[MLB] Honkbal 2013

Would it make you happy that I'd wear a Brooklyn cap instead? :D

Sorry, I guess I still have this thing about teams that book for points south from my native state.
Wasn't your current team yoinked from Seattle by a used car dealer? :ninja:

But yeah. Fuck the Braves. Fuck them now and forever.

They didn't want them any more. :p

The whole thing with the Pilots was one big fustercluck from day one. If MLB knew then what they know now, they'd have ditched Montreal and Seattle for Texas and Milwaukee.

They didn't want them any more. :p

The whole thing with the Pilots was one big fustercluck from day one. If MLB knew then what they know now, they'd have ditched Montreal and Seattle for Texas and Milwaukee.
Amen to that. This has to be one of the worst possible cities for MLB - the fans are all fair-weather fans, the ownership and front office management couldn't care less if the team had the players they need to be competitive, and we've gone through so many managers over the past 10 or so years (ever since Lou left) that it's getting difficult to find anyone stupid enough to take the job. Not to mention the fact that the team managed to successfully lobby to get Griffey Jr. to come back for his final season, to retire as a Mariner; and then pissed him off so much that he just left mid season, without even telling the team he was leaving until he was half way back to Florida.

The only possible good to come out of this most recent season is the fact that Wedge quit (he was a nice guy but a lousy manager) and that the owner died (god rest his soul).

Zappit

Staff member
Wow. Sox were looking like they were going to get dominated by Detroit pitching again tonight. Papi blasts a grand slam to tie it, and Salty brings in Gomes in the bottom of the ninth! YES! This series has only just begun!

Zappit

Staff member
Another Grand Slam! Tigers pen blows it again! Red Sox going to the series!

You ask me if this happens during Spring Training, I would have laughed. Hard. Never thought it would turn out like this. Hell, the offseason plan basically read, "Let's overpay average free agents so we can get another twenty wins this year."

And then it worked. IT FREAKIN' WORKED!

Sox fans used up all their goodwill by turning into insufferable pricks after 2004. Now they're just the Yankees with a different accent.

Not that rooting for the Cards is any better. :puke:

Zappit

Staff member
So Dodgers fans and Giants fans put each other in the hospital, Pittsburgh fans attack a player's wife, Rays fans only show up to the stadium during the playoffs, and Phillies fans - the less said the better. A Yankees fan stabs a Sox fan in a bar, without any provocation. But Sox fans are so terrible? Come on. Let's have a little perspective.

So Dodgers fans and Giants fans put each other in the hospital, Pittsburgh fans attack a player's wife, Rays fans only show up to the stadium during the playoffs, and Phillies fans - the less said the better. A Yankees fan stabs a Sox fan in a bar, without any provocation. But Sox fans are so terrible? Come on. Let's have a little perspective.
You're comparing extreme isolated incidents to the general smugness and obnoxious behavior of a large majority of Boston fans. At least Boston fans outside of Boston. I have yet to meet a BoSox fan out here who isn't:

A) clueless about baseball, and just jumped on the bandwagon,
or
B) a rude entitled asshole who throws a fit whenever Boston doesn't win everything or someone doesn't acknowledge Boston's obvious superiority.

Zappit

Staff member
Maybe I've got rose-tinted glasses on this one. I come from a family that's been fans forever, who waited decades upon decades for that WS win. But by no means is it some vast majority of Sox fans that are jerks. That's like condemning all Texan fans for the group that was cheering Schaub's injury, or stalking him to harass him before the game. Every fandom has its assholes and jerks, and plenty of good folks. There's plenty of great, true Sox fans, those who remember the Time of the Long Suffering, and you can't knock them because of the cretins who spoil it.

Maybe I've got rose-tinted glasses on this one. I come from a family that's been fans forever, who waited decades upon decades for that WS win. But by no means is it some vast majority of Sox fans that are jerks. That's like condemning all Texan fans for the group that was cheering Schaub's injury, or stalking him to harass him before the game. Every fandom has its assholes and jerks, and plenty of good folks. There's plenty of great, true Sox fans, those who remember the Time of the Long Suffering, and you can't knock them because of the cretins who spoil it.
The fans you're talking about may as well be unicorns. Find me one like that to talk to around here, and my opinion of the fanbase will improve.

Zappit

Staff member
Let's see, you're in California...Find a good Dodgers fans. Isn't half the Dodgers former Sox? Beckett, Crawford, Gonzalez, Hanley...A great Dodger fan is like one quarter Sox fan by technicality. Do the math on that, and there's better numbers than you think. Granted, math wasn't my strongest subject...

Let's see, you're in California...Find a good Dodgers fans. Isn't half the Dodgers former Sox? Beckett, Crawford, Gonzalez, Hanley...A great Dodger fan is like one quarter Sox fan by technicality. Do the math on that, and there's better numbers than you think. Granted, math wasn't my strongest subject...
Okay, listen. I can gripe about Red Sox fans, but I'm not really serious about it. I know there are good fans and bad fans, and I was just using hyperbole to highlight an ongoing problem I perceive with bandwagon-jumping and smugness that I run into with self-professed Boston fans outside of the Boston area. I know not all Boston fans are bad. That's just silly.

But let's be clear: there is no such thing as a "good Dodgers fan." To suggest such a thing is blasphemy.

My favorite part about Boston Fans is how they insist that the Yankees spend way to much money, but the right amount is the equally absurdly high number 2 place the Sox occupy.

Zappit

Staff member
Wow. Cards must be a bit nervous tonight. The infield is playing downright sloppy. Not Beltran, though. Damn, you'll never see another player snag a Grand Slam ball that casually again.

There has been very little in the way of positive stuff that has come out of Milwaukee this year, baseball-wise. But the news that Carlos Gomez just won the franchise's first Gold Glove Award in over 30 years is a bright spot.

Zappit

Staff member
YES!!! Boston won't sleep tonight!

Oh, and even better, Tim McCarver will never ruin a broadcast again.

ugh, now I get to listen to all the bandwagon Red Sox fans who didn't realize baseball was a thing until Oct 2004 go on about how important this was for Boston.

It's amazing how many people out here in California are suddenly "lifelong" Red Sox fans, but can't name a player from any previous roster.

Zappit

Staff member
It's amazing how many people out here in California are suddenly "lifelong" Red Sox fans, but can't name a player from any previous roster.
Dodger fans can't name a former Sox player? That's kind of funny, given LA's penchant for signing former Sox. There have been times where a third of the roster were ex-Sox.

So, on a completely and utterly unrelated note... I hear the Cubs are interviewing Wedge to replace Baker. I can't decide if they're completely pants-on-head retarded; or if I want to see them hire him and win the World Series next year just to drive yet another nail into the "Jack Z needs to go" Mariners coffin.

Part of me thinks that the reason for the failure of the Cubs is the amount of alcohol ingested in the area surrounded by Clark, Addison, Waveland and Sheffield.

And there's also the theory that the place is built on an ancient native American burial ground.

Question for you armchair manager types now that the season is over. What do you tell your players about the offseason? Do you want anyone in the batting cages first thing Monday morning, or do you tell them not to even say the word baseball before the beginning of January?

Rest until January. There's a lot of wear and tear even on the guys considered healthy. Just tell them to eat healthy, work out, and be ready in 2-3 months.