How To Properly Eat a Burger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I just eat the main first and leave the side(s) for if I have enough room.

I eat hierarchically.
I eat one thing at a time as well (no alternating allowed!) but I cannot leave fries to cool down. I guess I typically eat the sides first and then the main course, so opposite order to you.

Fries are usually the least important part of my meal and it's not like they get downright cold, they're just not scalding hot anymore. I'd rather eat cold fries (or not) than eat a cold burger or whatever.

Speaking of which, at breakfast restaurants, eggs get eaten first since nothing is worse than cold eggs. I'm usually starving by the time I get my food too, so my eggs are usually gone in like 12 seconds.

I eat my meals in escalating order of how much I like the food. Kind of saving the best for last.

Also, the idea of eating a hamburger with a knife and fork is tantamount to herasy, regardless of how fancy the restraunt is.

BananaHands

Staff member
Ergo THEY'RE NOT TACOS. Dude, if someone made a burger with hard bread thing that fucking CRACKS when you bite out of it and went around the world calling it a "American Food Burger!" you'd balk too.

If another country can do something like this with a burger then I'll totally allow it.

Damn you Calleja! Now I'm going to have to make tacos this weekend. You'd think in a town with hundreds, if not thousands, of Mexican immigrants running around that there'd be at least one decent taqueria; but no, around here all of the Mexican immigrants eat the same food as everyone else if they want a fresh meal... sushi, from the one good sushi place in Kent. We have no tacos, we have no pho, we have no curries, we have no Mediterranean food, we have no pierogies, we have no decent sausages, we have no German food, nothing but crap in a town full of immigrants from all over the world, all of whom should have some local place to get the awesome foods of their motherlands. Kent got fucked.

Damn you Calleja! Now I'm going to have to make tacos this weekend. You'd think in a town with hundreds, if not thousands, of Mexican immigrants running around that there'd be at least one decent taqueria; but no, around here all of the Mexican immigrants eat the same food as everyone else if they want a fresh meal... sushi, from the one good sushi place in Kent. We have no tacos, we have no pho, we have no curries, we have no Mediterranean food, we have no pierogies, we have no decent sausages, we have no German food, nothing but crap in a town full of immigrants from all over the world, all of whom should have some local place to get the awesome foods of their motherlands. Kent got fucked.
What is the weather like in Kent? I will open a restaurant in Kent. I will make a killing. But only if the winter is mild or nonexistent.

What is the weather like in Kent? I will open a restaurant in Kent. I will make a killing. But only if the winter is mild or nonexistent.
So far this year our most strenuous winter weather was six straight days of fog with minor overnight freezing, and we're not expected to see any snowfall events this year. Last year we did have freezing rain, though.[DOUBLEPOST=1359142374][/DOUBLEPOST]And, I mean, we do have restaurants that serve that litany of ethnic foods that I listed out... it's just that they ALL suck.

If another country can do something like this with a burger then I'll totally allow it.
BUT THEN DON'T CALL IT TACO! Call it an "mexican shell" or something... would you like it if the spurious hard-bread burger began being MORE WELL KNOWN than the original one? Think about it. Thanks to taco bell and such (do NOT attempt to tell me Bell had nothing to do with the widespread of the "taco shell") the fucking imitation with yellow cheese (NOTHING in Mexico EVER uses that godawful cheese-like product) is what most people in the world picture when they see the word "taco". I'm sorry, you can enjoy your awful shell as much as you like, but the minute it starts trying to supersede the ORIGINAL taco, which is every day now, I'll jump at it's fucking THROAT AND KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Dave

Staff member
Ergo THEY'RE NOT TACOS. Dude, if someone made a burger with hard bread thing that fucking CRACKS when you bite out of it and went around the world calling it a "American Food Burger!" you'd balk too.[DOUBLEPOST=1359138185][/DOUBLEPOST]

You don't. Tostadas are FLAT... hard tortillas are FLAT. Taco shells are abominations probably made in that shape already, like pringles.

So a tostada you just lift and bite into, no tilting necessary.[DOUBLEPOST=1359138505][/DOUBLEPOST]This is a typical tostada though they come in hundreds of varieties:

You'll notice that's WAY closer to the "taco" you guys created in the US than an actual mexican taco which does NOT have cream and grinded cheese or whatnot:

Damn you. Me so hungry!

I need to get better at making store bought tortillas not suck. I've yet to achieve that wonderful balance of pliable enough to fold but not mushy or horribly dry. Calleja, can I use cotija or some other Mexican cheese, or is cheese of all kinds verboten when it comes to proper taco fixin's?

I need to get better at making store bought tortillas not suck. I've yet to achieve that wonderful balance of pliable enough to fold but not mushy or horribly dry. Calleja, can I use cotija or some other Mexican cheese, or is cheese of all kinds verboten when it comes to proper taco fixin's?
WHAT!? Cotija is a hard, aged cheese!! KEEP THAT AWAY FROM TACOS!

Tacos with cheese are always with melty, stringy cheese. The cheese most taquerias use is called "Asadero", as in "queso asadero", but I think it's a more melty version of Chihuhua cheese, which should be way easier to get.

So the end result should be something like this:

Which you then fork over to the tortilla.[DOUBLEPOST=1359145661][/DOUBLEPOST]That picture, I should add, is of what we call an "alambre de pastor", which is the same meat you saw in the picture of the tacos I linked but mixed with melted cheese, green peppers and (fried)onions. It's usually served with a plate of tortillas and you fork it over, but sometimes they're served already as "tacos", already on tortillas. (this usually means you get less)

BUT THEN DON'T CALL IT TACO! Call it an "mexican shell" or something... would you like it if the spurious hard-bread burger began being MORE WELL KNOWN than the original one? Think about it. Thanks to taco bell and such (do NOT attempt to tell me Bell had nothing to do with the widespread of the "taco shell") the fucking imitation with yellow cheese (NOTHING in Mexico EVER uses that godawful cheese-like product) is what most people in the world picture when they see the word "taco". I'm sorry, you can enjoy your awful shell as much as you like, but the minute it starts trying to supersede the ORIGINAL taco, which is every day now, I'll jump at it's fucking THROAT AND KILL IT WITH FIRE.
Welcome to the evolution of language.

This is not a word evolving into a new use, dude. This is SOMETHING DIFFERENT taking OVER the name for something that's still very much around.

Bwahahaha! Too bad, Calleja Languages, and English especially, co-opt words with new meanings all the time. For better or worse, meanings evolve and there's nothing you can do about it![DOUBLEPOST=1359147479][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is not a word evolving into a new use, dude. This is SOMETHING DIFFERENT taking OVER the name for something that's still very much around.
Words can also mean more than one thing at a time!

GasBandit

Staff member
We park in a driveway and drive on a parkway and there's nothing you can do about it.

Bwahahaha! Too bad, Calleja Languages, and English especially, co-opt words with new meanings all the time. For better or worse, meanings evolve and there's nothing you can do about it!
Again, this is not language "evolving". It's co-opting, yes, but that doesn't mean there aren't things that can be done against it while there's still time, this is not some inevitable thing, words have been consciously changed before. There's lots I can do about it, and being vocal about it is one of the main ones.

Now there are a dozen forum members who realize the difference, just because of my bitching.

We park in a driveway and drive on a parkway and there's nothing you can do about it.
again, not the same thing, for that simile to apply the original tacos would have a DIFFERENT name that's been changed or whatever. This is an instance of two DIFFERENT things using the same name for no reason other than marketing.

Here's a question for you. Burritos: rice on the inside, or as a side?
Burritos aren't really mexican. They're more of a tex-mex thing. They're a border thing.

That said, I've NEVER had a burrito with rice inside, but, again, burritos down here are american food.[DOUBLEPOST=1359147761][/DOUBLEPOST]
you missed your own picture to complete the fag trifecta :D

(i kid, i kid)

BananaHands

Staff member
Burritos aren't really mexican. They're more of a tex-mex thing. They're a border thing.

That said, I've NEVER had a burrito with rice inside, but, again, burritos down here are american food.[DOUBLEPOST=1359147761][/DOUBLEPOST]

you missed your own picture to complete the fag trifecta :D

(i kid, i kid)

And while I see your point, BananaHands, it's still not exactly the same phenomenon cause no one would confuse a bundle of sticks with a cigarette, but american and mexican tacos ARE sort of mutually exclusive in that people think of one or the other, there are no terms to differentiate them as far as I know (like American Football vs Soccer or whatever)

Ask a Texan and a Spaniard what queso is.[DOUBLEPOST=1359148166][/DOUBLEPOST]I also bring shame to my Canadian bros by calling it "soda".

Status
Not open for further replies.