How to play Left 4 Dead (2).

If 8 player coop was possible, I'd play with you guys again. I enjoy the coop, but I don't really like the vs mode.
Well, we HAVE been talking about splitting into two groups (normal and advanced) and doing co-op because doing vs. almost every time is getting very old.

Just so you guys know, I have been compiling a list of all the times Terrik gets yelled at. It is very impressive.

figmentPez

Staff member
Campaigns I've played:

A Dam Mission: Best summed up in this screenshot:
2015-10-13_00006 Errors with missing textures.jpg

Yes, that is a sea of errors, and the errors have missing textures. I don't even know.
Also, this:
2015-10-13_00002 Sea of Errors.jpg

Redemption: Has a lot of unique melee weapons. Rebar & concrete clubs are cool, but using severed arms and legs and clubs was just needlessly gruesome, IMO. The designers tout a "New final mechanic" but it's just a variation on gas can collection, using different props.

The Bloody Moors: The people who designed this campaign can rename the VPKs to TXT, print out the resulting filesand set fire to the paper while they're sitting in the middle of this betrayal of a campaign. I feel extra betrayed because it got off to a good start. There's creepy music, nice atmosphere, and the idea of setting a L4D2 mission in the Moors of England is fantastic. I especially like that if you wander off onto the moors, away from the road, it really is empty, and all that's out there are "tanks". Well, the custom tanks which are...
werewolves. A little predictable, but I think it works well. Makes me think that a team based movie monster hunting game could work. Vampires, mummies, werewolves, etc.
Then the betrayal sets in. Maps that go on far too long, lead to a long winding underground maze of tunnels, which periodically open into giant caverns, all of which are far too dark. It's hard to tell where you're going, which caverns need to be explored, and which just passed by, and it goes on, and on, and on, and on. With several tank fights, numerous areas that alert the horde, and seemingly endless stretches of brown rock walls.
The finale is full of bullshit too. Imagine if the cola run from Dead Center were down a long alleyway, and the hordes never stopped coming. Then, when you'd delivered the cola, it triggered two tanks at once while you're surrounded by explosive barrels.

Fuck the Bloody Moors.

2019 - Bland, but effective, level design. It works, and it does achieve a clean, Mirror's Edge-esque look. However, it doesn't really do much with that, and ends up feeling a little repetitive. There's no reason to recommend this campaign.

Silent Fear - A single map that's very full of fog. Wander around the area finding glyphs, and once you find all five, make your way to a bullshit boss fight. I don't know what comes after that, because the bots are useless and I didn't feel like finding the glyphs again.

Blood Proof - An unremarkable campaign that works well enough, except for one area where a wrong turn can leave you unable to get to switch to turn off the alarm, turning the entire rest of the level into an unending panic event. It's kind of a major flaw.

Deadbeat Escape - Moderately bad level design. Random open spaces interspersed with areas that are too cramped. It's not terrible, but it's not impressive, either.

Plan B - Forgettable, I think. I know I played it, I don't remember a thing about it.

Dead Vacation - Bad in a bland and shrug-inducing way.

SaltHell Park - I'm of mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, the campaign itself is okay, though I didn't like the finale. On the other hand, the Easter egg gimmick of hidden gnomes is pretty fun. On the 4 maps before the finale, there are 10 hidden gnomes (2-3 per map), and if you find and shoot them, interesting things happen. It might cause a tank to be released, or for a whole bunch of consumables to get thrown to you, or even teleport you into a movie tribute. It's pretty crazy. The gnomes are damn hard to find, though.

Death Woods: Terrible map design, just terrible. Large open areas. Poor indication of where to go. Invisible walls at the edges the walkable space in huge open areas. It's just a mess.

L4D2 Plants vs Zombies - It's a map that sets you up against waves of zombies while defending the house from PvZ. There are even pea shooters to help you out. I didn't complete it because bots are too stupid for this concept. Judging by comments it's got some high bullshit levels for difficulty, with 3+ tanks spawning at once.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've tried a lot more campaigns.

Most were completely forgettable. Not bad, just not remarkable. Might even play them again, just for variety.
Open Road
25 to Life
Fatal Freight
Death Row
7 Hours Later II

Some, however, stood out:

The Last Volt - This one was just moderately bad. I think this is one where I couldn't figure out how to get to the rescue vehicle.

ZMB-13 - This is some new levels of bullshit map design. Frustratingly bad. Repetitive, maze-like, bland. This campaign is horrible.

Echo - By far the worst campaign I've played yet. Not only is this poorly conceived, it's horribly executed. The map author notes "Map 2: Has lag issues at points" YEAH? You think so? Holy crap, maybe it's because of all the errors, and phantom objects. There were points where I was walking around, trying to find the proper route, and I kept bumping into objects that would flicker in and out of view, often multiple objects all colliding in the same space, apparently fighting to exist. All while trying to figure out what way to go, with jumping down the wrong hole often meaning you've backtracked a significant amount.

The first map consists of running all over creation to fuel up some pumps. The bots had an even more difficult time navigating than I did, but that's not where the bullshit ends. Once you're done with this, you get the message to run through the drained tunnels. Only it's not a short panic event. It's a long tunnel crawl... though a maze of caves with no supplies. No ammo piles, no guns, no health. Just some gas cans and propane tanks. I would have given up if it were an actual rolling crescendo the whole way.

In fact, a lack of weapons and ammo is a favorite of this campaign. And none of the safe rooms have any supplies in them. There are some supplies scattered around the start of the level, but you have to grab your medkits on the fly.
I wasn't able to actually finish the final stage, because bots can't get on the rescue platform. But the level getting that far is a doozy. The finale takes place on top of an urban building, that has a small corn field just outside the elevator, which borders on a greenhouse, that leads to an office area, which then goes into a hallway that looks residential. The design makes absolutely no sense. And the rescue plaform lowers down from even higher up, and has mounted guns on it. I can't even.

This campaign makes no sense. Was it made by aliens whose only knowledge of Earth comes from fan-made Duke Nukem 3D levels?

GasBandit

Staff member
I tried to show GB is the Worst to a RL friend of mine. He watched politely but clearly it did not resonate with him.

I'm thinking since it's Halloween, maybe we should revisit our roots and play some this weekend. Maybe finally play the Dead Before Dawn, or Blood Sacrifice? I can't guarantee how late I'd be getting on Friday or Saturday though. Probably 8/8:30 MST on Friday night, and 9 or later MST on Saturday. BUT it's American DST ending day on Saturday anyways, so you guys can all stay up to wait for me right?!