How To Properly Eat a Burger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
you also skipped the "Y" sound, though. That double LL *IS* pronounced.
No I didn't. Tor-TEE-uh. The EE-uh is bridged with a Y sound and slurs into the preceding I.

Tortilla = Tor-TEE-uh.

Tortia = TORT-yuh (or more likely, TOR-shuh).

No I didn't. Tor-TEE-uh. The EE-uh is bridged with a Y sound and slurs into the preceding I.

Tortilla = Tor-TEE-uh.

Tortia = TORT-yuh (or more likely, TOR-shuh).
Dude, that's skipping the LL sound. If you're "slurring" you're mispronouncing, JCM-wannabe ¬¬

Tortilla = tor-TEE-yah. That's the first sound in "yes", or even better, the sound in "jar", YAH. Think the sound of a cartoon karate chop. Hi-YAH!

Maybe a j would be better than a Y, but that's jarring (yarring?) to my bilingual brain.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dude, that's skipping the LL sound. If you're "slurring" you're mispronouncing, JCM-wannabe ¬¬

Tortilla = tor-TEE-yah. That's the first sound in "yes", or even better, the sound in "jar", YAH. Think the sound of a cartoon karate chop. Hi-YAH!

Maybe a j would be better than a Y, but that's jarring (yarring?) to my bilingual brain.
What you don't understand is that the english speaker (perhaps merely the southern english speaker) is also incapable of connecting most any two vowel sounds without injecting a y between them.

What you don't understand is that the english speaker (perhaps merely the southern english speaker) is also incapable of connecting most any two vowel sounds without injecting a y between them.
That doesn't mean you didn't skip a sound, you just can't pronounce it :p

We still say Mex-e-can.

Or the county that San Antonio is in, Bexar. Out-of-towners call it bex-ar, locals call it bear, and foreign Spanish speakers try to call it bey-Har.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'll go one on one with ANY English pronunciation you throw my way, ese.
Only because our language and pop culture dominate the world, so you've been forced to learn it no matter where you look. That's no challenge.[DOUBLEPOST=1359152500][/DOUBLEPOST]
I found Hey-sus in prison. A whole bunch of them...
"And when they nail my pimpled ass to the cross,
I'll tell them I found Jesus, that will throw them off.
He goes by the name Hay-soos and steals hubcaps from cars.
Oh, Hay-soos, can I borrow your crowbar?"

How about a definition for Torta?
That depends on whether you're in Spain or Mexico. Kinda like "biscuit" for UK and US.

A torta in spain is this:

In Mexico, it's this:

Funnily enough, those were literally the top 2 results, side by side, in an image search for "torta" in my Google.

Soo... what kind of bread would be most appropriate for a Mexican torta? I hear people using ciabatta all the time, but I'm not a huge fan of it, and using a hamburger bun seems sacrilegious somehow.

Half the time that I go into Taquerias in Texas and order a Torta, they just assume that I don't know what I'm ordering and give me tacos instead. :mad:[DOUBLEPOST=1359152686][/DOUBLEPOST]
Soo... what kind of bread would be most appropriate for a Mexican torta? I hear people using ciabatta all the time, but I'm not a huge fan of it, and using a hamburger bun seems sacrilegious somehow.
It is just a baguette.

I mean, technically I suppose the preferred thing to do would be to go to a paneria, but we don't have one of those around here.[DOUBLEPOST=1359152927][/DOUBLEPOST]
And this all started with a burger cut in half...
Well, if nothing else, this thread has inspired me to do some semi-serious cooking this weekend, once I get my kitchen cleaned and get my mead started.

If I'm out with my best friend, and I order a Torta, he asks me what the hell it is. I tell him "you're the Hispanic, you tell me." Then he orders the Crispy Tacos.

I think a waiter called him a coconut when he ordered those.[DOUBLEPOST=1359153025][/DOUBLEPOST]
I mean, technically I suppose the preferred thing to do would be to go to a paneria, but we don't have one of those around here.[DOUBLEPOST=1359152927][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, if nothing else, this thread has inspired me to do some semi-serious cooking this weekend, once I get my kitchen cleaned and get my mead started.
This thread sent me out to get a Chimiganga for lunch.

It's not a baguette.

It's a bolillo. I don't think you have those exactly.

Baguette:

Bolillo:

Bolillos are a bit softer than baguettes, but we also have another even softer bread which is what you see in the torta pic I linked called telera:

But teleras aren't as good in my own biased central-mexico opinion. They're softer but barely have a taste. Good for something like a torta de pastor (oh yeah, a taco and a torta have a baby and you get that), but not so much a ham torta.

Hmm... mayhap now would be a good time to order that professional baking book off of Amazon and a good kitchen scale to go with it.

Bolillos are labeled baguettes here, and we call baguettes "french bread."
Odd. Up here in the north, what we call "french bread" is a soft bread, usually without much crust, that's much wider and shorter than a baguette; and almost no one sells bolillos, unless you go to an upscale grocer.[DOUBLEPOST=1359153348][/DOUBLEPOST]
hahaha, that's weird to read, down here it's literally just "a tampiqueña", saying "carne asada a la tampiqueña" sounds kinda like saying "noodle pasta".
It still drives me insane when chili makers label their cans "Chili con Carne with meat and beans."

Down here Wal-Mart and Krogers carry them, but they just label them wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1359153449][/DOUBLEPOST]
It still drives me insane when chili makers label their cans "Chili con Carne with meat and beans."
Down here the old timers still say "THE RIO GRANDY RIVER."

Odd. Up here in the north, what we call "french bread" is a soft bread, usually without much crust, that's much wider and shorter than a baguette; and almost no one sells bolillos, unless you go to an upscale grocer.[DOUBLEPOST=1359153348][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh that's entirely marketing as well, friend. Chili is barely even tex-mex, it's almost 100% american, I think the settlers of Texas were the ones that started making it, but it's ridiculous to call it "chili" when it's MEAT, that's how you know it's not a spanish term. Down here it would literally be a "meat soup". It's a 100% imported food.

Oh that's entirely marketing as well, friend. Chili is barely even tex-mex, it's almost 100% american, I think the settlers of Texas were the ones that started making it, but it's ridiculous to call it "chili" when it's MEAT, that's how you know it's not a spanish term. Down here it would literally be a "meat soup". It's a 100% imported food.
Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that it's actually Mexican food, just that redundant redundancy annoys me.

I think the Canary Islanders that settled San Antonio are the ones that started making Chili con Carne. South Texas has a lot of chilis and cattle. So the dish made sense.

Oh yeah, while we're at least barely on the topic, can one of you Texans link me to (or post) a good recipe for Texas Red? Something an actual blue-collar working man would eat? I haven't had good chili in about a decade now.

Status
Not open for further replies.