[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Well, 2/3s of my husband's department just got laid off, so apparently he's going to be expected to do the work of all those people at the same pay rate. He's currently having an anxiety attack about it on the driveway. Minor because hey, he didn't get laid off, though he kind of wishes he had been at this point because the severance package is pretty good. [emoji14]

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, 2/3s of my husband's department just got laid off, so apparently he's going to be expected to do the work of all those people at the same pay rate. He's currently having an anxiety attack about it on the driveway. Minor because hey, he didn't get laid off, though he kind of wishes he had been at this point because the severance package is pretty good. [emoji14]
Ha, tell him to demand a raise. :rofl:

I told him to demand a raise and see what they say, because the worst that can happen is that he has to find a new job. [emoji14]

Those kind of promotions suck, but it seems like they are the most common.

On a personal note, networking is a four letter buzzword. Every meeting/conference thing I have to attend have these forced networking sessions. Ugh. Forced socialization is no bueno.

Last edited:
Work is killing me. My parents and brother are a fucking mess. I always have 14 things to do, and time for 3 of them. And I'm feeling strangely distant from my family at home. I don't know why, but this week all I want to do is be alone and sleep.

Work is killing me. My parents and brother are a fucking mess. I always have 14 things to do, and time for 3 of them. And I'm feeling strangely distant from my family at home. I don't know why, but this week all I want to do is be alone and sleep.
This was me last week. People are constantly around me and the only time I have to myself is when I'm driving to and from work or to and from lunch.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wookiee upgraded his computer to windows 10 without asking/telling me. I only found out when suddenly he can't connect to any of our servers now.

I explained to him in no uncertain terms he is never ever ever ever ever authorized to do an operating system install on ANY machine connected to my network. That I have worked at places where he'd be fired instantly.

Wookiee upgraded his computer to windows 10 without asking/telling me. I only found out when suddenly he can't connect to any of our servers now.

I explained to him in no uncertain terms he is never ever ever ever ever authorized to do an operating system install on ANY machine connected to my network. That I have worked at places where he'd be fired instantly.
Does your router provide you with the tools to shape traffic? Because if so, reducing the bandwidth available to a local IP address should be rather trivial...

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Does your router provide you with the tools to shape traffic? Because if so, reducing the bandwidth available to a local IP address should be rather trivial...

--Patrick
Yeah, but that'd just make more work for me, or at least make me have to listen to him bellyache.

Our school district lends all kids middle school and up iPads. They sent out a mass email saying "The next OS is coming out, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL IT UNTIL WE KNOW IT PLAYS NICE WITH OUR EDUCATION APPS"

I am already imagining the hilarity that is about to ensue.

Our school district lends all kids middle school and up iPads. They sent out a mass email saying "The next OS is coming out, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL IT UNTIL WE KNOW IT PLAYS NICE WITH OUR EDUCATION APPS"

I am already imagining the hilarity that is about to ensue.
People with PhDs at my college couldn't manage to NOT install Yosemite after being repeatedly asked through e-mail not to. Something tells me teens won't be much better at the task.

I've said this before on here, but my folks can not help but to click on links that say CLICK HERE! Next time, I am going to tell them to buy a new machine.

Yeah, but that'd just make more work for me, or at least make me have to listen to him bellyache.
It might make it more obvious that his computer is downloading a big fat upgrade, though.
Also don't forget to sign them all into the school's iCloud account so that a student can't permanently lock the school out of the iPad when it's time to return it by signing it into his account.
People with PhDs at my college couldn't manage to NOT install Yosemite after being repeatedly asked through e-mail not to. Something tells me teens won't be much better at the task.
Hah! Just wait until next week.
ocaptainmycaptain.jpg

--Patrick

Good God.

What is wrong with everyone you work with?

I now remember why I don't like moving - just moved our furniture today from our old place to our new place... I hurt almost everywhere. First move in three and a half years.

I now remember why I don't like moving - just moved our furniture today from our old place to our new place... I hurt almost everywhere. First move in three and a half years.
We're gonna move Cranky from AL to MI in a couple of weeks. I'm seriously trying to fit in actual training before we go (and failing miserably).

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
When copyright trolls attack. Two of my Left 4 Dead 2 playthrough videos have been flagged for copyright by "Danmark Music Group," whoever they are, because one of their artists, in flagrant violation of copyright law itself (and it's russian, so no big surprise there) uses the L4D2 tank music, in its unaltered entirety, as the intro to one of their shitty nu-metal songs.

"[IH8P]-Чёрное Солнце Зрачков"

But youtube's automated copyright enforcement always assumes claimants are correct until proven otherwise, and they take their sweet time reviewing disputes from their content creators, so the trolls get to siphon off ad revenue from anyone who ever fought a Tank in a video until someone at Google gets their head out of their ass long enough to give a shit about what's going on - which they have no real motivation for doing, because what are we going to do, take our established video channels with tenuous connection to subscribers over to Vimeo or something?

doomdragon6

Staff member
I went to bed at midnight and woke up at 2:30am, and I'm sitting here at 8:40am still pretty awake. So I need to either go to sleep now and wake up at like 3pm, stay awake for a bit and then inevitably get tired at noon, at which point I'd sleep 'til about 5, or I can try to stay awake all day, which, haha, isn't gonna happen.

I think I'm gonna try the "sleep now" option.

Good talk everybody.

When copyright trolls attack. Two of my Left 4 Dead 2 playthrough videos have been flagged for copyright by "Danmark Music Group," whoever they are, because one of their artists, in flagrant violation of copyright law itself (and it's russian, so no big surprise there) uses the L4D2 tank music, in its unaltered entirety, as the intro to one of their shitty nu-metal songs.

"[IH8P]-Чёрное Солнце Зрачков"

But youtube's automated copyright enforcement always assumes claimants are correct until proven otherwise, and they take their sweet time reviewing disputes from their content creators, so the trolls get to siphon off ad revenue from anyone who ever fought a Tank in a video until someone at Google gets their head out of their ass long enough to give a shit about what's going on - which they have no real motivation for doing, because what are we going to do, take our established video channels with tenuous connection to subscribers over to Vimeo or something?
Well at least things are heading in the right direction.
The judges ruled today that copyright holders "must consider the existence of fair use before sending a takedown notification. [...] Otherwise, [they] could be liable for "nominal" damages"
--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
If I found a genie in a lamp, one of my wishes would be that everybody who is employed by any "music group" corporation in a middle management or higher capacity get a burning hot poker in the anus for every DMCA takedown notice they issued on an internet video.

Cajungal

Staff member
What's that? Today's meeting isn't a normal faculty meeting? We'll be listening to a chiropractor talk about toxins instead? Cool, it's not as if I have work to do.

The best part? He talked about how we treat symptoms of stress without getting to the root of the problem. That might be true, but right now the fucking root is that my precious time is being wasted with functions like this.

Transcript of my side of the phone call I just had with a local who wants to come and use one of our computers: "Yes, local residents can use our computers, but the guest account can not print. Students can print, not public users. Because students pay a technology fee that covers the costs. You'll have to take that up with the administration, they made that policy choice in 2012. Right. So you won't be able to print. No, not even if you pay. The guest account for public users doesn't have printer privileges. No, that's the public library. No, we're not part of their network, we're the college library. At the college, yes." (how do I get there) "Well, turn off 57, pass the Vo-Tech, pass the Fire Academy, come down the driveway to the cul-de-sac. There's a large parking lot across from the college. No, you go past the first lot, that's the Vo-Tech. You go past the Vo-Tech. Past the first lot, yes. No, you go past it. No don't turn into the first lot, that's the Vo-Tech, not the college. It's not the college. No, it's not. We're not there. We're at the college. Go past the first lot. Past it. Then past the Fire Academy. No, the parking lot is not right off 57, you have to up the driveway past the Vo-Tech, past the turn for the Fire Academy, and down to the big brick building where it dead-ends. That's the college. No, the library is not the second building. No, you can't see the library from 57. Because we're inside the main building of the college. Inside it. You have to enter the building first. No, you park in the lot across the street. No, not the first lot from 57, that's the Vo-Tech. What do you mean why is the college not the vo-tech? Because they are two different things, that's why. No, you go past that. Yes, by the 6 foot high brick wall that says WCCC on it. No, go past the first lot. Alright. Good luck."

What's that? Today's meeting isn't a normal faculty meeting? We'll be listening to a chiropractor talk about toxins instead? Cool, it's not as if I have work to do.

The best part? He talked about how we treat symptoms of stress without getting to the root of the problem. That might be true, but right now the fucking root is that my precious time is being wasted with functions like this.
He has to drum up business somehow! What better way then to cause stress by taking up precious time talking about stress.