[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

Totally different topic, but should we perhaps make a new Phase 4 thread? I know the title says "And Beyond" but I kinda like having a nice, clean new thread for the new phase. Especially when it's gonna be a doozy with variants running around.

Totally different topic, but should we perhaps make a new Phase 4 thread? I know the title says "And Beyond" but I kinda like having a nice, clean new thread for the new phase. Especially when it's gonna be a doozy with variants running around.
I think that’s a good idea!

Vincent Price or Christopher Lee as Baron Mordo
Robin Williams as Madcap
Leonard Nimoy as the Living Tribunal
Cicely Tyson as Misty Knight
James Garner as Booster Gold
Agnes Moorehead or Jessica Tandy as Aunt May
Katharine Hepburn as Sue Richards
Robert Mitchum as Tombstone
Julius Carry as Cloak
Debbie Reynolds as Dagger
Manute Bol as Daddy Longlegs
Carolyn Jones as Emma Frost

--Patrick
Alan Rickman as one of the Loki variants.

Thing is, too, a lot of the roles aren't going to "big" names. Hemsworth, Evans, Pratt, Larson, Boseman, Holland, and now Simu Liu. Popular actors you could find in other popular things, perhaps, but not an actor that was ever really on a "billion dollar movie leading star" level. Even RDJ wasn't a big name when he took on the role. Iron Man was something of a comeback for him after cleaning up, so even hiring him was a risk at the time. If anything, the role that they've been hired for made them a "big" name today.
Oh I agree here. Many of the bigger older actors that have come in have been side characters or villains, like Michael Douglas, Kurt Russel, Sylvester Stallone, etc. I think that might be why they don't get some of the more, well, pretentious actors, the ones that wouldn't ever sign onto a movie without it being all about them. Fiege usually goes for newer blood for his main characters because it gives more gravity to the character. Chris Hemsworth IS Thor, but get someone like Tom Cruise and it would be Tom Cruise playing Thor. There is a huge difference in feel from that.

Oh I agree here. Many of the bigger older actors that have come in have been side characters or villains, like Michael Douglas, Kurt Russel, Sylvester Stallone, etc. I think that might be why they don't get some of the more, well, pretentious actors, the ones that wouldn't ever sign onto a movie without it being all about them. Fiege usually goes for newer blood for his main characters because it gives more gravity to the character. Chris Hemsworth IS Thor, but get someone like Tom Cruise and it would be Tom Cruise playing Thor. There is a huge difference in feel from that.
You can see that happen exactly with some of Warner Bros choices in hiring. Ben Affleck as Batman being the biggest one. I've never actually watched any of what he's been in, but oddly enough, he does seem to do a good job in the role. But the problem is, because he's a big name in the same league as Tom Cruise, it's hard not to just see him as Affleck.

You're right that the bigger names (by comparison) are more in supporting or one-time roles. This might sound weird, but I thinking just having them adds a little prestige to the movies. Like, you get Sir Anthony freaking Hopkins as Odin and you can't get a more perfect casting.

I’d argue about RDJ not being a household name before Iron Man.
It's...debatable. He was a known actor, to be sure. Certainly bigger than Hemsworth and Evans. But was he a franchise-carrying level actor at that point? I'm not entirely convinced on that. I don't know his career all that well, but I don't think he was a lead role in anything major, at least on the same level as Iron Man, before that. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a great movie, but I wouldn't say it was a "big summer blockbuster" kind of movie.

I’d argue about RDJ not being a household name before Iron Man.
I...I'm assuming you're kidding? The guy was a headliner before the 80's were over. He was considered a bankable rom-com actor. He starred in a bunch of hit movies. He won an Oscar for Chaplin. Hell, by middle school anyone my age (around here, anyway) knew who he was. People used to wonder if he was related to Morton Downey, Jr., who was rather notorious at the time. Now, granted, his career took a huge hit in the late 90's with his drug bust and it wasn't until Iron Man he was considered a bankable star again, but he was a A-lister for a good amount of time. Hell, that was WHY his drug bust was such a big deal.

No, I was arguing that the statement that RDJ wasn’t a household name was patently false. He was famous before IM, and I’d argue that he was probably the biggest “name” among the MCU leads, prior to Avengers.

I...I'm assuming you're kidding? The guy was a headliner before the 80's were over. He was considered a bankable rom-com actor. He starred in a bunch of hit movies. He won an Oscar for Chaplin. Hell, by middle school anyone my age (around here, anyway) knew who he was. People used to wonder if he was related to Morton Downey, Jr., who was rather notorious at the time. Now, granted, his career took a huge hit in the late 90's with his drug bust and it wasn't until Iron Man he was considered a bankable star again, but he was a A-lister for a good amount of time. Hell, that was WHY his drug bust was such a big deal.
That's sort of what I meant, honestly. He WAS a big star, but his career took a major nosedive and he wasn't really "bankable" for quite awhile. He was starting to recover his name value when he signed on for Iron Man. It was part of his "comeback tour." Iron Man put him BACK into high standing.

He was a big star back in the 80s, yeah, but man was that drug bust a hard fall for him. He went from getting offered tons of work to becoming a random joke on the Simpsons. I remember long ago when I watched A Scanner Darkly, and RDJ showed up for about two minutes, it felt so surreal because his career had basically disappeared for years by that point.

As talented as he is, we can't deny he got lucky that his portrayal as Tony Stark turned into such the iconic role it became, because that was probably his last shot at resurrecting what he lost. It also allowed him to sort of go into the role fresh, many of the kids that were watching Iron Man didn't know who he was, so they imprinted that he was "Tony Stark", rather then just a world famous actor playing a new role as Tony Stark.

He was a big star back in the 80s, yeah, but man was that drug bust a hard fall for him. He went from getting offered tons of work to becoming a random joke on the Simpsons. I remember long ago when I watched A Scanner Darkly, and RDJ showed up for about two minutes, it felt so surreal because his career had basically disappeared for years by that point.

As talented as he is, we can't deny he got lucky that his portrayal as Tony Stark turned into such the iconic role it became, because that was probably his last shot at resurrecting what he lost. It also allowed him to sort of go into the role fresh, many of the kids that were watching Iron Man didn't know who he was, so they imprinted that he was "Tony Stark", rather then just a world famous actor playing a new role as Tony Stark.
Hell, there was a barrage of jokes at his expense when it was announced.

"A self-important rich jackass with a substance abuse problem? Gosh, that won't be much of a stretch!"

It certainly helped that his own life experiences (especially in regards to drugs and alcohol) where things that he could bring to the table for Stark, who has always had substance abuse problems. He was basically made for the role.

I feel that Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was the step up he needed to land Iron Man in the first place. Yes they were still taking a big chance with him on Iron Man, but he probably would not have been on their radar if not for KKBB.

For me, it was (individually) Pretty In Pink, and around the same time, Weird Science/Back to School. But shortly after, me and my girlfriend discovered Less Than Zero.