Export thread

Honkbal 2013

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bonus points for anyone who recognizes the Thread Title.

So, the burning question we have is: how will the Pittsburgh Pirates manage to miss the playoffs this year? ;)

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Just gonna put this up here to start the thread, just because:

2012 Giants Champions FB Banner.png

jwhouk

jwhouk

Strange that Orange and Black are also the colors of The Netherlands.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Bonus points for anyone who recognizes the Thread Title.

So, the burning question we have is: how will the Pittsburgh Pirates manage to miss the playoffs this year? ;)
Their front office can shove that hoka right up their hey. I'm certain that some sort of "hell week" bullshit those idiots try out will get someone lost for the season.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And what's scary is, they have one less team they have to deal with in the Central!

BErt

Just gonna put this up here to start the thread, just because
Why you gotta bring up old shit?! :p

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm not looking forward to this thread title being here forever.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, if you want me to change it after Netherlands is eliminated, I will... ;)

Covar

Covar

I love the World Baseball Classic. It's always fun to watch international team tournaments. I also like that the WBC takes the fact that most of it's players are professionals taking time off from spring training into account.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Can't wait to watch the Astros roll this year

bhamv3

bhamv3

Man, the World Baseball Classic was crazy here in Taiwan. I thought the government would declare a national day of mourning after the 14-0 loss to Cuba.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I can't wait to watch another 100 loss season for the Astros.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Tress

Tress

FUCK YEAH!

Tress

Tress

Buster Posey and Justin Verlander are now very, very rich men.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Like for Buster. Verlander can go test his "unhittable" pitches on Pablo again.

blotsfan

blotsfan

How long until Posey was gonna be a free agent? Because with the way baseball contracts are, this one seems kinda "low."

Tress

Tress

He was in the last year of his contract.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Lohse.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I keep telling myself it's romantic to cheer for a team as bad as the Astros are going to be. I'm going to savor every win.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

A-rods salary is higher than the entire astros salary

jwhouk

jwhouk

That's been true for a lot of teams for about a decade or so now.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I keep telling myself it's romantic to cheer for a team as bad as the Astros are going to be. I'm going to savor every win.
Trust me, it's not. The Astros are not the Cubs.

jwhouk

jwhouk

So - prediction time!

Division winners, World Series result, where your team will finish, anything else?

1. Blue Jays, Detroit, Angels and Phillies, Cardinals and Giants for division champs.
2. Giants lose to the Blue Jays in seven.
3. Brewers finish third in the NL Central (behind the Cards and Reds; missing the last WC spot by a game)
4. The Yankees will finish dead last in the AL East.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Alright, fine, fuck it, I'll say it.

1) The Astros Will Win 63 Or More Games

jwhouk

jwhouk

...No they won't. :p

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Huh, what do you know! The Astros have a winning record already! :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Huh, what do you know! The Astros have a winning record already! :p
:hide:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh, hey, I get it, APRIL FOOL'S!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

ASTROS ARE LEADING THE DIVISION, AMERICAN LEAGUE AND MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL IN WINS

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

:Leyla:

Tress

Tress

Fuck ESPN. A preview of the Dodgers vs. Giants game today gets five minutes discussing the Dodger's potential to have a great year, and 60 seconds of talking about how much they don't like Lincecum and Sandoval on the Giants. Nice balanced coverage there.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Fuck ESPN. A preview of the Dodgers vs. Giants game today gets five minutes discussing the Dodger's potential to have a great year, and 60 seconds of talking about how much they don't like Lincecum and Sandoval on the Giants. Nice balanced coverage there.
east....coast......bias???

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

ASTROS ARE LEADING THE DIVISION, AMERICAN LEAGUE AND MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL IN WINS
Not to mention they went undefeated for an entire month this season...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Giants win the first series of the year against the Dodgers! Man, I hope that happens a lot more this season! :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

Not to mention they went undefeated for an entire month this season...
...and then they promptly came within one batter of getting no-hit and no-anythinged.

jwhouk

jwhouk

43 strikeouts in three games.
After scoring eight in their first game, they have gone 18 innings without scoring a run.
20 other players in the major leagues have salaries this year higher than their entire payroll.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Giants Championship Ring 2012.png

jwhouk

jwhouk

Some things we've learned so far:

1. The Houston Astros are a bad baseball team, no matter what league they're in.
  2. The New York Yankees, as currently constituted, are not going to win anything anytime soon.
  3. The Washington Nationals are a pretty good ballclub.
  4. The Miami Marlins... not so much.
  5. Justin Upton's move to Atlanta was a good idea.
  6. Bryce Harper has a good swing.

Tress

Tress

7. The Giants still have one of the best rotations in baseball, despite an endless stream of stories about Lincecum's demise, Cain being overhyped, Zito "falling back to Earth", and Vogelsong "playing above his career numbers."

8. The Orioles were not a fluke last year.

9. The Phillies are old and broken down, despite the fantasy world many of their fans live in.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Yeah, the Astros DEFINITELY peaked on Opening Night

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

10. Changing the hitting coach doesn't matter when one still has the plate awareness of a turnip.

Zappit

Zappit

Way to go, Sox! That's how you bounce back from getting two-hit the day before. Will Middlebrooks blasts three home runs, and a fan rushed him in the ninth inning.

In the bottom of the ninth, a fan jumped out of the stands and ran toward Middlebrooks at third base, his hand extended. Security tackled the fan and dragged him off the field.

''He said he was happy to meet me and then he got tackled,'' Middlebrooks said. ''He started to say something else and then he got drilled. That was a good tackle.

''He got pretty close,'' Middlebrooks added. ''I didn't know if he was going to make it. I was trying to time it out of the corner of my eye. I was like `Am I going to have to shake this guy's hand?'''
I got a kick out of that.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Gared

Gared

Yeesh... we gotta send this kid back down to the minors. Worked 2/3 of an inning and gave up 6 runs. To the Astros.

Tress

Tress

Yeesh... we gotta send this kid back down to the minors. Worked 2/3 of an inning and gave up 6 runs...
You're overreacting. That's not so bad. I'm sure he just needs some ti...
...to the Astros.

Gared

Gared

To be fair to the young rookie, he only gave up 6 runs. His three relievers have given up another 9 since they pulled him. But hey, we've got 5 runs... we're only down 15 to 5. We can come back from that, right?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Giants win
Dodgers lose
S.F. has the better record again
Good night

Gared

Gared

Heh. Nope. Instead, our closer gave up another homer in the 9th, and our rally fell just a bit short, and we proved once again that we can lose to anyone if we put our minds to it.

The sad thing is, we did a pretty decent job of hitting tonight. We scored 9 runs, 4 of them in the 9th. We just happened to lose by 7 runs. To the Astros.

Tress

Tress

We just happened to lose by 7 runs. To the Astros.

Gared

Gared

Yeah... these are the Mariners we know and love. There's no longer any doubt.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It's the trident thing.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So Gared... you guys suck

Gared

Gared

So Gared... you guys suck
No shit. You know who loses consistently to the Astros? The new worst team in baseball. Every year it's the same damn thing too, we start out with two and a half good pitchers, we manage to get up to three and a half, and then we trade away one of our pitchers, and it's back to square one. Granted, Pineda being injured and not playing for NY makes the argument a little weak, but it's still there.

jwhouk

jwhouk

But every fifth day you'll have butts in the seats because of King Felix.

Gared

Gared

And yet another hearty congratulations is owed to the Mariners for their stunning ability to lose games. After intentionally walking the bases full in the 8th inning, we managed to walk in two runs. Though, at that point those were just two more insurance runs that Detroit really didn't need.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

My brother and I are about to go celebrate his friend's birthday. Said friend is also a Dodgers fan. So we're bringing him a cake:

Trevor's Giants Cake.png

BErt

And yet another hearty congratulations is owed to the Mariners for their stunning ability to lose games. After intentionally walking the bases full in the 8th inning, we managed to walk in two runs. Though, at that point those were just two more insurance runs that Detroit really didn't need.
...and since those two "gift" runs, we've managed a whole 3 runs in the last 4 games. Clearly, we have contracted some horrible disease of ineptitude from the Mariners :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

Meanwhile, the Cubs are being the Cubs.

There is something about left fielders for the Cubs and Milwaukee that don't seem to mix.

Gared

Gared

...and since those two "gift" runs, we've managed a whole 3 runs in the last 4 games. Clearly, we have contracted some horrible disease of ineptitude from the Mariners :p
And we haven't scored in the last two games. I don't know how they managed it, but the Mariners are actually worse this year than they were last year.

MindDetective

MindDetective

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yeah, I don't think even he knew what he was doing there.

He essentially stole first. And he owes Ryan Braun a few beers.

Gared

Gared

Man, I was really looking forward to the Lastros joining our division, because it meant that the Moroners would finally have a team they could consistently win against. Now I just feel foolish.

jwhouk

jwhouk

(hands you a Brewers cap)

Here. You'll need this when you get to Madison.

Gared

Gared

(hands you a Brewers cap)

Here. You'll need this when you get to Madison.
Is it big enough to hide my shame?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hm, maybe not, after that loss to the Pads last night.

So much for free burgers from George Webb.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Buster Posey with a walk-off homer to beat Kershaw and the Dodgers. Doesn't get much better than that! :D

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

AND we're back on top of the NL West!
Giants Sweep.jpg

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's been difficult to keep to my pledge of not watching or listening to Pirates games this year, but I have.

That said...MUCK FILWAUKEE. :fu:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ah, just what we needed, a series against Pittsburgh. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, yeah, I know YOU disagree with it. But I don't. :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, it's so quiet at PNC that you can hear two guys talking behind home plate about if they want a hot dog.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You know, it's so quiet at PNC that you can hear two guys talking behind home plate about if they want a hot dog.
They're probably upset they couldn't get into Consol tonight. :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh, stay classy, Pittsburgh.

All 50 fans are yelling "STER-OIDS". :rolleyes:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Oh, stay classy, Pittsburgh.

All 50 fans are yelling "STER-OIDS". :rolleyes:
It's that or "FED-EX!" :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Ah, just what we needed, a series against Pittsburgh. :)
You were saying? :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh, shut up. :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

DisAstros...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Doesn't count. You weren't playing a major league team.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Bah. My vacation request gets approved and the only teams at home near where I want to go are Detroit and Cleveland. :p

Gared

Gared

A hearty congratulations to the Mariners' pitching staff tonight, for successfully giving up the first cycle of the 2013 season. Oh, and congrats to Trout, too. Guess that magical time of every season has arrived - when the Mariners slump until it's numerically impossible for them to make the playoffs, and then pick back up a little.

Gared

Gared

Is there a record out there for number of times hitting through the cycle in a specific period of time? Because it's the bottom of the 2nd and Trout already has a single and a triple... and Maurer's on the mound, so there's a chance he could have a second cycle in two days before the 3rd inning's over.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The record is twice in one season, shared by four men:
  • Babe Herman (May 18/July 24, 1931, 67 days)
  • Aaron Hill (June 18/29, 2012, 11 days)
  • Tip O'Neill (April 30/May 7, 1887, 8 days)
  • John Reilly (September 12/19, 1883, 7 days)
No one has ever done it in back-to-back days in ML history.

Gared

Gared

Sadly, I appear to have jinxed Trout.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Cycles are pretty rare things. It's amazing if someone has more than three in a career.

Gared

Gared

Ok, seriously - how many games are we going to have to not only lose, but lose badly, before management realizes that this "bright new pitching star" who never even pitched in AAA ball, just absolutely sucks? He's 2-7, his ERA is 6.93, he's had three games where he pitched fewer than 5 innings (including one where he only went 2/3 of an inning and still managed to give up 6 earned runs after facing 10 batters), and the only time he has reliable "control" of his fastball is when he's throwing it middle-middle.

Of course, you kinda saw this coming back in April when we sent the other guy who was struggling (Beavin) down to the minors because he had a 6+ ERA, and Maurer had an 11+ ERA.

Tress

Tress

...the fuck is your problem, Giants? The whole pitching staff needs to pull their collective heads out of their asses.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sigh...

As fun as the season has been so far, I can't help shake the feeling that sudden but inevitable betrayal is just around the corner. :hide:

But it sure feels good to kick the crap out of the Brewers at every opportunity. 1999 will not be forgotten.

Gared

Gared

Oh hey, M's manager Eric Wedge is finally feeling the pressure to have a team that can hit the damn ball. It's about time. Of course, it didn't help that we had to wait until we got the Cubs' starting pitcher out of the game before we really started hitting the ball tonight. And it also probably doesn't really help that of tonight's starting lineup, 2 of the players were on our season opener lineup. I know every team has some adjustment to be made throughout the season, but this is ridiculous. That, and I really do think it's time for Franklin Gutierrez to retire. He's played in 18 games so far this season, with hamstring problems sending him to the DL multiple times already.

Hell, the team could probably really use a new conditioning coach. I swear half the team is hurt on any given day.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Next time I get a chance to get to Milwaukee, I'll see if they have run up the white flag above Miller Park.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

jwhouk

jwhouk

Talk to me when you're actually playing meaningful baseball in October, kid.

Tress

Tress

Talk to me when you're actually playing meaningful baseball in October, kid.
Yes, talk to him in October. The Brewers sure as hell won't be playing so he'll need a distraction.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, like I said - white flag over Miller Park.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And yes, DA, to answer your question in the Shoutbox, they will break your heart.

They always break your heart.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And yes, DA, to answer your question in the Shoutbox, they will break your heart.

They always break your heart.
Except that one time. That one glorious time...

I was in fifth grade.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Even then, they break your heart. My Packers have done it, despite winning the Super Bowl thrice in my lifetime (twice that I could actually remember it).

Tress

Tress

Holy shit the Giants are embarrassingly bad.

Why do you all suddenly suck so bad? Whhhhyyyyyyyyyy? :cry:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I know your pain, dude. :(

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ditto.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Batting second, the designated hittah, numbah two, Derek Jeetah. Numbah two.

jwhouk

jwhouk

"Numbah Qwad", you mean.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Someone get Cheesy and Tress and company down from the ceiling, please?

Freaky no-hitter. :)

Gared

Gared

It's a damn good thing we've got the all-star break coming up. 148 pitches? Kid's not gonna have an arm for a week.

jwhouk

jwhouk

How many did Felix need in his no-no?

EDIT: Looked it up. 113 pitches.

BErt

Yoenis Cespedes HATES BASEBALLS!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Welp.

(goes outside Miller Park, runs the white flag up the pole)

Tress

Tress

Sorry, but I really feel like that was a long time coming. He shouldn't have been able to wiggle out of that first suspension.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Sorry, but when it comes PED's in professional sports, it needs to be a "One & Done" policy. That's the only way to send a serious message that it won't be tolerated. Unfortunately, the leagues make way too much money off of these super-humans to actually do anything like that.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Sorry, but I guess I kinda liked the idea that I had a good baseball team to watch between the Super Bowl and Training Camp every year.

Tress

Tress

Swept at home by the fucking Cubs, hitting .147 with runners in scoring position over the last 32 games, 10 games out of the lead in one of the weakest divisions in baseball...

Here lies the SF Giants 2013 Season. Started with such promise, ended with such shame.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

no one's ever out of the NL West

Tress

Tress

no one's ever out of the NL West
You clearly haven't watched the Giants play a game since June. I have been a Giants fan all my life, and I have NEVER seen them play as poorly as they are playing right now. Not even those terrible teams in the mid-to-late 2000's. And what makes it so frustrating is that they won the World Series just last year with almost the same team. They have the potential to be good, but they're playing like absolute shit.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Stomp. Stomp stomp stomp. Stomp. Stomp. Stomp stomp. Stomp.

And counting. :D

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Whoa. Just whoa. Did tonight really just happen?

(goes to check)

Yup. It happened. :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don't worry. October will come, and the Pirates will find a way not to be in the post-season.

Zappit

Zappit

Wow. Now THAT was a comeback by the Sox. Six runs in the bottom of the ninth. The best part had to be Harold Reynolds just losing his damn mind and pouting HARD.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Twitter bandwagoners already calling tonight the start of the "collapse". Like they've done after ever loss since the beginning of June.

Gared

Gared

Wow. Now THAT was a comeback by the Sox. Six runs in the bottom of the ninth. The best part had to be Harold Reynolds just losing his damn mind and pouting HARD.
Damnit, I thought we'd gotten past that when we got rid of Brandon "the Blown Save" League.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

IT'S OVER! IT'S OVER!! IT'S OVER!!!

Tress

Tress

So close...

Fuck you, Eric Chavez.

jwhouk

jwhouk

One foot more. Had Pence been playing one foot closer to the plate, we'd be talking about perfection here.

C'est la vie.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

One foot more. Had Pence been playing one foot closer to the plate, we'd be talking about perfection here.

C'est la vie.
Jerry Meals called him out. :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

I would find it incredibly funny if the Pirates got to the Wild Card game against Cincinnati, and the Reds would win it when their left fielder throws out McCutcheon at the plate (trying to score the tying run) for the final out of the game.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Don't worry. October will come, and the Pirates will find a way not to be in the post-season.
You were saying?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hell has frozen over.

Covar

Covar

I'm pretty sure this is the seventh sign.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Astros drew a 0.0 Nielsen Rating in Houston on Sunday.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Only three more days until the Pirates finally wake up and realize, "Whoa, hey, we're in the playoffs?" and lose to the Reds in the Wild Card Play-in Game. ;)

jwhouk

jwhouk

So. If Tampa and Texas win, and Cleveland loses, we have... a three way tie for the wild card.

If I have this correct, we would get two playoff games to get to the Wild Card game.

In the event of a three-way tie for the two wild card spots, Tampa Bay would travel to Cleveland on Monday for the first tiebreaker game. The winner would get a wild card berth. The loser would travel to Texas for the second tiebreaker game. The winner of that game would get the other wild card spot. Once the two wild card teams are determined, revert to two-team tiebreaking scenarios to determine home field for the wild card. Tampa Bay would host Cleveland. The Rays would travel to Texas.
Oy vey.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

jwhouk

jwhouk

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you end a baseball season.

Henderson Alvarez, in front of 28,315 (most disguised as empty seats that will brag years from now that they were there), pitches nine innings of no-hit baseball... but walks off the mound because the Marlins had failed to score.

And then, with two outs and the bases loaded, Luke Putkonen throws a wild pitch, allowing Giancarlo Stanton to score from third - and get mugged by the winning pitcher who was standing on the on-deck circle.

Gared

Gared

Thank goodness... the season is over. No more Mariners games to muddle through, no more hearing the local morning news start off stories about injured players with "Of course, the Mariners lost last night, but..."; no more having to hope against hope that they'd win at least as many games as last year (they missed that one by 4 games). Now we can concentrate on hoping the Seahawks start showing up for games before the 4th quarter.

jwhouk

jwhouk

With Russell Wilson, I don't think you'll have to worry about that issue.

And the season ain't over, kids: game 163, Tampa Bay at Texas, to determine the second wild card.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

CUEEEEEEE-TO!!! CUEEEEEEE-TO!!!

Luis Tiant, you are not.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Someone wanna scrape DA off the ceiling before he damages the air intake fan?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I think I have my fave team for the playoffs now. Strange, they're wearing blue and white.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I think I have my fave team for the playoffs now. Strange, they're wearing blue and white.
BOOOOO!!!! :mad:

Sorry, reflex.

Tress

Tress

jwhouk

jwhouk

Would it make you happy that I'd wear a Brooklyn cap instead? :D

Sorry, I guess I still have this thing about teams that book for points south from my native state.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Would it make you happy that I'd wear a Brooklyn cap instead? :D

Sorry, I guess I still have this thing about teams that book for points south from my native state.
Wasn't your current team yoinked from Seattle by a used car dealer? :ninja:

But yeah. Fuck the Braves. Fuck them now and forever.

jwhouk

jwhouk

They didn't want them any more. :p

The whole thing with the Pilots was one big fustercluck from day one. If MLB knew then what they know now, they'd have ditched Montreal and Seattle for Texas and Milwaukee.

Gared

Gared

They didn't want them any more. :p

The whole thing with the Pilots was one big fustercluck from day one. If MLB knew then what they know now, they'd have ditched Montreal and Seattle for Texas and Milwaukee.
Amen to that. This has to be one of the worst possible cities for MLB - the fans are all fair-weather fans, the ownership and front office management couldn't care less if the team had the players they need to be competitive, and we've gone through so many managers over the past 10 or so years (ever since Lou left) that it's getting difficult to find anyone stupid enough to take the job. Not to mention the fact that the team managed to successfully lobby to get Griffey Jr. to come back for his final season, to retire as a Mariner; and then pissed him off so much that he just left mid season, without even telling the team he was leaving until he was half way back to Florida.

The only possible good to come out of this most recent season is the fact that Wedge quit (he was a nice guy but a lousy manager) and that the owner died (god rest his soul).

jwhouk

jwhouk

Y'know, DA, we actually managed to WIN a Division series before losing to the Cardinals...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Y'know, DA, we actually managed to WIN a Division series before losing to the Cardinals...
And in spite of the last 20 years, we managed to win more than one World Series since 1957. :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

You also had about an 87-year head start on us :p

Zappit

Zappit

Wow. Sox were looking like they were going to get dominated by Detroit pitching again tonight. Papi blasts a grand slam to tie it, and Salty brings in Gomes in the bottom of the ninth! YES! This series has only just begun!

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, 11 years ago Torii snags that ball...

Zappit

Zappit

Another Grand Slam! Tigers pen blows it again! Red Sox going to the series!

You ask me if this happens during Spring Training, I would have laughed. Hard. Never thought it would turn out like this. Hell, the offseason plan basically read, "Let's overpay average free agents so we can get another twenty wins this year."

And then it worked. IT FREAKIN' WORKED!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Anyone. But. The. CARDINALS.

GO SAWX.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sox fans used up all their goodwill by turning into insufferable pricks after 2004. Now they're just the Yankees with a different accent.

Not that rooting for the Cards is any better. :puke:

Covar

Covar

You're just learning what Yankee fans knew all along. Sox fans have always been insufferable pricks.

Zappit

Zappit

So Dodgers fans and Giants fans put each other in the hospital, Pittsburgh fans attack a player's wife, Rays fans only show up to the stadium during the playoffs, and Phillies fans - the less said the better. A Yankees fan stabs a Sox fan in a bar, without any provocation. But Sox fans are so terrible? Come on. Let's have a little perspective.

Covar

Covar

Tress

Tress

So Dodgers fans and Giants fans put each other in the hospital, Pittsburgh fans attack a player's wife, Rays fans only show up to the stadium during the playoffs, and Phillies fans - the less said the better. A Yankees fan stabs a Sox fan in a bar, without any provocation. But Sox fans are so terrible? Come on. Let's have a little perspective.
You're comparing extreme isolated incidents to the general smugness and obnoxious behavior of a large majority of Boston fans. At least Boston fans outside of Boston. I have yet to meet a BoSox fan out here who isn't:

A) clueless about baseball, and just jumped on the bandwagon,
or
B) a rude entitled asshole who throws a fit whenever Boston doesn't win everything or someone doesn't acknowledge Boston's obvious superiority.

Zappit

Zappit

Maybe I've got rose-tinted glasses on this one. I come from a family that's been fans forever, who waited decades upon decades for that WS win. But by no means is it some vast majority of Sox fans that are jerks. That's like condemning all Texan fans for the group that was cheering Schaub's injury, or stalking him to harass him before the game. Every fandom has its assholes and jerks, and plenty of good folks. There's plenty of great, true Sox fans, those who remember the Time of the Long Suffering, and you can't knock them because of the cretins who spoil it.

Tress

Tress

Maybe I've got rose-tinted glasses on this one. I come from a family that's been fans forever, who waited decades upon decades for that WS win. But by no means is it some vast majority of Sox fans that are jerks. That's like condemning all Texan fans for the group that was cheering Schaub's injury, or stalking him to harass him before the game. Every fandom has its assholes and jerks, and plenty of good folks. There's plenty of great, true Sox fans, those who remember the Time of the Long Suffering, and you can't knock them because of the cretins who spoil it.
The fans you're talking about may as well be unicorns. Find me one like that to talk to around here, and my opinion of the fanbase will improve.

Zappit

Zappit

Let's see, you're in California...Find a good Dodgers fans. Isn't half the Dodgers former Sox? Beckett, Crawford, Gonzalez, Hanley...A great Dodger fan is like one quarter Sox fan by technicality. Do the math on that, and there's better numbers than you think. Granted, math wasn't my strongest subject...

Tress

Tress

Let's see, you're in California...Find a good Dodgers fans. Isn't half the Dodgers former Sox? Beckett, Crawford, Gonzalez, Hanley...A great Dodger fan is like one quarter Sox fan by technicality. Do the math on that, and there's better numbers than you think. Granted, math wasn't my strongest subject...
Okay, listen. I can gripe about Red Sox fans, but I'm not really serious about it. I know there are good fans and bad fans, and I was just using hyperbole to highlight an ongoing problem I perceive with bandwagon-jumping and smugness that I run into with self-professed Boston fans outside of the Boston area. I know not all Boston fans are bad. That's just silly.

But let's be clear: there is no such thing as a "good Dodgers fan." To suggest such a thing is blasphemy.

Covar

Covar

My favorite part about Boston Fans is how they insist that the Yankees spend way to much money, but the right amount is the equally absurdly high number 2 place the Sox occupy.

Zappit

Zappit

Wow. Cards must be a bit nervous tonight. The infield is playing downright sloppy. Not Beltran, though. Damn, you'll never see another player snag a Grand Slam ball that casually again.

Zappit

Zappit

One more win! Just one more win!

jwhouk

jwhouk

There has been very little in the way of positive stuff that has come out of Milwaukee this year, baseball-wise. But the news that Carlos Gomez just won the franchise's first Gold Glove Award in over 30 years is a bright spot.

Zappit

Zappit

YES!!! Boston won't sleep tonight!

Oh, and even better, Tim McCarver will never ruin a broadcast again.

Tress

Tress

Brofist for celebrating the end of the McCarver era. Anyone else would be an improvement.

Covar

Covar

ugh, now I get to listen to all the bandwagon Red Sox fans who didn't realize baseball was a thing until Oct 2004 go on about how important this was for Boston.

Tress

Tress

It's amazing how many people out here in California are suddenly "lifelong" Red Sox fans, but can't name a player from any previous roster.

Covar

Covar

It's amazing how many people out here in California are suddenly "lifelong" Red Sox fans, but can't name a player from any previous roster.
Well you know California has no Baseball teams :rolleyes:

Zappit

Zappit

Dodger fans can't name a former Sox player? That's kind of funny, given LA's penchant for signing former Sox. There have been times where a third of the roster were ex-Sox.

drifter

drifter

Bandwagon fans, not baseball fans.

Gared

Gared

So, on a completely and utterly unrelated note... I hear the Cubs are interviewing Wedge to replace Baker. I can't decide if they're completely pants-on-head retarded; or if I want to see them hire him and win the World Series next year just to drive yet another nail into the "Jack Z needs to go" Mariners coffin.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's the Cubs. Pants-on-head retarded would be an improvement.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Part of me thinks that the reason for the failure of the Cubs is the amount of alcohol ingested in the area surrounded by Clark, Addison, Waveland and Sheffield.

And there's also the theory that the place is built on an ancient native American burial ground.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Question for you armchair manager types now that the season is over. What do you tell your players about the offseason? Do you want anyone in the batting cages first thing Monday morning, or do you tell them not to even say the word baseball before the beginning of January?

Tress

Tress

Rest until January. There's a lot of wear and tear even on the guys considered healthy. Just tell them to eat healthy, work out, and be ready in 2-3 months.

Piotyr

Piotyr

So, on a completely and utterly unrelated note... I hear the Cubs are interviewing Wedge to replace Baker. I can't decide if they're completely pants-on-head retarded; or if I want to see them hire him and win the World Series next year just to drive yet another nail into the "Jack Z needs to go" Mariners coffin.
Baker?

There are stupid rumors all over the place regarding who the Cubs are interviewing/hiring. The only one with any merit is that the Cubs were waiting until the Series is over because they wanted to interview someone in either the Boston or St. Louis org, likely Sox coach John Lovullo

Gared

Gared

Baker, Sveum, who knows. Whomever they fired, Wedge isn't likely to fix their problems.

Crap... who did Dusty Baker manage?

Tress

Tress

Baker, Sveum, who knows. Whomever they fired, Wedge isn't likely to fix their problems.

Crap... who did Dusty Baker manage?
The Cincinnati Reds.

Gared

Gared

Well, at least they're both Midwestern states...

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

It's amazing how many people out here in Oklahoma are suddenly "lifelong" Red Sox fans, but can't name a player from any previous roster.
This happens here every time there is a championship game. All of a sudden there were Cards and Sox hats and shirts every where. Same in '04. It makes a little sense for there to be St Louis fans around here. I would expect Rangers and Astros fans here. There will be when they make it to the WS. Then again, when I was a kid, I was an A's fan (especially after 89).

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Oh man, I remember all the Giants and A's posters I had up in my room during and after the 89 season. If only kid Cheesy knew that most of those players would later come out as being roided up all to hell.

Tress

Tress

I'm right there with ya. Looking back, I wonder how we didn't see it sooner.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Because no kid thinks their sports heroes are dirty, especially back then before all the steroids scandals really marred everything.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I dunno, it was pretty obvious in Canseco's case.

McGwire, not so much.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Oh , joy. The A's getting stuck with another stadium sharing plan?

If it were my team, and I had deep enough pockets and big enough balls, I'd have a new destination lined up, a fleet of Mayflowers on standby, and a battalion of PR flacks to put the blame squarely on Alemeda County. And the Raiders.

Fuck Mount Davis.

Tress

Tress

...and stay the fuck out of AT&T park. That's our house, not yours. Go back to your own side of the bay.

jwhouk

jwhouk

But where do you send the A's? I don't think Lew Wolff wants to be the first guy to put an MLB team in Vegas, baby.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Nice to hear that one of my favorite Astros is now the manager of the Tigers. I hope this will be a good fit for both the team and Brad Ausmus.

It must be nice to walk into a playoff caliber team for your first Big League manager's position.

Tress

Tress

But where do you send the A's? I don't think Lew Wolff wants to be the first guy to put an MLB team in Vegas, baby.
Clorox offered to buy some waterfront property in Oakland where they can build a new stadium, in exchange for advertising and naming rights of the structure. Wolff won't take the deal because he would still have to help pay for the construction of the new stadium. The asshole is looking for Oakland to pay 100% of the construction, or he wants to head somewhere else. If he would just pay for his own facilities this would have been settled long ago.

So, in other words, I don't care where he goes. This whole issue is his fault in the first place. The best thing that could happen to the A's would be if he sold the team.

But don't try to horn in on the Giant's success. The A's are better than that. They have their own fanbase, and the team shouldn't ditch those people by moving to SF (even temporarily).

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

@jwhouk sticking his head in the hot stove in 3... 2... 1...

(not that the Pirates have done much of anything...)

BErt

The Tigers cut $30MIL, 53lbs and a top 20 pitcher from their roster.

I am less than optimistic for next year.

Tress

Tress

The Giants are continuing their bad habit of signing old and/or injury-prone players to fill vital gaps in their roster. It worked in 2010 and 2012, let's forget all those times it didn't work! We'll catch lightning in a bottle a third time, honest!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Meh. I knew they were probably gonna give Aoki a ticket out of town for Braunie. That they got a pitcher in return is good.

That and $3.75 will get me a tall Latte Americano at Starbucks, though.

EDIT: Oh. I didn't see that about Sunglasses. Hm. Welp. He can be the M's medical staff's issue now.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The Rangers just paid $12,000 for the rights to Russell Wilson.

Yes, that Russell Wilson.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He's got the attitude and the arm to make the majors. I don't think he'll take them up on it, though.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I now officially feel old.

Former Brewer Mike Hegan passes away

jwhouk

jwhouk

And, for the punctuation mark to the 2013 season, we have this:

A-Rod suspended for 162 games.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Suspend a-rod for zero games, watch him break the all time record, elect him to the hall of fame.