Export thread

MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

Limit: 500

BananaHands

BananaHands

This is mostly a place for rumors and speculation about Phase 3/Future Projects considering Kevin Feige has claimed that the MCU has been mapped out until 2021.

Will Hulk get another film? Is Black Panther going to actually happen? Are they going to mess Thanos up?

Let's hear it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, we know that Ant Man is definitely part of Phase 3. I've heard Dr. Strange is a strong possibility.

evilmike

evilmike

The Motley Fool is reporting that Stan Lee confirmed both Black Panther and Doctor Strange but I haven't seen confirmation of this anywhere else.

evilmike

evilmike

io9 is reporting rumors of a Captain Marvel movie starring Katie Sackhoff.

BananaHands

BananaHands

io9 is reporting rumors of a Captain Marvel movie starring Katie Sackhoff.
What's great is that we'll have a Ms. Marvel film before a Wonder Woman film at this rate.

Frank

Frank

Katie Sackhoff would make a pretty good Carol Danvers.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What's sad is that we'll have a Ms. Marvel film before a Wonder Woman film at this rate.
Fixed that for you. Ms. Marvel arguably wouldn't exist if not for Wonder Woman.

But yeah, Sackhoff would make a pretty great Ms. Marvel. I say they just go to the full monty and call her Captain Marvel, as she is in the comics now.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Fixed that for you. Ms. Marvel arguably wouldn't exist if not for Wonder Woman.

But yeah, Sackhoff would make a pretty great Ms. Marvel. I say they just go to the full monty and call her Captain Marvel, as she is in the comics now.
Er, sorry. I meant it in a 'great' as in it's just kind of funny. A Wonder Woman film would be fantastic, but Warner Bros and DC are just running around in circles right now.

Sigh. We're bound to have a Howard the Duck remake before a Wonder Woman film.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dude, we're getting a live-action, big screen version of ROCKET RACCOON before Wonder Woman. I love R.R. and all, but that's just wrong.

Hell, we'll see a big screen version of Quicksilver before The Flash.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Dude, we're getting a live-action, big screen version of ROCKET RACCOON before Wonder Woman. I love R.R. and all, but that's just wrong.

Hell, we'll see two big screen version of Quicksilver before The Flash.

And even Batroc the Leaper. :(

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

And even Batroc the Leaper. :(

GSP! GSP! GSP!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd like another Hulk movie. One that I don't need to make excuses for in one aspect or another.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I have been hearing rumors about another possible Hulk film. The main conceit would be that, much like in recent comics, Bruce Banner makes an arrangement with S.H.I.E.L.D. to provide them with scientific assistance as Banner and strength in combat as Hulk.

Of course, that's just a rumor. Most of what I've heard of phase three has been putting an emphasis on new films and not sequels. Specifically, I've heard about:

Ant-Man
Dr. Strange
Black Panther
Ms. Marvel
Runaways
Blade

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I have been hearing rumors about another possible Hulk film. The main conceit would be that, much like in recent comics, Bruce Banner makes an arrangement with S.H.I.E.L.D. to provide them with scientific assistance as Banner and strength in combat as Hulk.

Of course, that's just a rumor. Most of what I've heard of phase three has been putting an emphasis on new films and not sequels. Specifically, I've heard about:

Ant-Man
Dr. Strange
Black Panther
Ms. Marvel
Runaways
Blade
Likely so they could get away from any further contract issues with Robert Downey Jr. Of course, he's a huge draw, so I'm not sure how well that'd work for Marvel.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hasn't Runaways been in production hell for years now?

BananaHands

BananaHands

I like this, but depending on how well GotG does, I'd LOVE to see a Planet Hulk live action film.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Bowielee

Bowielee

I kind of feel like The Punisher is kind of a relic nowadays. He's more serial killer than superhero.

Tress

Tress

While I agree with that assessment, I still think there's potential for an interesting show (if done properly).

What else would we like to see? My list would include Dr. Strange.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I know they got the rights back to Daredevil. What about a TV series for him?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

A Daredevil TV show could be like a superhero version of Law & Order. Which would be awesome.

I don't know how much fun Punisher could be. In a lot of ways, he's honestly a one-note character. There's only so many stories of him killing mafia guys before it gets boring. He's not even a multi-layered character like Dexter (the show got terrible, but the character was at least layered). Family got killed by mafia, now he hunts mafia, rinse lather repeat. The character never develops past that and if he does, it's temporary until the next creative team. He's basically any revenge movie main character - and very rarely are those characters very interesting, either. And their story ends after two hours, not including sequels. This guy's been the exact same for 40+ years.

Dr. Strange, I'd prefer, to get a big, summer blockbuster rather than a TV show. Go big budget with the magic.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, if it had a lot of focus on Matt Murdoch's lawyering, you could make a pretty fun show out of it.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Sweet Christmas!

No love for Heroes for Hire? Keep them at old school power levels and that would help keep the budget low. You could introduce Misty Knight, Jessica, White Tiger, Shang Chi, Moon Knight *who if you really wanted to delve into him, would be better off on cable or 'premium cable'. They'd also be perfect for crossing over with S.H.I.E.L.D. and a DD TV show.

And yeah, Frank Castle would be good for an awesome Miniseries, and then maybe the recurring role on other shows if they kept them all tied to the MCU.

evilmike

evilmike

AintItCool News has breakdown of the timeline for the Phase 3 projects:

July 17th, 2015: Ant-Man
May 6th, 2016
July 8th, 2016
May 5th, 2017
Mid Summer, 2017
May, 2018: Avengers 3​

Projects that are in the works:
Captain America 3
Thor 3

Projects that are currently rumored:
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

AICN has an open question about if Marvel is going to add film to this release schedule or if they are going to have one year with two sequels or if one of the projects is getting delayed until after Avengers 3 (phase 4?).

Tress

Tress

The longer this goes on the worse it will get. I predict that Phase 3 projects are going to start bombing due to audience fatigue. I think it's already starting now.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The longer this goes on the worse it will get. I predict that Phase 3 projects are going to start bombing due to audience fatigue. I think it's already starting now.
I don't know about that. The last Marvel movie was Iron Man 3 and that did gangbusters money despite iffy reviews. Cap 2 is next and there are a LOT of people looking forward to it, myself very much included.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I don't know about that. The last Marvel movie was Iron Man 3 and that did gangbusters money despite iffy reviews. Cap 2 is next and there are a LOT of people looking forward to it, myself very much included.
Poor Thor... already forgotten.

Tress

Tress

Thanks for making my point, Nick. You skipped right over Thor 2 because it was forgettable. CA2 will probably do well, then GoG will sputter, DC will join the trend with some mediocre shit, and that'll be the beginning of the end.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Whoops, I did forget Thor 2. And I liked it, too. :(

But my point is that they're still making a lot of money on these.

And DC already joined the fray with mediocre shit with Man of Steel. Hell, they tried joining the fray already with Green Lantern and it was almost a crime against humanity bad. If anything was to destroy box office interest in superhero movies, it would've been that. Fortunately, Avengers came out not too long after that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

There's also the new X-Men and Spider-Man movies coming up. They're not produced by Marvel Studios, but will have an effect on the general moviegoing public's perception of super hero films. Hell, X-Men was the movie that set up the modern trend.

phil

phil

Whoops, I did forget Thor 2. And I liked it, too. :(

But my point is that they're still making a lot of money on these.

And DC already joined the fray with mediocre shit with Man of Steel. Hell, they tried joining the fray already with Green Lantern and it was almost a crime against humanity bad. If anything was to destroy box office interest in superhero movies, it would've been that. Fortunately, Avengers came out not too long after that.
i kinda like green lantern and really liked man of steel.

:(

But I also had to remind myself that I've seen Thor 2 today.

I like when his hammer did the thing.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I have blind faith that GotG will be really good.
But that's only because I want it to be be very good.

Oh, I can't wait for the Phase 5 Howard the Duck film.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I predict that GotG will be the best movie that nobody sees.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I hope that Guardians of the Galaxy will be good, specifically because of James Gunn. He's the guy that wrote and directed Slither and Super (along with writing the game Lollipop Chainsaw) and he's also written and directing this. The man has a skilled yet twisted sensibility that I hope he can get to realize on the big budget they've given to him for it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Someone else on the forum speculated that Guardians of the Galaxy is Marvel's hedging towards sci-fi movies for when the superhero trend gets stale. I'm hoping it will be good.

Thor 2 was forgettable for me, but not because of too many superhero movies. The movie itself bored me, not its presence among other movies.

Bowielee

Bowielee

True confession time. Howard the Duck is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. I know it's terrible, but I can't stop watching it when it's on.

evilmike

evilmike

And to think, we all assumed that you were kidding.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That was some prophetic shit right there.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I actually used to read the comic back when he was teamed up with Man Thing. It was pretty good. Almost like a parody version of the Swamp Thing and Constantine team up.

Tress

Tress

Thanks for making my point, Nick. You skipped right over Thor 2 because it was forgettable. CA2 will probably do well, then GoG will sputter, DC will join the trend with some mediocre shit, and that'll be the beginning of the end.
I think it's only fair that I fully admit how wrong I was (so far). Mea culpa. I'm glad I'm wrong, too.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think it's only fair that I fully admit how wrong I was (so far). Mea culpa. I'm glad I'm wrong, too.
To be fair, while I'm glad you were wrong about GotG, I hope you're right about DC. I want their grim-dark, no fun, brooding, everything must be Batman crap to bomb and bomb hard.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

To be fair, while I'm glad you were wrong about GotG, I hope you're right about DC. I want their grim-dark, no fun, brooding, everything must be Batman crap to bomb and bomb hard.
Their shit is so dismal, even Charlie isn't rooting for them. He's backing Sony's Spider-Horse.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

He's backing Sony's Spider-Horse.
Oh great. ANOTHER spin-off.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh great. ANOTHER spin-off.
I dunno, I thought that movie with Spider-Pig was pretty decent.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That one's owned by Fox, though. I'm sure it'll be teaming with the X-Men or Fantastic Four any day now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That was Harry Plopper, you loser untrue fan.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Their shit is so dismal, even Charlie isn't rooting for them. He's backing Sony's Spider-Horse.
ehhh it's just more that I really like Spider-Man and don't want him in a dumb team-up MCU movie

I liked Man of Steel more than most, and I love the casting so far for Batman v. Superman. I'm kind of being stupidly optimistic that having $200m would make Zack Snyder tone down his shitty aspects

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

ehhh it's just more that I really like Spider-Man and don't want him in a dumb team-up MCU movie

I liked Man of Steel more than most, and I love the casting so far for Batman v. Superman. I'm kind of being stupidly optimistic that having $200m would make Zack Snyder tone down his shitty aspects
I don't think I'd want Spider-man in an Avengers movie either, but I wouldn't mind seeing how Marvel's movie studio would take a crack at a Spider-man movie.

As for Batman vs Superman, Snyder's just ... himself. I honestly think WB is laying too much on his plate.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I would love age of ultron to lead to a she-hulk movie.

Or wasp.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It looks like there will be an Inhumans film on the way, and Vin Diesel has been teasing that Marvel apparently thinks he is "inhuman". What do you think that he may be Black Bolt?

Bowielee

Bowielee

He'd be more suited to Gorgon than Black Bolt.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I still think it would be hilarious if Vin played Black Bolt given that he would have very few if any speaking lines. Visually Black Bolt... audibly... He is Groot.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think Black Bolt suits him. There's no doubt he has a great screen precense. But he's a terrible actor. This could work well.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I would love age of ultron to lead to a she-hulk movie.

Or wasp.
Wasp is just... Well not a very good character.

Celt Z

Celt Z

His best roles are when he says almost nothing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I want a She-Hulk movie.

Covar

Covar

I want a She-Hulk movie.
Me too buddy, me too.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

I want a She-Hulk movie.
If the 4 Netflix shows work out. I'd prefer her there.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...Actually, that would work. Jack Huston would be able to capture the gravitas I think you'd need to play Dr. Strange.

Kovac

Kovac

Nothing has been hinted in this direction but what about a Nova Corps movie?

I know absolutely nothing about them apart from what I saw in the GotG movie, but it seems to that given the events of that movie,
(almost entirely getting wiped out - unless they only had part of their forces located on Xandar?)
Marvel has left what appears to me as an open door to a potential story.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Nothing has been hinted in this direction but what about a Nova Corps movie?

I know absolutely nothing about them apart from what I saw in the GotG movie, but it seems to that given the events of that movie
(almost entirely getting wiped out - unless they only had part of their forces located on Xandar?)
, Marvel has left what appears to me as an open door to a potential story.

Nova Corps
If they are going to do a Nova Corps movie, it's going to be after GOTG2 and they'll probably introduce Nova during it.

evilmike

evilmike

My random thought/wishful thinking of the day: maybe the reason Marvel hasn't announced any more movie titles is because they're trying to hold for a surprise reveal in Avengers 2. The best case scenario: Avengers 2 introduces both T'challa and Carol Danvers during the main action of the movie and has a Doctor Strange scene as its stinger.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My random thought/wishful thinking of the day: maybe the reason Marvel hasn't announced any more movie titles is because they're trying to hold for a surprise reveal in Avengers 2. The best case scenario: Avengers 2 introduces both T'challa and Carol Danvers during the main action of the movie and has a Doctor Strange scene as its stinger.
Having Black Panther show up in Avengers 2 would be BALLSY but I don't think they will. If they did, it would already be out there... the movie's only 9 months away and they must have done all the casting and some of the shooting by now.

Bowielee

Bowielee

If they are going to do a Nova Corps movie, it's going to be after GOTG2 and they'll probably introduce Nova during it.
I await an awesome New Warriors movie to follow.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I await an awesome New Warriors movie to follow.
Even better.... New Warriors the TV show. Do it like a reality show following their heroics.... and you might see where I am going with this.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Having Black Panther show up in Avengers 2 would be BALLSY but I don't think they will. If they did, it would already be out there... the movie's only 9 months away and they must have done all the casting and some of the shooting by now.
If it's 9 months out, they've probably finished shooting by now and are in heavy post-production.

It's hard to keep secrets like that these days.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If it's 9 months out, they've probably finished shooting by now and are in heavy post-production.

It's hard to keep secrets like that these days.
Exactly. If he was going to show up as a major player, it'd be out. At least we're (probably) getting Warmachine to help out this time too. His actor's in it at least.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It wrapped early this month. It's all post production from here.
https://twitter.com/josswhedon/status/497108578109784064/photo/1

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

evilmike

evilmike

Saturday Night Live has its own take on Marvel's future:
https://screen.yahoo.com/marvel-trailer-063110406.html

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"Video not available in your location."

I fucking hate this so much. It's the internet, where it should be available to everyone. That's the whole fucking point of it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, NBC hates the idea that we might watch SNL. I knew it wouldn't be availble.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I watched it; you guys didn't miss much.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

There we go. For my fellow Canuckleheads who want to see a mostly lame 2-minute video that NBC refuses to let us see.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I take back the negativity in my post. I see now that NBC was not punishing Canadians by witholding that sketch. They were protecting us.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I found the video mildly amusing, but I was more interested in why there was so much laughter from the studio audience. Is it really that funny to them? Or perhaps that's a laugh track?

Gryfter

Gryfter

LOL, and they would still all be more entertaining than DC/WB's efforts.

evilmike

evilmike

LOL, and they would still all be more entertaining than DC/WB's efforts.
The sad thing is that Fancy Ghosts will get their own movie before Wonder Woman.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It looks like we finally have our Dr. Strange: Benedict Cumberbatch.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=124442

Gryfter

Gryfter

No complaints here.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It looks like we finally have our Dr. Strange: Benedict Cumberbatch.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=124442

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'll wait until Marvel confirms it. Benedict Cumberbatch has already denied it before, and that article cites Deadline as its source. The associated Deadline article doesn't even bother to cite a source. It literally just says "I'm hearing[...]"

online entertainment reporting is quick to report rumours as fact, even the more reputable sources. so I'm waiting for the studio themselves to make it official.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ugh.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Eh. He's talented but used too much. If this is true, I'm a little disappointed.

evilmike

evilmike

Marvel has a major announcement planned for tomorrow. They are running a live blog of the event starting at 11am PDT: http://marvel.com/news/movies/23537/sign_up_for_our_special_marvel_studios_event_liveblog

evilmike

evilmike

Updated release schedule from the press conference:
Captain America: Civil War -- May 6, 2016
Doctor Strange -- November 4, 2016
GotG 2 -- May 5, 2017
Thor: Ragnarok -- July 28, 2017
Black Panther -- November 3, 2017
Captain Marvel -- July 6, 2018
The Inhumans -- November 2, 2018
Avengers: Infinity War (part 1) -- May 4, 2018
Avengers: Infinity War (part 2) -- May 3, 2019

Chadwick Boseman announced as Black Panther.

Dave

Dave

Civil War?!? Man, if it's half of what's in the comics I'm down. Doubt it will be though. No Spidey reveal, no robot Thor, etc.

Frank

Frank

Civil War?!? Man, if it's half of what's in the comics I'm down. Doubt it will be though. No Spidey reveal, no robot Thor, etc.
Yeah, it sounds like it'll be a lot smaller scale.

Also, Black Panther and Captain Marvel, fuck yeah Marvel. Fuck yeah.

evilmike

evilmike

The Black Panther will appear in costume in Captain America: Civil War.

Gryfter

Gryfter

That's whole lot of awesome right there!

Adam

Adam

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Chadwick Boseman has gotten every single role for a young black man in Hollywood in the last 2-3 years with absolutely no clue how to stand in a spot and say words convincingly, but it's a good thing he's in the MCU where it doesn't really matter.

alternate joke: he's probably going to have a hard time with a performance that isn't rooted in a bad impression

Adam

Adam

Are you saying that because you think all black men look alike? Because looking at his IMDB profile, it's mostly TV work and a bunch of movies I've never heard of.

(You might be thinking of Michael B Jordan who has gotten every single role for a young black man for the past several years)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Maybe not "every single", but he played Jackie Robinson and James Brown back to back in movies that could have been interesting to good with anyone else.

Adam

Adam

Holy crap, a young black guy playing famous black guys in their youth..Excluding of course

Ray Charles
Hank Aaron
Muhammed Ali
Wilt Chamberlain
Michael Jordan
Martin luthor King Jr
Malcolm X
Emmett Till
Bill Cosby
James Earl Jones
Spike Lee
Richard Pryor
Booker T Washington
Jesse Jackson
Louis Armstrong
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Wonder

Etc.

Frank

Frank

That Thanos pic. RIGHT IN THE CHILDHOOD!

DC: Comic book movies are dark, serious business.

Marvel: PURPLE MAN WITH A NEAT GLOVE! MOOOOONEEEEEEEEEY!!!!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I have no clue what you're getting at, let me try again: he's a bad actor, he was bad in those two back to back high-profile bad movies.

Also I know who Michael B. Jordon is since The Wire 10 years ago, he rules and I like p much every movie he's in

also 2: Boseman isn't even young, he'll be 40 by the time his (first) movie comes out

Frank

Frank

Still bummed it isn't Djimon Honsou as Black Panther.

Adam

Adam

Still bummed it isn't Djimon Honsou as Black Panther.
Man, that guy has been getting every single role for a young black man in Hollywood in the last 2-3 years

Frank

Frank

Man, that guy has been getting every single role for a young black man in Hollywood in the last 2-3 years
That's because he's dreamy and awesome.

UNASHAMED.

Adam

Adam

That's because he's dreamy and awesome.

UNASHAMED.
I guess he could be Black Panther and in Guardians of the Galaxy. Should get him to play the Human Torch for the fantastic four.

OH WAIT, wrong young black actor.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Black Panther AND Captain Marvel solo movies? *pre-emptively slaps money down* Sold!

Also, that Panther design - if it's the one that's definitely being used - is the bees knees. It has a distinct, almost African design in the patterning but still retains Panther's iconic look. I'm in.

Interesting that they're splitting up Infinity War, but I think that's a good call.

Also, has anyone heard from @Bowielee since the news broke? Or is he in an Infinity Gauntlet coma? :p[DOUBLEPOST=1414534496,1414534394][/DOUBLEPOST]And I just realized the lack of a new Hulk solo movie. That makes me sad. :(

Celt Z

Celt Z

unnamed.jpg

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://nickpiers.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/have-i-converted-marvel-comics-vs-dc-comics/

I don't know how much of this rant even makes sense, but I put down my thoughts about Marvel vs. DC's cinematic plans. I'm starting to wonder if I've become a Marvel convert.[DOUBLEPOST=1414539759,1414539333][/DOUBLEPOST]Also:

Celt Z

Celt Z

Aww, Spidey! :(

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Aww, Spidey! :(
You know, for as much as I've not been liking what Sony seems to be doing with their Amazing Spider-Man films, it may have been to the benefit of the MCU to not have access to Spider-Man (along with stuff like X-Men). By not having access to the most popular and well-known characters to the public, they've taken plenty of others from their stable (others also well-known and others pretty obscure) and developed them into the awesome work we have today.

Null

Null

I love that Black Panther costume. It looks sleek and high-tech, the texture on it suggests carbon fiber or kevlar, while the detail and edges have a style suggestive of various African artistic motifs. It should look silly or simplistic - instead it looks awesome and badass. In a way, it's a great example of what Marvel's been doing with it's characters in the MCU - keeping true to their essence, but just giving them a tweak and a touch here or there to make them work on screen.

Celt Z

Celt Z

You know, for as much as I've not been liking what Sony seems to be doing with their Amazing Spider-Man films, it may have been to the benefit of the MCU to not have access to Spider-Man (along with stuff like X-Men). By not having access to the most popular and well-known characters to the public, they've taken plenty of others from their stable (others also well-known and others pretty obscure) and developed them into the awesome work we have today.
Well, yes, I believe I said something along those same lines earlier in the thread (or was it one of the other comic thread? Might be the Avengers 2 thread.), but he just looks so sad in that picture! He just wants to play in the good movie universe!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, yes, I believe I said something along those same lines earlier in the thread (or was it one of the other comic thread? Might be the Avengers 2 thread.), but he just looks so sad in that picture! He just wants to play in the good movie universe!
If you did say that, I apologize for copying it, but I do agree with the sentiment.

Also, he may moan to his Sony parents about not getting to play with his Avengers friends, but they certainly won't listen as they shuffle him off to his extracurricular activities, such as spin-offs for Sinister Six and Venom.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Dave, just to point out, Thor:Ragnarok comes out a year before Civil War, and in the comics Ragnarok took the Thor characters out of the equation for a couple of years. You could have the Avengers/Tony/Fury having created a robot Thor to keep the public out of the loop on what happened to him.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hmm, there was a prominent shot of Loki's scepter in that trailer. Does that confirm the gem in the scepter is an infinity stone?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Seriously, I just came a little.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Seriously, I just came a little.
Just a little?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

On the line-up: I'm glad Civil War will be contained in one movie.

Also, Captain Marvel, woo!

And now realizing I will be in my mid-30s when this is all over ...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Best part of the new trailer for Age of Ultron they put up during Shield tonight? That fraction of a second that Captain America lifts the hammer off table and Thor is like "Oh fuck" until he drops it without even noticing.

Null

Null

You know, at this point, Marvel can just drop the mic at the end of each announcement.

I wonder exactly how many chairs have had to be replaced at DC from the amount of pants-shitting that these announcements caused.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You know, at this point, Marvel can just drop the mic at the end of each announcement.

I wonder exactly how many chairs have had to be replaced at DC from the amount of pants-shitting that these announcements caused.
"Hey guys, no one reacted like this to our announcements."
"Hmm. Needs more darkness. Announce Superman: American Psycho."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Speaking of that preview...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm going to call the huge reveal right now. The Watcher is going to appear in Avengers 3, and be played by... STAN LEE! He's been there the whole time!

Frank

Frank

Dislike.

evilmike

evilmike

Interestingly enough, Gilbert Gottfried has been confirmed for exactly none of those movies...

bhamv3

bhamv3

Gilbert Gottfried would make a hilarious Loki.

evilmike

evilmike

Gilbert Gottfried would make a hilarious Loki.
Marvel may have initially considered Gilbert Gottfried, but they ultimately went in another direction...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

God, Reubens showed up in Blacklist and I just couldn't take him seriously at all. He looks ridiculous and no matter what I just hear PeeWee.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

DC's security is probably confiscating belts, shoelaces, and razorblades from their movie team. I have a feeling the whole studio's on suicide watch.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

"Guys, Marvel released a new press release with a huge amount of new movies, including characters we never thought would hit the screen! What should we go?"

"I got it! Batman!"

"But... we already are doing Batman!"

"Huh... how about Aquaman, but we make him LIKE BATMAN!"

"BRILLIANT!"

"Actually lets do that for all the comics and movies."

Coming, Summer 2017. The movie event of the year! GREEN LANTERN REBOOT: LOOK IT'S TOTALLY BATMAN!

Null

Null

"I know, let's shoehorn more characters into Batman / Superman: Dawn of Justice!"
"...But they've already finished principal photography."
"Well, get them to shoot more scenes."
"But the movie's already pushing 3 hours."
"Alright, we'll just do them for the Extended Super Edition DVD."
"Okay, that's not a bad idea, something extra for the fans to get them to buy more."
"And make sure they're in the tie-in videogame as DLC."
"What tie-in videogame?"
"The one that'll be out the same day the movie releases, of course!"
"Wait, do we even have time? That's 2 years of development, at least, and a pretty significant budget."
"Budget? Fuck that, just use one of the games that we already made. You've got 17 months. Better get cracking."

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Marvel could make a movie about D-Man, Squirrel Girl, or Wundarr the Aquarian. They would still be better than any DC film.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Marvel could make a movie about D-Man, Squirrel Girl, or Wundarr the Aquarian. They would still be better than any DC film.
I would utterly die if DC attempted to make an Aquaman movie, and around the same time Marvel makes a Namor movie, and yet the Namor movie blows it away. I mean it, I would die.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I would watch the fuck out of that movie.

Null

Null

A Squirrel Girl movie, made as a comedic action movie that doesn't give a fuck, would probably be pretty entertaining.

bhamv3

bhamv3

A Squirrel Girl movie, made as a comedic action movie that doesn't give a fuck, would probably be pretty entertaining.
Sort of like Guardians of the Galaxy, except turned up to eleven?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I would utterly die if DC attempted to make an Aquaman movie, and around the same time Marvel makes a Namor movie, and yet the Namor movie blows it away. I mean it, I would die.
I would watch the hell out of a Namor movie.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

A Namor movie would be great if they spent the first half of the film on his involvement with Cap and the other Invaders.

The point I was getting at is Marvel isn't afraid to have irreverent and snarky heroes. They're not supposed to be paragons of virtue. They look and act silly, and that's part of their charm. Wundarr the Aquarian looks like Disco Jesus but Marvel would STILL make a better movie featuring a D-lister like him than DC could with its A-list heroes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Marvel treats its heroes like people, DC treats its heroes like gods/legends. Unfortunately for the latter, they're each Hercules starring Kevin Sorbo if it were made on current era CW.

Bowielee

Bowielee

DC has always been like that. That's not their problem. Their problem is that they're going against that and taking all the wrong lessons from what made early superhero movies successful.

Null

Null

Sort of like Guardians of the Galaxy, except turned up to eleven?
Yeah, pretty much.

I'd watch the hell out of a Dazzler movie. Your trailer would be a scene where she's surrounded by armed troops, drones, and armored vehicles, she smiles, the camera pans in to show her earbuds, a thumping techno/dubstep song becomes audible, and she thrusts her hands forward, a blinding nimbus of light surrounding her, with pulsing laser beams blasting the drones out of the sky, etc.

Other trailer: as a nod to the character's origins from the Disco era, particularly Olivia Newton John and Xanadu, cast Olivia Newton John as her mom, and have the baby girl listening to the disco playing on the Hi-Fi, with glowing lights suddenly appearing around her as the baby laughs happily, much to her parents' shock.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'd watch the hell out of a Dazzler movie. Your trailer would be a scene where she's surrounded by armed troops, drones, and armored vehicles, she smiles, the camera pans in to show her earbuds, a thumping techno/dubstep song becomes audible, and she thrusts her hands forward, a blinding nimbus of light surrounding her, with pulsing laser beams blasting the drones out of the sky, etc.
Dazzler, the original dubstep gun?

Frank

Frank

Man, I know it doesn't have a chance in hell, but Katee Sackhoff as Capt. Marvel would be tops.

I think though that they're going to pursue Emily Blunt or Jessica Chastain or someone like that.

evilmike

evilmike

Man, I know it doesn't have a chance in hell, but Katee Sackhoff as Capt. Marvel would be tops.

I think though that they're going to pursue Emily Blunt or Jessica Chastain or someone like that.
Katee Sackhoff would be great, but they could do far worse than Emily Blunt.

Frank

Frank

Don't get me wrong, I have no issues there either, that's just my guess.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The neighbour from Winter Soldier would be nice too.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The neighbour from Winter Soldier would be nice too.
She's already going to have a role in future Cap movies.

Covar

Covar

She's Agent 13. She better have a role in future Cap movies.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

She's already going to have a role in future Cap movies.
She was even the host of the Marvel retrospective they had last night.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just throwing this out there, what if the computer Zola becomes Modok.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Just throwing this out there, what if the computer Zola becomes Modok.
Eh, Zola is an actual character from the comics, and I would rather they not turn him into another character.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I kind of hope that M.O.D.O.K. never actually makes an appearance in the movies.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So a friend and I were discussing Infinity War. And good lord, if they manage to get EVERYONE involved, it'll be frigging crowded as heck. Imagine all these heroes teaming up at the same time to fight Thanos:

-Iron Man
-Captain America
-Thor
-Hulk
-Hawkeye
-Black Widow
-Black Panther
-Scarlet Witch
-Quicksilver
-Vision
-Star Lord
-Gamorra
-Rocket Raccoon
-Groot
-Drax
-Yondu
-Whoever else joins The Guardians in their sequel (Nova, Adam Strange, etc)
-Dr. Strange
-Whatever Inhumans join the party (Black Bolt, Medusa, etc)

And Thanos is STILL going to trounce them soundly.

My theory for how Infinity War will play out is the first half will be a hunt for the gems/stones, racing to beat Thanos to them. I could see them splitting up all the heroes and mixing them up for the fun of it. Iron Man and Star Lord, Drax and Hulk, etc. Or more likely, small teams of about half a dozen each.

And then Thanos slides the last gem into the Gauntlet. End credits.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I kind of hope that M.O.D.O.K. never actually makes an appearance in the movies.
I wouldn't mind seeing him, but he is definitely one of those creations that wouldn't work in his comic style. It's just too out there. My idea was an AI created by AIM that when activated takes the form of a giant floating head hologram, similar to say, the Wizard of Oz, who later on gains mobility though some sort of robotic projector/weapon. The only thing that wouldn't make sense then is his acronym, as the first O in "M.O.D.O.K" stands for Organism.

Covar

Covar

-Whoever else joins The Guardians in their sequel (Nova, Adam Strange, etc)
That would be a rather interesting get on the part of Marvel Studios.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That would be a rather interesting get on the part of Marvel Studios.
Whoops. Warlock. I meant Adam Warlock.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I wouldn't mind seeing him, but he is definitely one of those creations that wouldn't work in his comic style. It's just too out there. My idea was an AI created by AIM that when activated takes the form of a giant floating head hologram, similar to say, the Wizard of Oz, who later on gains mobility though some sort of robotic projector/weapon. The only thing that wouldn't make sense then is his acronym, as the first O in "M.O.D.O.K" stands for Organism.
If they went that route, they could use Operation in place of Organism for his acronym.

Covar

Covar

Adam Strange would make for such a fun movie. Too bad it will never happen.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So a friend and I were discussing Infinity War. And good lord, if they manage to get EVERYONE involved, it'll be frigging crowded as heck. Imagine all these heroes teaming up at the same time to fight Thanos:
It's likely that while all of them will appear in some capacity, most will be cameos. Instead, they will focus on the larger draws from each while the smaller ones will only come in when needed. I have a feeling the original Avengers and GOTG crew will get priority, while characters like Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Black Panther, etc, will just appear in small bursts just to remind us they are there.

Though having them all in the climax of the second movie would be totally supreme.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's likely that while all of them will appear in some capacity, most will be cameos. Instead, they will focus on the larger draws from each while the smaller ones will only come in when needed. I have a feeling the original Avengers and GOTG crew will get priority, while characters like Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Black Panther, etc, will just appear in small bursts just to remind us they are there.

Though having them all in the climax of the second movie would be totally supreme.
You're probably right, but I'm sure a fellow nerd like Whedon won't be able to hold himself back from having them ALL appear at some point.

Still, I think how much screen time the smaller heroes get will depend on how popular some get. I could see Black Panther being a surprise hit for audiences, like GotG was. Maybe not to that extent, but I could see it being popular.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I can picture Star Lord and Iron Man getting Winter Soldier hopelessly drunk during the "getting to know you" phase.

I'm also hoping that Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, or the Agents of Shield make cameo appearances in the films. Marvel does own the rights to them after all. Here's what I was thinking. Start the Infinity War Part 1 with a standard Shield op. The Shield agents are staking out a crime syndicate that's been funneling money to Hydra. Agents Morse, May, and Hunter infiltrate the office building and take out a few goons. As they fight their way to the main offices, they learn the crime syndicate has some supervillains like Goldbug and Plunderer, and they agents are in way over their heads. Coulson orders the agents to retreat while he calls in some heavy hitters. After a few seconds, Luke Cage steamrolls his way into the lobby and he and Iron Fist proceed to beat the snot out of the supervillains. As the agents and Heroes for Hire dust themselves off, you hear Coulson on the radio.

"Good news is Hydra won't have Christmas bonuses this year. Bad news is I had to pay your backup with the last of our petty cash. Hold on... what was that, Skye? Everyone, return to base now. No time to explain. Something big just came up. I mean 'big' like 'Agent Koenig won't be playing Call of Duty until it's done' kind of big."

Then the camera shifts to a TV where a special report has just come in about a gamma bomb going off. Cue the title screen.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Infinity War 1 better end with Thanos killing damn near everyone.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm glad they announced the movies so far in the future so we have that many more months of fan fiction

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Including the erotic furry fan fiction wherein the authors put themselves in the story.

Null

Null

Including the erotic furry fan fiction wherein the authors put themselves in the story.
And the ponies. Good god, the ponies.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You're probably right, but I'm sure a fellow nerd like Whedon won't be able to hold himself back from having them ALL appear at some point.

Still, I think how much screen time the smaller heroes get will depend on how popular some get. I could see Black Panther being a surprise hit for audiences, like GotG was. Maybe not to that extent, but I could see it being popular.
I thought Whedon said he was done after Avengers 2 because of Edgar Wright getting booted from Ant-Man.

Null

Null

I thought Whedon said he was done after Avengers 2 because of Edgar Wright getting booted from Ant-Man.
Yeah, Ant-Man has been through its fair share of development hell. I like Edgar Wright's work that I've seen (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End) and Marvel has produced a few duds - Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 weren't painfully bad, but they did have some serious shortcomings that kept them from being particularly good - so I can't say that's a great sign. On the other hand, Edgar Wright's strengths as a director - quirky, pop-culture nuances, incredibly smart and thorough references, loving deconstructions and reconstructions of common protagonist types - might not have been especially fitting for a superhero movie.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, Ant-Man has been through its fair share of development hell. I like Edgar Wright's work that I've seen (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End) and Marvel has produced a few duds - Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 weren't painfully bad, but they did have some serious shortcomings that kept them from being particularly good - so I can't say that's a great sign. On the other hand, Edgar Wright's strengths as a director - quirky, pop-culture nuances, incredibly smart and thorough references, loving deconstructions and reconstructions of common protagonist types - might not have been especially fitting for a superhero movie.
No, they are perfect for a super hero movie. It just needs to be one that is less serious... like Kickass.

Null

Null

No, they are perfect for a super hero movie. It just needs to be one that is less serious... like Kickass.
Kickass is kind of a deconstruction of the superhero genre, though - at least at the start of it, though it moves more towards an affectionate parody / homage towards the end. I haven't seen the sequel so I can't comment on that one.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Kickass is kind of a deconstruction of the superhero genre, though - at least at the start of it, though it moves more towards an affectionate parody / homage towards the end. I haven't seen the sequel so I can't comment on that one.
We call that a Reconstruction :p

Gryfter

Gryfter

Null

Null

Well, my prefered casting would have been Oded Fehr, but Cumberbatch is huge right now and it fits right in the rest of his "masters of esoteric knowledge" gallery of characters.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Well, my prefered casting would have been Oded Fehr, but Cumberbatch is huge right now and it fits right in the rest of his "masters of esoteric knowledge" gallery of characters.
Agreed, not thrilled with it but at the same time I know it's going to be good for the film. It'll help draw more people to a lesser-known hero and that's okay in my book.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Didn't see this posted anywhere: Marvel has announced Krysten Ritter (Jane from Breaking Bad) as Jessica Jones in the Jessica Jones Netflix series.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/23762/krysten_ritter_to_star_in_marvels_aka_jessica_jones

Null

Null

Thank god they didn't. Imagine, a Civil War storyline without any Spider-Man bullshit, meaning no One More Day, etc.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Thank god they didn't. Imagine, a Civil War storyline without any Spider-Man bullshit, meaning no One More Day, etc.
Isn't Quesada no longer in charge over at Marvel? There's a chance we can get rid of that stupid, stupid event.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Isn't Quesada no longer in charge over at Marvel? There's a chance we can get rid of that stupid, stupid event.
You are correct! It seems he left in 2011 and Axel Alonso took over. I may have to start collecting Spider-Man again. Or at least this summer's issue.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Rumor: Sony Japan may force Sony Pictures to take Spider-man deal.

Apparently the home office is well and fully pissed over the hack and the awful performance of the Spider-man movies. Having lost faith in them, it might be possible that they force Sony Pictures to take the deal in the upcoming January meeting. We all figured the only reason they hadn't hashed out the deal before was that some executive was worried about losing their job, but after the hack it's almost guaranteed to happen.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Reportedly, the Russo brothers (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) revealed in an email to Sony Chairman Amy Pascal that they will be directing Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and 2. If it's true that Joss Whedon is leaving the MCU after Avengers 2, I think I might be okay with them as replacement for the Avengers franchise.

Edit: Here is the article in question. It sites overtice.com, which is in Portuguese and so I don't know how reliable it is. But honestly, I believe it just because it kinda makes sense.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Reportedly, the Russo brothers (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) revealed in an email to Sony Chairman Amy Pascal that they will be directing Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and 2. If it's true that Joss Whedon is leaving the MCU after Avengers 2, I think I might be okay with them as replacement for the Avengers franchise.
I'm also fine with that. Much as I love Whedon, if he's going, there's no point in griping about it, and I'd rather James Gunn keeps focused on Guardians 2 than have his time divided into too many major projects.

Not to mention Winter Solder is easily among the best of the Marvel movies.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Anyone in the Marvel stable of directors is better than Whedon, so this rules

Celt Z

Celt Z

I really liked Winter Soldier, but I hope they can handle an ensemble cast. From the way things are going, there's going to be a LOT of characters in the Infinity War, far more than The Avengers. I don't want it to become like the Wolverine!... and Some Other X-Men movies.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I really liked Winter Soldier, but I hope they can handle an ensemble cast. From the way things are going, there's going to be a LOT of characters in the Infinity War, far more than The Avengers. I don't want it to become like the Wolverine!... and Some Other X-Men movies.
Fortunately, they don't have to worry about INTRODUCING all those characters. Like Avengers, that's what their respective solo movies will be for.

Null

Null

Marvel's been very good so far about that, introducing characters ahead of time which will be major players later - Black Widow in Iron Man 2, Falcon in Winter Soldier, etc. I think they have enough movies to set up the characters for Infinity War ahead of time, instead of the DC Method of "The two guys you came to see... and 10 other people who'll be in it for like 5 minutes."

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Supposedly the GotG will not be crossing over for Infinity War, if James Gunn is to be believed and he's not just throwing us a curve ball. He's stated that one or two Guardians might meet one or two Avengers at some point, but that he wants the Cosmic side of things to remain their own thing.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Supposedly the GotG will not be crossing over for Infinity War, if James Gunn is to be believed and he's not just throwing us a curve ball. He's stated that one or two Guardians might meet one or two Avengers at some point, but that he wants the Cosmic side of things to remain their own thing.
That's.. kinda disappointing. I was looking forward to the GotG interacting with the rest of the Marvel heroes. I could already picture Rocket giving Peter endless grief about his fellow Earthlings :"THESE are your people?!?"

Plus it's a challenge for the directors: How many Chrises can you get in one movie?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think he's punking us to some extent, because the cosmic side is already involved in the same stuff leading up to the Infinity War. That said, even if all of the Avengers and all of the Guardians are in the same set of movies, it doesn't mean that all of them will be thrown together. The hero team of them + other characters would be over a dozen. That's too big a bunching of characters to give proper attention to everyone.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I think he's punking us to some extent, because the cosmic side is already involved in the same stuff leading up to the Infinity War. That said, even if all of the Avengers and all of the Guardians are in the same set of movies, it doesn't mean that all of them will be thrown together. The hero team of them + other characters would be over a dozen. That's too big a bunching of characters to give proper attention to everyone.
Yeah I think his earlier statements that one or two from one group might meet one or two from the other are more likely.

Perhaps the Guardians learn of Thanos going to retrieve the Tesseract and the Gauntlet from Asgard, and meet Thor, Loki, Sif, Heimdl, et al there. Maybe they manage to get Stark out to space for a bit. They had originally planned on an end credits scene where he made a cameo, after all.

I'm sure the Guardians will be in the in Infinity War movies, but not necessarily battling it out on Earth alongside the Avengers.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's.. kinda disappointing. I was looking forward to the GotG interacting with the rest of the Marvel heroes. I could already picture Rocket giving Peter endless grief about his fellow Earthlings :"THESE are your people?!?"
If the Avengers were the only Earthlings that the Guardians met, I'm sure Drax would be impressed.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I can't believe I'm getting excited about a teaser to a teaser.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This is quite possibly the stupidest way to hype something ever.

It's also ANOTHER goddamn trailer teaser, a practice that I absolutely loathe.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I actually think the Ant sized trailer is clever. I'm not a fan of trailers for trailers, but I think this move is smart of them if they want to give Agent Carter a boost.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think it's amusing in a "dad-joke" kind of way. Yes, it's obvious and simple, but they still went for it. On the other hand, I'm waiting to see if the teaser or eventual trailer gets my attention, which has been flagging since they let go of Edgar Wright.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't think Ant Man will be as big a train wreck as Fox's supposedly upcoming Fantastic Four. That I'm looking forward to, because we're getting closer and closer to its release and haven't seen jack squat about it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Ant Man I almost feel I need Edgar Wright's permission to go see. I'm still super bummed he was removed from the project, seeing as literally the only reason they decided to make it was because they wanted his version of it.

And Fantastic Four is going to be so terrible. It might be even worse than the last one.

evilmike

evilmike

I actually think the Ant sized trailer is clever. I'm not a fan of trailers for traioers, but I think this move is smart of them if they want to give Agent Carter boost.
I like the idea, but I think it would have worked better if they had released the whole trailer in miniature. The fan community would have gone nuts for a week trying to analyze it and it would have gotten another boost when it was released in human scale.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm on board with Fantastic Four since it has great young actors (see me in 30 years when Miles Teller and Michael B. Jordan have Oscars), Josh Trank's first movie was good and he's in high enough regard to already get a fuckin' Star Wars movie, and the screenwriter is a normal-ish pro whose name isn't Orzi, Kurtzman, or a list of 8 people.

evilmike

evilmike

Now with more (less?) Pym particles:

evilmike

evilmike

They have released a poster, which keeps with the theme they have set up:
ant-man.jpg

bhamv3

bhamv3

You know, with this whole "miniature sized" theme they've set up, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the actual movie is only 30 seconds long.

bhamv3

bhamv3

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yep, that sure is a trailer. First Marvel trailer I've felt kind of ho-hum about. It being in production hell hasn't helped, mind you.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Yep, that sure is a trailer. First Marvel trailer I've felt kind of ho-hum about. It being in production hell hasn't helped, mind you.
Yeah, I had a similar feeling. I mean, there are a few good elements in it, like the shrinking effect looks good, but on the whole that teaser felt...meh. I really hope all the pre-production baggage doesn't weigh it down and result in simply an okay (or, even worse, bad) Marvel movie.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I did enjoy the little jab about the name at the end, though.

Frank

Frank

Completely outside all that trouble it's had, that trailer is totally the mehest meh thing I've ever watched and I love every actor in it. The tiny little jokey jab doesn't in any way make up for the moroseness of the rest of it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think the problem is definitely the delivery. Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd seemed like they were bored just being there.

Kovac

Kovac

That's what I was getting from it as well ScytheRexx.

From the trailer i'm expecting a rather dull movie.

But then this is the movie following Guardians of the Galaxy which is a pretty hard act to follow.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Speaking of GotG, it should have probably gone for that kind of mood. Instead ... well, it was that. Hopefully the real trailer shows a different kind of movie.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Corey Stoll tho

Celt Z

Celt Z

The trailer felt a little too generic-hero story. I can see why they didn't go quite as silly as they did with Guardians of the Galaxy, because "Ant-Man" is a pretty silly name to being with. Add me too the group hoping the second trailer will be more interest-grabbing. I'd really like to see that they haven't wasted Paul Rudd ability to be funny, similar Robert Downey Jr., which I think would have been highlighted if Edgar Wright was still in charge.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

That's what I was getting from it as well ScytheRexx.

From the trailer i'm expecting a rather dull movie.

But then this is the movie following Guardians of the Galaxy which is a pretty hard act to follow.
Also remember that this film is coming out the same year after Avengers: Age of Ultron. It's unfortunately got a tough act to follow after the last few Marvel movies which have been incredible.

Null

Null

That was a terribly meh trailer. The shrinking effects actually looked surprisingly good, but the entire tone of the trailer was so generically superhero that it evoked... nothing. In a way, the joke about the name at the end highlighted how nothing the rest of the trailer was.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The trailer felt a little too generic-hero story. I can see why they didn't go quite as silly as they did with Guardians of the Galaxy, because "Ant-Man" is a pretty silly name to being with.
It was embracing the silly that worked for GOTG though. They had a talking racoon as a member, and made it work by not taking itself too seriously. It's one of the reasons I think they got a comedian to play the lead, because Gunn wanted someone inherently funny and likeable rather then just the same old stoic hero.

Ant-Man should be the same. They even got another actor known more for his comedy, and yet the trailer represented the generic super hero bits with an oddly serious tone. The jab at the end was the only part that represented what I think they should do with it. My hope is since this is a TEASER, and not a TRAILER, that they still have yet to really work out a more true to the movie montage.

P.S. A good example, going back to GOTG, was how they handled the absurdity of the "Star-Lord" nickname. They took something that you roll your eyes at, made even the characters in the movie roll their eyes at it, and then made it all come together in such a sincere way by the end that you just accept it. I hope they do something similar with Ant-Man.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The trailer felt a little too generic-hero story. I can see why they didn't go quite as silly as they did with Guardians of the Galaxy, because "Ant-Man" is a pretty silly name to being with. Add me too the group hoping the second trailer will be more interest-grabbing. I'd really like to see that they haven't wasted Paul Rudd ability to be funny, similar Robert Downey Jr., which I think would have been highlighted if Edgar Wright was still in charge.
Seeing as Paul Rudd is being given writer's credit on this, I would say they've put his comedy to use, or atleast given him every conceivable opportunity to do so.

The teaser doesn't give us nearly enough to get excited about, but it doesn't destroy my hopes either. Its just a very safe generic looking trailer. With Guardians they leaned in to the goofiness, with Ant Man ot looks like they are (I think, wisely), downplaying that for now. I expect the first full length trailer to deliver us more laughs and more to get excited about.

Jeremy Renner recently tweeted he was back in the Hawkeye costume but couldn't say why. If it were just for an AoU reshoot we'd know. My bet is an after credits scene teasing Ant Man. Maybe we'll get to see Ant Man ride one of Hacker's arrows.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Oh cmon, they obviously went with all the serious stuff and a small taste of humour at the end on purpose.

Im guessing that after GotG they don't want to make films that are/seem too light hearted to avoid ending up with something people don't take seriously.

Or maybe they just don't want people to expect Ant-Man to be funny in the comics...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh cmon, they obviously went with all the serious stuff and a small taste of humour at the end on purpose.

Im guessing that after GotG they don't want to make films that are/seem too light hearted to avoid ending up with something people don't take seriously.

Or maybe they just don't want people to expect Ant-Man to be funny in the comics...
I agree. I don't think they'd be wise to lean into the absurdity like with Guardians. That is the tone for that series. They can't all do that. Plus, that's the cosmic universe and this is not. This needs to have a tone that gels more the other Avengers movies.

Still, I think the complaint isn't so much that it doesnt look as goofy as GotG but that it looks "darker" and "grittier" than the other Marvel movies so far. But:
-the teasers up until now have usually reserved the funny stuff. These aren't comedies, they're very light hearted action flicks and you will run out of gags if you put them all in the teaser. (How many gags were in the AoU teaser and who here is expecting that movie to be devoid of humour)
-This short teaser gives general audiences everything they need to know in a condensed origin story. Kinda lame, but true. It will give general audiences a better idea of what the character is about than if it were all goofs.

All that being said, it just looks very straight forward and hasn't done muh to pique my interest. But i think this isn't designed to get ME on board.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I was actually replying, late, to the comment above yours.

But imo the funny stuff at the end made the trailer...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Do you know what this trailer reminds me of? Green Lantern. Minus the terrible special effects and anything particularly "ugh" worthy like "I KNOW, RIGHT?" Just more in its overall blandness.

evilmike

evilmike

Do you know what this trailer reminds me of? Green Lantern. Minus the terrible special effects and anything particularly "ugh" worthy like "I KNOW, RIGHT?" Just more in its overall blandness.
It isn't a noteworthy trailer, but it's flat out wrong to compare it to the first Green Lantern trailer. The first GL trailer was outright awful.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It isn't a noteworthy trailer, but it's flat out wrong to compare it to the first Green Lantern trailer. The first GL trailer was outright awful.
*Scott Lang standing in front of his friend*

Scott: Dude watch this!

*Scott Lang shrinks*

Friend: WOAH!

Scott in high pitched voice: I know right!

Tress

Tress

It wasn't bad. It just wasn't necessarily good either. Three points came to mind though:

1) I, and at least a few other people, thought the first GotG trailer was underwhelming. It turned out to be a fantastic film, so I don't know how much we need to worry about the trailer.

2) I think that Marvel has earned some credit and faith over the years, so I'm willing to still give it a chance.

3) As someone already mentioned, they need to keep the funny and light-hearted stuff for later.

figmentPez

figmentPez

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

We've got some Civil War casting news: Daniel Bruhl as Baron Zemo. The news was revealed in a Captain America: Civil War casting call sheet.

Covar

Covar

I'm sad that I'll probably never see the Masters of Evil in an Avengers movie.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

bhamv3

bhamv3

I wonder if it'll still be Andrew Garfield.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I wonder if it'll still be Andrew Garfield.
I highly doubt that. If Marvel were ballsy enough, they'd introduce us to a "new" Spidey: Miles Morales. Won't happen, but it'd be amazing.

Either way, welcome home, Spidey. Welcome home.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I highly doubt that. If Marvel were ballsy enough, they'd introduce us to a "new" Spidey: Miles Morales. Won't happen, but it'd be amazing.

Either way, welcome home, Spidey. Welcome home.
Is it bad that I'd be disappointed if they replaced Garfield? He's a pretty decent Spider-man. I mean, it's not a perfect casting, like RDJ for Tony Stark, but Garfield's still pretty good.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'd be interested to see what Garfield can do under different direction and better scripts. He certainly wasn't the problem with the sony movies.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I can't wait for the third Spider-Man origin movie in my life

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

From the article, it sounds like Spider-man will next show up in someone else's movie, and then another Spider-man film will be released, so I think they're skipping the origin movie.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Negotiations were like:

Celt Z

Celt Z

Thanks, Nick. Mr. Z just watched me dribble coffee all over myself from laughing.

(I regret nothing.)

Frank

Frank

I kind of look forward to why you hate the new one under Feige's supervision.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sony will do another all new origin story in 2017 too.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Not surprised given that Marvel Studios films keep making money hand over fist. The last Spidey solo effort.... not so much.

Good news though![DOUBLEPOST=1423585090,1423584507][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and apparently Buzzfeed is reporting that Garfield is out (according to i09).

http://io9.com/its-official-spider-man-will-appear-in-the-marvel-movi-1684857245

Good news as far as I am concerned. His Spidey was fine but his Peter was mopey and emo unless Stone was on screen with him.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

If Sony was smart they would utilize this deal to basically step back and let Marvel print them money (as they would get a cut of any Marvel movie invoking Spider-Man). If they get too many of their fingers into the process they are just going to hurt themselves, which worries me since the article says they still have "final creative control".

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If Sony was smart they would utilize this deal to basically step back and let Marvel print them money (as they would get a cut of any Marvel movie invoking Spider-Man). If they get too many of their fingers into the process they are just going to hurt themselves, which worries me since the article says they still have "final creative control".
"What do you mean there's only one villain in the movie!? NO! There needs to be at LEAST three! Because it worked so well for Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2, dammit!"

evilmike

evilmike

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Apparently, while Sony has obviously cancelled any plans for Amazing Spider-Man sequels thanks to the deal with Marvel, they're apparently STILL planning on trying to make Sinister Six, Venom, and "female protagonist from Spider-Man comics" films.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/408535-get-ready-for-a-much-younger-spider-man

:facepalm:

Seriously, Sony, just wipe the Spider-Man slate you had before clean and focus on this new lease on marketing life Marvel has given you.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What's even the point if they're not going to tie in with Spider-Man? I thought that was the point? That they would eventually tie in with the ASM series of films?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They might be contractually obligated at this point... and those projects are less risky because there are fewer fan expectations for said properties.

A Sinister Six movie might tie into the MCU by being about the first super villian team-up, playing it like a heist movie where the villians win... and then the Avengers (or someone else) have to track them down in a bigger, MCU directed movie later the same year.

They might go the "Agent" Venom route and have it be about a government agent using the symbiote to track down and stop a rogue villain (before giving in himself).

Still don't know how they'd do a Black Cat movie though.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Variety is reporting that Marvel paid nothing for this deal, and neither did Dony. Neither company is getting any cut of profits from the other's movies involving Spider-Man.

Seems like the simplest solution.

Celt Z

Celt Z

They're doing this out of the kindness of their hearts? I dunno, Spidey-sense is tingling on that...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

They're doing this out of the kindness of their hearts? I dunno, Spidey-sense is tingling on that...
Nobody said that. Both companies stand to win big on the deal. Marvel gets additional promotion for Avengers, as well as all those sweet sweet toy, tv, clothing, and tv show deals where Disney prints it's money. Sony gets renewed interest in a flailing franchise, the best and biggest teaser trailer one could possibly ask for for free, and they get to piggy back off the industry's hottest franchise for years to come.
Edit: ign is reporting the same thing. But my guess is that Variety is their source or vice versa.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/it-cost-marvel-zero-dollars-to-get-spider-man

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

They might be contractually obligated at this point... and those projects are less risky because there are fewer fan expectations for said properties.
Likely the first reason. They keep making movies, reboots, and spinoffs (and the same reason FOX does with X-Men) all because of the drop clause. If they don't make a themed movie around the property within a certain time-frame, the rights automatically drop back to Marvel. Even with this new deal involving Spider-Man, Sony themselves likely have to still make their own "spider-man" themed movie just to keep the rights under the original contract. Thus they have to dig into the secondary stable of characters for movie ideas. (They even rumored an Aunt May movie).

BananaHands

BananaHands

Can't wait for a young May to appear in Agent Carter.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Would that be possible? I'd assume Melinda May wasn't born until some time in the 60's. Or are we talking "Aunt May" Parker?

BananaHands

BananaHands

Would that be possible? I'd assume Melinda May wasn't born until some time in the 60's. Or are we talking "Aunt May" Parker?
Aunt May.

BananaHands

BananaHands

There's a rumor about Marvel's pitch on Spidey's involvement in the civil war:

In "Captain America: Civil War", Peter is 16 years old and is already Spider-Man. He's living with Aunt May and works at the Daily Bugle. He admires both Captain America, since they were both weak and bullied, and Iron Man, because of his wealth and scientific genius.

Steve sees a lot of himself in Peter, but thinks he's too reckless and needs training. Stark takes Peter as his protege, loves his quips, and even offers him money since Aunt May had to mortgage the house and Jameson is always screwing him out of money, but Peter refuses because he wants to make it on his own as Uncle Ben taught him.

Stark develops a suit for Peter, but Steve believes giving him technology rather than training is dangerous. Stark considers Peter the second fastest hero after Quicksilver, and the Spider-Sense makes him nearly uncatchable.

Peter also has a little crush on Black Widow and mentions another redhead he's into. She thinks it's cute, but kinda' creepy. The other Avengers don't really like Spider-Man because he's annoying and keeps on quipping.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think that's way more Spider-man involvement than we're going to see. I'm expecting a glorified cameo considering Civil War comes out in just a year.

Null

Null

I think that's way more Spider-man involvement than we're going to see. I'm expecting a glorified cameo considering Civil War comes out in just a year.
That seems likely. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a brief mention along the lines of "that kid in the costume in New York" and maybe an appearance in one of the stingers.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That seems likely. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a brief mention along the lines of "that kid in the costume in New York" and maybe an appearance in one of the stingers.
Ooh, good point. His first appearance has to be a post-credits scene, no earlier.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm not really feeling that possibility. It feels a little too "Marty Stu" to me. I'd think it'd be more likely that Peter at a cameo at a press conference on behalf of the Bugle.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They've got time to CG Spidey into Avengers 2 if they cast him fast enough. Just have him show up to fight off an Ultron bot during the climatic battle for a few seconds and then swing off, with Tony and the rest wondering who the hell that was.

Alternatively, the stinger is JJ at the Daily Bugle going through photos of the fighting in New York and he sees an image of Spidey. He takes one look at it and goes "That menace is BACK!". Cut to black.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That sounds like it'd be taking Caps movie and making it about Spider-Man. I don't think Marvel is going to do that. They need to use Civil War to build up anticipation for Black Panther. Spider's role will jot be what it was in the comics' Civil War

Null

Null

Well, it really depends on if they're going to bother with re-doing his origin story AGAIN. If not, then we have to take it as read that he'd be on the radar of the remnants of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers, because of course they'd notice a costumed crime-fighter who regularly appeared in the press.

Ooh, different scene: Steve doing an interview explaining his position to the public, and why he's taking the stand that he is, in opposition to the charismatic and popular Tony Stark. Interview wraps up, the interviewer tells Steve, "You know, I just wanted to take this chance to tell you, that you've been a real inspiration to me." Steve shakes the young journalist's hand and asks his name. Camera pans around to show a young, earnest, somewhat nerdy looking man. "Oh, it's Parker, sir. Peter Parker."

evilmike

evilmike

They've got time to CG Spidey into Avengers 2 if they cast him fast enough. Just have him show up to fight off an Ultron bot during the climatic battle for a few seconds and then swing off, with Tony and the rest wondering who the hell that was.

Alternatively, the stinger is JJ at the Daily Bugle going through photos of the fighting in New York and he sees an image of Spidey. He takes one look at it and goes "That menace is BACK!". Cut to black.
This brings up an interesting question: can they get J. K. Simmons to play JJJ again?

Null

Null

You really couldn't have anyone else do it after seeing that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

JK Simmons is my favorite thing of the first three Spidey films. They even over-used him and I didn't care because he was so perfect for the character.

Celt Z

Celt Z

It seems the MCU is already putting Spider-Man to work:
spidey-work.jpg

Gryfter

Gryfter

The lack of J Jonah Jameson (Specifically Simmons) was one of the things that made me dislike the Amazing movies. He is an integral character in Spidey's life and that he was missing was just one more thing to hate about them.

Null

Null

The bigger thing, of course, is that Sony completely refused to acknowledge what a 1 question survey on twitter would have told them was wrong with Spider-Man 3: too many villains, causing a jumbled plot and not enough development. Which is exactly why Amazing Spider-Man 2 was disliked: too many villains, causing a jumbled plot and not enough development.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think it would really be hard to top Simmon's JJJ. It felt like he came right off the page. And even if it bordered on cartoony at times, I've seen him in enough roles to know he could pull of intimidating and even menacing if they wanted to make Jameson a little darker or realistic. But given the over-all atmosphere of the MCU, I think Simmon's JJJ would fit in perfectly.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Simmon's JJJ, to me, is like Nicholson's Joker. It doesn't really seem possible to bring the character any better, unless by giving it a completely different interpretation (as Ledger did with the Joker, for example).

Null

Null

If they did a dark and gritty J Jonah Jameson, I could totally see Ian McShane doing the role justice (sort of an Al Swearengen meets Rupert Murdoch kind of role).

Bubble181

Bubble181

If they did a dark and gritty J Jonah Jameson, I could totally see Ian McShane doing the role justice (sort of an Al Swearengen meets Rupert Murdoch kind of role).
Ooh, absolutely.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Simmon's JJJ, to me, is like Nicholson's Joker. It doesn't really seem possible to bring the character any better, unless by giving it a completely different interpretation (as Ledger did with the Joker, for example).
Disagree on Nicholson, since he really didn't play the role any different than many other roles we've seen him in. It was just Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson dressed as The Joker.

Ledger, on the other hand, completely disappeared into the role.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Disagree on Nicholson, since he really didn't play the role any different than many other roles we've seen him in. It was just Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson dressed as The Joker.

Ledger, on the other hand, completely disappeared into the role.
Ledger didn't just act like the Joker, he made him his own. The Joker is usually depicted as this clean, powerful figure who can intimidate a room just by walking into that, but Ledger played him completely differently. He made the Joker an awkward, dirty nobody who slowly infects the room with his psychosis until everyone is looking to him to make the call. He's practically a deranged guy on the street at points. However, underneath all that show is someone who isn't just above it all... he's so BEYOND everyday life that he literally needs to rip off mobsters and fight guys in bat suits just to get through the day. He's planned the perfect way to up-end society at all angles and he's only doing it so the world will finally, FINALLY be something he can relate to.

To put it simply, Nicholson played the Joker. Hammel made him a trickster like no other. But Ledger? He made him a force of chaos and now even the comics want to make the Joker more like this.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ledger didn't just act like the Joker, he made him his own. The Joker is usually depicted as this clean, powerful figure who can intimidate a room just by walking into that, but Ledger played him completely differently. He made the Joker an awkward, dirty nobody who slowly infects the room with his psychosis until everyone is looking to him to make the call. He's practically a deranged guy on the street at points. However, underneath all that show is someone who isn't just above it all... he's so BEYOND everyday life that he literally needs to rip off mobsters and fight guys in bat suits just to get through the day. He's planned the perfect way to up-end society at all angles and he's only doing it so the world will finally, FINALLY be something he can relate to.

To put it simply, Nicholson played the Joker. Hammel made him a trickster like no other. But Ledger? He made him a force of chaos and now even the comics want to make the Joker more like this.
Yes, this is what I meant. Ledger portrayed a completely different Joker. Better performance than Nicholson? Eh, one can discuss, I guess. I don't agree that Nicholson just played Nicholson-plays-the-Joker - I'm already afraid of what it'll give if Johnny Depp ever plays the Joker, because I can tell exactly what it'll look like; that would be Depp playing Depp-playing-the-Joker. Ledger just took the character and made it all his own and did something else with it than just play the character, too. Say, for example, Superman. Practically every actor so far has tried to just emulate Christopher Reeves. Reeves really "is" Superman for most people of our generation. I can imagine someone else giving an equally good performance (to be fair, Reeves is a good actor but he's not brilliant), though he probably won't replace the face of Superman in my head. Another actor could somehow portray a completely different Superman and simply make it a completely different character.

Frank

Frank

You know JK Simmons would be up for doing JJJ again too, since he still plays him in all the cartoons and has for the last 10 years.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

JK Simmons was/ is still the perfect J Jonah jameson. You are right, maybe someone could do it better by taking it in a complete other direction, but JK Simmons played JJ EXACTLY how he has been in the comics since the start. It was perfect. A lot of elements from the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies don't hold up today, but JJ is still a bright spot in both of those movies ( there was no third one. Must have been a dream you had or something,)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

JK Simmons was/ is still the perfect J Jonah jameson. You are right, maybe someone could do it better by taking it in a complete other dirrction, but JK Simmons played JJ EXACTLY how he is has been in the comics since the start. It was perfect. A lot of elements from the Sam Raima Spider-Man movies don't hold up today, but JJ is still a bright spot in both of those movies ( there was no third one. Must have been a dream you had or something,)
He still has funny bits in the third one; it's okay to accept their existence.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I dunno, that sounds like it's asking for Trouble.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

TIL Damage Control had a cameo in the first Iron Man. Which means they're MCU canon.

There's rumors of a One-Shot short, but could you get a good two hours out of the folks who clean up after alien invasions and helicarrier crashes?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

TIL Damage Control had a cameo in the first Iron Man. Which means they're MCU canon.

There's rumors of a One-Shot short, but could you get a good two hours out of the folks who clean up after alien invasions and helicarrier crashes?
There's really only one way to do this story: they find something they shouldn't and Hydra decides they'd love to steal it from them. So instead of a balls to the wall action movie like The Avengers, it's a slower paced one like Die Hard where the Damage Control guys have to sneak around, quietly defending themselves and trying to hold back Hydra until Shield arrives and takes it off their hands. The movie basically writes itself.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

There's really only one way to do this story: they find something they shouldn't and Hydra decides they'd love to steal it from them. So instead of a balls to the wall action movie like The Avengers, it's a slower paced one like Die Hard where the Damage Control guys have to sneak around, quietly defending themselves and trying to hold back Hydra until Shield arrives and takes it off their hands. The movie basically writes itself.
The Stan Lee cameo could be the one poor guy who manages to get his car or apartment crunched every other week. The rental agencies now have a "shoot on sight" order out on him. :)

BananaHands

BananaHands

I dunno, that sounds like it's asking for Trouble.
Whenever I'm enjoying life too much, I read that to bring me down.

Null

Null

New character poster for Black Widow from Age of Ultron:

What I find interesting is that my first thought was, "Whomever composed this design must be familiar with The Hawkeye Initiative." Why do I say that? Because it avoids most of the sins of female character posing - indeed, many of the things that Black Widow in particular has been subject to on movie posters.

Here? No blatantly displayed cleavage. No "boobs and butt" pose. Realistic body proportions instead of the "Oh, I seem to have misplaced my organs" distortion.

Also, I like the obvious Stark upgrades to her Stingers and the tron lines, to me, look pretty cool. The texturing on the coveralls gives an impression of kevlar / carbon fiber instead of latex or leather, so it gives the mental impression of toughness and durability instead of kink. Overall, it's a cool upgrade to the character without losing the iconic look.

Tress

Tress

I like it. Now she looks like someone you wouldn't want to mess with in a fight, as opposed to before where she looked ridiculously out of place.

Null

Null

Yeah, she is. She still looks great, but she also looks more heroic and badass, right up with the rest of The Avengers.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

NOW she's ready for Budapest!

bhamv3

bhamv3

NOW she's ready for Budapest!
You and I remember Budapest very differently.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, she is. She still looks great, but she also looks more heroic and badass, right up with the rest of The Avengers.
See, this is what I don't understand. Comic books seem to think that all the cheesecake has to be there for their viewers/readers. I'm of the mind that if a character can be made sexy without the need to overtly sexualize them.

I think the male demographic of the board will agree that Ms. Johanssen is still hot as hell in this picture without having to be jutting out her tits.

Bubble181

Bubble181

So anyway, this thread is labelled "phase 3", in other places as well I've seen some movies and, for example, the SHIELD series, described/separated as "phase 1" and "phase 2". I assume this is a reference to separate eras from the comic books, or some such, but what exactly are the dividing lines? Are they honest-to-God official partitions, or fanmade things based on specific "large" events,...?

MindDetective

MindDetective

So anyway, this thread is labelled "phase 3", in other places as well I've seen some movies and, for example, the SHIELD series, described/separated as "phase 1" and "phase 2". I assume this is a reference to separate eras from the comic books, or some such, but what exactly are the dividing lines? Are they honest-to-God official partitions, or fanmade things based on specific "large" events,...?
My impression is that the Avengers films end each phase. So Phase 3 will start after this year's Avenger's flick.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, the TV seasons seem like they're following the phases of the movies. The first season of Agents of SHIELD were all leading up to the events of Winter Soldier, and it looks like the current season is dealing with the fallout of early humanity's first contact with the Kree, tying in with the more galactic themes of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

anyways, is it just me, or does anyone else have the kind of.... nagging suspicion that Ant-Man is going to completely bomb?

MindDetective

MindDetective

anyways, is it just me, or does anyone else have the kind of.... nagging suspicion that Ant-Man is going to completely bomb?
I have a bad feeling about it too.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I also share this suspicion.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I had a bad feeling about Guardians of the Galaxy, but look how that turned out.

I mean, seriously... a raccoon.

So personally I'm betting that Ant-Man is still going to be decent, at least.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I had a bad feeling about Guardians of the Galaxy, but look how that turned out.

I mean, seriously... a raccoon.

So personally I'm betting that Ant-Man is still going to be decent, at least.
Guardians wasn't a disaster behind the scenes where they had to scramble to find a replacement for just about everyone involved.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

After Wright leaving the project I figure it'll at best end up being just kind of okay like the Thor movies. Dark World had a shitload of issues and wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good either.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think Ant-Man is going to be mediocre, at best. I had doubts of GoTG from the beginning, but always said as long as they leaned into the goofiness of it all, it would be OK. They did, and it was. I'm not seeing that from Ant Man.

Tress

Tress

I have a bad feeling about it too.
Same. The director debacle was the kicker.

But then again, I thought GotG would bomb too.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That. See? Do more of that. No accusing anyone of doing anything. Just joining in on the conversation.

And you're right. It's not looking good. I'm still looking forward to seeing it but it might be the first Marvel film to really fail.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think Ant-Man is going to be mediocre, at best. I had doubts of GoTG from the beginning, but always said as long as they leaned into the goofiness of it all, it would be OK. They did, and it was. I'm not seeing that from Ant Man.
I think the absolute worst thing Ant-Man has done since Wright leaving is that trailer they dropped on us. It's so painfully boring and absolutely nothing save for the one shot of Lang riding the ant stands out.[DOUBLEPOST=1425355843,1425355741][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, the worst part is Lang can be so interesting if they do it right. The current Ant-Man run of comics is really good! Unfortunately there's no telling what we're going to get instead, and whether or not his daughter, Cassie, will be in the movie, as she's basically the main reason all the AM shit happens to him in the first place.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think the absolute worst thing Ant-Man has done since Wright leaving is that trailer they dropped on us. It's so painfully boring and absolutely nothing save for the one shot of Lang riding the ant stands out.[DOUBLEPOST=1425355843,1425355741][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, the worst part is Lang can be so interesting if they do it right. The current Ant-Man run of comics is really good! Unfortunately there's no telling what we're going to get instead, and whether or not his daughter, Cassie, will be in the movie, as she's basically the main reason all the AM shit happens to him in the first place.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Cassie will be in the movie in some way.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think the absolute worst thing Ant-Man has done since Wright leaving is that trailer they dropped on us. It's so painfully boring and absolutely nothing save for the one shot of Lang riding the ant stands out.
Almost like they didn't have enough effects stuff finished to show in a trailer and make it feel dynamic.

I was totally on-board when this was an Edgar Wright project because I keep Scott Pilgrim vs The World close to my heart, but at this point the project has almost nothing go for it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I seem to recall something about his daughter being involved. Unless I'm confusing it with Earth's Mightiest Heroes. But I could have sworn I heard that his daughter would be in the movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1425356042][/DOUBLEPOST]
Almost like they didn't have enough effects stuff finished to show in a trailer and make it feel dynamic.

I was totally on-board when this was an Edgar Wright project because I keep Scott Pilgrim vs The World close to my heart, but at this point the project has almost nothing go for it.
And Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz, and to a lesser extent The World's End.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, SP and the big fight in World's End really made me excited for Wright tackling the way AM could fight.

I seem to recall something about his daughter being involved. Unless I'm confusing it with Earth's Mightiest Heroes. But I could have sworn I heard that his daughter would be in the movie.
I can't remember hearing anything about it one way or the other, but I think the total silence outside of the trailer is pretty telling of how this movie is going to play out.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I have no idea if it's going to be good or not, but it just feels like it's coming too soon after Avengers 2, and Guardians had the lightning-in-a-bottle Pratt thing and still being a space opera type deal. This feels like Green Lantern with a less-bankable star than Ryan Reynolds (saying this with all due respect that Ryan Reynolds is not a bankable star really at all (( sorry Paul Rudd, I love you)) )

Tress

Tress

This feels like Green Lantern with a less-bankable star than Ryan Reynolds (saying this with all due respect that Ryan Reynolds is not a bankable star really at all (( sorry Paul Rudd, I love you)) )
Ugh. That's exactly what it feels like. Yuck.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This feels like Green Lantern with a less-bankable star than Ryan Reynolds (saying this with all due respect that Ryan Reynolds is not a bankable star really at all (( sorry Paul Rudd, I love you)) )
Well said.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think Reynolds might (key word there: might) become a bankable star if Deadpool turns out good. Reynolds has been fighting Fox hard to make it properly, including the non-stop talking and fourth wall breaking.

But yeah, I'd said awhile ago that the Ant Man trailer reminded me way too much of the Green Lantern trailer.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I have the feeling I'm the theoretical target for these movies - that is, I'm geek/nerd enough to know of the heroes' existence and to be interested in a super hero movie, but I don't really know much more about the universe than the "main characters", and I've never really read the comics.
GotG ...well, I went on your recommendations, and because it seemed goofy/fun. The original Iron Man I saw because I wanted a summer blockbuster, and for nothing more. In between, I caught a few on TV, ended up buying the DVD because I wanted to see them, and I saw....errr...I think one other in the cinema (ok, so maybe they're lucky I don't go to the cinema all that often for my type - most friends with similar taste simply go more often, and if I did, I'd have seen most of them in theaters instead of on airplanes or bargain bought DVDs). The premise of Ant Man is a hard sell, and where the trailers of GotG got me thinking "hmm, it might be fun after all", the Ant Man ones have me going "meh, why bother". This is not a good thing.

Frank

Frank

Ryan Reynolds' middle names are Box Office Poison. I don't even doubt his Deadpool will flounder too.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Seeing as the Hawkeye Initiative was mentioned, thought I'd share this.

Male heroes dressed pretty much like women are dressed in comics.

cosplay.jpg

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

View attachment 17633
Fess up. How many times have you already choked the chicken to this? :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seems like a typical Spider-man pose.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Fess up. How many times have you already choked the chicken to this? :p
I'm not a fan of the pretty boys. So, literally none.

I'd be lying if I hadn't looked up Zangief cosplay before, though. :oops:

@Li3n

@Li3n

View attachment 17633

Great, now i'm gay...

Thanks, Bowielee!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Great, now i'm gay...

Thanks, Bowielee!
If I looked like that, I'd find every reason I could to dress like that all the time.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think it's funny that the placement of Spidey and Superman's arm makes Captain America appear to be naked.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think it's funny that the placement of Spidey and Superman's arm makes Captain America appear to be naked.
Who says he isn't. :unibrow:

evilmike

evilmike

Edit: Here is the article in question. It sites overtice.com, which is in Portuguese and so I don't know how reliable it is. But honestly, I believe it just because it kinda makes sense.
Badass Digest is reporting that this has finally been confirmed.

Reportedly, Marvel is in talks with Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, the guys who wrote the three Captain America movies as well as did work on Thor: The Dark World and helped create Agent Carter, to write the project.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm going to be honest here, I thought Agent Carter was boring as shit, so I hope they don't pull anything from that.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm going to be honest here, I thought Agent Carter was boring as shit, so I hope they don't pull anything from that.
Basically all of Agent Carter's appeal comes from the setup: If you didn't care about the underlying premise of exploring what it meant for women to be told they weren't needed in the workforce anymore (especially if what was essentially super hero work at the time) then the show really didn't have a leg to stand on for you. If you did, it's one of the few mainstream works to address the issue. It certainly helped that the show had a lot of returning cast from the Captain America movies and tied up the ends of their relationship with Steve Rogers.

But that's also why I'm a bit wary of it getting a second season. I'd certainly like to see more of Carter but they need to expand beyond the initial premise if they do. It can't ride on JUST the feminist stuff anymore... it needs to tie itself more deeply into the comic world like SHIELD has done. Give me more Golden Age villains... have Carter and what will become SHIELD actually have to deal with some bigger threats and such. Expand the cast. The show needs to be able to stand on it's own.

There's certainly more potential for Agent Carter, but they have to really want to do something with this for it achieve it's full potential.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I did care about the premise, but when you spend 99% of your show on it without doing anything with it save for HEY CARTER GET US A SANDWICH HAR HAR, it's fucking boring.

@Li3n

@Li3n

You guys get bored too easy...

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

A report has come out that one element of the reshoots for Ant-Man is that Scott Lang, instead of being a con man as plot synopses had originally described him, is now being referred to as a "master thief". It may not seem like much, but this suggests they may actually have him start as a full-fledged criminal before becoming a hero instead of just being morally dubious, which was one of the issues that emerged between Edgar Wright and Marvel.

@Li3n

@Li3n

How is a con man not a criminal?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, I think the idea is that as a con man character, they can play him a bit more morally gray his start before he becomes Ant-Man, whereas having him as an out-and-out thief would place him squarely in illegal activity. At least, that's the rationale I suppose they could have had. Apparently, the positive response to Guardians of the Galaxy got the execs more open to how roguish a hero could be, considering the numerous crimes of that lot.

Bubble181

Bubble181

The Mentalist is a con man. Many mentalists/magicians in real life are con men. It's not because you use tricks to deceive that you're necessarily using them for an illegal purpose (though, you'd normally assume one would if the term "con man" is used, I guess)

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well, I think the idea is that as a con man character, they can play him a bit more morally gray his start before he becomes Ant-Man, whereas having him as an out-and-out thief would place him squarely in illegal activity.
Counterpoint: Robin Hood.

The Mentalist is a con man. Many mentalists/magicians in real life are con men.
"It's an illussion Michael, tricks are something a hooker does!"

Seriously, con man at least started out as a reference to tricking people into being defrauded, not as performing magic tricks for (paid) entertainment... at least as far as i recall.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

"It's an illussion Michael, tricks are something a hooker does!"

Seriously, con man at least started out as a reference to tricking people into being defrauded, not as performing magic tricks for (paid) entertainment... at least as far as i recall.
As I said, that's the best rationale I could come up with. Still, cool to hear they're keeping Scott Lang as a criminal at his start.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think... I think this is where this goes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I never understood movie-mystique's whole "Look at me, I'm hideous!" mentality...

Null

Null

Let's see, L to R: Red Skull, Bolivar Trask, Electro, The Destroyer, Emma Frost, Azazel, Nebula, Kyln Guard, The Collector, Venom, Ultron, a Chitauri, Thanos, Loki, Malekith, Magneto, Stan Lee, Curtis Connors (The Lizard), The Winter Soldier, Aldrich Killian, Silver Samurai, Emil Blonsky (the Abomination), Mystique, The Mandarin, Ronan the Accuser, and Laufey. Yondu Udina's arrow is zipping around but I don't see Yondu himself, and Deadpool seems have to left a half-eaten Chimichanga behind.

That's an awesome picture.

Bonus: trophies include Captain America's Shield, Spiderman's glove and webshooter, Baby Groot in a case, Mjolnir, Star Lord's walkman, Iron Man's helmet, and... a slightly bloody Arc Reactor chest implant.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also Hiro's first battle robot (Big Hero 6) is on the floor behind the GotG jail guard for some reason.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also Hiro's first battle robot (Big Hero 6) is on the floor behind the GotG jail guard for some reason.
Well, technically, that robot was the prototype for the microbots that the villain ended up stealing from Hiro. Seeing as this is a Marvel villain collage, it makes sense to have him as it would be hard to actually add in the main villain amongst all the others.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well, technically, that robot was the prototype for the microbots that the villain ended up stealing from Hiro. Seeing as this is a Marvel villain collage, it makes sense to have him as it would be hard to actually add in the main villain amongst all the others.
That's true, and it's probably more recognizable than the kabuki mask.

Tress

Tress

Also, technically Big Hero 6 was originally a Marvel property.

Frank

Frank

Yellowjacket from Ant-Man. He has better Ultron eyes than Ultron does.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I still want an Ironman plot point that Ben Kingsley's character was actually really the Mandarin all along and he was pulling Killian's strings and putting on a drunk act.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yellowjacket from Ant-Man. He has better Ultron eyes than Ultron does.
Gettin' all kinds of Kamen Rider in here.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I still want an Ironman plot point that Ben Kingsley's character was actually really the Mandarin all along and he was pulling Killian's strings and putting on a drunk act.
Actually, the one-shot called Hail to the King addresses the issue of the Mandarin.

It turns out the Ten Rings is a real terrorist organization, there is an actual Mandarin who serves as its head, and he is very pissed at Trevor and Killian for co-opting his organization and his identity.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Red costume for Daredevil

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Posted that over in the Marvel/Netflix thread but yeah, I really like what I can see. Can't wait to dig into the series when it goes live at midnight.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Him just playing with one of his fingers right where a ring would be while telling his ridiculous story to Stark and Rhodes and then disappearing at the end would have worked wonders imo.

Actually, the one-shot called Hail to the King addresses the issue of the Mandarin.

It turns out the Ten Rings is a real terrorist organization, there is an actual Mandarin who serves as its head, and he is very pissed at Trevor and Killian for co-opting his organization and his identity.

They could still work him in, by just having him escorted before an empty throne... with 10 rings right beside it... and when he sees the rings, his eyes light up... BOOM!

Also, the 10 Rings not being real was a silly retcon, why would they make Stark build missiles in the 1st film if they where just a cover for people exploding form extremis?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Also, the 10 Rings not being real was a silly retcon, why would they make Stark build missiles in the 1st film if they where just a cover for people exploding form extremis?
I think the issue was more that some people, after seeing Iron Man 3, would wonder if the Ten Rings had been a real organization since the first film or if it was a fake then. The short just helped to clarify that they were a real organization in the MCU.

Frank

Frank

Been watching a buttload of Vikings and now I'm totally convinced Katheryn Winnick should play Carol Danvers. Though I remember a lot of things said why Katie Sackhoff could not play Captain Marvel, her age mostly and I checked up on how old Katheryn Winnick was and she's older by a few years than Sackhoff. She looks AMAZINGLY young for almost 40.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hell, she looks like a comic book heroine.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I don't see why not. Not everyone has to be in their 20's and she definitely looks the part.

Frank

Frank

She's rad in Vikings.

Null

Null

Katee Sackhoff or Katheryn Wynnick would both be amazing as Carol Danvers.

Bowielee

Bowielee

As long as they write her like the kickass military woman that she is in the comics, I don't really care who they get to play her, as long as she can act.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I don't see why not. Not everyone has to be in their 20's and she definitely looks the part.
She looks way younger then RDJ ever did...

Celt Z

Celt Z

She looks way younger then RDJ ever did...
Well, yeah, and Renner's no spring chicken either. But she doesn't need to look that young. I know most of the time they insist on casting the "ingenue" type ( with the exception of Pepper) but some characters, and definitely Carol, would be better served by casting a slightly more experienced woman.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, yeah, and Renner's no spring chicken either. But she doesn't need to look that young. I know most of the time they insist on casting the "ingenue" type ( with the exception of Pepper) but some characters, and definitely Carol, would be better served by casting a slightly more experienced woman.
A "Dynamite Gal?"

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yes.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

A "Dynamite Gal?"
Dynamite gal

Dynamite gal

Dynamite gal

DYNAMITE GAL

BananaHands

BananaHands

Can't hear y'all over Yvonne Strahovski.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I didn't really watch Chuck. Could she carry a feature film?

Gryfter

Gryfter

I didn't really watch Chuck. Could she carry a feature film?
Well, judging from her stint on Dexter I would say no.... but that could have been the writing at that point.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Well, judging from her stint on Dexter I would say no.... but that could have been the writing at that point.
She was much better in Chuck than in Dexter. I feel like she could shine in a feature.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Can't hear y'all over Yvonne Strahovski.

She'll always be Miranda Lawson to me.

Frank

Frank

This kind of fuckin' bullshit is why I'm so bummed out for my friends with a daughter, who is basically my fuckin' niece, who loves super heroes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This kind of fuckin' bullshit is why I'm so bummed out for my friend's with a daughter, who is basically my fuckin' niece, who loves super heroes.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I wonder if they mean there's no "solo" merchandise for her, like toys/shirts of just her/her logo, etc.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Is that Age of Ultron?

Bowielee

Bowielee

http://www.toywiz.com/scarletwitchallstar.html

http://www.toywiz.com/captwidowultron.html

Action figures for both Scarlet Witch and Black Widow. I don't know what they mean by excluding her from merchandising.

Also:
http://www.toywiz.com/ultronbwidow.html

It's in pre-order, but it's coming.

I think before people start pulling out the pitchforks, they realize that merchandising for toys is usually done through established toy manufacturers, not Marvel/Disney themselves.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I don't think that title says anything like "There is literally no merchandise with Black Widow on it". It says she's missing from Merchandise. As in, there are tonnes of t-shirts and toy sets that include the male Avengers but not Black Widow.
http://butnotblackwidow.tumblr.com/
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyorley/...rs-merchandise-is-seriously-lackin#.jpvG7GZV0
She even got cut from the Samsung themes:
http://www.androidcentral.com/one-avenger-missing-samsung

Dei

Dei

My daughter and I were looking for superhero stuff on Saturday, lots of Avengers AoU toys, nothing with Black Widow. :/

Bowielee

Bowielee

They exist. Whether or not your local toy stores carry them is not the point.

As I just linked above, one of the starting line of toys, which, BTW are available now, is Scarlet Witch and a double pack with Capt. America and Black Widow.

Also, even the article mentions that Hawkeye got similar treatment and hell, I haven't seen ANY Quicksilver merchandise. BW and Hawkeye are kind of in the same tier as far as popularity goes.

I'm all for equal gender representation in merchandising, but this is very pot stirring for the sake of pot stirring, IMO.

Frank

Frank

They exist. Whether or not your local toy stores carry them is not the point.

As I just linked above, one of the starting line of toys, which, BTW are available now, is Scarlet Witch and a double pack with Capt. America and Black Widow.

Also, even the article mentions that Hawkeye got similar treatment and hell, I haven't seen ANY Quicksilver merchandise. BW and Hawkeye are kind of in the same tier as far as popularity goes.

I'm all for equal gender representation in merchandising, but this is very pot stirring for the sake of pot stirring, IMO.
Hawkeye and Black Widow are nowhere near the same in levels of screen time or popularity. Hawkeye was barely in the Avengers.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hawkeye and Black Widow are nowhere near the same in levels of screen time or popularity. Hawkeye was barely in the Avengers.
Supposedly Hawkeye is playing a huge part in AoU, Whedon felt bad that he was mind-controlled for the majority of the movie and didn't do much outside the final battle.

Celt Z

Celt Z

If they make any Black Widow merchandise it's usually short packed or, like listed above, you can only get her if you buy some of the other heroes first. There's not a lot of Black Widow solo merchandise and a lot of the time she's left out of group shots. Plus with her movie crossover appearances, she's had a lot of screen time,so it's not like it's she's a minor character.
Sadly, it's not stirring the pot or just someone's imagination. I read an article written by a woman who works in merchandising, in particular for Marvel franchises, and no matter how much they submit ideas, almost no BW merchandise gets put into production (compared to the other guys). While I wouldn't put BW quite up there with Iron Man or Hulk, the Marvel movies are a huge pop culture phenomenon right now and there are a lot of girl fans who aren't getting a lot of options.

figmentPez

figmentPez

They exist. Whether or not your local toy stores carry them is not the point..
I'd argue that is precisely the point. What gets put on store shelves is part of marketing, and it's pretty clear that getting young women involved in the fandom, or satisfying those who already are fans, is not a priority for any of the companies involved.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'd argue that is precisely the point. What gets put on store shelves is part of marketing, and it's pretty clear that getting young women involved in the fandom, or satisfying those who already are fans, is not a priority for any of the companies involved.
Individual stores make the determination what they stock. If that's the case, go after those stores, but don't say that the toys don't exist, because they clearly do.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Individual stores make the determination what they stock. If that's the case, go after those stores, but don't say that the toys don't exist, because they clearly do.
If you're talking comic book shops, yes. If you're talking Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Nope, they don't decide what stock they get, not as far as I know. Those deals are done nationally, and while they may decide how much Avengers merchandise to stock, I'm pretty sure that they get a standard allotment from the line. Unless someone can show differently, I'm pretty sure that they say they want # number of units for backpacks, shirts ,etc. , and the national deal tells them what styles of each specific unit type they get.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

If you're talking comic book shops, yes. If you're talking Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Nope, they don't decide what stock they get, not as far as I know. Those deals are done nationally, and while they may decide how much Avengers merchandise to stock, I'm pretty sure that they get a standard allotment from the line. Unless someone can show differently, I'm pretty sure that they say they want # number of units for backpacks, shirts ,etc. , and the national deal tells them what styles of each specific unit type they get.
It's called a planogram, and it's done either regionally or nationally, but it is a decision made by the head office. It not only dictates to stores what they get but where they put them. Stores essentially rent retail space to distributors, who pay for better product placement.

At least that's the way it was done at Shoppers, and at Loblaws, and friends of mine can confirm Canadian Tire as well, and I've heard a rant about an American grocery atore chain doing it to. (The rant was from the perspective of a part time merhandiser- planograms suck. Like i said, they are planned by head office, so 90% of the time there isn't actually enough shelf space to fit what is supposed to fit there).

Bowielee

Bowielee

How would these stores benefit from not getting the full set of all action figures offered? I find it highly doubtful that they are refusing to stock the toys I linked. Women have always been represented in all the major toy lines I recall from the 90s on. Marvel has always featured female figures in their toy lines (usually manufactured and distributed by Hasbro).

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=black widow&cat_id=4171_4172

http://search-en.lego.com/?cc=US&lang=2057&q=black+widow+ultron&ns=1&x=0&y=0

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index...&keywords=black widow&origkw=black+widow&sr=1

The claims that these stores don't carry Black Widow toys is patently false.

figmentPez

figmentPez

How would these stores benefit from not getting the full set of all action figures offered?
If we're talking about big chains, then each location doesn't get to say "we want all of the line", all they get to say is "we want 50 units from the line" and corporate gets to decide which units they get. If the national deal decides that Black Widow is only 2% of stock, then that order of 50 units gets one BW doll, and has to order 50 more units in order to get another Black Widow.

Frank

Frank

The only action figure of Black Widow that isn't in some two-pack is a Marvel Legends figure, which are marketed (and priced) for adult collectors.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The only action figure of Black Widow that isn't in some two-pack is a Marvel Legends figure, which are marketed (and priced) for adult collectors.
See my above link. One is still in the process of being created. It is not available yet.

Covar

Covar

Can't speak for young girls, but most the women my age or older I know who are into the Marvel movies are far more concerned with the Chrises or Tom Hiddleston than Black Widow.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Can't speak for young girls, but most the women my age or older I know who are into the Marvel movies are far more concerned with the Chrises or Tom Hiddleston than Black Widow.
A married lesbian friend of mine lusts after Thor mightily. "I don't care that he's a man, he's pretty."

Celt Z

Celt Z

How would these stores benefit from not getting the full set of all action figures offered? I find it highly doubtful that they are refusing to stock the toys I linked. Women have always been represented in all the major toy lines I recall from the 90s on. Marvel has always featured female figures in their toy lines (usually manufactured and distributed by Hasbro).

The claims that these stores don't carry Black Widow toys is patently false.
Non-existant? No. Making easily available? Not at all.
Female figures in action figure lines usually weren't part of the first release of a toy line, or if they were, they would be one or two in the whole order, even if they were main characters.. Sometimes only if a toy line was successful they'd include women in the second releases. It's been like this ever since the Star Wars figures. Princess Leia was one of the hardest characters to get. My dad worked at a Kay Bee and UPS for a while in the late 70's/early 80's, and both my parents were huge action figure hunters (He-Mans, Star Trek, Marvel, you name it.) I can remember being a pre-teen and making the KayBee/Toys'R'Us/Mattel outlets,etc. runs with my mom. IF they included female characters, they were usually gone first or you had to know someone who would put them on the side for you. Hell, I was just at Target this morning, and in their huge Age of Ultron toys section, the only Black Widow represented was in group shots on posters. Forget Scarlet Witch or Maria Hill.
When I was at Toys'R'Us* last week, they had a big display of Justice League figurines based on the New 52 line. They had shelves of everyone, they even had multiple poses for Batman or Superman. Except not a single Wonder Woman, even though she's front and center on the packaging.
Little girls and some adults don't always have the time or means to hunt down short packed figures online or at conventions. It's hard enough being a comic fan without people questioning your "credentials", but the fact that they make fans jump through hoops to find their favorite characters is sending the message "we'll toss you a bone, but you're not really welcome here". It doesn't help that when we do get merchandise, it's either small amounts or assuming we want superheroes to be our boyfriends. (IE: the "I want to marry Batman" shirts at Walmart or the Marvel HERoes line.)

Speaking of which, the article I mentioned earlier:Invisible Women: Why Marvel’s Gamora & Black Widow Were Missing From Merchandise

Frank

Frank

You know, amid me bitching about Black Widow stuff here, DC goes and does this and you know what, my niece is gonna fucking love this. Especially Bumblebee, since even less common than female super hero stuff, is black female super hero stuff (niece is half Jamaican, half whitey McIrishdaughter).

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/0...ership-with-mattel-launch-dc-super-hero-girls

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can't say that I'm in love with the designs for a couple of the characters, but I love the fact that they're doing this. We need some super hero stuff that will actually pass the Bechdel test.

On a completely unrelated note, but back to the thread topic, I've only watched two episodes of Daredevil so far. I'm trying to dole it out slowly like a regular TV show and savor it. Man, the fight choreography is gritty, violent, realistic and awesome.

Covar

Covar

Ah Harley, there's a role model. :rolleyes:

Bowielee

Bowielee

I noticed comments like that in the comments section on the article. I don't get why people are assuming that Harley and Ivy are heroes in this group. Why wouldn't this group of super heroes also have villains? The last thing I think that would be beneficial for this push would be for them to battle shopping and talking about boys. If they're going to market them to girls, I want them to do it as characters, not a collection of little girl stereotypes. I'd find that.... counterproductive to the intent of doing it in the first place.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hey man, that time she used game boys to blow up a shitload of kids to make the dead Joker like her isn't canon, it's cool.

Celt Z

Celt Z

You know, amid me bitching about Black Widow stuff here, DC goes and does this and you know what, my niece is gonna fucking love this. Especially Bumblebee, since even less common than female super hero stuff, is black female super hero stuff (niece is half Jamaican, half whitey McIrishdaughter).

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/0...ership-with-mattel-launch-dc-super-hero-girls

I was reading about this earlier and thought it's a great idea...but please don't slather it in pink, DC. This is also surprising coming from a company that cancelled Young Justice because it was drawing a largely female audience.
I'm assuming Harley and Ivy are included because they're going to focus on villains, too. (Can't really be a hero if there's nobody to stop.) I'm not so sure about Ivy looking like she's from so kind of Tinkerbell/Winx Club-thing, but that's probably the best costume design I've seen on Harley since they stopped using her classic jumpsuit.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This was MY immediate thought. If you're going to market Harley to girls, you need to drop the "crazy stalker/abused girlfriend" angle she has in the comics because little girls are going to be sad as hell when they find out about that shit.

Also, I kind of wish they were using some of these characters differently: Wonder Woman should be the adult role model/mentor to the girls, along side Barbara Gordon as Oracle. Have Selina Kyle be the darker mentor.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This was MY immediate thought. If you're going to market Harley to girls, you need to drop the "crazy stalker/abused girlfriend" angle she has in the comics because little girls are going to be sad as hell when they find out about that shit.
Don't worry, I'm sure by the time DC's done with them, she'll be Pinky Pie in red and black tights.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, I kind of wish they were using some of these characters differently: Wonder Woman should be the adult role model/mentor to the girls, along side Barbara Gordon as Oracle. Have Selina Kyle be the darker mentor.
God do I miss Oracle. Way to get rid of one of the only prominent disabled super heroes besides Daredevil, DC.

Celt Z

Celt Z

God do I miss Oracle. Way to get rid of one of the only prominent disabled super heroes besides Daredevil, DC.
On one hand, her crippling was never meant to be canon, but on the other... yeah, Oracle was awesome. I miss her, too.

Gryfter

Gryfter

On one hand, her crippling was never meant to be canon, but on the other... yeah, Oracle was awesome. I miss her, too.
I think John Ostrander might dispute that. He essentially created Oracle as the living repository of information we know and love and developed the character for over a year in the pages of Suicide Squad before even revealing that it was Babs. No slam to anything that has been done recently, but that was one of the best planned reveals in DC history and it had the complete support and backing of then DC editorial. While Babara getting crippled in the Killing Joke may not have been intended to be canon... the creation of Oracle absolutely was.

Unitl the NU52....

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think John Ostrander might dispute that. He essentially created Oracle as the living repository of information we know and love and developed the character for over a year in the pages of Suicide Squad before even revealing that it was Babs. No slam to anything that has been done recently, but that was one of the best planned reveals in DC history and it had the complete support and backing of then DC editorial. While Babara getting crippled in the Killing Joke may not have been intended to be canon... the creation of Oracle absolutely was.

Unitl the NU52....
I meant the injuries she received in the Killing Joke leading to her Oracle status, not Oracle herself.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

THE HELL? I have no idea how a post from the Shield thread got posted here. I hate Tapatalk.

fade

fade

I hope they don't slather it in pink as @CeltZ said, but I also hope they don't run away from it either. I hesitate to say this, but one of the few societal advantages girls have over boys (and women over men) is greater freedom of personal expression through clothing, hair, etc. While I hope the designers don't feel like these characters have to be frilly and pink, I hope that they let them organically be so if their character wants it.

@Li3n

@Li3n

You do realise you just proved Celt Z's point, right?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Daniel Bruhl has confirmed his part in Captain America: Civil War. He will be playing Helmut Zemo, also known as Baron Zemo.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...play-helmut-zemo-in-captain-america-civil-war

GasBandit

GasBandit

Daniel Bruhl has confirmed his part in Captain America: Civil War. He will be playing Helmut Zemo, also known as Baron Zemo.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...play-helmut-zemo-in-captain-america-civil-war
I always wondered why they called Baron Strucker "Baron Strucker" in EMH, but they shortened Baron Zemo to just "Zemo."

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Separated at birth.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I guess we're finally getting a Black Widow movie...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Fucking nbc.

HEY, NBC, you know Lorne Michaels is CANADIAN, right? Let us watch his fucking show.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I guess we're finally getting a Black Widow movie...

I don't know if that's more funny or sad because it's so on the nose.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Fucking nbc.

HEY, NBC, you know Lorne Michaels is CANADIAN, right? Let us watch his fucking show.
Found a mirror, since they didn't let us in Taiwan watch it either.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Some more cast members have been announced for Captain America: Civil War, with plenty of folks reprising roles. In this case, Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, William Hurt as General Thaddeus Ross, and Emily VanCamp as Agent 13. Martin Freeman will also have a role, but they haven't announced who he is playing.

Also, they have announced a basic plot synopsis. Essentially, after the Avengers have another mission that results in collateral damage, political pressure forces the issue of creating a governing body to determine when and what circumstances require the Avengers. This issue causes some fracturing of the team, while they also deal with the threat of Baron Zemo.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Whoa, General Ross is back? Damn.

While I'm excited for the movies we're getting, I realized today that phase 3 is going to have a bit more than either other phase.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Whoa, General Ross is back? Damn.

While I'm excited for the movies we're getting, I realized today that phase 3 is going to have a bit more than either other phase.
I know. With how little has been happening with the Hulk aside from his film and the Avengers movies, I was wondering if anyone would come back from his film. Cool to hear this is happening.

Honestly, my guess is that General Ross is one of the guys leading the push for that new governing body. Considering his interactions with the Hulk and the events of Age of Ultron, I could see him coming in and pushing for some sort of control over the Avengers.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It really sucks we can't get a solo Hulk movie. Universal apparently has the rights to that and they're not budging.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Lots of folks are showing up in Civil War, more than filmfanatic mentioned.

Terrik

Terrik

And I'm completely optimistic.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That...sounds awfully crowded to me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That...sounds awfully crowded to me.
My concern also. The Captain America movies are among the best of the MCU and I'd hate to see the third one turn into a huge mess.

They've started filming today and Mark Ruffalo says it's still up in the air whether he's going to be in it or not (I'm guessing not, but he still has four or five movies to his contract).

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

My concern also. The Captain America movies are among the best of the MCU and I'd hate to see the third one turn into a huge mess.

They've started filming today and Mark Ruffalo says it's still up in the air whether he's going to be in it or not (I'm guessing not, but he still has four or five movies to his contract).
I hope this one doesn't turn into a mess as well. It's the same writing and directing teams as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, so hopefully it maintains the same quality. At best, I figure most of the characters will have small appearances for their part in the division of this conflict, with most of the focus probably being on a few key figures like Cap, Black Panther, and Tony Stark.

Honestly, my worry is that I hope they manage to balance out the story of the conflict within the superhero community with whatever scheme Baron Zemo will be orchestrating.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I get the feeling MOST of those characters will relegated to cameos, like quick interviews with them or something. Or, say if there were a trial, they'd make appearances on the stand. Not assuming that's going to happen, but an example of the extent of their appearances. They'll probably focus mainly on who was in Winter Soldier, along with Iron Man, Panther, and Zemo. Shouldn't be too crowded, I think, if done right.

Covar

Covar

So the conflict is going to be because the Shield administered Avengers team lacks government oversight?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So the conflict is going to be because the Shield administered Avengers team lacks government oversight?
Well, yes. I suspect there's still a fair amount of public distrust about S.H.I.E.L.D. since the reveal in The Winter Soldier, and the collateral damage in Age of Ultron and whatever the next incident is probably won't be stirring any goodwill about the Avengers. With a mixture of those two, I could see some groups pushing for a governing body that's not a part of either force, to serve as an outside and objective controller.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well, yes. I suspect there's still a fair amount of public distrust about S.H.I.E.L.D. since the reveal in The Winter Soldier, and the collateral damage in Age of Ultron and whatever the next incident is probably won't be stirring any goodwill about the Avengers. With a mixture of those two, I could see some groups pushing for a governing body that's not a part of either force, to serve as an outside and objective controller.

SHIELD also is not a government sanctioned organization, not anymore. And Agents of Shield has shown that even among the new shield, there is still fracturing and distrust.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Avengers was never SHIELD sanctioned. It was vetoed by the world security council and Nick Fury Sneakily got it together himself.
SHIELD was disbanded in Cap 2 and the Avengers work independently now out of Stark's building with his funding, and some level of co-operation from world governments.
The events of AoU could lead you to believe SHIELD is still up and running, but it's really only a small fraction of what it was, and still operates independently from any world government. The world security agency treated them as a terrorist organization until fairly recently.

Bowielee

Bowielee

SHIELD also is not a government sanctioned organization, not anymore. And Agents of Shield has shown that even among the new shield, there is still fracturing and distrust.
I'm pretty sure that's their lead in to Civil War. Like Nick said, I'm sure many of the heroes will be relegated to being soldiers on one side or the other and little more.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hmm ... yeah, I could definitely see General Ross being one of the loudest voices for making a new council that directs the Avengers.

Plus if they drop in a Spider-man cameo like was mentioned a couple months ago, they can have J. Jonah Jameson bitching about just one of these many supers without making a fuss about the rest of them because they don't wear masks :p.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hmm ... yeah, I could definitely see General Ross being one of the loudest voices for making a new council that directs the Avengers.

Plus if they drop in a Spider-man cameo like was mentioned a couple months ago, they can have J. Jonah Jameson bitching about just one of these many supers without making a fuss about the rest of them because they don't wear masks :p.
This just made me realize that a great deal of the Avengers never had secret identities. I think Iron Man and Hawkeye were the only major Avengers who had a secret identity up until more recently.

Vision- that's his actual name and identity
Wasp- Janet has never worn a mask
Ant Man- really only wore the helmet because it allowed him to communicate with the ants, not to conceal his identity. People know he's Hank Pym.
Thor- Thor is just Thor... unless you count back when he had his whole Dr. Blake identity.
Captain America- It's hard to conceal the identity of unfrozen caveman lawyer.
None of the mutants who have been avengers have ever had secret identities (hell, two were former internationally known mutant terrorists).
Wonder Man- he was a goddamn Hollywood actor.

Null

Null

This just made me realize that a great deal of the Avengers never had secret identities. I think Iron Man and Hawkeye were the only major Avengers who had a secret identity up until more recently.

Vision- that's his actual name and identity
Wasp- Janet has never worn a mask
Ant Man- really only wore the helmet because it allowed him to communicate with the ants, not to conceal his identity. People know he's Hank Pym.
Thor- Thor is just Thor... unless you count back when he had his whole Dr. Blake identity.
Captain America- It's hard to conceal the identity of unfrozen caveman lawyer.
None of the mutants who have been avengers have ever had secret identities (hell, two were former internationally known mutant terrorists).
Wonder Man- he was a goddamn Hollywood actor.
Yeah one of the nice things about the MCU is getting rid of that whole "secret identity" artifact (for the most part) so that Civil War doesn't have to spend half it's time delving into that, instead focusing on the more interesting core issue of security vs freedom / responsibility vs anarchy. There is a very valid point that heroes like Cyclops or Hulk or Human Torch can cause enormous amounts of collateral damage, even unintentionally, if they lose control for even a moment. Hell, for that matter, Iron Man is an alcoholic egomaniac with self-destructive tendencies who fucked around with energy-weapon equipped power armor at a crowded party. So it's not unreasonable that there be some oversight to try and limit the damage heroes can cause, or at least to keep track of them, just in case. After all, who do they answer to? Who *should* they answer to? And who's responsible when one of them goes too far? But by the same token, these are individuals who, time and again, have stepped up to protect innocent people against threats beyond the scope of conventional means. When push comes to shove, these people have chosen to be on the side of the angels, so to speak. Don't they deserve to be able to live their lives without being monitored like a rat in a habitat? And by putting some agency over them, are you not then making them tools of that agency instead of heroes in their own right? It's a valid question about superheroes, and if it can focus on that instead of the whole "secret identity" issue, it'll make for a good follow up to Winter Soldier.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

AoU Spoiler
Hulk's rampage and disappearance at the end of AoU will be a huge point of order for the registration act. And it will be what brings Ross to the forefront of the side pushing for it.
("You mean to tell me you are NOT currently tracking Dr. Banner's whereabouts? Are you INSANE?!")

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

AoU Spoiler
Hulk's rampage and disappearance at the end of AoU will be a huge point of order for the registration act. And it will be what brings Ross to the forefront of the side pushing for it.
("You mean to tell me you are NOT currently tracking Dr. Banner's whereabouts? Are you INSANE?!")
He'd totally say that even after it's explained that they can't because Banner took the stealthiest of stealth jets.
[/quote]

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

He'd totally say that even after it's explained that they can't because Banner took the stealthiest of stealth jets.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah that wouldn't even matter to him. But also
they found what they thought was the wreckage at the end of AoU but Black Widow was like "nah bro, let him be" and Fury was like "cool beans". So it is kind of really irresponsible.

Frank

Frank

It's too bad we'll never have this kind of thing:

Well, hopefully not involving anyone from Agents of SHIELD because, blech (also, fuck Damon Lindeloff).

But a spy movie (like Winter Soldier was more of a political thriller) with Black Widow having to deal with Black Widow 2 would be fucking awesome.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Gah, hate it when an "artist" has a gun fire the shell and all out of the barrel.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Gah, hate it when an "artist" has a gun fire the shell and all out of the barrel.
FWOCKA-FWOCKA-FWOCKA

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Or an out of time and place weapon in the media. The pilot for Forever had the character murdered in 1805ish with a Colt revolver. The gun was 70 years wrong.

Later in the season it was retconned into a flintlock, then overlaid the pistol over the revolver in the flashbacks.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Or an out of time and place weapon in the media. The pilot for Forever had the character murdered in 1805ish with a Colt revolver. The gun was 70 years wrong.
Hey, sometimes that's actually a plot point in some things.
EDIT: John Ratzenberger was in this???

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

But that's 65% more bullet per bullet!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Looks like Brock Rumlow will finally go all-in as Crossbones in Captain America: Civil War.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Holy shit that is awesome.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I approve.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Crossbones? Bleah. I feel like they have better options. But I'll reserve judgement until I see some footage. Hopefully, they'll change some of this background, at least the rape stuff.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... why does he have a gun or a knife when it would be physically impossible for him to use them unless he takes off his gauntlets?

Celt Z

Celt Z

... why does he have a gun or a knife when it would be physically impossible for him to use them unless he takes off his gauntlets?
Aw, crap... who let Rob Liefeld be a consultant on this one?!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Crossbones? Bleah. I feel like they have better options. But I'll reserve judgement until I see some footage. Hopefully, they'll change some of this background, at least the rape stuff.
Well, Baron Zemo is also in the film. I'm guessing Crossbones will be his main henchman, hankering for another round against Captain America.

As to his knives and guns, I'm guessing that the bars on those gauntlets can pull back the big metal portion, allowing him to switch between wielding weapons or throwing hard punches.

figmentPez

figmentPez

He's also got a pistol, and... shotgun shells? Are those used to power his robo-fists or something?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Outside of Zemo, Red Skull and Winter Soldier, I can't think of a more perfect representation of Cap's Rogues Gallery than Crossbones. I mean, do we really want Flag Smasher? I sure don't. Maybe it's because I read Cap pretty religiously in the 90s where Crossbones was almost his primary villain, but I don't see this as a "lesser" pick of all of his enemies.[DOUBLEPOST=1431716214,1431716180][/DOUBLEPOST]
He's also got a pistol, and... shotgun shells? Are those used to power his robo-fists or something?
I'd assume the robo fists are retractable.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tacticool.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I suppose the shotgun shells could be AMMO for his punches... like he's got Ballistic fists or something.

I'm hoping we get more Batroc the Leaper too... he didn't die in Cap 2 and he'd make a good henchmen.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I would assume they're just going with his part in CA:The Winter Soldier as background, this movie is packed enough as it is.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I suppose the shotgun shells could be AMMO for his punches... like he's got Ballistic fists or something.

I'm hoping we get more Batroc ze Leap-air
FTFY

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, I doubt they'll bother to delve into his background any more than "he was this guy in Cap 2"

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Look... when your power is basically being REALLY good at jump kicking people in the face, you gotta have a bit of fun with it. It's just good sense.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Like I said, I'll reserve judgement until I see footage, because Marvel hasn't let me down yet. But Crossbones isn't one of those characters I'm all that excited about reviving. I felt like he suffered the same flaws that villains of late 80's/early 90's creations, like Bane and Venom, did: overly 'roided physique boringly deck out in almost entirely black, over-the-top violent with very little to offer personality-wise. He may have "looked" the epitome of villainous at the time, but his appearances didn't do anything for me.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

His "fists" have hydraulics, so I would assume they're also retractable. He's not superpowered, so if he's going to fist-fight Cap he needs something more than bare-knuckles.[DOUBLEPOST=1431719435,1431719305][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I should point out, if I remember right,
Crossbones is the one who sniped Cap in the Civil War comics.

PatrThom

PatrThom

do we really want Flag Smasher? I sure don't. Maybe it's because I read Cap pretty religiously in the 90s where Crossbones was almost his primary villain, but I don't see this as a "lesser" pick of all of his enemies.
I'm holding out for Taskmaster.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I honestly want Taskmaster to be a Deadpool thing, because they have the best banter.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I honestly want Taskmaster to be a Deadpool thing, because they have the best banter.
Because then Deadpool can defeat Taskmaster through a deadly game of Simon Says.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Tacticool.
Completely unlike his comic incarnation.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Actually, Taskmaster may be over at Fox with the Deadpool rights. Not sure if he was included in the Mutants/Deadpool package.[DOUBLEPOST=1431732454,1431732318][/DOUBLEPOST]
His "fists" have hydraulics, so I would assume they're also retractable. He's not superpowered, so if he's going to fist-fight Cap he needs something more than bare-knuckles.[DOUBLEPOST=1431719435,1431719305][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I should point out, if I remember right,
Crossbones is the one who sniped Cap in the Civil War comics.
You are correct, well partially.
He sniped cap, but it was Sharon Carter who actually delivered the killing blow, she was mind controlled at the time.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Actually, Taskmaster may be over at Fox with the Deadpool rights.
Didn't he start off as an Avengers villain?

If they can use Wanda and Pietro in both X-Men and Avengers i really doubt they can't use Tasky...

Frank

Frank

Where a character started off in no way matters to licensing these characters.

Otherwise Wolverine would be A-OK for Marvel movies.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Didn't he start off as an Avengers villain?

If they can use Wanda and Pietro in both X-Men and Avengers i really doubt they can't use Tasky...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/102138-exclusive-joe-carnahan-on-taskmaster-and-preacher

The rights APPEAR to be with Fox. So, he may appear in the Deadpool movie/franchise, but not at Marvel.[DOUBLEPOST=1431763043,1431763009][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah, Wolvie started out in The Hulk.

Bowielee

Bowielee

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes I have the issue. :)
And you're right, I think the program was called "Weapon X," not Logan himself.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yes I have the issue. :)
And you're right, I think the program was called "Weapon X," not Logan himself.
I thought that Logan was the tenth experiment of the Weapon program. And looking it up, it seems I was wrong. Though it was the tenth Weapon Plus program, Logan wasn't it's only experiment (which I should have known, because I knew that Deadpool was a Weapon X experiment, duh.)

In any case, The Hulk fought Wolverine long before any sort of Weapon program came into comic book canon.

PatrThom

PatrThom

In any case, The Hulk fought Wolverine long before any sort of Weapon program came into comic book canon.
Yes, because HULK IN CANADA BORING, ONLY SMASH TREES AND SNOW. HULK NEED OPPONENT. Hey, let's just invent some guy to throw at him and give him a Canadianesque name because comics. We'll retcon anything important later. Little did they know.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I thought that Logan was the tenth experiment of the Weapon program. And looking it up, it seems I was wrong. Though it was the tenth Weapon Plus program, Logan wasn't it's only experiment (which I should have known, because I knew that Deadpool was a Weapon X experiment, duh.)

The whole "tenth experiment" thing was introduced during Morrison's run on X-Men, I believe.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Sure, but that's just a one off appearance, while Taskmaster has been all over the place, and i doubt that he's been that much of a part of Deadpool, like Wolvie has been part of the X-Men...

Bowielee

Bowielee

Sure, but that's just a one off appearance, while Taskmaster has been all over the place, and i doubt that he's been that much of a part of Deadpool, like Wolvie has been part of the X-Men...
Still has zero bearing on who legally has the rights to put Tasky on film. It would appear that Fox has that right, not Marvel Studios.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm pretty sure in Wolverine's original incarnation, he was a super evolved wolverine made by the high evolutionary, and his claws were attached to his gloves.

I could be wrong, but that sounds dumb enough to fit old comic origins.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm pretty sure in Wolverine's original incarnation, he was a super evolved wolverine made by the high evolutionary, and his claws were attached to his gloves.

I could be wrong, but that sounds dumb enough to fit old comic origins.
That was an origin that was kicked around the Marvel offices, but was luckily dismissed prior to Wolverine ever appearing.

Frank

Frank

I'm pretty sure at some point, the High Evolutionary was part of every character's origin.

PatrThom

PatrThom

fade

fade

It's a shame about the Taskmaster's show rights. He's probably got one of the coolest power sets, and one I've always wanted for myself. They ripped him off for Heroes, but never did much with that character.

@Li3n

@Li3n

They ripped him off for Heroes,
Where did they rip him off in Heroes? Then again, i don't seem to remember half the powers they had... damn that show went downhill fast.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Where did they rip him off in Heroes? Then again, i don't seem to remember half the powers they had... damn that show went downhill fast.
Teenage girl in New Orleans after Katrina. She only had a short arc before they wrote her off. I think this was during the Writer's strike seasons.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Was she involved with kid who talks to telephone?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yes.

It was during the lowest point of heroes. She beat up a couple of thugs and that was pretty much all she wrote.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You mean Mica/Rebel? Yeah... but at the same time, they basically had to write him off the show too.

Too bad about Peter's lost in time/space Irish girlfriend.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Tilda Swinton is in talks for Dr. Strange to play the Ancient One.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/444345-tilda-swinton-in-talks-for-marvels-doctor-strange

Tress

Tress

I've been wrong about this sort of thing before, but...

Are audiences going to be receptive to having magic introduced to their MCU movies?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Are audiences going to be receptive to having magic introduced to their MCU movies?
Thor's basically magic already, considering Asgardian tech is so advanced MCU humans can't conceive how it works.

tegid

tegid

I think so. I'm relatively sensitive to that sort of thing (magic can bother me when it doesn't fit the setting), but it doesn't bother me here at all, as long as it's presented correctly.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Aren't the infinity stones basically magic?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aren't the infinity stones basically magic?
Sort of, they're kind of couched in a quasi-scientific "they're power sources we don't understand and studying them is teaching us some crazy new scientific stuff" explanations.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Asgardians, infinity stones, and Wanda were all explained away with scientific (or at least science-y sounding) explanations. That makes them more compatible with the tone of the MCU. For example, in Thor 2 Jane Foster was able to manipulate the Aether's teleportation using her science. Wanda was explicitly described as having neurological enhancements to give her telepathy and telekinesis.

If they don't give a similar science-y explanation to Doc Strange, it might feel really out of place.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Mjolnir, however, continues to be unabashedly magic.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Asgardians, infinity stones, and Wanda were all explained away with scientific (or at least science-y sounding) explanations. That makes them more compatible with the tone of the MCU. For example, in Thor 2 Jane Foster was able to manipulate the Aether's teleportation using her science. Wanda was explicitly described as having neurological enhancements to give her telepathy and telekinesis.

If they don't give a similar science-y explanation to Doc Strange, it might feel really out of place.
Strange is straight-up magic, though. Always has been, always will be. If they try to make it a science thing it basically destroys everything about the character that makes him so powerful. His enemies are magic-based, as are his powers and closest allies.

Wanda was never magic anyway, though, she's always been a Mutant and/or augmented.

bhamv3

bhamv3

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."

Wait hang on, wrong Arthur C Clarke quote...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Strange is straight-up magic, though. Always has been, always will be. If they try to make it a science thing it basically destroys everything about the character that makes him so powerful. His enemies are magic-based, as are his powers and closest allies.
It would be fucking awesome as hell if the REAL Mandarin showed up during the Dr. Strange movie... or Ant-Man/Civil War gets a stinger/foreshadowing where Tony is reading reports about someone taking on the Ten Rings through means no one can identify.

Maybe... or it could just have an onboard AI inside of it that allows it to read and judge the worth of anyone who tries to pick it up, using zero point energy manipulation to give it the ability to alter it's specific gravity... which would allow it to fly or be unmovable (without breaking anything it's resting on) as it desires. I couldn't even guess how it manipulates the weather to cause storms (unless it can affect atmospheric pressure) but the ability to call down lightning would be childs play compared to making and maintaining a tornado.

It's all certainly within the range of scientific possibility, if not likelihood.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It would be fucking awesome as hell if the REAL Mandarin showed up during the Dr. Strange movie... or Ant-Man/Civil War gets a stinger/foreshadowing where Tony is reading reports about someone taking on the Ten Rings through means no one can identify.

Maybe... or it could just have an onboard AI inside of it that allows it to read and judge the worth of anyone who tries to pick it up, using zero point energy manipulation to give it the ability to alter it's specific gravity... which would allow it to fly or be unmovable (without breaking anything it's resting on) as it desires. I couldn't even guess how it manipulates the weather to cause storms (unless it can affect atmospheric pressure) but the ability to call down lightning would be childs play compared to making and maintaining a tornado.

It's all certainly within the range of scientific possibility, if not likelihood.
But they didn't write any of that for the MCU. Remember, SHIELD had time to cordon off and study the hammer before Thor found his way to it in New Mexico. They couldn't make heads or tails of it in any fashion. But all of the infinity stones earth has come into contact with has been at least partially manipulated or explained with science.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I don't believe they've explained with science, but tried to use science to define the stones. They're trying to explain something they don't understand in terms they do understand, doesn't mean that they're actually explaining it.

I think magic will be fine, not saying Majik would be though, with the path they are currently following.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't believe they've explained with science, but tried to use science to define the stones. They're trying to explain something they don't understand in terms they do understand, doesn't mean that they're actually explaining it.

I think magic will be fine, not saying Majik would be though, with the path they are currently following.
Majik is tied pretty closely to X-Men, at least in the last year or two (plus being Colossus' sister), so who knows what company has the rights to her.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I was just having a little fun with words there, since I had to consciously decide to spell the word "magic" instead of "Majik." Fox has her rights. along with almost every other mutant out there.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Strange is straight-up magic, though. Always has been, always will be.
Same could be said for Thor, and it worked out okay for him to have at least some science mixed in. Not to say Thor does not have it's own magic in the MCU. Look at what Loki can do whenever he wants, having nearly undetectable illusions. That isn't science I can tell you that, because A) He is not Asgardian, he learned the skills from his adopted mother Frigga, so that rules out hereditary power and B) He was able to use the abilities in prison, which means it was not some external gadget they likely would have taken from him. It is just magic.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Same could be said for Thor, and it worked out okay for him to have at least some science mixed in. Not to say Thor does not have it's own magic in the MCU. Look at what Loki can do whenever he wants, having nearly undetectable illusions. That isn't science I can tell you that, because A) He is not Asgardian, he learned the skills from his adopted mother Frigga, so that rules out hereditary power and B) He was able to use the abilities in prison, which means it was not some external gadget they likely would have taken from him. It is just magic.
I mentioned it earlier, but there are some cases (Ultimates, I think?) where Asgard was just a technological powerhouse. The science used to grant their powers was so far advanced from Earth's that it was magic to Earthlings.

Null

Null

The other Asgardians (Heimdall, Sif, etc) repeatedly mention that Loki is "quite gifted with magic". So while most Asgardian magitech is just sufficiently advanced technology, Loki's abilities seem to be something else.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I mentioned it earlier, but there are some cases (Ultimates, I think?) where Asgard was just a technological powerhouse. The science used to grant their powers was so far advanced from Earth's that it was magic to Earthlings.
Does not change my point though. The original Thor, since his creation back in the 1960s, was magical. There have been more recent alternate runs (Ultimates, MCU) that successfully played with the idea of magitech, and no one really complained.

Be aware, I am not talking Strange using Iron Man technology here or becoming some genetic mutant, it could be something small in the origin, like we learn the Ancient One gained much of his (or in this case, her) knowledge starting from old Asgardian texts. Using some of this knowledge, the Ancient One was able to create rifts through space into other unknown "realms", which gave them access to powerful beings like the Octessence. Once communication was opened, the members of the Octessence showed the Ancient One (and later Steven Strange) how to invoke powers that they bestow on the Sorcerer Supreme or other favored beings. Strange decides to push this further to find other dimensions with other patron beings, only to stumble on the Dark Dimension and Dormammu. It's still in the end magic and occult, but the origin is based on quasi-science. (the closest other parallel I can think of to what I mean is Hellboy)

They could even tie it all back to Thor if they decide to have any cross-over (for instance, we could learn much of the magic Loki uses is bestowed by a tenuous connection of Ikonn).

@Li3n

@Li3n

vDid they change Illiana's name? Because i recall it being Magik, with no J.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Marvel Studios has announced a science contest for girls ages 14-18 known as the Ant-Man Micro-Tech Challenge.

http://www.ant-manchallenge.com/

Here are the details:
The challenge invites girls nationwide, ages 14 – 18, in grades 9-12, to design and build a DIY project using at least one readily available micro-technology component, which can enable tinkerers, makers, builders and future Imagineers to execute big ideas with a board that fits in their pocket and costs less than a video game. The projects can be utilitarian, artistic or just plain fun.

After completing a project, applicants will be asked to submit a short video demonstrating the project and explaining how it will inspire other girls to pursue interests in science, technology, engineering, or math.

The five winners will each receive: Two round-trip tickets to Southern California, including hotel accommodations, from June 28 through June 30, 2015, to be on the red carpet at the World Premiere of Marvel’s Ant-Man at the Dolby Theatre in Dolby Atmos on June 29, 2015; attend a special “The Evolution of Technology” workshop on June 30 at The Disneyland Resort where they will meet Walt Disney Imagineers who will introduce them to the broader scope of technology and how innovation is inspired during a behind-the-scenes tour of The Disneyland Resort; and receive a tour of the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California.

Upon completion of the challenge, a STEM-based girls program in each winner’s hometown will be selected to receive “re-create” instructions for each project. Each winner will have the opportunity to lead a workshop in building her project with the girls in the selected program in her community. By sharing their work, the winners will accomplish big things from small beginnings by inspiring other young girls to follow their interests in computing, technology, and engineering.

Entries will be accepted from May 21, 2015 through June 11, 2015.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Deadpool's showing up in Civil War!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The Punisher will be in season 2 of Daredevil. Jon Bernthal has been cast.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/24699/jon...the_netflix_original_series_marvels_daredevil