[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Last time I picked up an inhaler in 2008, the Walgreen's pharmacy wanted $80 (with insurance), I went to target where the generic cost $15, plus $6 off for a new prescription account, for a total of $9. Might have been a half-normal size capsule, but a better deal. It still works today.

Regarding my work lunch "prize" - the leftovers were available to everyone, so it wasn't even an exclusive prize, more like a "thanks everyone" lunch.
But just think about how nice it'll be to get first dibs on chewing that gum.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ambient Occlusion. W.T.F.

Who thinks this looks good? It makes everything look like shit. Oooh "when an object gets closer to a wall, the wall around the object gets darker!" THAT'S NOT HOW THAT WORKS. The object should cast a shadow, not automatically make any other surface near it just get darker. I'm playing FarCry 3 and it's so bad that often Ambient Occlusion occurs when there's no other object nearby. IE, every goddamned person and object in the game is surrounded by a 6 inch thick miasma at all times. Add that in to the horrible depth of field bullshit, the texture pop-in, the "forcing a lower resolution than you set" bullshit, the whole thing is a smudgy, aggravating, migraine-inducing smear.

Guh.

Remember when the Crytek engine was supposed to look good? And be unashamedly Powerhouse-PC-centric without gimmicks or visual cheats? Bleah. Now it's just console shooters with so much post-processing FX I'm reminded of... Tammy Faye Bakker, for all crapsmudge obscuring what's really there.

Last edited:
Ugh, I fucking hate confrontational assholes who not only keep arguing just so they can prove that they're right, but personally attacking you.

I've been arguing over this asshole elsewhere on the net about the comic event Forever Evil. From what I've read of it, it's another overblown, crappy event. I said that I've read bits and pieces of it, like scans from Scans Daily or flipping through it in the store. And from that, I've made the informed opinion that it's crap. It's another overblown, meaningless event that requires several different titles to fully understand what's going on.

But no, of course, his argument is "Lol, you haven't read it." Fuck off. I've read ENOUGH of it. Yet he continued arguing that because I haven't sat down and read every single issue, I haven't read it at all. Bull fucking shit. I'm sure several people on here have made opinions on something without reading, watching, or listening to the whole thing based on their own informed opinion. I've read comics for over 20 years, even taken a course on studying them. I'm pretty fucking sure that I can make an informed opinion on whether a comic is good or not to me.

Worse, he would continually attack me personally, calling me ignorant and uninformed. Fuck him.

Ugh, I fucking hate confrontational assholes who not only keep arguing just so they can prove that they're right, but personally attacking you.

I've been arguing over this asshole elsewhere on the net about the comic event Forever Evil. From what I've read of it, it's another overblown, crappy event. I said that I've read bits and pieces of it, like scans from Scans Daily or flipping through it in the store. And from that, I've made the informed opinion that it's crap. It's another overblown, meaningless event that requires several different titles to fully understand what's going on.

But no, of course, his argument is "Lol, you haven't read it." Fuck off. I've read ENOUGH of it. Yet he continued arguing that because I haven't sat down and read every single issue, I haven't read it at all. Bull fucking shit. I'm sure several people on here have made opinions on something without reading, watching, or listening to the whole thing based on their own informed opinion. I've read comics for over 20 years, even taken a course on studying them. I'm pretty fucking sure that I can make an informed opinion on whether a comic is good or not to me.

Worse, he would continually attack me personally, calling me ignorant and uninformed. Fuck him.
Why bother to keep responding? Who cares what random internet dude x thinks of you/your opinion? "Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you over the head with his experience."

Why bother to keep responding? Who cares what random internet dude x thinks of you/your opinion? "Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you over the head with his experience."
Glutton for punishment? Because I can't stand confrontational assholes who won't just agree to disagree? That he keeps saying I'm completely ignorant of the story when I'm clearly not? I honestly don't know. I've given up, anyway.

I know the feeling all too well. I have no idea why I debate these people either. It's like some sort of masochistic thing.

The last time I had one of these debates was with a girl who's adamantly against legalizing gay marriage in Taiwan. Her argument included "allowing gay marriage will lower Taiwan's birth rate even more, because gay couples don't have children."

Her argument included "allowing gay marriage will lower Taiwan's birth rate even more, because gay couples don't have children."
Allowing gay marriage is positively correlated with a lower birth rate, so hey, maybe. Lucky for us we urgently need the birth rate to go down worldwide, huh? :p

Because I can't stand confrontational assholes who won't just agree to disagree? That he keeps saying I'm completely ignorant of the story when I'm clearly not? I honestly don't know. I've given up, anyway.
I get it. The problem with confrontational people is they generally enjoy getting others riled up; if he realised that simply disagree with you, or telling you of ignorance he has no real reason to judge gets you wound up, he probably just kept pushing that button just for the response.

But, yeah:
Glutton for punishment?
I get it.

fade

Staff member
Really this is why I've tapered off here to be honest. There are people here who insist that their opinions are correct and others' are wrong. They're opinions. They can't be right or wrong, just different.

Cajungal

Staff member
Really this is why I've tapered off here to be honest. There are people here who insist that their opinions are correct and others' are wrong. They're opinions. They can't be right or wrong, just different.
...I disagreed as a joke.

I can partly agree with that, though I would say that it's nowhere NEAR as venomous disagreement as many other parts of the net. For the most part.

FWIW, I enjoy your posts, including your opinions (critiques and otherwise)

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

I can't find a job for after I graduate. I have gotten a good amount of responses to my online applications but they all say something along the lines of "oh, well we need someone immediately, sorry." I think I'll probably have a better chance once I get closer to graduating, but my parents have been riding me about finding a job and I know the close I get without finding one the more upset they're gonna be. I don't understand how these people I know can line up these jobs in the fall for this summer.

I don't understand existentialism. I think I do, but the more I read the less sure I am of that. I've tried to look at resources other than my textbook in the hopes of clarification. It helps, but then I don't think I really get it. Or do I?

I think my brain is melting. :cry:

I don't understand existentialism. I think I do, but the more I read the less sure I am of that. I've tried to look at resources other than my textbook in the hopes of clarification. It helps, but then I don't think I really get it. Or do I?

I think my brain is melting. :cry:
Sounds to me like you've got existential angst, anyway.

I think I've realised I'll be on anti-depressants for the rest of my life and this bothers me for some reason. I mean, it shouldn't. In a sense it's like being diabetic and whining about having to take insulin. Ah. Well.[DOUBLEPOST=1391030242,1391030202][/DOUBLEPOST]
In seriousness, what kind of depth of understanding are you looking for? What is the assignment?

I think I've realised I'll be on anti-depressants for the rest of my life and this bothers me for some reason. I mean, it shouldn't. In a sense it's like being diabetic and whining about having to take insulin. Ah. Well.[DOUBLEPOST=1391030242,1391030202][/DOUBLEPOST]
In seriousness, what kind of depth of understanding are you looking for? What is the assignment?
This lesson is actually about existential therapy in psychology, but it is based in the basic philosophy of existentialism so I am trying to get a grasp on the philosophy. The ideas used in this style of therapy I'm ok with. I feel like a lot of what I'm reading about the philosophy is contradictory. Life has no meaning. Yet life has meaning if you give meaning to life.

I think I'm trying too hard to understand a philosophy that I seem to already agree with as far as freedom of choice and personal responsibility. It's so easy that it's difficult, you know?

(Hope my edits made for better clarification. I'm about to run out the door so I'm rushing.)

Last edited:
This lesson is actually about existential therapy in psychology, but it is based in the basic philosophy of existentialism so I am trying to get a grasp on the philosophy. The ideas used in this style of therapy I'm ok with. I feel like a lot of what I'm reading about the philosophy is contradictory. Life has no meaning. Yet life has meaning if you give meaning to life.

I think I'm trying too hard to understand a philosophy that I seem to already agree with as far as freedom of choice and personal responsibility. It's so easy that it's difficult, you know?

(Hope my edits made for better clarification. I'm about to run out the door so I'm rushing.)
Hm; I too find this aspect of existentialism contradictory (and unsatisfactory). It is resolved in a myriad of ways, but this contradiction is, I think, a crucial part of this school of philosophy, and its various authors/scholars address its resolution in their works.