[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Let's just say that you might want to consider picking up some pants with elastic waistbands the next time you purchase your Geritol.

:hide:

Thanks, everybody. "Because" is now officially a preposition, because internet.

What's next, the legitimization of "Wat do?"
Man, you're a lingual crankypants. Also, 'official' is questionable, since there's no official governance of the English language. Linguists acceptance of it as preposition is no more official than the -historically arbitrary but now assumed 'correct'- stance of most linguists that a preposition should never be used to end a sentence with.

Also,

I'm still grumpy about "literally" now being a synonym for "figuratively."
As I've pointed out before, this is not a recent use, it's been used that way almost as long as the word has been used to mean 'exactly what the words say' - oh, also that: literal used to mean 'pertaining to words or letters' because of its root, 'litera', Latin for letter. So, if we're going to stall literally, let's get back to that! Stop with this modern 18th century madness that 'literal' means words can be interpreted to mean exactly what they say as opposed to being an allegory! It just refers to something that has letters!

Also, do you never use hyperbole? "Man, that's a real load of crap." "The fridge is really far away." Real? We're okay asserting reality is other than it is, but 'literally' is a bridge too far?

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, you're a lingual crankypants. Also, 'official' is questionable, since there's no official governance of the English language. Linguists acceptance of it as preposition is no more official than the -historically arbitrary but now assumed 'correct'- stance of most linguists that a preposition should never be used to end a sentence with.

Also,
As I've pointed out before, this is not a recent use, it's been used that way almost as long as the word has been used to mean 'exactly what the words say' - oh, also that: literal used to mean 'pertaining to words or letters' because of its root, 'litera', Latin for letter. So, if we're going to stall literally, let's get back to that! Stop with this modern 18th century madness that 'literal' means words can be interpreted to mean exactly what they say as opposed to being an allegory! It just refers to something that has letters!

Also, do you never use hyperbole? "Man, that's a real load of crap." "The fridge is really far away." Real? We're okay asserting reality is other than it is, but 'literally' is a bridge too far?

Cajungal

Staff member
You know, Gas, the 'b' should be capitalized, and there should be an exclamation point (or at least a period) at the end of that sentence.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

The literally one bothers me just because it's new meaning is its antonym.

I don't see how Selfie isnt a word though. It means something that there wasn't previously a word for.

I've never heard because used in that way unless someone was trying to sound unintelligent because joke.

Hey Adobe, stop trying to sneak McAfee in on me. Every time I update my flash player, you move the -checked be default- 'option' to also install McAfee, and make me hunt for it so you won't try to auto install it.

Stop it.

GasBandit

Staff member
So my boss quit today. The general manager of our station cluster, that is. And on his way out, he's whispered a warning to make sure we have our "ducks in a row," because the owner and whoever the new GM will be (who will probably be brought in from outside the organization, and thus know fuck-all about how things work) will be doing budgets in the coming month, and the owner always has a hardon for reducing headcount to save money.

In the past 6 years I've always taken his claims that he fought the owner to avoid layoffs with a grain of salt; thought he was doing it just to try to get us to like him better while simultaneously working harder for fear that his "valiant efforts" wouldn't be enough. But now he no longer has a dog in the fight and I'm left to wonder.

Hell of a time to be worried about this sort of thing.

So you will not be welcoming the new GM with open arms?
The way you talk about the place, you're all already taking turns riding the exercise bike in the basement to power the transmitter. How much more can they cut?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
So you will not be welcoming the new GM with open arms?
The way you talk about the place, you're all already taking turns riding the exercise bike in the basement to power the transmitter. How much more can they cut?

--Patrick
Well, I'll tell you this about our owner, and this is corroborated from other industry sources - he's not a radio guy. He's a guy whose business plan is basically "flipping" radio stations. He buys them with a loan, makes some capital improvements, then sells them a few years later. It is worth noting that he's owned our cluster longer than he has most of his previous holdings - just over 6 years now. If you ask me, there actually IS some dead weight in the organization, but it's mostly in the sales department - but because most of their pay is based on commission, they usually aren't first on the chopping block unless they really suck or they're causing major problems (and one in particular right now really is and needs to go).

So they have been spending money. I think I've mentioned the recent remodeling of our kitchen, floors, bathrooms and repainting all the walls. Late last year we also got a new roof. 2-3 years ago we upgraded to a new automation system, despite having upgraded to the now former automation system a scant 3 years previous. But to hear my (former) boss talk over the last few years, it's been tooth and nail to keep everybody on the payroll. And that worries me.

Not merely because it'd be a particularly nasty time to lose my own job, but even more likely and almost as bad, if he were to say, fire the ailing 60 year old traffic director who spent her whole life smoking like a chimney and now has congestive heart failure and misses at least 1 day of work a week for the last 6 months, I'm the poor schmuck who will have to do all her work (I'm the only other one who knows how to run the traffic system), and train the eventual replacement. As I have the last 5 times we lost a TD. I so hate it when this happens.

I'm also worried that one of my dotted-line underlings in particular will lose her job - she's hands down my best worker, but she's only supposed to be part time - and as part and parcel of that whole chronically-ill-Traffic-Director thing along with us really not having enough staff so she ends up doing the work of two part timers, which means she's putting in tons of extra hours and drawing a lot bigger paychecks than his precious budgets would like her to be (and also, he's probably going to have to offer her the medical/dental/optical package us full-timers get, which is another cha-ching - unless of course he decides to dump us all on the Obamacare exchanges next go-round). And if she gets booted, alllll that work gets pushed back in my lap, and I flat haven't got the time.

I met up with a close friend of mine, and I could immediately tell something was wrong. She informed me that her child's father had done something awful to their kid, CPS was involved, and now she's going through this huge ordeal. I'm equal parts furious at the asshole who hurt her kid and frustrated there's not more I can do.

So, no one in my family can pick up the phone and tell me that my nephew was born?

Thanks, family. Stay classy.
Gah, that drives me nuts. You have my deep sympathy.

I'm often the last person to find out about things in my family -and they live in the same city! My sister's pregnancy, my cousin's wedding, another cousin's wedding, both of those cousin's having children... "Oops I guess we just thought you knew..." Because... I'm... psychic? Am I psychic?

Similarly, two of my idiot cousins posted about the death of my grandfather on Facebook before most of the family had been notified, so a nonzero number of cousins, aunts, uncles, found out from crass, misspelled, faux-sentimental Facebook status updates.

Because... I'm... psychic? Am I psychic?
Quick, tell me what I'm thinking!

Similarly, two of my idiot cousins posted about the death of my grandfather on Facebook before most of the family had been notified, so a nonzero number of cousins, aunts, uncles, found out from crass, misspelled, faux-sentimental Facebook status updates.
Yeah, I think that's the way my family has decided to communicate from now on. When my mom got remarried, she cancelled her long-distance phone service and told me that we were going to communicate by email from now on. That's lovely, except I answer scores of emails each day and really don't feel like writing more of them when I get home, but I'm the bad guy because I'm not in touch with them enough. Arrrrgh!

And they wonder why I moved to Canada.

Quick, tell me what I'm thinking!
FLEEGNORP! ..fleegnorp? What is wrong with you?

Yeah, I think that's the way my family has decided to communicate from now on. When my mom got remarried, she cancelled her long-distance phone service and told me that we were going to communicate by email from now on. That's lovely, except I answer scores of emails each day and really don't feel like writing more of them when I get home, but I'm the bad guy because I'm not in touch with them enough. Arrrrgh!

And they wonder why I moved to Canada.
Was it for the great company? :awesome: