How to play Left 4 Dead (2).

Yeah, if you try and disrupt the lesson, it spawns a Tank in almost as bullshit a set of circumstances as the finale of Warcelona.

Everytime @Terrik is offline on Steam, I need to go to his damn profile and make sure he's ACTUALLY offline. This gaming mom thing is hard. :p

figmentPez

Staff member
I can't decide how I feel about Overkill. On one hand, the third stage is amazing. Mounted gun placements that are actually useful, getting to call in air strikes, rushing to defend three different fronts. It's pretty damn good.

On the other hand... The second stage involves walking through tunnels filled with neurotoxin, which slowly drains your health. Which could be a very punishing mechanic on higher difficulties. Plus, the final stage is a rolling crescendo, where you're forced forward by a spreading cloud of neurotoxin. This one is really difficult with bots, because they fall behind quite easily, and the cloud is an instakill.

I wouldn't put it high on the list to play in co-op, but that third stage is so amazing.

--

I wish Devil Mountain supported versus, because it's a great map. I've played through it several times now, and it works pretty well.

--
My rankings for what I think are the best maps we haven't played co-op yet (*supports versus):
  1. Suicide Blitz*
  2. Devil Mountain
  3. Dead Before Dawn*
  4. Yama*
  5. Energy Crisis
  6. Overkill
Keep in mind that I've only played these on Easy with bots. I can't vouch for what levels of bullshit they'll feel like on Advanced. Though none show obvious signs of being ridiculous, save Overkill.

Also, I think I need to use THIS.

You're the one who said you were bailing on us for most of the next week. We'll just be here, waiting. Or not.

GasBandit

Staff member
You're the one who said you were bailing on us for most of the next week. We'll just be here, waiting. Or not.
He'll be gone for a week, then when he returns it'll be like that episode of Rome when Titus Pullo returned to find the Aventine district a charred husk with the collegia conducting open war against each other in the streets.

figmentPez

Staff member
Played a couple more campaigns, neither of which I can recommend:

Highway to Hell - Bullshit of a completely different type from Warcelona. The map design is best described as a cluttered maze with no sense of scale. It goes from wide open streets that are much too large, to tiny cramped hallways that barely have room to open the doors. All with many paths that don't go anywhere, and often go in circles. Plus, the map designer loves to put alarms everywhere. On shop windows, on homes with burglar alarms, on doors you have to go through, on gates you don't have to go through. Some give you warning, some don't. I spent most of my time wandering around with no idea which direction to go, often coming back to an area I'd been in, sometimes several times before. Even going the "right" direction, the path loops back to be right next to where you were before so many times it became frustrating. Even when making progress, it often felt like I wasn't just because I was coming back to the same spots over and over. One spot I came to at least three times, not because I was lost, but because the path skirted around the same pit from three different angles.

Dead Vacation - Meh. Pretty mediocre level design. Not terrible, but far from good. There were several times where panic events started for no apparent reason or one of the special infected alerted the horde. The most interesting part was the finale, where you get to reinforce 3 windows of your choice, and deploy a minigun in one of several locations. Then...
When rescue arrives, one of the helicopters crashes into the building, causing mass destruction, and radically changing the map. Everything had already gone to hell at that point, so I couldn't even find out how to get on the remaining helicopter. I ended up falling to my death. When I respawned in the safe room, two of the survivors were just gone, and quit.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sigh, I fucked up the render. Re-rendering Questionable Ethics now. Sooo it probably won't get posted until tomorrow morning.

figmentPez

Staff member
Found this today: Kokiri Forest

I played through the first stage, and liked it so much I wanted to save the rest for a co-op run. The map includes rupees, hearts, music, rolling boulders (which killed all my bots), grass that can be cut, the lost woods, chests, keys.... Who knows what else. I fully expect there to be some sort of bullshit at some point, but hopefully the good parts will make up for it.