[MLB] Honkbal 2013

You know, it's so quiet at PNC that you can hear two guys talking behind home plate about if they want a hot dog.

A hearty congratulations to the Mariners' pitching staff tonight, for successfully giving up the first cycle of the 2013 season. Oh, and congrats to Trout, too. Guess that magical time of every season has arrived - when the Mariners slump until it's numerically impossible for them to make the playoffs, and then pick back up a little.

Is there a record out there for number of times hitting through the cycle in a specific period of time? Because it's the bottom of the 2nd and Trout already has a single and a triple... and Maurer's on the mound, so there's a chance he could have a second cycle in two days before the 3rd inning's over.

The record is twice in one season, shared by four men:
  • Babe Herman (May 18/July 24, 1931, 67 days)
  • Aaron Hill (June 18/29, 2012, 11 days)
  • Tip O'Neill (April 30/May 7, 1887, 8 days)
  • John Reilly (September 12/19, 1883, 7 days)
No one has ever done it in back-to-back days in ML history.

Ok, seriously - how many games are we going to have to not only lose, but lose badly, before management realizes that this "bright new pitching star" who never even pitched in AAA ball, just absolutely sucks? He's 2-7, his ERA is 6.93, he's had three games where he pitched fewer than 5 innings (including one where he only went 2/3 of an inning and still managed to give up 6 earned runs after facing 10 batters), and the only time he has reliable "control" of his fastball is when he's throwing it middle-middle.

Of course, you kinda saw this coming back in April when we sent the other guy who was struggling (Beavin) down to the minors because he had a 6+ ERA, and Maurer had an 11+ ERA.

...the fuck is your problem, Giants? The whole pitching staff needs to pull their collective heads out of their asses.

Sigh...

As fun as the season has been so far, I can't help shake the feeling that sudden but inevitable betrayal is just around the corner. :hide:

But it sure feels good to kick the crap out of the Brewers at every opportunity. 1999 will not be forgotten.

Oh hey, M's manager Eric Wedge is finally feeling the pressure to have a team that can hit the damn ball. It's about time. Of course, it didn't help that we had to wait until we got the Cubs' starting pitcher out of the game before we really started hitting the ball tonight. And it also probably doesn't really help that of tonight's starting lineup, 2 of the players were on our season opener lineup. I know every team has some adjustment to be made throughout the season, but this is ridiculous. That, and I really do think it's time for Franklin Gutierrez to retire. He's played in 18 games so far this season, with hamstring problems sending him to the DL multiple times already.

Hell, the team could probably really use a new conditioning coach. I swear half the team is hurt on any given day.

Next time I get a chance to get to Milwaukee, I'll see if they have run up the white flag above Miller Park.

And yes, DA, to answer your question in the Shoutbox, they will break your heart.

They always break your heart.

Even then, they break your heart. My Packers have done it, despite winning the Super Bowl thrice in my lifetime (twice that I could actually remember it).

It's a damn good thing we've got the all-star break coming up. 148 pitches? Kid's not gonna have an arm for a week.