister didn't want to do it by force. We knew that something was going to have to happen to make the wheels start turning and it finally did. Thankfully, it was about the smallest thing she could have had happen to her. No permanent damage from the fall, the TIA mini-stroke isn't permanent, and with a pacemaker she'll be off three types of medications. So the rant is minor because this could have been much worse and really the only bad things that happened were that I was exhausted from dealing with it all and that I have a cancer-ridden dog now. :)

I always feel almost any rant about health and death of close family tends more towards major rant than minor rant. The lines are blurry, of course, but there's whine - minor rant -big rant. If "my mother has now deteriorated so far that she can no longer live alone" is a "minor" issue, I suppose I have to put "I got dumped" in whine - but then where does that leave "I had a crappy day at work"?! And how often will the big rant thread get updated? When a meteorite destroys your house and all its inhabitants? :p

You're obviously free to put what you want where you want, and, especially with the perspective I quite understand putting it here, but still. "I'm going to have to put down my dog, my mother had a stroke and is facing heart surgery" is not generally a "minor" thing.

I always feel almost any rant about health and death of close family tends more towards major rant than minor rant. The lines are blurry, of course, but there's whine - minor rant -big rant. If "my mother has now deteriorated so far that she can no longer live alone" is a "minor" issue, I suppose I have to put "I got dumped" in whine - but then where does that leave "I had a crappy day at work"?! And how often will the big rant thread get updated? When a meteorite destroys your house and all its inhabitants? :p

You're obviously free to put what you want where you want, and, especially with the perspective I quite understand putting it here, but still. "I'm going to have to put down my dog, my mother had a stroke and is facing heart surgery" is not generally a "minor" thing.

--Patrick

Yes, I do have plenty of time on this shift to get that stuff cleaned and/or put away. The problem is it's not my job. These are tasks that should have been completed by the people they were originally assigned to hours ago. I'm making up for things done incorrectly or not at all.

Not to mention having to look over the shoulder of another department that has lost so much credibility, I have to check the work of someone who is technically over me.

Well if that's the sort of mess she leaves, no wonder you don't want pets. You'd be so busy cleaning up you'd never have time to write, or homebrew, or whatever other thing you wind up being annoyingly good at.

Well if that's the sort of mess she leaves, no wonder you don't want pets. You'd be so busy cleaning up you'd never have time to write, or homebrew, or whatever other thing you wind up being annoyingly good at.
Trust me, there are plenty of things I'm not good at. It's just that anything I decide I want to take up as a hobby, I get super ocd hyper-focused on it. 90% perspiration and all that. But there are still lots of things I'd love to be able to do well that I just lack any sort of talent at.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hah, any time I try to stitch a seam or do any kind of clothing repair, I end up looking like I'm wearing a cheap costume from a play. Now I just take it to a local alterations guy and throw money at him.

I refuse to repair things for people because I'm convinced I will fuck them up. I will make clothes for people though, as long as it's a surprise gift and they aren't expecting it. [emoji14]

Honestly, the issue is more that I see every tiny imperfection in what I make, and no one else even notices. [emoji14]

Got a nice deal for customized pillowcases via Groupon. Order came today; packing slip specifically says "Qty 2" - only one pillowcase was in the package.

Cajungal

Staff member
"My son can't do his online math facts homework because his sister won't let him use the computer or the iPad so I'll just buy him his own iPad. You know how teenagers are always glued to electronics."

...I'm sorry. Aren't you the adult?

GasBandit

Staff member
I was missing audio for a number of commercials that start tomorrow for the county fair, so I text the sales rep about it.
She turns in a production order that has the wrong copy on it. Of course, *I* don't know it's the wrong script, I just process whatever they turn in, so I process it and pass it on to be produced.

Wookiee is the guy doing the actual production, he notices that the script is the wrong script, brings it up to me.

The salesperson is confused, she has absolutely no idea what is going on, she's just pushing papers around until everybody leaves her alone. Meanwhile the GM has pushed through his OWN contract for the fair and put the sales rep's name on it, which confuses her further.

The GM then receives an e-mail full of google drive share links which he can't figure out how to open (if I had to bet, it's because he's trying to do it on his iphone like a flailing idiot instead of at his PC like a human being), so he forwards the e-mail to me titled "can you open these, if so I need you to send them back to me."

Naturally I have no problem downloading the links from the shared google drive, and I e-mail the downloaded commercials back to the GM. The GM then forwards the original e-mail (full of google share links) to the salesperson. Why he didn't send her the files, I have no idea.

The sales person however has no problem downloading the spots for herself, listens to them, figures out which ones we need to run...

and then forwards me five separate e-mails, each one containing no attachments, just individual google drive share links, that her e-mail client's formatting has now BROKEN so clicking them doesn't work, then turns in another production order to me. At 5 pm. To start tomorrow. With very little other information on it, basically a paperwork way of saying "you please figure this out for me."

And you know what? It almost didn't occur to me how laughably bullshittingly amateur and incompetent the entire chain of events is because IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AROUND HERE.