[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Dear lord. My General Manager just brought me a laptop to "fix."

It's running vista.
On 1 gig of ram.
I worked at Best Buy when the once popular Packard Bell computers were getting to be about 10 years old. We would get so many customers wanting us to update their PB/386 to the latest technology... P4 512 ram...
We would just point out a hammer we kept with "Tool for Packard Bell" written down the handle.

GasBandit

Staff member
I worked at Best Buy when the once popular Packard Bell computers were getting to be about 10 years old. We would get so many customers wanting us to update their PB/386 to the latest technology... P4 512 ram...
We would just point out a hammer we kept with "Tool for Packard Bell" written down the handle.
Hah, I worked at Best Buy in high school back around '95. I steered SO many people away from the Packard Bells, everybody I could. "Look, I could sell you that Packard Bell, but I'd bet one of my paychecks up against one of yours that you'll be bringing it back within 2 weeks. Now let me show you this Hewlett Packard. No, it's not the same. And no, you don't want that Acer either. And stay away from anything that says 'Cyrix' on it."

I can never remember my Steam password because I don't need it for my PC, but I want to be able to check sales with my Steam app without resetting the password. /sad

GasBandit

Staff member
I really miss when Gabe's teeth were straight, instead of the glipsed edges of a half-melted giant spork welded to his soft palate.

vs
gabe spork teeth.JPG

I just scared the crap out of myself thinking my e-mail had been stolen. First time it said my password was incorrect I didn't worry to much, I type it in incorrectly about 10% of the time on the first try. It was when it came back as incorrect the second time, when I was typing it slower, that I started to panic. The 3rd time I typed it in super slow and deliberate and yay it worked. No thieving hackers, just my own clumsy fingers playing tricks on me. And now this feeling of dread and paranoia is going to linger all evening.

There are not enough facepalm GIF's on the internet to indicate the level of facepalm of this... action... by Facebook.

figmentPez

Staff member
There are not enough facepalm GIF's on the internet to indicate the level of facepalm of this... action... by Facebook.
Someone needs to sue Facebook to find out who they did this experiment on, and see if anyone suffered harm from this. Seriously, cutting out all positive news from someone's social contact? I seriously hope that no one was driven to depression, or even suicide, because of this fuckery.

I'm glad I don't live and die by Facebook. I ignore a lot of what happens on FB if it isn't by someone I've put a star by (which it notifies me of when they post something).

Facebook is a terrible site for anything other than keeping in touch with people you'd otherwise forget to contact.

Cajungal

Staff member
I love keeping up with friends and family. I'm annoyed that u also have to put up with all these new, non-person profiles based on a political party or some pseudo - spiritual ideal. Luckily they're easy to block... but those damn things are like the hydra.

Saw that, fortunately didn't affect me.
Really need to get my DHCP sorted out in this household, though. Stupid ISP-provided router won't let me set the settings I need to set to set myself up properly from the WAN side. Grr...

--Patrick

Thanks World Cup, at 5pm local I turn on the TV in our emergency command center, and killed the circuit breaker controlling two network printers, fax, and oh... OUR ENTIRE WIRING CLOSET!!!

So because of the World Cup I fucked up and shut down the connection to all of our servers just after closing time.

We've had to resort to almost hourly messages to remind people to stop streaming the games since it crushes our network.
Announcement: "Ok it's getting slow again, turn it off before we have to come around and find you."

--Patrick

We've had to resort to almost hourly messages to remind people to stop streaming the games since it crushes our network.
Announcement: "Ok it's getting slow again, turn it off before we have to come around and find you."

--Patrick
"I don't know who you are, I don't know which match you're watching. If you're looking for England I can tell you they didn't make it out of their group. But what I can tell you is that you can watch the highlights on TV later. Highlights that have been compiled from all the games today. Highlights that will be very exciting to people like you. If you turn off the stream now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will throttle your bandwidth."

--Patrick
Since everyone and their dog were streaming the match (not yesterday - 10 pm most people aren't at work anymore :p) at work anyway, we just had the streams at our place set to the big screens that normal lshow corporate facts and crap. Most people could see, so less separate streams :p

figmentPez

Staff member
What the hell Marvel? I thought you were doing better than DC right now, but then you go and let this shit happen? I realize that heroes are boring if they're too perfect, but you shouldn't have an amazingly heroic character like Sam Wilson (Falcon) committing a heinous crime.

In the most recent issue of Captain America, Sam gets drunk and has sex with a 14 year old. A character who has taken up the mantle of Captain America (when Steve Rogers was believed dead), and did the title proud, is now a rapist. Ick.