London Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just hoping against hope that this time around the broadcasters focus some little bit of their attention on covering the actual events instead of all of the human interest garbage that they've been devoting all of their coverage to for the past decade or so. Is it amazing that this athlete came from a broken home and had to teach himself to read at the age of 15 using discarded condom wrappers and pill bottle labels because his single mother was too drunk and high all the time to ever see that he made it to school regularly, and that the only reason he made it to the Olympics is because he was running from a street gang that wanted to string him up because his now-prostitute mother was working their turf when a running coach happened to drive by and see how good a runner the kid was?

Sure it is. I guess. But damnit, I want to watch the biggest sporting event in the world (this year) and that means I'd like to actually see at least one of the events.
I read that in Bob Costas's voice and it was incredibly compelling.

Dave

Staff member
Just watched the opening ceremony and it was excruciating. It might have been okay if the announcers would have shut the fuck up and they would have run it without the annoying commercial breaks.

They haven't even gotten to the Cs in the Parade of Nations (on the NBC feed... everyone else was done hours ago). Screw it, I'm going to bed and letting TiVo take it from here.

The best part of the opening ceremonies for me was Rowan atkinsons bit playing the single note during chariots of fire.

I do agree that the commentators are commenting wayyyyyy too much.

"Here is (insert drummers name here) that has been deaf since 11 years old playing for the world... blah, blah, blah ,blah..." can't hear the drums because you two idjits won't shut the hell up!

I don't care what anyone says - Sir Paul rules.

Uh, what happened to the Emile performance of "Abide With Me"?

Eurosport > ESPN. Eurosport 2 > Eurosport.
NOS 3 > Eurosport. Gotta love those crazy Dutchies who manage to air these thigns with succint, to the point commentary every other couple of minutes :p

Annd... confirmed. The NBC Live Extra app just gives you the video feed of the events with ambient sound, sans inane commentary. :)

Just found a digital channel that I didn't have last week that is re-showing the Opening Ceremonies without any commentary. Recording it so that I can actually hear those drums.

Dave

Staff member
Fuck you, NBC. Thanks for making the Olympics nearly unwatchable in the United States.

Let's start with the horrible coverage of the Opening Ceremonies. I get it. The viewing public in the United States are unwashed, uneducated morons who don't know anything about anything. That's why you needed the constant yammering of idiots to tell us exactly what was going on at all times instead of just letting us watch and enjoy the spectacle. You turned something that could have been culturally relevant and worthwhile into something boring and more like an episode of morning TV - which none of us wanted.

Now let's move to the actual sporting events that are on television. Okay, we get it - Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte have a rivalry. But the coverage isn't all about them. There are 10,500 Olympic athletes (give or take) and we'd like to see more than just them. Oh, I understand we can see other things if we switch to Bravo or (MS)NBC or other channels, but you don't bother showing the whole matches, only snippets before you break away for your next "human interest" biopic. Fuck that.
So I went online and to my wife's iPad (I don't have one and am insanely jealous) and downloaded the app. Here, I thought, I'd be able to watch the events that aren't mainstream and shoved down my throat. Wrong. Each time you try and watch something they throw in an advertisement anywhere from 15-30 seconds. I can't tell you how many times they said something was live and after suffering through the same fucking ad the video showed an error and told me to pick something else...which meant watching the same stupid ads AGAIN!!

So fuck you, NBC. I wanted to watch the Olympics and I guess I can if I like swimming, gymnastics or the Dream Team. Oh, you wanted to watch Badminton? Better DVR that shit because we're only showing it at 5 am and on a channel in the mid-thousands. It's like the Where's Waldo of sporting events.

Fuck you, fuck you millions of ads, fuck the incessant rambling of announcers who tell us things that mean nothing and add nothing, fuck your not letting US choose what we want to watch and when. You think we're dumb? You think we don't KNOW the technology is already in place to allow us to watch anything and everything we want? But no, instead of giving us what we want you force-feed us what you think we'll watch the most and slather it with ads and stupidity.

tl;dr:

Fuck you, NBC.

B

BErt

You'd think that with as much as they were pimping the Phelps/Lochte rivalry, that at least I'd be able to watch THAT live without having to go to the iPad app...

Their coverage isn't just selective, it's confusingly so.

They want the big matchups for the evening coverage, so you can know the result, but have to wait to see the action.

Dave

Staff member
Don't need to watch it. I got a CNN news alert that gave me the result already. Not that I wanted it or anything.

That's the main thing I can't stand with internet news reporting victories/stories as soon as it happens. It totally ruins the enjoyment of the broadcasts for me.

You know, one of these days some company is going to offer live streaming sports coverage for less than $80 a month for any event you want to watch, and they're going to make a killing. And that will be the day that I officially cancel my cable TV subscription, since that's all I use my cable for. Unfortunately, right now you have to pay $60 - $80 just for MLB streaming, and god help you if you want to watch anything else legally.

That's the main thing I can't stand with internet news reporting victories/stories as soon as it happens. It totally ruins the enjoyment of the broadcasts for me.
Sooo... People aren't allowed to spoil the end of a race, anywhere on the internet, until the USA tv shows can be assed to show it? It's not the 'nets fault your TV channels are shitty and feel the need to broadcast things hours afterwards.

Sooo... People aren't allowed to spoil the end of a race, anywhere on the internet, until the USA tv shows can be assed to show it? It's not the 'nets fault your TV channels are shitty and feel the need to broadcast things hours afterwards.
The main complaint, here, is that the television networks that aren't showing the events until later are the ones that are spoiling the outcomes.

Dear parents, some day your child may become a fantastic and gifted athlete and inspire millions of children across the world with their abilities, so don't name your kid Destinee Hooker. :facepalm:

The main complaint, here, is that the television networks that aren't showing the events until later are the ones that are spoiling the outcomes.
They're not spoiling jack. The event was run and it's now over. Every other country in the world broadcasted it live (safe to assume). It's not their fault NBC isn't one of them. ESPN and CNN have an international audience. It's on you to avoid getting "spoiled", not them.

Besides, there's an entire section of America that can get the live feed if they're close enough to the border to receive Canadian broadcast TV.

Considering that they are trying (NBC here in the states) to keep the audience in "suspense" because they are showing the matchup during their evening recap show, yes they are spoiling it when their own sports and news service send out messages that give the result away. That's the bitch that I'm getting from everyone, NBC sucks.

I personally think that they should go to more of a SportsCenter type show and really just do highlights. Show the stuff live here in the States, let us record it with the dvr and watch all we want to watch of our preferred sports. Show the human interest crap on there too.

My other gripe is the after event interview, crap it's bad. "So Micheal Phelps, how does it feel to not win a medal in an event for the first time?" AHHHHHHHH! :aaah:

When NBC themselves are posting the results online in real time, no one has any standing to bitch about their competitors. If you don't want to know what happened when NBC is bogarting the footage, it's on you to avoid the news, not on them to keep quiet.

I'm not avoiding the news. I'm pointing out how stupid the coverage is for NBC to keep something off the air (to boost that evening ratings number and be able to charge more for advertising) and then turn around and give all the information that you want on their various websites and apps. That's shooting yourself in the foot, it's counter to the strategy to make the evening recap into an event itself.

I'm using an Olympic app that has everything in real time and then go and find the coverage I want from my Tivo after I get home from work.

When those news sources are based in the USA, it is a dickish move.

The dickish move is embargoing the coverage until six hours later when 7/8 of the world already saw it live. You don't want to know? There's a rock with the NBC peacock on it and a TV underneath it.

My problem right now is trying to find events I want to watch.

And for crying out loud, a six hour difference between here and the UK is nothing. Just look at what people on the West Coast have to deal with when there's something going on in the Atlantic states.

Status
Not open for further replies.