London Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are some of the fittest people in the world... They should broadcast that shit.

Who wouldn't want to watch Michael Phelps breaststroke his way through the Australian volleyball team?

We're a very nationalistic nation," Webb said of America. "But we've also lost over time that jingoistic feeling.

Anyone else read the end of that like the Righteous Brothers song?

And Durex takes that shit seriously.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ahem:

You know, the good old days Fox wants back...
If we had the kind of national motivation today that we did then, the last 11 years would have been a very different story. In the 1940s, America was in war mode at home and abroad - in a war we and our allies very well stood an excellent chance of losing. This middle east kerfluffle, by comparison, barely rates. Like the whiteboard said, "America is not at war, the US Marine Corps is at war. America is at the mall."

Unfortunately, these days the civilians holding the leash on the military are the same ones who protested it during Vietnam, and their contempt for the nation is only exceeded by their abhorrence of its military. The kid gloves aren't allowed to come off, and there's a "journalist" embedded with every unit so that CNN can gleefully broadcast the latest atrocities commited by 18 year olds with CFS exacerbated by the hampering and scrutiny.

"Slap a jap with war bonds" is nothing to apologize for in context. We were attacked - not by the nationless cowards we chase today, but by a nation, a government, a people unified. The freedoms my countrymen hold to sit in their aeron chairs and speak of their national shame comes from the unrepentantly motivated animus of their grandparents. And anyone who holds up that comic as something to be ashamed of, or apologize for, can lick the day-old sweat off my balls, because fuck them.

If we had the kind of national motivation today that we did then, the last 11 years would have been a very different story. In the 1940s, America was in war mode at home and abroad - in a war we and our allies very well stood an excellent chance of losing. This middle east kerfluffle, by comparison, barely rates. Like the whiteboard said, "America is not at war, the US Marine Corps is at war. America is at the mall."

Unfortunately, these days the civilians holding the leash on the military are the same ones who protested it during Vietnam, and their contempt for the nation is only exceeded by their abhorrence of its military. The kid gloves aren't allowed to come off, and there's a "journalist" embedded with every unit so that CNN can gleefully broadcast the latest atrocities commited by 18 year olds with CFS exacerbated by the hampering and scrutiny.

"Slap a jap with war bonds" is nothing to apologize for in context. We were attacked - not by the nationless cowards we chase today, but by a nation, a government, a people unified. The freedoms my countrymen hold to sit in their aeron chairs and speak of their national shame comes from the unrepentantly motivated animus of their grandparents. And anyone who holds up that comic as something to be ashamed of, or apologize for, can lick the day-old sweat off my balls, because fuck them.
oh my god

oh my god
The context here Charlie is that America had to fight Japan. There is no way at that point in time that America & Japan could have hashed out a peace treaty. And if you have to fight someone you don't want to humanise them, to acknowledge the way they're just like you. You accentuate the differences, play up every way that they differ from you, turn them into a caricature. Because if you don't your soldiers might not fight as hard, the people back home might not give their full support, and you might lose the war.

And let's not forget this wasn't a war that America wanted, this was one that was forced upon them. At any other time that comic would be horrendous, in that time, under those circumstances it was almost a neccessity. That's an unfortunate truth to face, a horrible truth to acknowledge. Still the truth though.

in retrospect, I probably should have worded that "looked back on in scorn in the future, when they're dead"
I'm not sure that's any better. I can't think of any single generation who's collective misdeeds merited them scorn as a whole.

I could understand saying, "I look forward to the day when this generations beliefs regarding issue X is universally found to be a poor choice" but painting an entire generation with a broad brush for one majority held belief is extraordinarily shortsighted. What scorn will the generation that buries you heap upon you for the one or two misheld beliefs you currently possess but do not know are inherently bad? Do you feel you should be scorned fully for one thing you may believe in, when perhaps 90% of your other beliefs are shared the generation scorning you?

It just seems very inconsistent with your usual stance against painting any group with a broad brush, and instead trying to humanize individuals struggling through life. Aren't the people of the generation you scorn also human beings worth more than just the one fault you found in them? Is looking forward to the day when they are dead along with their morals and ideas really different than wishing them dead now?

The last 4 Olympic games, every time, over 16 free condoms per athlete were given out in the Olympic villages, and there were shortages every time.
It's practically worth starting to compete in some silly sport like carbine shooting (har!*) or whatever, just to get a shot at those Olympic athletes. Of course, you'd probably end up with the female weight lifters or something....

As for that comic; plenty ofthose around. Times change, times' morals change. Sensitivities change. While it's OK to look back at another time period and go "what the hell were they thinking?", it's dishonest to look at them and say they were "bad people" (there were, of course, bad people in all time periods) for some commonly held belief. There's a difference between (for example) someone who thought a woman's place was at home, looking after the kids, in 1910, and someone thinking the same in 2010. To contrast further, consider that back in, say, 1800**, it was the good guys who thought black people could be "educated" and "rise" to the level of their white counterparts - the bad guys thought they were hopelessly inferior anyway and missionary work was effectively useless. These days, we'd consider both positions to be horribly backward***.

*I'm laughing because this would be a "funny" choice of sport for me as a generally anti-gun person. I'm not mocking the sport itself, which I'm sure asks a lot of the people participating.
**Not meaning this as a specific time period, and I may exagerate for effect.
***Some of us might not, but they're horribly backwards themselves.

Everyone's upset over the officiating, claiming the match was rigged for the Americans. I didn't watch it, because I don't really care about soccer or anything in the summer Olympics (I didn't even get to see Mary Spencer's fight- which was the only thing I did care about- and she lost). Also my internet went out Saturday night and I didn't get it back until today so even if I had cared to watch it I couldn't have.

But Since nobody will shut up about it, I've seen clips of the supposed rigged calls, and I've read about the arguments both from Canadians and Americans, and it just seems to me like the officiating was BAD, not rigged, just BAD. And it's seemed to me since these Olympics started that my country's turning into a bunch of sore losers, who are expecting Canadian athletes to deliver like in Vancouver, forgetting that Canada has ALWAYS done better at the Winter Olympics than the Summer ones, and that the COC's goal for these games was to crack the top 12, which was considered by many to be overly ambitious. But people want us to take another number 1 spot, or to take more gold medals, and are so frustrated by what they are perceiving as underperforming, that they've taken to childish cries of "NOT FAIR NOT FAIR!".

I think this particular instance is aggravated somewhat by the Canadian coach and players, who have made some choice words to the media about it. I don't know about the rest.

If we had the kind of national motivation today that we did then, the last 11 years would have been a very different story.
Actually i found it quite amazing that Bush managed to squander all those 9/11 brownie points in just 8 years...

The kid gloves aren't allowed to come off, and there's a "journalist" embedded with every unit so that CNN can gleefully broadcast the latest atrocities committed by 18 year olds with CFS exacerbated by the hampering and scrutiny.
Right, those embeddings aren't just a PR move by the army and atrocities totally get reported by the press, that's why wikileaks isn't considered a threat by anyone.

"Slap a jap with war bonds" is nothing to apologize for in context. And anyone who holds up that comic as something to be ashamed of, or apologize for, can lick the day-old sweat off my balls, because fuck them.
Yes, gods forbid you fight an enemy without dehumanizing him on a grade school level...

GasBandit

Staff member
Actually i found it quite amazing that Bush managed to squander all those 9/11 brownie points in just 8 years...
Oh, any compassion we were getting from the rest of the world was gone within 3 years, not 8.

Right, those embeddings aren't just a PR move by the army and atrocities totally get reported by the press, that's why wikileaks isn't considered a threat by anyone.
That's some charlie level delusion right there. The military WANTS embedded journalists from military-hostile media sources? What a laugh.

Yes, gods forbid you fight an enemy without dehumanizing him on a grade school level...
Simple, catchy and quick. Call it grade school if you want, it got results. And we didn't have a monopoly on dehumanizing our enemies, either. I seem to recall reading all kinds of demeaning charicatures from nearly all the major players in that war and pretty much every war.

But people want us to take another number 1 spot, or to take more gold medals, and are so frustrated by what they are perceiving as underperforming, that they've taken to childish cries of "NOT FAIR NOT FAIR!".
Hey, just take a look at Custio Clayton.

Status
Not open for further replies.