Export thread

How To Properly Eat a Burger?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I've been wondering about this for a few months now, ever since me and my folks started visiting restaurants that serve burgers. And I mean proper restaurants, not fast food places. Y'know, places with knives and forks, and food served on plates rather than cardboard boxes.

The thing is, we have different opinions as to what is the proper restaurant-fashion to eat a good burger. My parents essentially lift the top of the bun, and then dissect the rest of the burger with knife and fork. Me, I once heard it is proper to cut the burger in half and eat one of the half at a time by hand.

Any advice?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Grasp entire burger gently but firmly with both hands.

Raise burger to face.

Seek out a point of entry that will minimize chances of a blowout on the opposite side.

Om nom nom.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

I've been wondering about this for a few months now, ever since me and my folks started visiting restaurants that serve burgers. And I mean proper restaurants, not fast food places. Y'know, places with knives and forks, and food served on plates rather than cardboard boxes.

The thing is, we have different opinions as to what is the proper restaurant-fashion to eat a good burger. My parents essentially lift the top of the bun, and then dissect the rest of the burger with knife and fork. Me, I once heard it is proper to cut the burger in half and eat one of the half at a time by hand.

Any advice?
Grasp entire burger gently but firmly with both hands.

Raise burger to face.

Seek out a point of entry that will minimize chances of a blowout on the opposite side.

Om nom nom.
Yeah, it's fine to eat a burger with your hands at pretty much every restaurant that serves burgers. Super swanky restaurants usually don't serve burgers (I'm talking suit and tie places).

Cajungal

Cajungal

It's a hamburger. Do what you want!

Gusto

Gusto

Fuck that burger up by any means necessary.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

A long as at the end of the day it doesn't look like this:

4l9wu28784.jpg

You'll be fine.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Cuttong it in half is really only for convenience if it's a large or hard to hold burger. Otherwise, do what everyone else has said, eat it however the fuck you want.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I slice my burgers too, if they are too large to fit comfortably in my pie hole. It also cuts down on the fixins blowing out of the back.

strawman

strawman

Grasp the burger firmly, with thumb and pinky on the bottom, and three fingers on top. Use pinky and ring fingers to compress the side away from your gaping maw preventing toppings from spilling out. If burger is too large to correctly hold in this manner, place on plate and press firmly with palm until burger size is adjusted. Allow toppings and sauces to spill during this process, do not be timid.

Once the correct hold is achieved, move the forefinger and thumb away from your gaping maw, exposing some of the remaining burger for consumption. Apply moderate pressure with the forefinger and thumb to prevent burger toppings from sliding further into the burger during the next step. Continue to apply pinky and ring finger pressure to prevent topping spillage from the back of the burger.

Place exposed portion of burger between front incisors. Close lips around the burger, then apply sufficient biting force to cut, not rip or tear, but cut through entire burger, bun, toppings and all. While pulling remaining burger and unharmed fingers away from face, close lips and commence chewing. If you are unable to close lips fully, consider adjusting your bite size in subsequent iterations of this process.

Your previous bite has likely created a prominent portion of burger that is more exposed than others. Move your thumb and ring again to further expose this spot, and consume this portion. You may rotate the burger a few degrees each bite, but you should be consuming the burger from one side to the other, not in a rotary manner. Your pinky and ring finger should be constantly guarding nearly the same edge throughout the entire process, until too little remains for them to come into play.

You will find that many prefer to use their dominant hand for this process. This is acceptable, particularly while learning, however experienced burgermeisters use their non dominant hand, which leaves their dominant hand free to consume beverages and the traditional french fries inbetween bites. They keep the burger in hand until it is consumed in order to prevent any loss of toppings during the repositioning process that would be required if they placed the burger back on their plate. This is generally acceptable, as meals containing a burger as the main dish usually consist entirely of food meant to be eaten by hand, however a fork may also be handled with the dominant hand without having to place the burger back on the plate. At no point should a knife be necessary. If you gesticulate while eating, be sure your grip on your burger is sufficient to prevent flinging some or all of it on adjacent patrons.

Particularly large burgers may require two hands, and those with small hands may find two hands more comfortable than the typical singlehanded grip. In this case one hand replaces the function of the pinky and ring fingers, and the other replaces the function of the forefinger and thumb.

It is the rare exception to see someone in the US consume a burger with utensils, but it is not frowned on or offensive. Indeed, many parents cut up burgers into small pieces for very young children who are unable to grasp the burger as normal. It may then be consumed carefully with fingers or using a fork. One may use any method of consuming the burger that feels comfortable to them when using utensils, but they should be aware that it is the combination of ingredients in the proportion as prepared that provides the full flavor of the burger.

Removing a bun, for instance, may also remove some of the sauces present, and certainly increases the meat to bread ratio of successive bites. Some may prefer this, but they should be aware that they are altering the texture and flavor of the food. You may see burgers served in the US with one bun off to the side - this is a convenience so the consumer may alter, apply, or customize toppings before putting the bun back on and consuming the burger as normal. Some advertising also shows burgers with the bun removed in order to showcase the toppings, but again the burger is rarely consumed in this manner.

There is no wrong way to consume an amican style hamburger, but we do hope that these tips improve your future burger eating experiences.

Dig in!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You're a wordy motherfucker, you know that?

Gusto

Gusto

Open your mouth and put the entire burger in and spend the next 3 minutes choking to death.

phil

phil

Son, what you're eating there is freedom so you eat it however you damn well please.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I like burger places (or places that serve burgers) that pre-slice your burgers.

Another burger pro-tip - turn the burger as you eat it, always biting the outside until you are left with the one perfect middle bite.

Gusto

Gusto

Yes the perfect middle bite is very important.

strawman

strawman

You're a wordy motherfucker, you know that?
I had to type that on the iPad, too, so I hope you appreciate it.

But I don't get to say "gaping maw" often enough as it is, so it was worth it.

Jay

Jay

strawman

strawman

Yes the perfect middle bite is very important.
If the edges are worse than the middle, the cook needs to be sent to a reeducation camp.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I cut mine in half to contain the mess.

But yeah, I do the black bean thing so my burgers all fall apart anyway. But halving them keeps the condiment splatter to a minimum.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Since you're at a sit down restaurant rather than a fast food place I would say to cut it into pieces you can eat in a few bites, but pick it up with your hands. It would be like any other type of sandwich. There is a chain we like to go to called Islands that has huge burgers. I usually cut mine into quarters so I can comfortably take a bite without the rest of the restaurant seeing where my tonsils used to be.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Huh.

Y'know, I was certain there was some manner of an etiquette for that. I stand corrected.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Huh.

Y'know, I was certain there was some manner of an etiquette for that. I stand corrected.
Places that don't want you stuffing a burger into your face don't serve burgers.

Calleja

Calleja

Dude that's like asking if there's etiquette for tacos.

If you used a knife and fork to eat tacos, you'd get a machete to the face before you finished.

Even if you were in Taco Bell.

We'd know.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I wish I knew the proper way to eat a taco to not get taco sauce on my crotch.

Calleja

Calleja

You tilt your head. It's funny cause it's not something we mention a lot, but go to any taco place in Mexico and you'll see EVERYONE tilting their head (think ear almost parallel to the plate) before taking a bite.

BananaHands

BananaHands

You tilt your head. It's funny cause it's not something we mention a lot, but go to any taco place in Mexico and you'll see EVERYONE tilting their head (think ear almost parallel to the plate) before taking a bite.
Are you messing with me right now or is this legit.

strawman

strawman

Grasp one dend of the taco firmly with one hand. Place the other end of the taco into your mouth. Now Hoover out the filling while tipping the other end up. Throw the used carcass on the ground, hopefully loudly shattering it, and demand the barmaid bring another round.

Calleja

Calleja

Are you messing with me right now or is this legit.
I am being 100% serious. Mexicans lift the taco by the tortilla edges (tacos ALWAYS have soft tortillas, or they're not tacos they're tostadas) so the bottom of it is parallel to the plate, and then tilt their head to bite into it without dropping anything. It's weird cause it's something every mexican does but most of us don't realize it until someone points it out.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I am being 100% serious. Mexicans lift the taco by the tortilla edges (tacos ALWAYS have soft tortillas, or they're not tacos they're tostadas) so the bottom of it is parallel to the plate, and then tilt their head to bite into it without dropping anything. It's weird cause it's something every mexican does but most of us don't realize it until someone points it out.
Well, hot damn. I learned something today.

Calleja

Calleja

Grasp one dend of the taco firmly with one hand. Place the other end of the taco into your mouth. Now Hoover out the filling while tipping the other end up. Throw the used carcass on the ground, hopefully loudly shattering it, and demand the barmaid bring another round.
Listen buddy, if the carcass shatters it means you're using a spurious "taco shell" and those things are NOT, I repeat, NOT tacos. I will go to WAR over this.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Listen buddy, if the carcass shatters it means you're using a spurious "taco shell" and those things are NOT, I repeat, NOT tacos. I will go to WAR over this.
Wait, so how do you eat a hard-shelled ta-- ...tostada... because that's what I was referring to.

strawman

strawman

(tacos ALWAYS have soft tortillas, or they're not tacos they're tostadas)
But then they're just unfolded mini burritos![DOUBLEPOST=1359137917][/DOUBLEPOST]Tacos in the US of Freemerica are hard shell by default, soft shell are the exception.

Calleja

Calleja

But then they're just unfolded mini burritos![DOUBLEPOST=1359137917][/DOUBLEPOST]Tacos in the US of Freemerica are hard shell by default, soft shell are the exception.
Ergo THEY'RE NOT TACOS. Dude, if someone made a burger with hard bread thing that fucking CRACKS when you bite out of it and went around the world calling it a "American Food Burger!" you'd balk too.[DOUBLEPOST=1359138185][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wait, so how do you eat a hard-shelled ta-- ...tostada... because that's what I was referring to.
You don't. Tostadas are FLAT... hard tortillas are FLAT. Taco shells are abominations probably made in that shape already, like pringles.

So a tostada you just lift and bite into, no tilting necessary.[DOUBLEPOST=1359138505][/DOUBLEPOST]This is a typical tostada though they come in hundreds of varieties:

You'll notice that's WAY closer to the "taco" you guys created in the US than an actual mexican taco which does NOT have cream and grinded cheese or whatnot:

Gusto

Gusto

A french fry: how to eat?

MindDetective

MindDetective

First so they don't get cold.

Calleja

Calleja

With a mixture of ketchup and mustard, never mayo. OR vinegar.

Gusto

Gusto

First so they don't get cold.
Wow I made a joke question and someone gave me the WRONG ANSWER. Or rather the right answer that I can't actually do because I've been conditioned.

Calleja

Calleja

You.. you wait for the fries to COOL DOWN!?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You.. you wait for the fries to COOL DOWN!?
HERESY!! :aaah:

Gusto

Gusto

No, I just eat the main first and leave the side(s) for if I have enough room.

I eat hierarchically.

strawman

strawman

As a burger topping, between the bacon and the donut.

MindDetective

MindDetective

No, I just eat the main first and leave the side(s) for if I have enough room.

I eat hierarchically.
I eat one thing at a time as well (no alternating allowed!) but I cannot leave fries to cool down. I guess I typically eat the sides first and then the main course, so opposite order to you.

Gusto

Gusto

Fries are usually the least important part of my meal and it's not like they get downright cold, they're just not scalding hot anymore. I'd rather eat cold fries (or not) than eat a cold burger or whatever.

Speaking of which, at breakfast restaurants, eggs get eaten first since nothing is worse than cold eggs. I'm usually starving by the time I get my food too, so my eggs are usually gone in like 12 seconds.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I eat my meals in escalating order of how much I like the food. Kind of saving the best for last.

Also, the idea of eating a hamburger with a knife and fork is tantamount to herasy, regardless of how fancy the restraunt is.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

You'll notice that's WAY closer to the "taco" you guys created in the US than an actual mexican taco which does NOT have cream and grinded cheese or whatnot:

OMG I WANT TO FIND A TAQUERIA RIGHT NOW!! There is no place with really good Mexican food here.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Ergo THEY'RE NOT TACOS. Dude, if someone made a burger with hard bread thing that fucking CRACKS when you bite out of it and went around the world calling it a "American Food Burger!" you'd balk too.

If another country can do something like this with a burger then I'll totally allow it.

Gared

Gared

Damn you Calleja! Now I'm going to have to make tacos this weekend. You'd think in a town with hundreds, if not thousands, of Mexican immigrants running around that there'd be at least one decent taqueria; but no, around here all of the Mexican immigrants eat the same food as everyone else if they want a fresh meal... sushi, from the one good sushi place in Kent. We have no tacos, we have no pho, we have no curries, we have no Mediterranean food, we have no pierogies, we have no decent sausages, we have no German food, nothing but crap in a town full of immigrants from all over the world, all of whom should have some local place to get the awesome foods of their motherlands. Kent got fucked.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Damn you Calleja! Now I'm going to have to make tacos this weekend. You'd think in a town with hundreds, if not thousands, of Mexican immigrants running around that there'd be at least one decent taqueria; but no, around here all of the Mexican immigrants eat the same food as everyone else if they want a fresh meal... sushi, from the one good sushi place in Kent. We have no tacos, we have no pho, we have no curries, we have no Mediterranean food, we have no pierogies, we have no decent sausages, we have no German food, nothing but crap in a town full of immigrants from all over the world, all of whom should have some local place to get the awesome foods of their motherlands. Kent got fucked.
What is the weather like in Kent? I will open a restaurant in Kent. I will make a killing. But only if the winter is mild or nonexistent.

Gared

Gared

What is the weather like in Kent? I will open a restaurant in Kent. I will make a killing. But only if the winter is mild or nonexistent.
So far this year our most strenuous winter weather was six straight days of fog with minor overnight freezing, and we're not expected to see any snowfall events this year. Last year we did have freezing rain, though.[DOUBLEPOST=1359142374][/DOUBLEPOST]And, I mean, we do have restaurants that serve that litany of ethnic foods that I listed out... it's just that they ALL suck.

Calleja

Calleja

If another country can do something like this with a burger then I'll totally allow it.
BUT THEN DON'T CALL IT TACO! Call it an "mexican shell" or something... would you like it if the spurious hard-bread burger began being MORE WELL KNOWN than the original one? Think about it. Thanks to taco bell and such (do NOT attempt to tell me Bell had nothing to do with the widespread of the "taco shell") the fucking imitation with yellow cheese (NOTHING in Mexico EVER uses that godawful cheese-like product) is what most people in the world picture when they see the word "taco". I'm sorry, you can enjoy your awful shell as much as you like, but the minute it starts trying to supersede the ORIGINAL taco, which is every day now, I'll jump at it's fucking THROAT AND KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Dave

Dave

Ergo THEY'RE NOT TACOS. Dude, if someone made a burger with hard bread thing that fucking CRACKS when you bite out of it and went around the world calling it a "American Food Burger!" you'd balk too.[DOUBLEPOST=1359138185][/DOUBLEPOST]

You don't. Tostadas are FLAT... hard tortillas are FLAT. Taco shells are abominations probably made in that shape already, like pringles.

So a tostada you just lift and bite into, no tilting necessary.[DOUBLEPOST=1359138505][/DOUBLEPOST]This is a typical tostada though they come in hundreds of varieties:

Damn you. Me so hungry!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Damn you. Me so hungry!
Wrong country.

Gared

Gared

I need to get better at making store bought tortillas not suck. I've yet to achieve that wonderful balance of pliable enough to fold but not mushy or horribly dry. Calleja, can I use cotija or some other Mexican cheese, or is cheese of all kinds verboten when it comes to proper taco fixin's?

Calleja

Calleja

I need to get better at making store bought tortillas not suck. I've yet to achieve that wonderful balance of pliable enough to fold but not mushy or horribly dry. Calleja, can I use cotija or some other Mexican cheese, or is cheese of all kinds verboten when it comes to proper taco fixin's?
WHAT!? Cotija is a hard, aged cheese!! KEEP THAT AWAY FROM TACOS!

Tacos with cheese are always with melty, stringy cheese. The cheese most taquerias use is called "Asadero", as in "queso asadero", but I think it's a more melty version of Chihuhua cheese, which should be way easier to get.

So the end result should be something like this:

Which you then fork over to the tortilla.[DOUBLEPOST=1359145661][/DOUBLEPOST]That picture, I should add, is of what we call an "alambre de pastor", which is the same meat you saw in the picture of the tacos I linked but mixed with melted cheese, green peppers and (fried)onions. It's usually served with a plate of tortillas and you fork it over, but sometimes they're served already as "tacos", already on tortillas. (this usually means you get less)

Gared

Gared

Excellent. I can get my hands on queso asadero easily enough.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

food.gif

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

cutting that one in half, made all the difference.

MindDetective

MindDetective

BUT THEN DON'T CALL IT TACO! Call it an "mexican shell" or something... would you like it if the spurious hard-bread burger began being MORE WELL KNOWN than the original one? Think about it. Thanks to taco bell and such (do NOT attempt to tell me Bell had nothing to do with the widespread of the "taco shell") the fucking imitation with yellow cheese (NOTHING in Mexico EVER uses that godawful cheese-like product) is what most people in the world picture when they see the word "taco". I'm sorry, you can enjoy your awful shell as much as you like, but the minute it starts trying to supersede the ORIGINAL taco, which is every day now, I'll jump at it's fucking THROAT AND KILL IT WITH FIRE.
Welcome to the evolution of language.

Calleja

Calleja

This is not a word evolving into a new use, dude. This is SOMETHING DIFFERENT taking OVER the name for something that's still very much around.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Bwahahaha! Too bad, Calleja Languages, and English especially, co-opt words with new meanings all the time. For better or worse, meanings evolve and there's nothing you can do about it![DOUBLEPOST=1359147479][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is not a word evolving into a new use, dude. This is SOMETHING DIFFERENT taking OVER the name for something that's still very much around.
Words can also mean more than one thing at a time!

GasBandit

GasBandit

We park in a driveway and drive on a parkway and there's nothing you can do about it.

Calleja

Calleja

Bwahahaha! Too bad, Calleja Languages, and English especially, co-opt words with new meanings all the time. For better or worse, meanings evolve and there's nothing you can do about it!
Again, this is not language "evolving". It's co-opting, yes, but that doesn't mean there aren't things that can be done against it while there's still time, this is not some inevitable thing, words have been consciously changed before. There's lots I can do about it, and being vocal about it is one of the main ones.

Now there are a dozen forum members who realize the difference, just because of my bitching.

Gared

Gared

Here's a question for you. Burritos: rice on the inside, or as a side?

Calleja

Calleja

We park in a driveway and drive on a parkway and there's nothing you can do about it.
again, not the same thing, for that simile to apply the original tacos would have a DIFFERENT name that's been changed or whatever. This is an instance of two DIFFERENT things using the same name for no reason other than marketing.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Calleja

Calleja

Here's a question for you. Burritos: rice on the inside, or as a side?
Burritos aren't really mexican. They're more of a tex-mex thing. They're a border thing.

That said, I've NEVER had a burrito with rice inside, but, again, burritos down here are american food.[DOUBLEPOST=1359147761][/DOUBLEPOST]
you missed your own picture to complete the fag trifecta :D

(i kid, i kid)

BananaHands

BananaHands

Burritos aren't really mexican. They're more of a tex-mex thing. They're a border thing.

That said, I've NEVER had a burrito with rice inside, but, again, burritos down here are american food.[DOUBLEPOST=1359147761][/DOUBLEPOST]

you missed your own picture to complete the fag trifecta :D

(i kid, i kid)

Calleja

Calleja

And while I see your point, BananaHands, it's still not exactly the same phenomenon cause no one would confuse a bundle of sticks with a cigarette, but american and mexican tacos ARE sort of mutually exclusive in that people think of one or the other, there are no terms to differentiate them as far as I know (like American Football vs Soccer or whatever)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Calleja fulfills all our weeshes with taco flavored keeses.

Gusto

Gusto

Ask a Texan and a Spaniard what queso is.[DOUBLEPOST=1359148166][/DOUBLEPOST]I also bring shame to my Canadian bros by calling it "soda".

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Calleja in this thread:

BananaHands

BananaHands

Ask a Texan and a Spaniard what queso is.[DOUBLEPOST=1359148166][/DOUBLEPOST]I also bring shame to my Canadian bros by calling it "soda".
Ay dude you talking 'bout POP?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What, you mean coke?

Alright, what kind do you want? Pepsi or Coca-cola?

BananaHands

BananaHands

What, you mean coke?

Alright, what kind do you want? Pepsi or Coca-cola?
Southern man, eh?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

you mean you call cokes, sodas? or do you call cokes, pops?

Gusto

Gusto

But I will never be able to see words missing u's and miss the typo.

Favourite colour, yo.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Southern man, eh?
Well, Florida. All the crazy of the South, but tanner.

Calleja

Calleja

Calleja in this thread:

Gusto

Gusto

Also, restroom?! Who rests in there!?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well, Florida. All the crazy of the South, but tanner.
Redder Rednecks? or South Beach?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I rest in my restroom. It's like a fortress of solitude.[DOUBLEPOST=1359148466][/DOUBLEPOST]
Redder Rednecks? or South Beach?
North Florida, so the reddest of rednecks.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I take 15 minute breaks at work and I'm not pooping.

BananaHands

BananaHands

you mean you call cokes, sodas? or do you call cokes, pops?
Gusto calls carbonated sugar water soda.

I call sodas pops.

Ravenpoe calls pops cokes.

Gusto

Gusto

Ain't call me pops, you sure ain't my sonny.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think I was 10 when I figured out how strange it was to ask for a Coke. "Mr. I want a Coke." (I meant it too.) Then he asked "What flavor?" "7up."

Calleja

Calleja

Words can also mean more than one thing at a time!
Of course, when the things aren't COMPETING for the definition, when there's no ambiguity. But in this case THERE IS. When this phenomenon arises, we usually get "back-definitions", like Football and American Football or "Soccer". Imagine if there was no way to verbally distinguish American Football from soccer and people went around calling them both the same thing and having to stop and explain which one they mean every time someone else came over. This is what's happening to "taco" right now, we need a backronym for american tacos or for english to start using "mexican taco" or SOMETHING.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I think I was 10 when I figured out how strange it was to ask for a Coke. "Mr. I want a Coke." (I meant it too.) Then he asked "What flavor?" "7up."
Oh yeah, when I went to school in Kentucky I was so confused when my roommate said he filled up the fridge with cokes and there was a bunch of mountain dew in there.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

We need to get twitchmoss in here to complain about what is and isn't a biscuit.

Calleja

Calleja

We need to get twitchmoss in here to complain about what is and isn't a biscuit.
Right, what you call cookie is a biscuit in UK and whatnot, but even then you guys have OTHER words you can use, even if different countries don't agree which is which. "Taco" is alone, though, unless you go around calling them "tortilla-wrapped meat things", but then how does that include a hard shell too? Am I getting my point across? There's no other word we can fight over.

BananaHands

BananaHands

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well the ethnic Mexicans in Texas and New Mexico have been making crispy tacos for about 100 years. It is Taco Bell that made the crispy taco sweep the land about 50 years ago.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Esto no es una gordita.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Beginning from the early part of the twentieth century, various styles of tacos have become popular in the United States and Canada.[12] An early appearance of a description of the taco in the United States in English was in a 1914 cookbook, California Mexican-Spanish Cookbook, by Bertha Haffner Ginger.[13] The style that has become most common is the hard-shell, U-shaped version described in a cookbook, The good life: New Mexican food, authored by Fabiola Cabeza de Vaca Gilbert and published in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1949.[14]These have been sold by restaurants and by fast food chains. Even non-Mexican oriented fast food restaurants have sold tacos. Mass production of this type of taco was encouraged by the invention of devices to hold the tortillas in the U-shape as they were deep-fried. A patent for such a device was issued to New York restaurateur Juvenico Maldonado in 1950, based on his patent filing of 1947 (U.S. Patent No. 2,506,305).[15][16] Such tacos are crisp-fried corn tortillas filled with seasoned ground beef, cheese, lettuce, and sometimes tomato, onion, salsa, sour cream, and avocado or guacamole

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

how many gorditas did that take?

BananaHands

BananaHands

Esto no es una gordita.

Calleja

Calleja

Beginning from the early part of the twentieth century, various styles of tacos have become popular in the United States and Canada.[12] An early appearance of a description of the taco in the United States in English was in a 1914 cookbook, California Mexican-Spanish Cookbook, by Bertha Haffner Ginger.[13] The style that has become most common is the hard-shell, U-shaped version described in a cookbook, The good life: New Mexican food, authored by Fabiola Cabeza de Vaca Gilbert and published in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1949.[14]These have been sold by restaurants and by fast food chains. Even non-Mexican oriented fast food restaurants have sold tacos. Mass production of this type of taco was encouraged by the invention of devices to hold the tortillas in the U-shape as they were deep-fried. A patent for such a device was issued to New York restaurateur Juvenico Maldonado in 1950, based on his patent filing of 1947 (U.S. Patent No. 2,506,305).[15][16] Such tacos are crisp-fried corn tortillas filled with seasoned ground beef, cheese, lettuce, and sometimes tomato, onion, salsa, sour cream, and avocado or guacamole
I don't get your point. Soft tacos have been around since prehispanic times 600, 700 years ago or more... this is not about something "recent", it's about a word missing to distinguish the taco-variations.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I also bring shame to my Canadian bros by calling it "soda".
Gusto.

No.

Just... just stop.

Please. Please stop.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I don't get your point. Soft tacos have been around since prehispanic times 600, 700 years ago or more... this is not about something "recent", it's about a word missing to distinguish the taco-variations.
I wasn't making a point, I just googled it and found it interesting because I wasn't aware there was no such thing as a hard-shell taco in mexico until this thread.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

OK, you need to come to America and open a bakery to make decent corn tortillas. The soft corn tortillas made in the states SUCK, unless you fry it to a crisp.

Calleja

Calleja

I wasn't making a point, I just googled it and found it interesting because I wasn't aware there was no such thing as a hard-shell taco in mexico until this thread.
Oh, yeah, you guys are alone in that. I remember when Taco Bell tried to open a franchise in Mexico City in the early 90s, late 80s. They were in business like a whole two weeks.

Mexicans that travel to the US tend to LOATHE taco bell cause, well, they're not tacos... but I've always insisted that they're perfectly fine if you see them as what they are... junk food that has nothing to do with tacos. It's hard for lots of my friends to make the distinction though. I'm the reasonable one.

Imagine that.[DOUBLEPOST=1359149779][/DOUBLEPOST]
OK, you need to come to America and open a bakery to make decent corn tortillas. The soft corn tortillas made in the states SUCK, unless you fry it to a crisp.
Fun fact, we have both bakeries AND tortillerias, different places. Tortillerias are usually tiny, make nothing else, but make literally thousands a day and have long lines at certain hours. Of course, these days even large chain supermarkets have "mini-tortillerias". They're big ass machines too:

GasBandit

GasBandit

And there are few words more fun to say than "tortilleria."

Calleja

Calleja

It's technically "tortillería", with an accent in the second i. Going by how you guys say my name, it must be hilarious to hear you guys pronounce that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's technically "tortillería", with an accent in the second i. Going by how you guys say my name, it must be hilarious to hear you guys pronounce that.
Tor-TEE-uh-REE-uh.

But it is fun to hear the yanks call them "Tortilly-areas."

Gared

Gared

There needs to be such a thing as a quesadilleria, just because it would be fun to say, and fun to watch people try to say and fail.

Calleja

Calleja

There needs to be such a thing as a quesadilleria, just because it would be fun to say, and fun to watch people try to say and fail.
There are. They're usually old ladies making them in a street-cart thingie, and we usually call them "la señora de las quesadillas" (quesadilla lady), but they're technically quesadillerías, heh.

Tor-TEE-uh-REE-uh.

But it is fun to hear the yanks call them "Tortilly-areas."
It's more like Tor-tee-yeh-REE-ah.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's more like Tor-tee-yeh-REE-ah.
Perhaps, but english speakers are incapable of emphasizing less than 2 syllables of a 5 syllable word.

Calleja

Calleja

Perhaps, but english speakers are incapable of not emphasizing less than 2 syllables of a 5 syllable word.
you also skipped the "Y" sound, though. That double LL *IS* pronounced.

GasBandit

GasBandit

you also skipped the "Y" sound, though. That double LL *IS* pronounced.
No I didn't. Tor-TEE-uh. The EE-uh is bridged with a Y sound and slurs into the preceding I.

Tortilla = Tor-TEE-uh.

Tortia = TORT-yuh (or more likely, TOR-shuh).

Calleja

Calleja

No I didn't. Tor-TEE-uh. The EE-uh is bridged with a Y sound and slurs into the preceding I.

Tortilla = Tor-TEE-uh.

Tortia = TORT-yuh (or more likely, TOR-shuh).
Dude, that's skipping the LL sound. If you're "slurring" you're mispronouncing, JCM-wannabe ¬¬

Tortilla = tor-TEE-yah. That's the first sound in "yes", or even better, the sound in "jar", YAH. Think the sound of a cartoon karate chop. Hi-YAH!

Maybe a j would be better than a Y, but that's jarring (yarring?) to my bilingual brain.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dude, that's skipping the LL sound. If you're "slurring" you're mispronouncing, JCM-wannabe ¬¬

Tortilla = tor-TEE-yah. That's the first sound in "yes", or even better, the sound in "jar", YAH. Think the sound of a cartoon karate chop. Hi-YAH!

Maybe a j would be better than a Y, but that's jarring (yarring?) to my bilingual brain.
What you don't understand is that the english speaker (perhaps merely the southern english speaker) is also incapable of connecting most any two vowel sounds without injecting a y between them.

Calleja

Calleja

What you don't understand is that the english speaker (perhaps merely the southern english speaker) is also incapable of connecting most any two vowel sounds without injecting a y between them.
That doesn't mean you didn't skip a sound, you just can't pronounce it :p

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

We still say Mex-e-can.

Or the county that San Antonio is in, Bexar. Out-of-towners call it bex-ar, locals call it bear, and foreign Spanish speakers try to call it bey-Har.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That doesn't mean you didn't skip a sound, you just can't pronounce it :p
Nah, it's just an issue with transcription. And don't talk to me about who can't pronounce what, your whole nation inserts unnecessary d's into r's.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Calleja - Don't forget to tell them they're supposed to pinch the end of the back of the taco as well while we tilt.

Calleja

Calleja

Nah, it's just an issue with transcription. And don't talk to me about who can't pronounce what, your whole nation inserts unnecessary d's into r's.
I'll go one on one with ANY English pronunciation you throw my way, ese.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Calleja - Don't forget to tell them they're supposed to pinch the end of the back of the taco as well while we tilt.
If you pinch it the shell will break and drop the ground beef onto the table.

Calleja

Calleja

That depends more on the taco, street tacos are too small so it's not really necessary.

Gared

Gared

Not to mention the lettuce, diced tomato, shredded cheddar, and sour cream and salsa.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

We've already made it clear that shelled tacos are tostada mutations and not tacos.

That depends more on the taco, street tacos are too small so it's not really necessary.
Yeah but the tacos they're eating are definitely not street tacos, which I love with a passion. Mmmm, bisteak.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

How about a definition for Torta?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

And this all started with a burger cut in half...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I wanted to find a picture of a sassy mexican girl and do a meme version of this:
Z9djM.jpg

but with Jesu's instead of Jesus.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I found Hey-sus in prison. A whole bunch of them...

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'll go one on one with ANY English pronunciation you throw my way, ese.
Only because our language and pop culture dominate the world, so you've been forced to learn it no matter where you look. That's no challenge.[DOUBLEPOST=1359152500][/DOUBLEPOST]
I found Hey-sus in prison. A whole bunch of them...
"And when they nail my pimpled ass to the cross,
I'll tell them I found Jesus, that will throw them off.
He goes by the name Hay-soos and steals hubcaps from cars.
Oh, Hay-soos, can I borrow your crowbar?"

Calleja

Calleja

How about a definition for Torta?
That depends on whether you're in Spain or Mexico. Kinda like "biscuit" for UK and US.

A torta in spain is this:

In Mexico, it's this:

Funnily enough, those were literally the top 2 results, side by side, in an image search for "torta" in my Google.

Gared

Gared

Soo... what kind of bread would be most appropriate for a Mexican torta? I hear people using ciabatta all the time, but I'm not a huge fan of it, and using a hamburger bun seems sacrilegious somehow.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Half the time that I go into Taquerias in Texas and order a Torta, they just assume that I don't know what I'm ordering and give me tacos instead. :mad:[DOUBLEPOST=1359152686][/DOUBLEPOST]
Soo... what kind of bread would be most appropriate for a Mexican torta? I hear people using ciabatta all the time, but I'm not a huge fan of it, and using a hamburger bun seems sacrilegious somehow.
It is just a baguette.

Gared

Gared

I mean, technically I suppose the preferred thing to do would be to go to a paneria, but we don't have one of those around here.[DOUBLEPOST=1359152927][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, if nothing else, this thread has inspired me to do some semi-serious cooking this weekend, once I get my kitchen cleaned and get my mead started.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If I'm out with my best friend, and I order a Torta, he asks me what the hell it is. I tell him "you're the Hispanic, you tell me." Then he orders the Crispy Tacos.

I think a waiter called him a coconut when he ordered those.[DOUBLEPOST=1359153025][/DOUBLEPOST]
I mean, technically I suppose the preferred thing to do would be to go to a paneria, but we don't have one of those around here.[DOUBLEPOST=1359152927][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, if nothing else, this thread has inspired me to do some semi-serious cooking this weekend, once I get my kitchen cleaned and get my mead started.
This thread sent me out to get a Chimiganga for lunch.

Calleja

Calleja

It's not a baguette.

It's a bolillo. I don't think you have those exactly.

Baguette:

Bolillo:

Bolillos are a bit softer than baguettes, but we also have another even softer bread which is what you see in the torta pic I linked called telera:

But teleras aren't as good in my own biased central-mexico opinion. They're softer but barely have a taste. Good for something like a torta de pastor (oh yeah, a taco and a torta have a baby and you get that), but not so much a ham torta.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This thread sent me out to get a Chimiganga for lunch.
Carne asada a la Tampiqueña. Mmmmm.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Bolillos are labeled baguettes here, and we call baguettes "french bread."

Gared

Gared

Hmm... mayhap now would be a good time to order that professional baking book off of Amazon and a good kitchen scale to go with it.

Calleja

Calleja

Carne asada a la Tampiqueña. Mmmmm.
hahaha, that's weird to read, down here it's literally just "a tampiqueña", saying "carne asada a la tampiqueña" sounds kinda like saying "noodle pasta".

Gared

Gared

Bolillos are labeled baguettes here, and we call baguettes "french bread."
Odd. Up here in the north, what we call "french bread" is a soft bread, usually without much crust, that's much wider and shorter than a baguette; and almost no one sells bolillos, unless you go to an upscale grocer.[DOUBLEPOST=1359153348][/DOUBLEPOST]
hahaha, that's weird to read, down here it's literally just "a tampiqueña", saying "carne asada a la tampiqueña" sounds kinda like saying "noodle pasta".
It still drives me insane when chili makers label their cans "Chili con Carne with meat and beans."

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Down here Wal-Mart and Krogers carry them, but they just label them wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1359153449][/DOUBLEPOST]
It still drives me insane when chili makers label their cans "Chili con Carne with meat and beans."
Down here the old timers still say "THE RIO GRANDY RIVER."

Calleja

Calleja

Odd. Up here in the north, what we call "french bread" is a soft bread, usually without much crust, that's much wider and shorter than a baguette; and almost no one sells bolillos, unless you go to an upscale grocer.[DOUBLEPOST=1359153348][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh that's entirely marketing as well, friend. Chili is barely even tex-mex, it's almost 100% american, I think the settlers of Texas were the ones that started making it, but it's ridiculous to call it "chili" when it's MEAT, that's how you know it's not a spanish term. Down here it would literally be a "meat soup". It's a 100% imported food.

Gared

Gared

Oh that's entirely marketing as well, friend. Chili is barely even tex-mex, it's almost 100% american, I think the settlers of Texas were the ones that started making it, but it's ridiculous to call it "chili" when it's MEAT, that's how you know it's not a spanish term. Down here it would literally be a "meat soup". It's a 100% imported food.
Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that it's actually Mexican food, just that redundant redundancy annoys me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think the Canary Islanders that settled San Antonio are the ones that started making Chili con Carne. South Texas has a lot of chilis and cattle. So the dish made sense.

Gared

Gared

Oh yeah, while we're at least barely on the topic, can one of you Texans link me to (or post) a good recipe for Texas Red? Something an actual blue-collar working man would eat? I haven't had good chili in about a decade now.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

In reality Brisket is Mexican food. It was being produced in the state of Coahila y Tejas before the revolution.

Calleja

Calleja

The funny thing is even though it's not Mexican/Spanish at all it's still always labed as "chili con carne", not, y'know "chili with meat" or whatever, they make it sound spanish for some weird reason.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Oh yeah, while we're at least barely on the topic, can one of you Texans link me to (or post) a good recipe for Texas Red? Something an actual blue-collar working man would eat? I haven't had good chili in about a decade now.
Actually the blue collar guys eat weird crap with tomatoes, beans and rice... it is the Texas Proud Yuppies that are doing the Chili competitions.

But search for competition chili recipes.[DOUBLEPOST=1359154132][/DOUBLEPOST]
The funny thing is even though it's not Mexican/Spanish at all it's still always labed as "chili con carne", not, y'know "chili with meat" or whatever, they make it sound spanish for some weird reason.
The people that created it were Spanish speakers in Mexico/New Spain.

Calleja

Calleja

Actually the blue collar guys eat weird crap with tomatoes, beans and rice... it is the Texas Proud Yuppies that are doing the Chili competitions.

But search for competition chili recipes.[DOUBLEPOST=1359154132][/DOUBLEPOST]

The people that created it were Spanish speakers in Mexico/New Spain.
Uhh.. what? According to Wikipedia it was created by "American frontier settlers" in the 1860's or later, not spanish speakers. "New Spain" stopped existing in 1810.

If they were spanish speakers they would use a SPANISH word, "Chile". Chili is not in Spanish.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And it is a name that has been in use in an English Speaking Country for 180 years. Spellings can wander.

Jay

Jay

I wanted to find a picture of a sassy mexican girl and do a meme version of this:
View attachment 10034

but with Jesu's instead of Jesus.
Ask your sister.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://www.streetdirectory.com/food...ds_to_san_antonio_the_origins_of_tex_mex.html

Really, Chili is a fusion of Native American and Canary Islander food. White Settlers did not make spicy food. They deep fried EVERYTHING. It was with the Cattle Drives that whites started eating chili, because it was easy to transport a bunch of light spices. Then use the dying cattle to make Chili con Carne.

Wikipedia?

Calleja

Calleja

http://www.streetdirectory.com/food...ds_to_san_antonio_the_origins_of_tex_mex.html

Really, Chili is a fusion of Native American and Canary Islander food. White Settlers did not make spicy food. They deep fried EVERYTHING. It was with the Cattle Drives that whites started eating chili, because it was easy to transport a bunch of light spices. Then use the dying cattle to make Chili con Carne.

Wikipedia?
Well, I kinda trust Wikipedia a bit more than your streetdirectory site which insists that "chili peppers were contributed by Canary Islanders", which is ridiculous, Spain had to DE-spice their imported chiles and created the (barely)spicy peppers they use over there now. Spanish food is not spicy like Mexican is.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Hey I had a simple math question in here not too long ago that turned into proofs of why .999999∞ is, or is not, equal to 1.

Tress

Tress

ITT: Calleja argues with everyone about everything, only to find out that approximately 350,000,000 people to the north of him still call hard shells tacos. Good luck with that. :p

Calleja

Calleja

ITT: Calleja argues with everyone about everything, only to find out that approximately 350,000,000 people to the north of him still call hard shells tacos. Good luck with that. :p
And around 500 million to the south of you don't. Bitch. (that's 120 million mexicans plus 380 million south americans)[DOUBLEPOST=1359157517][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey I had a simple math question in here not too long ago that turned into proofs of why .999999∞ is, or is not, equal to 1.
It's not, how can they argue, it's a limit!

Tress

Tress

Ooh, you called me bitch. Edgy.

:rolleyes:

BananaHands

BananaHands

So all I've taken from this is that soft-shelled tacos are UNAMERICAN.

Calleja

Calleja

Ooh, you called me bitch. Edgy.

:rolleyes:
Oh, you thought I was trying to be offensive. Cute.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

what's a nubian

Calleja

Calleja

what's a nubian
SHUT THE FUCK UP![DOUBLEPOST=1359158079][/DOUBLEPOST]Darth Vader was the BLACKEST BROTHA IN THE GALAXY

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I fucking hate Kevin Smith now for a myriad of reasons, but those first several movies owned

Calleja

Calleja

Kevin Smith is fucking awesome to this day.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

uh huh

that's a battle for another thread

blotsfan

blotsfan

I just wanna say I had Chipotle today. If thats not like what you have down in Mexico, you should ask them for some pointers.

Calleja

Calleja

I just wanna say I had Chipotle today. If thats not like what you have down in Mexico, you should ask them for some pointers.
No, you should try real mexican food and them compare.

(and yes, I've had both Chipotle and Taco Bell. The former can be pretty good, but it's about as Mexican as Olive Garden is Italian, maybe even less)

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

(and yes, I've had both Chipotle and Taco Bell. The former can be pretty good, but it's about as Mexican as Olive Garden is Italian, maybe even less)
Pretty much. The way I see it is you can't compare Chipotle/Taco Bell to real Mexican food. They may share base ingredients but they are NOT the same type of food to be compared equally. It'd be like comparing Spagetti and Pho Noodle bowls. Sure they're both noodles but different worlds apart in type.

Jay - You gives me a sad. I would totally have done that but I haven't seen my sister in almost half a year now. As well as our online/phone/text communications have all but become a trickle.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

uh huh

that's a battle for another thread
Watch where you tread, bro. I will fuck you up!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I've only had Chipotle once, and never again. They blobbed all the rice at the bottom and it was HORRIBLE! Also its once of those places where they tell you how many calories a dish is, it just feels pretentious.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've only had Chipotle once, and never again. They blobbed all the rice at the bottom and it was HORRIBLE! Also its once of those places where they tell you how many calories a dish is, it just feels pretentious.
You're missing out on some really good times by basing your decision entirely on a lone experience without any further data.

This isn't limited only to Chipotle.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Even so I avoid most chain restaurants like the plague. If I want a burrito I'll just go down-town Hammonton.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I've heard the Mexican place near Bruni's pizza is pretty decent.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Perhaps, but english speakers are incapable of emphasizing less than 2 syllables of a 5 syllable word.
Sadly, he speaks the truth.

EDIT: Oh, and I had a Cheese Butterburger from Culvers last night. Yum.

Used one hand, though. Had to use the other to ward off others trying to steal my crinkle-cut fries.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

A one-handed cheeseburger is hardly worth considering. :)

(Unless said hand belonged to Andre the Giant.)

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

A one-handed cheeseburger is hardly worth considering. :)

(Unless said hand belonged to Andre the Giant.)
Why would you want a dead guy holding your cheeseburger? That doesn't sound appetizing.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yeah, but...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

For those with TMJ like myself, one must always make sure to have a relaxed jaw otherwise you will feel the horrible pain of a thousand dying sons.

As for handling the burger I use two hands to firmly grip it, depends on the burger size. If its one of those little meat pattys you can get by the dozen, than one handed is good. If its a real burger though, I use two hands or risk losing pieces of the deliciousness.
I've heard the Mexican place near Bruni's pizza is pretty decent.
I usually go to Los Lomas, but that place is good. Haven't been there in a while though.

Zappit

Zappit

Kevin Smith is fucking awesome to this day.
Sorry, Charlie, but this is entirely relevant, as Kevin Smith is roughly 78% cheeseburgers.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Animal style from In & Out, if I remember.

fade

fade

I have to say with complete honesty that if someone took the same bun that I use on my burger and deep fried it, I might not think it was a traditional burger, but I'd still be okay calling it a hard burger or something. Also, I honestly assumed everyone knew the authentic shell was the soft one.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I have to say with complete honesty that if someone took the same bun that I use on my burger and deep fried it, I might not think it was a traditional burger, but I'd still be okay calling it a hard burger or something. Also, I honestly assumed everyone knew the authentic shell was the soft one.
insert culturally motivated culinary rage here

Calleja

Calleja

But it's not really just the shell (which is way different that just a fried tortilla anyway, the taco bell shells I've seen are more like reconstituted dorito-like U-shaped stuff, not fried tortillas) it's the entire content. And not even with all those differences is there something used to differentiate them, that's what I was trying to point out. I think.

jwhouk

jwhouk

LITERALLY Doritos, at times.

(EDIT to include link.)

fade

fade

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that Taco Bell invented the hard taco shell by deep frying the tortilla on a mold, for the sole purpose of speeding up the assembly line. I seem to remember they used soft tortillas at first, but the hard shell fit nicely into grooves on the assembly line, which meant they could get custom tacos out to you in seconds. I mean, they've changed the formula by now, but originally, they were just fried tortillas.[DOUBLEPOST=1359301227][/DOUBLEPOST]This seems relevant, since the Italians have had this same rant about pizza: http://download.lardlad.com/sounds/season13/furious3.mp3[DOUBLEPOST=1359301826][/DOUBLEPOST]

figmentPez

figmentPez

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that Taco Bell invented the hard taco shell by deep frying the tortilla on a mold, for the sole purpose of speeding up the assembly line. I seem to remember they used soft tortillas at first, but the hard shell fit nicely into grooves on the assembly line, which meant they could get custom tacos out to you in seconds. I mean, they've changed the formula by now, but originally, they were just fried tortillas.
I thought that Taco Bell was doing fried tacos, but they fried them with the filling inside, like (I think) Burger King and Jack-in-the-Box still do. The innovation of a pre-fried hard shell at Taco Bell meant that they didn't have to fill them, then fry them before serving. But, yeah, either way they were using different corn tortillas then than they do now.

Frank

Frank

Man, I wonder what Calleja would think of the Canadian fast food chain Taco Time's Mexi-Fries?

They're literally salt drenched tater tots. Each one saltier than the last.

http://www.tacotimecanada.com/en/menu/mexi-fries-page.aspx

Or how about fine Albertan Mexican dining, JULIO'S BARRIO!

http://juliosbarrio.com/edmonton/menu/

figmentPez

figmentPez

They're literally salt drenched tater tots. Each one saltier than the last.

http://www.tacotimecanada.com/en/menu/mexi-fries-page.aspx
Mexi-Fries Deluxe sound pretty tasty...[DOUBLEPOST=1359383377][/DOUBLEPOST]
Or how about fine Albertan Mexican dining, JULIO'S BARRIO!

http://juliosbarrio.com/edmonton/menu/
Vegetarian, chicken and prawn "fajitas"... what the hell? Fajita is a cut of beef! You cannot, by definition, have fajitas that are not beef! </Faux Rage>

Actually, I tend to like chicken fajitas more than I like beef.

Jay

Jay

I generally dislike Mexican food that I do not make myself. Either it too hot or tastes like shit.

Thus I conclude that this is a cultural thing in either you have to make it as hot as fuck to appease the fucks who enjoy this type of food or it is a competition to make the worst tasting food to win some type of horrible trophy.

Tress

Tress

Vegetarian, chicken and prawn "fajitas"... what the hell? Fajita is a cut of beef! You cannot, by definition, have fajitas that are not beef! </Faux Rage>

Actually, I tend to like chicken fajitas more than I like beef.
"Fajita" just refers to grilled meats served in a tortilla. It is not necessarily beef. This does mean, though, that the vegetarian fajita is a contradiction.

Calleja

Calleja

I generally dislike Mexican food that I do not make myself. Either it too hot or tastes like shit.

Thus I conclude that this is a cultural thing in either you have to make it as hot as fuck to appease the fucks who enjoy this type of food or it is a competition to make the worst tasting food to win some type of horrible trophy.
Ever been to Mexico and had REAL Mexican food?

Tress

Tress

You know, there are real Mexican restaurants up here. We're not all the Taco Bell-eating idiots you seem to think we are. It's entirely possible he had real Mexican food and didn't like it, and going to Mexico won't change that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You know, there are real Mexican restaurants up here. We're not all the Taco Bell eating idiots you seem to think we are. It's entirely possible he had real Mexican food and didn't like it, and going to Mexico won't change that.
I want to agree with you, but I have a hard time imagining "real" mexican food restaurants in Quebec. I mean, they were rare enough in Maryland.

Emrys

Emrys

Grasp the burger firmly, with thumb and pinky on the bottom, and three fingers on top. Use pinky and ring fingers to compress the side away from your gaping maw preventing toppings from spilling out. If burger is too large to correctly hold in this manner, place on plate and press firmly with palm until burger size is adjusted. Allow toppings and sauces to spill during this process, do not be timid.

Once the correct hold is achieved, move the forefinger and thumb away from your gaping maw, exposing some of the remaining burger for consumption. Apply moderate pressure with the forefinger and thumb to prevent burger toppings from sliding further into the burger during the next step. Continue to apply pinky and ring finger pressure to prevent topping spillage from the back of the burger.

Place exposed portion of burger between front incisors. Close lips around the burger, then apply sufficient biting force to cut, not rip or tear, but cut through entire burger, bun, toppings and all. While pulling remaining burger and unharmed fingers away from face, close lips and commence chewing. If you are unable to close lips fully, consider adjusting your bite size in subsequent iterations of this process.

Your previous bite has likely created a prominent portion of burger that is more exposed than others. Move your thumb and ring again to further expose this spot, and consume this portion. You may rotate the burger a few degrees each bite, but you should be consuming the burger from one side to the other, not in a rotary manner. Your pinky and ring finger should be constantly guarding nearly the same edge throughout the entire process, until too little remains for them to come into play.

You will find that many prefer to use their dominant hand for this process. This is acceptable, particularly while learning, however experienced burgermeisters use their non dominant hand, which leaves their dominant hand free to consume beverages and the traditional french fries inbetween bites. They keep the burger in hand until it is consumed in order to prevent any loss of toppings during the repositioning process that would be required if they placed the burger back on their plate. This is generally acceptable, as meals containing a burger as the main dish usually consist entirely of food meant to be eaten by hand, however a fork may also be handled with the dominant hand without having to place the burger back on the plate. At no point should a knife be necessary. If you gesticulate while eating, be sure your grip on your burger is sufficient to prevent flinging some or all of it on adjacent patrons.

Particularly large burgers may require two hands, and those with small hands may find two hands more comfortable than the typical singlehanded grip. In this case one hand replaces the function of the pinky and ring fingers, and the other replaces the function of the forefinger and thumb.

It is the rare exception to see someone in the US consume a burger with utensils, but it is not frowned on or offensive. Indeed, many parents cut up burgers into small pieces for very young children who are unable to grasp the burger as normal. It may then be consumed carefully with fingers or using a fork. One may use any method of consuming the burger that feels comfortable to them when using utensils, but they should be aware that it is the combination of ingredients in the proportion as prepared that provides the full flavor of the burger.

Removing a bun, for instance, may also remove some of the sauces present, and certainly increases the meat to bread ratio of successive bites. Some may prefer this, but they should be aware that they are altering the texture and flavor of the food. You may see burgers served in the US with one bun off to the side - this is a convenience so the consumer may alter, apply, or customize toppings before putting the bun back on and consuming the burger as normal. Some advertising also shows burgers with the bun removed in order to showcase the toppings, but again the burger is rarely consumed in this manner.

There is no wrong way to consume an amican style hamburger, but we do hope that these tips improve your future burger eating experiences.

Dig in!
That's an awfully long-winded way to say "stick it in your mouth and like it".

Tress

Tress

That's an awfully long-winded way to say "stick it in your mouth and like it".
:unibrow:

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

You know, there are real Mexican restaurants up here. We're not all the Taco Bell-eating idiots you seem to think we are. It's entirely possible he had real Mexican food and didn't like it, and going to Mexico won't change that.
There's a striking difference. No matter how good your real Mexican restaurant is anywhere but actual Spanish countries, it's not 100% the same. However, if he doesn't like the base food/flavors, then he probably won't like it anyway. Considering his complaint is that it's all too hot because they can't have real flavor, it strikes me as he hasn't had it really authentic, as most true Mexican food uses hints of spice,and not overpowering ones.

Tress

Tress

Honestly Calleja, your shit is getting annoying in this thread. People can have different opinions. I don't know why you seem to struggle with that simple concept.

Emrys

Emrys

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Honestly Calleja, your shit is getting annoying in this thread. People can have different opinions. I don't know why you seem to struggle with that simple concept.
Because he's explaining how there IS a difference in food quality and ignorant responses are keeping him explaining.

Calleja

Calleja

Unless you can import fresh ingredients every day, I really, really doubt the "authentic" Mexican restaurants manage to be 100% authentic. You've seen how people say thay can't even get decent soft tortillas, imagine having to deal with that every single day, besides fresh chiles, fresh non-fakey cheese, etc etc. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it'd be so expensive, niche and rare that I doubt it's common enough to be compared with taco bell's widespread recognition.

fade

fade

Eh, everyone thinks no one else can properly make their cultural food. I laugh when I see people from the north on TV making "southern" food. (Hint: it isn't genuine if it has 40 ingredients in it--the real stuff is fairly simple.) Then again, if I sit down and give it a chance, usually it is pretty close. And if it isn't, you can definitely trace the lineage back.

Emrys

Emrys

Calleja

Calleja

Dude, read my fucking posts, I've said several times that I LIKE taco bell and chipotle... as junk food. If I keep fucking posting is because you keep fucking giving me reasons to. Fucking hell.

"have you considered this?"
"yeah, but.."
"AUGH, HONESTLY YOUR SHIT IS ANOOYING"

Right.

Jay

Jay

I don't want to die.

Tress

Tress

I knew that's where you were going, it just felt wrong not to post that smiley.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

One big difference for Mexican food here, and in the valley of Mexico are what's available in the markets.

That's why Tex-Mex is so different, until recently no one could get the same types of food. That's why enchiladas have velveta or cheddar cheese here and not any of the different queso blancos, etc...

figmentPez

figmentPez

"Fajita" just refers to grilled meats served in a tortilla.
Well, that's what it means now, but originally fajita (meaning "little sash") was a reference to the skirt steak cut of beef used to make the fajitas. The original fajitas were made from a specific cut of beef; anything else would technically be fajita-style, though I'm not about to demand the hyphenated addition.

Calleja

Calleja

Fajitas is one Tex-Mex food that actually did become widespread in Mexico (although you don't find them in "typical food" places,obviously), and they're fucking delicious but not mexican either.

Emrys

Emrys

So, if you were going to serve a "typical" Mexican dinner to someone who had never eaten authentic Mexican food, what would it consist of?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well, that's what it means now, but originally fajita (meaning "little sash") was a reference to the skirt steak cut of beef used to make the fajitas. The original fajitas were made from a specific cut of beef; anything else would technically be fajita-style, though I'm not about to demand the hyphenated addition.
Fajitas started because there is not enough goats for cabrito, I don't recall the actual name.

Calleja

Calleja

So, if you were going to serve a "typical" Mexican dinner to someone who had never eaten authentic Mexican food, what would it consist of?
Huh. Does it have be "typical" ala what a mexican mom prepares every day for dinner, or can it be more 11pm in the streets of Mexico City?

Emrys

Emrys

Huh. Does it have be "typical" ala what a mexican mom prepares every day for dinner, or can it be more 11pm in the streets of Mexico City?
You're the one serving the food, cheri. You decide.

Covar

Covar

This thread is making me hungry for some Tex Mex.

Emrys

Emrys

I'm getting me some after work!

(Food, you pervs. Food)

Covar

Covar

(Food, you pervs. Food)
:megusta:

Calleja

Calleja

Well I don't think anyone can visit Mexico without experiencing true tacos al pastor, which have actually moorish/arabic origins which you notice in the similarity to shawarma/kebabs:

They're entirely different by now, of course , and yes, that's a huge slab of pineapple you see on the bottom left, they're usually on top of the meat thing and taqueros have this showy tradition of loping off a bit of pineapple and catching it with the already meated tortilla. That being said I'd say a good 60% or more of us take the pineapple off or just order them without. This is the same dish I linked to earlier.

This hypothetical foreigner would also HAVE to try an original, made-for-hours-and-hours mole:

I know you guys can now get "canned" or "bottled" concentrated mole (we can too in Supermarkets) but please believe me when I say those are pale, pale shadows of a real one made with like 40 fecking different ingredients by a little old lady who got up at 4am so it'd be ready by 2pm. Mole is the sauce ("mole", is actually the original word for "sauce" in nahuatl, but the meaning has changed now, kinda like "curry") and it usually covers a nice piece of chicken, but I swear the best part is the end when you grab a piece of tortilla and just clean the plate up of mole with it. Damn, I'm hungry now.

Also, I'd have to introduce you to an actual marketplace Tlayuda:

Which looks kinda ugly, (i've heard people call it the "Mexican pizza") but I swear it's nirvana made food, you can't really tell in the picture but it's giant sized, usually one is more than enough for a full grown man.

Then at night we'd find a tamal vendor with a long line, but not normal tamales (I find those kinda dry), but oaxacan tamales:

which are wrapped in banana leaf instead of corn husk thing, and are square and juicy and oh god my mouth is watering.

But, I don't know, this is just off the top of my head, I'd have to think about it.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Well I don't think anyone can visit Mexico without experiencing true tacos al pastor, which have actually moorish/arabic origins which you notice in the similarity to shawarma/kebabs:

They're entirely different by now, of course , and yes, that's a huge slab of pineapple you see on the bottom left, they're usually on top of the meat thing and taqueros have this showy tradition of loping off a bit of pineapple and catching it with the already meated tortilla. That being said I'd say a good 60% or more of us take the pineapple off or just order them without. This is the same dish I linked to earlier.

This hypothetical foreigner would also HAVE to try an original, made-for-hours-and-hours mole:

I know you guys can now get "canned" or "bottled" concentrated mole (we can too in Supermarkets) but please believe me when I say those are pale, pale shadows of a real one made with like 40 fecking different ingredients by a little old lady who got up at 4am so it'd be ready by 2pm. Mole is the sauce ("mole", is actually the original word for "sauce" in nahuatl, but the meaning has changed now, kinda like "curry") and it usually covers a nice piece of chicken, but I swear the best part is the end when you grab a piece of tortilla and just clean the plate up of mole with it. Damn, I'm hungry now.

Also, I'd have to introduce you to an actual marketplace Tlayuda:

Which looks kinda ugly, (i've heard people call it the "Mexican pizza") but I swear it's nirvana made food, you can't really tell in the picture but it's giant sized, usually one is more than enough for a full grown man.

Then at night we'd find a tamal vendor with a long line, but not normal tamales (I find those kinda dry), but oaxacan tamales:

which are wrapped in banana leaf instead of corn husk thing, and are square and juicy and oh god my mouth is watering.

But, I don't know, this is just off the top of my head, I'd have to think about it.
Fuck yes to everything there.

ECPVe - Imgur.gif

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't know if it'd beat Chipotle, but that stuff does look great Calleja.

And I'm not trying to troll. I really love Chipotle. Like it's one of my top 5 places to eat.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't know if it'd beat Chipotle, but that stuff does look great Calleja.

And I'm not trying to troll. I really love Chipotle. Like it's one of my top 5 places to eat.
I love Chipotle. They should just call that place "burritos as big as your head"

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I love Chipotle. They should just call that place "burritos as big as your head"
Personally I find Freebirds to be superior in options + flavor.

Calleja

Calleja

Chipotle is great, I've actually been there... but it's really not "mexican food" it's more like "mexican-inspired food", which is I think the point I've been trying to make in this thread all along. And there's obviously nothing wrong with that, we all obviously enjoy non-italian pizza and non-japanese sushi (lots of sushi types have avocado down here), but with mexican food the difference is the average person DOES think mexicans eat like they do in Chipotle, and that I do want to... I dunno, raise awareness to?

Think of me as the LIVESTRONG of mexican food, raising awareness for actual non-americanized mexican delicacies. MEXSTRONG. SHITSTRONG.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wish, my head is HUGE!

Tress

Tress

Personally I find Freebirds to be superior in options + flavor.
What is this "Freebirds", and why don't I have one near me?[DOUBLEPOST=1359409781][/DOUBLEPOST]Just Googled it... *drooooool*

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What is this "Freebirds", and why don't I have one near me?
They are growing. Just a few years ago they only had two locations in College Station. Since they are expanding and I live fairly close to College Station... I want to know why there is not one near me either.

GasBandit

GasBandit

They've spread from Missouri to California. Hopefully soon you can all taste what Chipotle was trying to accomplish.

Frank

Frank

Everything I've read in this thread has lead me to believe that JULIO'S BARRIO is the most authentic Mexican food I could ever hope to eat.

20 bucks for a couple of fajitas? YES PLEASE!

Calleja

Calleja

(fajitas are tex-mex not mexican)

Frank

Frank

What's that? JULIO'S BARRIO serves Coronas upside down in a big lime margarita?

Isn't that the national beverage of Mexico?

Calleja

Calleja

It..... actually is, yeah. Corona is as big as Coca-Cola down here.

And, at least until a few years ago, Mexico consumed more Coca-Cola per capita than the US did.

Frank

Frank

Oh Jesus, really? I kind of assumed it was like Fosters in Australia. The garbage you exported to the rest of the world.

Calleja

Calleja

Wait, I meant Corona, margaritas aren't THAT popular, not as much as beer.

And if you put lemon(lime, whatever the fuck you call the small green ones) on a beer, you'd get your head cut off and your body hanging from an overpass.

Unless you make a michelada:

Then it's ok[DOUBLEPOST=1359411214][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh Jesus, really? I kind of assumed it was like Fosters in Australia. The garbage you exported to the rest of the world.
I should have said that MODELO, the maker of Corona, is as big as Coke down here... Corona, although very much best seller even here, yes, is definitely not the best beer they make.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I legitimately love this drink.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The creator of that drink should get a Nobel Prize.

Gared

Gared

Le sigh... the Mex left before the announcement from the head of Taco Bell that Cool Ranch is coming soon to a Dorito's Loco Taco near you.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Hidden Valley is not an actual ranch.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You what is just a weird way to eat a burger? With wheat bread. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't feel right either.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You what is just a weird way to eat a burger? With wheat bread. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't feel right either.
Just had a burger on wheat bread for lunch, and it was (as usual) amazing. If this is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Gared

Gared

Instead of calling it a burger when eating off of sliced bread, call it a patty melt. It feels less weird that way, though I believe the more common type of bread used for a patty melt is dark rye, not whole wheat.[DOUBLEPOST=1359490927][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hidden Valley is not an actual ranch.
I think it may be more accurate to say that, instead, Hidden Valley is only an actual ranch for certain values of Hidden Valley and certain values of ranch.

Hidden Valley Ranch, WA

Covar

Covar

You know what's awesome for burgers? Pretzel buns.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Bagels make awesomer buns.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've also had burgers on waffles, blueberry bagels, english muffins, sourdough, tortillas, naan and hawaiian sweet rolls. There's a lot of types of bread that burgers taste good on.

I've yet to try a croissant, though. Or a doughnut. Or a cinnamon roll.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They really do, my favorite are those awesome onion bagels.

Now with wheat bread its not the taste its mostly how I have a history of my burgers slipping out of the bread. Buns and bagels though are more secure which I like in a sandwich.

I've yet to try a croissant, though. Or a doughnut. Or a cinnamon roll.
Is that illegal? I feel like thats illegal. What am I thinking of?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Doughnuts are what variants of the Lutherburger are made out of.

The one main component of the Lutherburger (named for the late Luther Vandross) was that, instead of putting all the cheese and burger patties on a bun, you put it on a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

I have never had the urge to have a hamburger of any kind on a doughnut. I've had them on bagels, though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm too afraid of what would become of me once I had tasted the Luther to actually allow myself to taste it even once.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm too afraid of what would become of me once I had tasted the Luther to actually allow myself to taste it even once.
You can't handle the itis?

GasBandit

GasBandit

You can't handle the itis?
I'm afraid I'd become a male version of Janet O'Siren.

blotsfan

blotsfan

While we're being judgemental about food, I just wanna throw this one out:

Bagels other than garlic should not exist.

strawman

strawman

Frank

Frank

It's delicious.

I did it once to try it, learned just how ridiculous delicious it was and vowed to never eat it again for the same reason you won't eat it. I would weigh 700 pounds before I could stop.

GasBandit

GasBandit

While we're being judgemental about food, I just wanna throw this one out:

Bagels other than garlic should not exist.
I assume you've never experienced the mindblowing wonder that is the potato bagel.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Never heard of it. Looks like it'd be good if you put some garlic on it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

My problem has never been liking one thing so much I can't stop. It's liking so many things I can't eat everything I have a craving for.

Cajungal

Cajungal

My problem has never been liking one thing so much I can't stop. It's liking so many things I can't eat everything I have a craving for.
So true. I love too many things. People laugh at me at lunchtime at work because all I talk about is people's lunches. "Ooh that looks good--what did you make? Where do you get that??"

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I loooove to cook so I'm always excited to see what people made so I can try to find a recipe (or get theirs) and make it myself. Not to brag, but I am becoming quite a good cook. It's wonderful!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Speaking of burgers: I just had one. Turkey burger, grilled to well done, with a slice of American cheese, some ketchup and light ranch dressing, on whole wheat Sandwich Thins. And crinkle-cut fries.

How did I eat it? One bite at a time, y'all. One bite at a time.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Speaking of burgers: I just had one. Turkey burger, grilled to well done, with a slice of American cheese, some ketchup and light ranch dressing, on whole wheat Sandwich Thins. And crinkle-cut fries.

How did I eat it? One bite at a time, y'all. One bite at a time.
Personally love Turkey Burgers teriyaki style. Nice grilled Pineapple Slice + Sauce mmmmm!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

One food that takes skill to not eat messily is a hard-shelled taco. Bite at the wrong angle, and the stuff will aaaaaaaaaaaall fall out and you will be the fool. YOU WILL BE THE FOOL!

jwhouk

jwhouk

One tip about eating burgers - don't eat the ones you get at gas stations.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The closest burger joint to me is a Hardees (That's Carl's Jr to anyone outside the south) attached to a gas station.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm talking those that are solely gas stations, not add-ons.

Gared

Gared

Though to be fair, the burgers (and the rest of the food as well) from my local McChevron StationDonald's are horrible.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

How bad are they? Like just bad flavor, space-worms, or both?

Gared

Gared

How bad are they? Like just bad flavor, space-worms, or both?
Just bad flavor and bad execution. They've never actually made me sick, which is amazing considering my IBS, but the employees at that location don't seem to like to season the meat like they're supposed to, so it's bland. And they seem to have a hard time with that whole "filter the oil once a week" thing, so the fries are always extra nasty. And they have a habit of not always cooking the nuggets as long as they should, so they're slightly soggy instead of nice and crisp. Plus they always seem to be able to fuck up even the simplest of orders.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

UGH! Good to know.

Nuggets are definitely a guilty pleasure for me, I know they are absolute horrible and made from old fat chickens but they be TASTY!

Also I nothing KFC. Just bland, bland chicken if you ask me.

Gared

Gared

UGH! Good to know.

Nuggets are definitely a guilty pleasure for me, I know they are absolute horrible and made from old fat chickens but they be TASTY!

KFC used to be good, but they made them stop frying the chicken in partially hydrogenated soybean oil, and it's sucked ever since.[DOUBLEPOST=1359865876][/DOUBLEPOST]Coincidentally, or not really, that's the same reason the quality of McDonald's fries went down. Once we were forced to stop frying them in beef tallow we switched to PHSO, and then they had to stop using that and now the fries suck donkey balls.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

McDonald's fries are WEIRD in my opinion. Depending on the conditions be it refrigeration or just leaving them out a while their texture changes almost completely even more than normal foods.

You know whats great after a chilling though? Garlic bread. I don't know why, but it just the moisture of the fridge just brings out the flavor!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I hate McDonalds fries. They're just plain gross. They taste like over salted cardboard. If I have to eat fast food, my favorite place is Wendy's. It's actually a good thing that the one near my house closed and was repaced with a Subway.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I hate McDonalds fries. They're just plain gross. They taste like over salted cardboard. If I have to eat fast food, my favorite place is Wendy's. It's actually a good thing that the one near my house closed and was repaced with a Subway.
Certain McDonald's food have actually been found to contain traces of cardboard.

(I read some articles about this a while back and now I can't find them. I wonder if McDonald's lawyers had them taken down....)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

THATS IT! Cardboard taste! Plus unlike GOOD fries that you get at restaurant they don't get all moist and wondeful when you put them in the fridge as well as somehow saltier. McDonald's fries just go cardboardish.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I quit eating KFC thanks to the one on Rte 30 in Hammonton. I went in there once to pick up a bucket of chicken for dinner at my parents' house because my mom wanted to use a coupon she had. There were so many flies in that place!! It was disgusting. After that I can't even think about KFC without feeling nauseous.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I quit eating KFC thanks to the one on Rte 30 in Hammonton. I went in there once to pick up a bucket of chicken for dinner at my parents' house because my mom wanted to use a coupon she had. There were so many flies in that place!! It was disgusting. After that I can't even think about KFC without feeling nauseous.
I know, that place is AWFUL! My friend's mom used to work there and would retell her horror stories of the place.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I used to work at a Hardee's, and I still liked their food OK after that. EXCEPT their fried chicken. I was the only employee over 18, so I had to work the chicken station. I'll never eat that stuff.... like ever.

figmentPez

figmentPez

What does being over 18 have to do with cooking chicken?

strawman

strawman

Perhaps the rotisserie ovens were considered heavy equipment.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It's a liability issue because you're working with raw chicken. Danger of E-coli.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't even think Hardees carry fried chicken anymore.

GasBandit

GasBandit

One food that takes skill to not eat messily is a hard-shelled taco. Bite at the wrong angle, and the stuff will aaaaaaaaaaaall fall out and you will be the fool. YOU WILL BE THE FOOL!
This is why Taco Bell invented the double decker taco. Got a hard taco? Slather some refried beans on a flour tortilla, place around the corn taco shell. Bam.. Broken pieces STAY WHERE THEY ARE.

Shakey

Shakey

Every once in a while I get an urge to eat one. I don't know what it is about them, but I kind of like them.

Gared

Gared

This is why Taco Bell invented the double decker taco. Got a hard taco? Slather some refried beans on a flour tortilla, place around the corn taco shell. Bam.. Broken pieces STAY WHERE THEY ARE.
Mmm... double decker taco supreme, with one packet each of hot and fire sauce. So tasty.

Covar

Covar

I'm talking those that are solely gas stations, not add-ons.
what about Sheetz?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I know not of what you speak.

LordRendar

LordRendar

what about Sheetz?
I always get the Sheetz after eating a gas station burger.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I always get the Sheetz after eating a gas station burger.
Then pray that you make the remaining 2 hours of your drive...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I like making burritos but I either put too much stuff in it, or the tortilla breaks apart. So I either am too eager or too unlucky. Hows your burrito luck?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm terrible at making burritos. Good thing I prefer tacos.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I'm terrible at making burritos. Good thing I prefer tacos.
Is this all a euphemism?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Is this all a euphemism?
Everything is always a euphemism.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Everything is always a euphemism.
..You just blew my mind

Also, my mind is a euphemism.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And that reminds me of how there is a fetish for every single thing that has ever existed. I'm not grossed out...more or less impressed by how amazing our world is.

Cajungal

Cajungal

We are nothing if not creative.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Just think...somewhere out in the world there is a guy turned on by a mail-box. Humanity.

Cajungal

Cajungal

It's just a semi-circular vagina... and some guys can't resist a red flag.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Tell me a guy who can resist a red flag and you got a guy who doesn't exist. LORD I'm drunk.

Back to food, I don't know who makes Trader Joe's Burritos but they know what the FUCK they are doing.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I have an acquaintance who looks downright disgusted if I ever use the phrase "fish taco" in his presence.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The first time a waiter told me that their restaurant sold "fish tacos," I spit out my iced tea.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Gared

Gared

Two words: Fish McBites.

Just when you think McDonald's couldn't get any worse. Oh, who am I kidding. They can always get worse.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Does anyone else find it weird how the dorito taco came out AFTER Kim Possible was on the air? You'd think they would've done a cross promotional deal or somethin'.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Does anyone else find it weird how the dorito taco came out AFTER Kim Possible was on the air? You'd think they would've done a cross promotional deal or somethin'.
Seems to me that a partnership with Taco Bueno would have been a better fit.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Tacos have been bumped up a day. They will now be available tomorrow, March 6th

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Two words: Fish McBites.

Just when you think McDonald's couldn't get any worse. Oh, who am I kidding. They can always get worse.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

I have an acquaintance who looks downright disgusted if I ever use the phrase "fish taco" in his presence.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I refuse to believe Jason Alexander EVER had hair. Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope...