[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

doomdragon6

Staff member
Minor Rant:

Started chatting with a new girl and she's pretty awesome. Managed to set up going to coffee and a campus movie screening with her, but then it snowed and the state shut down, which cancelled everything ever for 3 days, including the screening. It'll be rescheduled, but now I have to rely on being interesting in Facebook chat for like another week. I was hoping to get to hang out with her, have some fun, and then invite her to a movie or something. We haven't hung out enough to warrant inviting her anywhere yet, and I'm turning into "oh god wat talk about" on Facebook.

Dumb ol' snow. Ruining mah timing!

We haven't hung out enough to warrant inviting her anywhere yet, and I'm turning into "oh god wat talk about" on Facebook.
Do it anyway. It sounds like you already have your foot in the door and she is already willing to meet you somewhere. Take a shot at asking her to dinner or something. You won't scare her off, and the worst she could say is no.

Right there with 'ya.
We should form a club.
Can I join? I take an SSRI, just not solely for depression.
This could work.

Also, I want to start an online dating site for people with depression, and call it the Misery Loves, Co.[DOUBLEPOST=1391094921,1391094850][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do it anyway. It sounds like you already have your foot in the door and she is already willing to meet you somewhere. Take a shot at asking her to dinner or something. You won't scare her off, and the worst she could say is no. transform into a hellmonster and devour the earth.
Fixed that for you my entertainment.

That sounds uncomfortable. Glad you got it out of the way.
If you're glad when others are better, then you're doing this mopey people thing wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1391101915,1391101863][/DOUBLEPOST]
I kinda want this to be a real thing. I mean, the name is clever, and really, why not meet someone who understands what you're going through?
Well, I mean, I can also see it being disastrous. If I could make a website, though, I'd probably do it.

Just starting to realize my longest friendship isn't going as strong as it used to. It's sad thing to realize, and while it used to be my friend's and I used be so close now it seems my wife and her friend's are the group I'm part of more.

I guess I miss my buds :(

Cajungal

Staff member
Had to listen to the in-laws gripe about that Coke commercial where "America the Beautiful" is sung in different languages. Because "those foreigners are sneaky, leaking into our American culture." :facepalm:

Had to listen to the in-laws gripe about that Coke commercial where "America the Beautiful" is sung in different languages. Because "those foreigners are sneaky, leaking into our American culture." :facepalm:
And then did you ask them about their cajun heritage, while handing them some more of your jambalaya?

Just starting to realize my longest friendship isn't going as strong as it used to. It's sad thing to realize, and while it used to be my friend's and I used be so close now it seems my wife and her friend's are the group I'm part of more.

I guess I miss my buds :(
I find myself in this same boat. I spend a lot more time with the friends I've made through my husband. But I think it's mostly due to the fact that post college, all his friends moved back home (if they left at all) and stayed there. Almost all my friends have spread out across the US. We get to check in with each other daily through Facebook and what-not, but it's not the same thing.

Cajungal

Staff member
And then did you ask them about their cajun heritage, while handing them some more of your jambalaya?
I almost made a crack during the Heinz commercial, but I but my tongue. "Now that's better--God-fearing, white Americans singing together about ketchup." Yours is better.

I overheard an older teacher telling a younger one that teaching needs to be an all-consuming job.

"There is no such thing as free time. If you aren't in class or grading papers, you should be lesson planning. Nothing else."

Hey, lady, if that's how you live your life, you're doing it wrong. Is this a time consuming career? Certainly. But if you don't find a balance and enjoy life outside of work from time to time, you are going to be miserable. And stop telling that shit to new teachers.

I overheard an older teacher telling a younger one that teaching needs to be an all-consuming job.

"There is no such thing as free time. If you aren't in class or grading papers, you should be lesson planning. Nothing else."

Hey, lady, if that's how you live your life, you're doing it wrong. Is this a time consuming career? Certainly. But if you don't find a balance and enjoy life outside of work from time to time, you are going to be miserable. And stop telling that shit to new teachers.
Wow. I can't imagine telling someone that their job should take over their entire life. Are you sure she wasn't joking or being sarcastic? Or is she just an unhappy person who wants company while wallowing in misery?

Wow. I can't imagine telling someone that their job should take over their entire life. Are you sure she wasn't joking or being sarcastic? Or is she just an unhappy person who wants company while wallowing in misery?
Dead serious. I think it's like you said , she's a miserable person who has no idea how to balance her life, and is spreading that misery around. There's always one member of the faculty like that at every school.