[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
Business owner sends e-mail to general manager, traffic director, and me. It's something that falls within my purview.

Traffic director hits "reply all" and says "Forwarded to (GasBandit) on (date) @ (time)

EVERY TIME. EVERY E-MAIL.

HOW HAVE YOU NOT NOTICED ON ANY OF THESE E-MAILS I AM IN THE LIST OF RECIPIENTS

not even the CC list, the TO: list.

Are you hoping that if you shove me forward enough times, one of these times there will be a bus there to run me over?

Working the St. Pat's festival down here, there were a LOT of people taking selfies around the area where I was standing, watching the crowd.

So, naturally, I photobombed several. 100% of folks got a big laugh out of the large cop photobombing, and a good time was had by all.

Except the one where I stepped down from the stand I was on, put my foot down on what I thought was solid ground. It was a cup. That rolled. Much like my ankle.

The better part of a week later, the son of a bitch still hurts. Whine, moan, bitch, complain, pop Motrin like skittles.

fade

Staff member
This is a total nerd rant, but I wish people in the programming world would stop acting like getters and setters are unnecessary. Maybe in the projects you've worked on, buddy, but in some places they're unavoidable. That premise breaks down, for example, in scientific or numerical programming. It makes perfect sense to represent, say, a sparse matrix with an object, but if you can't get at the entries, then there's no point. It makes sense to let the matrix handle its own operations like transposing and row swapping, but I still need the entries to actually, you know, do stuff with it. People on Stack Overflow sure seem to love to gang up on something.

So apparently weeks ago the IT department scheduled this weekend to replace / repair / upgrade / whatever our servers. Fine. They announced that the network would be out Friday night after 6pm. Also fine. However, the IT staff understood that the campus would be closed this weekend, and in fact the Dean of Campus Operations told them that was the case.

That is not the case.

NEXT weekend is the weekend we are closed. So when I came in yesterday to open the library, the tutoring center was already open, and they told me, "Oh, the network's still down, it won't be back up until Monday." An hour later, on my way to the restroom, I see the head of IT, Joel. Joel says, "What are you doing here?" "Running the library, we're open until 1." "No, you guys are closed this weekend." "No, we're closed NEXT weekend." "Seriously? We scheduled this in advance..."

Anyway, basically the administrators knew that, since it's Spring Break, there aren't any classes, and we wouldn't have a working network this weekend. They did not SHARE this information with the faculty or staff, however, since some professors started calling the library and asking why they couldn't access the network; their students have assignments due this weekend. They also didn't see a problem with us being open despite not having access to like 90% of what our job entails.

End result? 15 phone calls, and a grand total of 2 students came in over the course of the day. 1 left as soon as I told her the network was down.

Dave

Staff member
Did a gig last night in Algona, Iowa and it could hardly have gone worse. It started late and while they did their awards and stuff they closed the bar, opening it again right when we were supposed to begin. And we learned why quickly. These people could hardly have cared less that we were there. No reaction from the crowd to anything we tried. It was like performing for the giant heads of Easter Island. To top it off, we asked for the crowd to name an object and a guy yelled, "I'll do better than that!" and then he threw something at us from across the room. It was a steak knife. I couldn't tell what it was until it got really close and then I swatted it out of the air so it didn't hurt anyone. But that was pretty much the whole night. I also got called a "faggot" on stage because we did some gay humor. It was painful.

So why minor rant? Because we got paid $1000. The funniest part is that there was a huge anti-abortion sign right outside the hall. My thought was, if you're so against abortion, you should have never tried to have comedy at your event.

fade

Staff member
If Naruto has taught me anything, "ninja" means you'll talk the audience into laughing with the power of heart.

Argh! I saw a video of a chemist demonstrating how 1+1 does not equal two by combining two clear liquids each with a volume of 100ml together and showing that their combined volume was not 200ml due to molecular spacing.

And now I can't remember where I saw it.

Argh! I saw a video of a chemist demonstrating how 1+1 does not equal two by combining two clear liquids each with a volume of 100ml together and showing that their combined volume was not 200ml due to molecular spacing.

And now I can't remember where I saw it.
Yeah, but 100 ml of water = 100 grams of water and 100 grams + 100 grams = 200 grams of water. They may be different volume-wise, but their mass remains the same.

To be fair, that doesn't sound like much of value was lost.
You're right - as far as I'm concerned it isn't that big of a deal. Though the circumstances are stupid, IMO. My biggest issue is that our sons are best friends and this is affecting their friendship. I get the brush off whenever I try to make plans for them to hang out together. I laugh to myself that I must have cooties, but it's really hurting him that he can't spend time with his bff outside of school. That aggravates me.

You're right - as far as I'm concerned it isn't that big of a deal. Though the circumstances are stupid, IMO. My biggest issue is that our sons are best friends and this is affecting their friendship. I get the brush off whenever I try to make plans for them to hang out together. I laugh to myself that I must have cooties, but it's really hurting him that he can't spend time with his bff outside of school. That aggravates me.
Your son's friend's name isn't Kyle by any chance, is it?

Dave

Staff member
So I'm currently sitting at the mechanic's. This isn't the rant. The rant is that before I came up here I checked my account and found out that there was a fraudulent charge. $25 for "inmate" something. Apparently, it's for people in jail to be able to make collect calls. I know nobody in jail, though, so I cancelled my card. I had to run and get my wife's card to pay the mechanic. He said that it may be more than what I *know* it is, though. So I'll have to fight that hard sell battle soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave

Staff member
May have to move mine to real rant. It's about what I thought. The mechanic said the bearings are going and that we needed to fix them before he'd align anything, not withstanding the fact that correct alignment would help keep the bearings for a bit longer. Can't afford the amount he said right now. I talked to MY mechanic about the bearings and he said that the guy was over by about $200. So now I need to get the bearings done and then take it back for the $70 alignment. All while trying to save up for Zach coming home in May.

I guess I get to drive on a wing and a prayer for a little while. Fucking cars.

GasBandit

Staff member
Someone at work is lying to me, and I don't know who. I've gotten two very different stories on the same situation from two people, and I can't tell which of them is telling the truth. This is bad because the situation will have a large role in determining my workload in the next year or more. Very discomfiting. If I act on information that turns out to be false, it could end up really turning things hellish for me for quite a while.