London Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, got to watch the first matches today! More tomorrow! Open Ceremonies on Friday!! I love the Olympics, so much sport in just a few days. Gotta love Tivo during these events.

"With so many Africans in Greece, at least the mosquitoes of West Nile will eat homemade food!"

Could someone explain to me how that's racist? It may be in bad taste, but I don't actually see a racist quality in it. There's a large influx of Africans in Greece lately; there's also concern because West Nile mosquitos (which carry more dangerous diseases than European ones) have been appearing all over Europe lately. Both originate in Africa. Saying the one biting the other is "homemade food" isn't racist; it's a commentary on immigration policies. It's not talking about people who immigrated before (I can see how calling 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants still "African" would be racist), it's not saying they're to blame for it, it's not saying....well, anything negative about African immigrants.

Granted, she's a known right-winger; it's the kind of joke you might not want to make if you're representing your country in the Olympics. But...as far as I can tell...It's not technically racist. Or even all that insulting. It can be seen as (and was meant as) a commentary saying there are too many African immigrants in Greece...which may or may not be the case, but is still a valid political opinion.

So? she trains her whole life to jump far for her nation, then writes one stupid thing... And it was not anything inflammatory. just stupid.[DOUBLEPOST=1343267188][/DOUBLEPOST]that was not to bubble

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't cared about the Olympics since 1992. The entire affair nauseates me with its hypocrisy, corruption and superciliousness. And the last ones in China definitely didn't help.

The point is that on some level, you represent your employer (or in this case, nation), regardless of whether you're saying it as that representative or not.

To what extent your employer is cool with what you say is solely between your employer and you (which is why I keep my stupid shit to 1) a minimum and 2) in places that are specifically not linked to anything containing my real name).

Now in this case? Seems a bit harsh, honestly. It was definitely inappropriate considering her status, but I wouldn't be surprised about other athletes saying stupider (or full-blown racist) shit at one point or another.

Don't care about the Summer Olympics at all. Except that this year I'm rooting for Mary Spencer in the Women's Boxing events.
But other than that

I don't give much for the whole ruckus and politics involved with the Olympics, but I like watching the events simply because the best respective athletes from all over the world are competing against eachother. I usually watch the swimming, track running, fencing and tennis events, even though I don't particularly keep up with the first three sports outside of the Olympics.

I heard that during the opening ceremonies one of the music tracks that will be played is God Save the Queen.

Mind you, it won't be the hymn that we are all familiar with, but version recorded by the Sex Pistols. That made England sound like a Fascist Dystopia. The queen should be there too. I hope they catch her on camera when the insults start.

I heard that during the opening ceremonies one of the music tracks that will be played is God Save the Queen.

Mind you, it won't be the hymn that we are all familiar with, but version recorded by the Sex Pistols. That made England sound like a Fascist Dystopia. The queen should be there too. I hope they catch her on camera when the insults start.
Considering they've played it for her live, in her own garden, I think she's used to it by now :-P

I haven't cared about the Olympics since 1992. The entire affair nauseates me with its hypocrisy, corruption and superciliousness. And the last ones in China definitely didn't help.
When you look past all that, it can still be enjoyable to observe the raw human power and ability of the athletes.

Yes, it can sometimes feel like digging through a whole bag of pebbles for the one m&m you know is in there, but it's not the m&m's fault, and it'll still be tasty if you can ignore the pebbles.

The way people can vault themselves around in gymnastics, move through the water like fish, and even sprint around a track on bicycles is simply amazing in its own way.

1984 was the last Olympics that I remember turning on the set and seeing actual sports coverage at any time of the day. Now it is all "Up Close And Personal, with Jim McKay." Well not with him any longer.

They've figured out that Olympic fans will watch them regardless, and their focus groups show that if they add the personal story in between heats they can attract a whole group of people that like that.

But, you know, this and commercials are why the DVR exists.

from the interview said:
How do you feel about the "Flying Squirrel" nickname Ellis Coleman gave himself?
Flying squirrel remind me of Ultimate Warrior because he a little rat when he jump in ring like that idiot Jose Canseco or Mel Gibson. I would never respect the squirrel because the squirrel have no [expletive].
Amazing.

If you want actual athletic competition with your human drama, you'd be better off with the NBC Live Extra app or watching any NBC Universal channel but your local NBC station. The broadcasts on the main NBC network, especially the primetime, will be heavy on the Up Close and Personal.

IIRC, theweb site for the 2008 games offered raw video of competition with just the ambient arena sound, no commentary whatsoever. Once the actual games start I will give the app on my iPad a check to see if they're doing that again this year.

I'm looking forward to the basketball. A lot of countries look like they'll be able to challenge the US this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.