[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

What the hell Marvel? I thought you were doing better than DC right now, but then you go and let this shit happen? I realize that heroes are boring if they're too perfect, but you shouldn't have an amazingly heroic character like Sam Wilson (Falcon) committing a heinous crime.

In the most recent issue of Captain America, Sam gets drunk and has sex with a 14 year old. A character who has taken up the mantle of Captain America (when Steve Rogers was believed dead), and did the title proud, is now a rapist. Ick.

What the hell Marvel? I thought you were doing better than DC right now, but then you go and let this shit happen? I realize that heroes are boring if they're too perfect, but you shouldn't have an amazingly heroic character like Sam Wilson (Falcon) committing a heinous crime.

In the most recent issue of Captain America, Sam gets drunk and has sex with a 14 year old. A character who has taken up the mantle of Captain America (when Steve Rogers was believed dead), and did the title proud, is now a rapist. Ick.
One of the rebloggers posted the actual relevant pages, the one you quoted seems to be way off.

So she says she's older than 23 (and looks it), and Sam's the one that wakes up with the hangover and with a poor memory of what happened.

One of the rebloggers posted the actual relevant pages, the one you quoted seems to be way off.

So she says she's older than 23 (and looks it), and Sam's the one that wakes up with the hangover and with a poor memory of what happened.

I'm sorry, I want outrage. Bring me something outrageous.

But not truly, truly, truly outrageous.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's the last day before a 3 day weekend and everybody's busting ass to get everything finished up for the weekend.

So naturally the main production and file server chose last night to have its motherboard die. /headdesk /headdesk /headdesk.

Thankfully I managed to pull the drive and share the critically needed shares from another machine which I renamed to be the same as the dead server, so now we're back in business. And I'm only an hour or so behind schedule now! Woooo.

the main production and file server chose last night to have its motherboard die. /headdesk /headdesk /headdesk.
I estimate perhaps 15-20% of the traffic I get is from people who have something important that's due tomorrow before their computer suddenly stopped working. I further estimate that 50% or more of them were "…just about to make a backup when this happened."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Also I went to pay my credit card bill today, and saw that the steam sale hit me for 80 bucks this time around, for 10 games. I didn't think I'd bought that much, but WELP. heh.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah, what Jet Black/Zola says about herself in that panel is radically different from how the character has been represented in comics up until now. This post, and this post, show that she was portrayed as a teenager right up until the issue in question.

At best, this is just really horrible writing that's paying no attention to continuity (and that's saying something for a character who was a teenage girl whose superpower required her to expose as much skin as possible); at worse it's a deliberate retcon with really disturbing implications.

GasBandit

Staff member
On the one hand, it's pretty bad writing to retcon someone 9+ years older, especially just to render her suddenly sexable, regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

On the other hand, how many people call GRR Martin a pedophile since Daenerys Targaryen was 14 when Khal Drogo started putting the spurs to her? Yes, it's an alternate fantasy land with alternate fantasy morals, but it's still an author in our world depicting a grown man having sex (and sex that doesn't quite pass the consent "smell test" at that) with a 14 year old. Just something to think about.

I accidentally stepped in dog shit on the way to work today and didn't notice until I got to the office. Now I smell like I crapped myself. I'm not going to be very popular around the office today.

I accidentally stepped in dog shit on the way to work today and didn't notice until I got to the office. Now I smell like I crapped myself. I'm not going to be very popular around the office today.
If anyone gets rude and asks you if you crapped yourself, just stare at them and say "yes." Then keep staring and hopefully they will ask you to go clean up... then say "I am not finished yet..."

fade

Staff member
I'm sorry, I want outrage. Bring me something outrageous.

But not truly, truly, truly outrageous.
image.jpg

Awwwwwwwww[DOUBLEPOST=1404495069,1404494989][/DOUBLEPOST](Ah Jem, the cartoon no one actually watched in the 80s yet everyone makes fun of it.)

View attachment 15256
Awwwwwwwww[DOUBLEPOST=1404495069,1404494989][/DOUBLEPOST](Ah Jem, the cartoon no one actually watched in the 80s yet everyone makes fun of it.)
Shhhhh! Don't mention Jem and the Holograms! Not where my wife can here! Lord please don't let her see this thread, I don't think Halforums could survive her going sayan-nerd on us.

AND DON'T BRING UP THE UPCOMING LIVE ACTION MOVIE!!!!!!

Shhhhh! Don't mention Jem and the Holograms! Not where my wife can here! Lord please don't let her see this thread, I don't think Halforums could survive her going sayan-nerd on us.

AND DON'T BRING UP THE UPCOMING LIVE ACTION MOVIE!!!!!!
squee.gif

Oops, too late.

--Patrick

Yeah, I watched Jem! And had the doll, too! And then I watched it again when my male roommate bought the dvd boxed set of the show.
...nothing about that last sentence wasn't weird, then or now.

Ugh. 4chan is 'raiding' tumblr.

I was not aware until I went into my fav tags.

I have seen shit and I wish I had not.
I'm sorry you weren't warned.

I wish people on Tumblr were only warning people or notifying Tumblr; instead there's this mass retaliatory panic going on, which has the 4channers feeling validated and deciding to up the ante. All this does is encourage 4chan to do more, which they are. If they had been ignored, they would've moved onto another target. Not to mention, my dashboard is cluttered with more anti-4chan stuff than any real content. They're tricking people on Tumblr into spamming their own website. :facepalm:

I haven't seen anything. Then again, I don't search tags, just a couple friends I follow.
I searched a couple of the targeted tags and didn't see anything. The people I follow are talking about steps to take, and even saying Tumblr users should launch a counterattack on /b and spam them with social justice and stuff. They have NO IDEA what they're fucking getting into if they want to have a pissing contest with 4chan.

I searched a couple of the targeted tags and didn't see anything. The people I follow are talking about steps to take, and even saying Tumblr users should launch a counterattack on /b and spam them with social justice and stuff. They have NO IDEA what they're fucking getting into if they want to have a pissing contest with 4chan.
Man, the Tumblr community is usually so smart about not getting caught up in that crap. I guess there has to be a few people who aren't bright enough to let it roll off their shoulders and just move on already.

Is this tumblr something I need to know about?

MR: Arthur has knocked power out for the second time today, I expect many more such outages.

In oticed the tag posts after. I agree with warning people to avoid the tags because, well, there was some foul shit in the fandom tags today.

I don't agree with giving them more attention than "hey, they are here, they are being douchnozzles, best avoid this for a few days."

Man, the Tumblr community is usually so smart about not getting caught up in that crap. I guess there has to be a few people who aren't bright enough to let it roll off their shoulders and just move on already.
NOTHING rolls off your average tumblr user's shoulders.

Ok, this is the first post I've seen reblogged about it on Tumblr.

triplewipe45 said:
I noticed some people in regards to this raid seem to think 4chan is some sort of internet cult or don’t really know what kind of a site it is, so I thought I’d clear some misconceptions about the raid up.
-Only /b/ and /pol/ are involved, if you’re really going to go on 4chan and try to get “revenge” (not recommended) don’t be a dingus and go into one of the other unrelated boards, of which there are many, most of them centered around completely benign shit like papercraft and toys (I frequent the 3d forum there myself). 4chan is a forum, not a collective. Keep that in mind.
-/pol/ (the political board that is actually fairly new in contrast to /b/, which was there from the beginning) started the takedown4chan blog in the first place in order to fool people. The supplied IP was that of tumblr, not 4chan’s IP (and was meant to fool people on tumblr into DDOS’ing their own site), but their ruse obviously failed because no one cared enough to attempt DDOS’ing 4chan.
-Seriously don’t bother going on to the threads to incite reactions or argue. Don’t try to counteract the raid with selfies. Honestly, the best thing to do here is leave the tags alone for a while because they are collecting urls, personal information, photos, screencaps etc on the threads and while they’re probably too lazy to do much with it, I personally wouldn’t underestimate the boredom and free time that summer /b/ has.
Pretty tame and reasonable if you ask me.

Yeah, none of those blogs I've even heard of. And they take down Tumblr for a day and then what?

And damn, waiting for the day after my birthday, that's just icing on the cake.

Yeah, none of those blogs I've even heard of. And they take down Tumblr for a day and then what?

And damn, waiting for the day after my birthday, that's just icing on the cake.
If you're only following people you already knew, you're not going to be viewing a lot of the general Tumblr stuff.

The point is for them to get their lols. That's all they care about; obviously they can't take down Tumblr permanently like they talk about. Which is why people should've just ignored them, because if there was no outrage, they wouldn't have been amused. But general Tumblr people get outraged at the tiniest non-attacks, so of course they'll get a-raging when someone actually attacks them.

I guess overall I don't get it. Like any of it. But whatever, so long things get back to normal when the b-tards get bored, I'm not really worried about it.