London Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't know everything about it, but I thought the 88 olympic team was horribly coached, and did we every really care about the other events?

Once more, however, the United States failed to take home a medal in three sports where it has never medaled.

What, you think I'm going to tell you which three? Go look it up. :p

Once more, however, the United States failed to take home a medal in three sports where it has never medaled.

What, you think I'm going to tell you which three? Go look it up. :p
Table tennis, Handball, and Badminton are not sports. They're something you do at a family reunion.[DOUBLEPOST=1344827697][/DOUBLEPOST]
Interesting philosophical question: if the US isn't good at a sport, does it really qualify as a sport?

Hey hey hey! You take back your statement about Curling this instant!

Well I don't know everything about it, but I thought the 88 olympic team was horribly coached, and did we every really care about the other events?
John Thompson was a good coach, but with a team whose only future headliners were David Robinson, Mitch Richmond & uh... Dan Majerle. What was unfortunate was that the US lost to Russia that year, but even had they won that game, the Yugoslavian team most likely would have crushed them as well.

As for the other events, we never really cared about them until we started losing them.

Did anyone attempt to acquire Olympic feeds from outside their "exclusive" area? (i.e. watching BBC instead of NBC and so on)

By 2016, the technology should be there for the viewer to take what they want instead of accepting what Dick Ebersol would allow you to have.

With Rio being one hour ahead of NY, there will be less time for the news to give away medal results before the viewers can watch them on the Prime Time delay.

Dick Ebersol has done his last games, so hopefully the up close and personal era is dead and buried. If enough viewers revolt against the delay and overall tone of the broadcast it can be.

With Rio being one hour ahead of NY, there will be less time for the news to give away medal results before the viewers can watch them on the Prime Time delay.
However, please don't post any results until the events have been aired in prime time in Europe, 7hours later. TYVM. ;)

Anyway, badminton shuttles go almost twice the speed of tennis balls during a smash (badminton shuttle can easily go over 300 kph and even over 350. Women's tennis rarely sees balls over 180 kph, men go somewhat faster). It may look silly (certainly so), but at a high level, it really is pretty hard.
Handball is like soccer with your hands. So, Lacross without sticks, really.
Table tennis is awesome as a sport, we used to get medals there :p

Dave

Staff member
I stopped watching the Olympics pretty soon after NBC started messing things up. I didn't even bother trying to watch the closing ceremonies and I'm glad I didn't.

I stopped watching the Olympics pretty soon after NBC started messing things up. I didn't even bother trying to watch the closing ceremonies and I'm glad I didn't.
They were pretty neat, though. Except Jacques Rogge, our IOF President and Belgian, who kept looking as though he was attending the funeral of someone close but unliked.

Fucking Jessie J (whoever the hell she is) singing in place of Freddie Mercury... What the hell?!?!?

It is frightening when a female "singer" can not hit the high notes that a male tenor could hit, and still went out in front of a billion people to sing.

Fucking Jessie J (whoever the hell she is) singing in place of Freddie Mercury... What the hell?!?!?

It is frightening when a female "singer" can not hit the high notes that a male tenor could hit, and still went out in front of a billion people sing.
True enough. I thought she had a good voice, but she was no Mercury. I'm glad she didn't just try to copy his performance but tried to do her own thing with his song, though.

Team Handball =/= Handball as most Americans think of it.

Team Handball is a hybrid of soccer and basketball - which is partially the reason why no one in America plays it. And, it was essentially a Nordic-Baltic sport, which meant that the only ones who played it were teams in Germany, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.

So to follow up in the NCAA-makes-no-sense category:

Missy Franklin has been facing a tough decision since winning 4 golds & a bronze at the olympics. She wants to go to college, and while there, she would like to swim for their swim team. However, in order to remain eligible, she is not allowed to accept any money for endorsements. This means bypassing an estimated 7-figures worth of endorsements & sponsorships should she choose to remain an "amateur" by NCAA standards.

However, NCAA guidelines allow her to accept the typical stipends paid by the USOC & USA swimming to medal winning athletes - $25K from the USOC, $75K from USA Swimming - so $200K for the individual golds + a share of the money for the relay medals. But the real kicker - the NCAA will NOT allow her to accept a $50K bonus from USA swimming for setting a new world record in the 200m backstroke.

Honestly, easy decision for me. No better time to capitalize on fame & success than now. How much money honestly is there to be made in professional swimming? It's just frustrating that the NCAA seems to be winging it as they go with no real rhyme or reason.

Yeah, I don't see why she would need to go to college until her swimming career is over. And even then, she probably could just be a swim coach.

The whole amateur / professional thing is pointless now anyway. These athletes are making a living doing what they do. They a dedicating the majority of their time right now to the sport.

It's ridiculous to make them jump through hoops to maintain this farce of a distinction which has no real purpose or meaning any longer.

My Mentor Teacher when I went through Student Teaching, had a son who played for Notre Dame. The kids knew that her son's education was really important to her. They would try to goad her by asking what she would feel if her son dropped out of college to join the NFL draft, or what would happen if he got hurt playing in the pros. Her answer always was... "A NFL signing bonus can pay for many years of college tuition."

Yeah I don't understand why anyone would stay in school when they have a multimillion dollar contract staring them in the face.

Yeah I don't understand why anyone would stay in school when they have a multimillion dollar contract staring them in the face.
He actually did turn down the opportunity to enter the NFL early. I think being a 4 year starter for Lou Holtz mattered more to him than the chance at that signing bonus that year. And he still played for about 13 years total. He had a couple of games in Canada, a retirement, then came back for 5 years and Pro Bowl start.

The whole amateur / professional thing is pointless now anyway. These athletes are making a living doing what they do. They a dedicating the majority of their time right now to the sport.

It's ridiculous to make them jump through hoops to maintain this farce of a distinction which has no real purpose or meaning any longer.
It serves the purpose of making the schools money while not having to provide the student athletes with any kind of fair compensation.

I would say the vast majority of college athletes are incredibly overpaid. Yeah Matt Barkley is worth more than the $40000 or so scholarship, but is the third string right guard worth that much? What about the swim team, or really any athlete that isn't on the football or mens basketball team? Going to a true free market system would help a few players a ton, but would be terrible for 99.9% of possible athletes.

Dave

Staff member
I really enjoyed this event. I am swimming lover. Michael Phelps my favorite plyer. He again perform very well in this evnt. A achievements in the event he has owned for 11 years would have made him the first man in history to win three subsequent 200m butterfly titles. Great player!!!
My wife loves him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.