[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

Cap 2 is still my favorite Marvel movie and this doesn't look disappointing.
I was worried that after two great ones, they were going to blow it by doing too much with the third movie, but the angle they're taking with the personal relationships from the trailer has restored my confidence; especially those last lines.

I am pleased that it seems to have as much in common with its comic namesake as Age of Ultron did.

I also find the vigilante term amusing since until Daredevil the MCU had exactly 0 super-hero crime fighters.

Very happy that they are ignoring all the political baloney from Civil War. Seems like it's going to be more about the government and other heroes wanting Bucky to answer for his crimes, and Cap coming into conflict with them in order to save his old friends life. Much more focused then I expected.

fade

Staff member
You know, that's an interesting point I never thought about before.

Marvel characters tend to be much less powerful than DC characters, yet they tend to take on huge cosmic or planetary threats. Ironically, the more powerful DC characters tend to take on street level threats.

Very happy that they are ignoring all the political baloney from Civil War. Seems like it's going to be more about the government and other heroes wanting Bucky to answer for his crimes, and Cap coming into conflict with them in order to save his old friends life. Much more focused then I expected.
Based on what I've read (which could be wrong) there are still strong themes of "is it moral for people with powers to fight villains without any oversight?" and "does the government have the right to register/control people with abilities?", so it won't be without political talk. I think it will just be scaled back.

You know, that's an interesting point I never thought about before.
Marvel characters tend to be much less powerful than DC characters, yet they tend to take on huge cosmic or planetary threats. Ironically, the more powerful DC characters tend to take on street level threats.
DC has always been more DBZish than Marvel.

--Patrick

Based on what I've read (which could be wrong) there are still strong themes of "is it moral for people with powers to fight villains without any oversight?" and "does the government have the right to register/control people with abilities?", so it won't be without political talk. I think it will just be scaled back.
Oh I am sure those themes will happen, but I was worried we were going to have a lot of the movie saturated with oversight committees, press conferences, etc. It looks like Ross and Tony are going to bring it up, but it will be more a backdrop to the "I have to save Bucky even if I break the law" story rather then the main meat of it like in the comics.

From everything that's been hinted, the "Sokovia Accords" are replacing the "Superhuman Registration Act" from the comics. The idea is similar, but since secret identities aren't a thing in the MCU, they get to cut all that dead weight. Essentially, with all the collateral damage from Sokovia (directly because of Tony Stark and the Avengers) as well as another incident in the early part of this movie, the governments of the world decide that "enhanced" people need to be held accountable to some agency. Now, the plot of Age of Ultron actually explains why Tony is pro-oversight: he acted without consulting anyone and wound up creating Ultron. He's seen the amount of damage someone like him can cause when left to their own devices. And he's not wrong. At the same time, Steve has seen SHIELD be consumed by within by HYDRA, and the danger posed by corrupt agencies with that level of power and reach. And he's not wrong. Add in personal stakes with Bucky, and you get one hell of a clash.

Of course, the secret identity stuff is likely to come up IN the movie, with Black Panther (and Spider-man in the next Avengers movie).

From everything that's been hinted, the "Sokovia Accords" are replacing the "Superhuman Registration Act" from the comics. The idea is similar, but since secret identities aren't a thing in the MCU, they get to cut all that dead weight. Essentially, with all the collateral damage from Sokovia (directly because of Tony Stark and the Avengers) as well as another incident in the early part of this movie, the governments of the world decide that "enhanced" people need to be held accountable to some agency. Now, the plot of Age of Ultron actually explains why Tony is pro-oversight: he acted without consulting anyone and wound up creating Ultron. He's seen the amount of damage someone like him can cause when left to their own devices. And he's not wrong. At the same time, Steve has seen SHIELD be consumed by within by HYDRA, and the danger posed by corrupt agencies with that level of power and reach. And he's not wrong. Add in personal stakes with Bucky, and you get one hell of a clash.
Ok, that puts it a bit better into perspective for me since the trailer makes it seem like Cap going bonkers over saving Bucky and not much else.

BananaHands

Staff member
After seeing the trailer I'm actually kind of bummed they're going to force Spider-Man into this at one point and possibly detract from the plot.

Well... Spider-man was actually a key player in Civil War...
In the comic, but his plotline was intrinsically tied in to the "secret identities made public" plot which is a non-issue in the MCU. Since the movies aren't the comic, his role may very well be minor in comparison.

BananaHands

Staff member
Well... Spider-man was actually a key player in Civil War...
In the comic, but his plotline was intrinsically tied in to the "secret identities made public" plot which is a non-issue in the MCU. Since the movies aren't the comic, his role may very well be minor in comparison.
Yeah, what he said. But there are a few identities that aren't public: Ant-Man, Daredevil, Hulk (?) or Hawkeye and his family. So I guess Tony could try to have Spidey be the figurehead? I'm not sure.

Hawkeye's really only been referred to as "Agent Barton" for most of the movies, Ant-Man's a reformed criminal, I'm pretty sure it's public that Hulk is Dr. Bruce Banner, and Daredevil is an unaffiliated vigilante. He might not even necessarily be on the radar of most agencies (I haven't seen the series so I don't know if that's the case or not).

I was thinking about this, and the first thought I had was "Well, I'm pretty sure none of the super villains are going to be signing anything", and then I felt a deep disturbance in the force, like a million NRA members simultaneously reached climax.

I need a shower.

I was thinking about this, and the first thought I had was "Well, I'm pretty sure none of the super villains are going to be signing anything", and then I felt a deep disturbance in the force, like a million NRA members simultaneously reached climax.

I need a shower.
That was literally the entire point of the anti-registration side in the comics...

... and then they gave actual super villains access to the list as part of their job with the Registration side. Guys like Taskmaster, Norman Osborne, the Thunderbolts (which included Baron fucking ZEMO) and worse. It almost immediately got out after Civil War and the guys who had privilege during the events of Civil War certainly weren't shy about using it against their enemies, even while they were still working for the government.

To put it lightly, the entire argument falls apart the second people have secret identities to protect. But then again, the arguments against the Mutant Registration Act from X-Men fall apart the second you consider guys like Magneto are around and perfectly willing to abuse their powers as terrorists. It's not even a gun control argument because people have to choose to buy/steal a gun before they can abuse it, unlike super powers.

So really, I guess my point is that comic book writers don't understand what people should actually be afraid of.

GasBandit

Staff member
So really, I guess my point is that comic book writers don't understand what people should actually be afraid of.
Marvel's mutants and metahumans are an allegory on puberty. You, the reader, are supposed to identify with them (not the mundanes), and feel persecuted when they do, and hate the square ol' mundanes because they tell you to do your homework, eat your broccoli, and don't let you have a secret identity because they just don't UNDERSTAND you, man, don't they know they're RUINING your LIFE??!

Marvel's mutants and metahumans are an allegory on puberty. You, the reader, are supposed to identify with them (not the mundanes), and feel persecuted when they do, and hate the square ol' mundanes because they tell you to do your homework, eat your broccoli, and don't let you have a secret identity because they just don't UNDERSTAND you, man, don't they know they're RUINING your LIFE??!
Actually, it was really more a "mutants are gay/black people" thing when it first came out. Yes, it had that puberty angle, but the real meat and potatoes of the story dealt with bigots trying to kill mutants simply for being mutants. Except that analogy doesn't work because gay people can't rip the Golden Gate Bridge out of the ground and use it to fly to Alcatraz like Magneto has done. People are reasonably afraid of mutants; not only are there terrorist mutants out there that the government can seemingly do NOTHING about, there is also the possibility that some kid who hasn't mastered their ability might accidentally kill you with a nuclear fart without even meaning to. That doesn't work when you put "gay" or "black" or whatever in place of "mutant".

But then again, the arguments against the Mutant Registration Act from X-Men fall apart the second you consider guys like Magneto are around and perfectly willing to abuse their powers as terrorists.

Anti-mutant registration arguments totally work. After all we shouldn't round up all muslims in this country and force them to wear identifying badges on their clothing just because some organized nutters flew planes into buildings.

The Super-human registration act on the other hand is like requiring a license to be a private investigator. Of course the SHRA was just an attack on the genre and the fact that it completely makes sense if you want to apply real world logic to the super-hero genre is why they had to write everyone pro-registration completely out of character and turn Tony Stark into a Democrat's idea of the boogeyman Republican.

Yeah the first X-Men movie actually gives a pretty good justification for it, when Toad knocks Cyclops' sunglasses off and he *blows half the building down* before he can stop himself. When you have people that are capable of that level of destruction without helping it, you know, it's worth keeping an eye on them.

Actually, it was really more a "mutants are gay/black people" thing when it first came out. Yes, it had that puberty angle, but the real meat and potatoes of the story dealt with bigots trying to kill mutants simply for being mutants. Except that analogy doesn't work because gay people can't rip the Golden Gate Bridge out of the ground and use it to fly to Alcatraz like Magneto has done. People are reasonably afraid of mutants; not only are there terrorist mutants out there that the government can seemingly do NOTHING about, there is also the possibility that some kid who hasn't mastered their ability might accidentally kill you with a nuclear fart without even meaning to. That doesn't work when you put "gay" or "black" or whatever in place of "mutant".
Well, yes and no, most mutants were deformed, inhuman looking with no powers except maybe having a permanent fur coat or being passable human looking enough but only able to heat a cup of water hot enough to make tea if they concentrated for 5 minutes, or having moderate super strength but not really the bone structure that matched.

Really a lot like the Wild Card Series, of all the people affected, A relative handful of Aces, a most of the rest are Deuces and Jokers.

Anti-mutant registration arguments totally work. After all we shouldn't round up all muslims in this country and force them to wear identifying badges on their clothing just because some organized nutters flew planes into buildings.
Last time I checked, a random Muslim couldn't level a building on accident because he wasn't sure how his pray mat worked.