[Announcement] HF Secret Santa 2016 - Make Santa Great Again Edition

Are you going to sign up for HF Secret Santa?

• Yes! (post below)

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No. I want to, but I can't afford it right now.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No. I want to, but I don't have the time.

• No. I want to, but it seems like too much work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I don't want to.

• On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me a grue in a pear tree.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know it may seem a bit early, but I thought I would get ahead of it this year. If you want to ignore this for a few weeks, be my guest.

What is it?
It's a Secret Santa between your fellow halforumites. Everyone who signs up will be randomly assigned another participant. You are then tasked to buy that person a gift. As a recipient, you should leave a few hints in a post to this thread as to what sort of interests you have.

Rules and Info
  • To sign up, send me a PM with your email address, shipping address, and any gift rules/restrictions. Be sure to specify whether or not you would accept NSFW or "adult" gifts (such as alcohol/sex themed gifts). Also, please specify if you are unwilling/unable to ship internationally.
  • International people are allowed. If you would prefer not to get an international person, indicate so when you sign up. It may be the case that if you restrict your choice to local shipping then matching might not work out and you may be left out - I'll let you know once the matching is complete if that's the case. So far we've always been able to match everyone that wanted to participate and meet their shipping requirements.
    -International Shipping Links: USPS, Customs Forms
    -Tips for shipping in and out of Canada
    -Remember to allow extra shipping time when shipping outside of your home country
  • Who can sign up?
    To keep things fair, only those with a join date earlier than April 15, 2016 and more than a handful of posts will be allowed to participate (for obvious reasons). If you would like to participate and don't fall under the requirements then you will just have to wait until next year. The final say of who can join this activity will be entirely up to Dave so there may be exceptions, but the final word is final. Don't complain if special dispensation is not made for you. This goes for those who may be disincluded as well.
  • The deadline for signing up will be November 28th. After that day, Santas will be randomly assigned by computer. You will be sent an email or PM shortly after with the information of whom you will be drawing a gift for.
  • Recommended gift value is $5 to $25. Feel free to spend as much as you want, just be aware that the more you spend, the less likely you will receive a gift of equal value. Also, homemade/handmade gifts are allowed, and even encouraged (no homemade food please).
  • ABSOLUTE FINAL DEADLINE FOR GIFTS SENT IS DECEMBER 15th! PEOPLE WHO DO NOT SEND GIFTS BY DECEMBER 15th WILL BE TIED DOWN AND LEFT TO DRY OUT IN THE DROUGHT-RAVAGED CALIFORNIA COUNTRYSIDE. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are not CERTAIN you will be able to send a gift, then don't sign up.
  • Do not complain about your gift, conversely, try to send something you think the other person will like.
  • You MUST post pictures of your gift when you receive it. No exceptions.
  • UNLESS SPECIFIED AS SOMETHING THEY WOULD LIKE, PLEASE DO NOT SEND NSFW OR ALCOHOLIC GIFTS. Please note that many states/nations have rules about shipping alcohol, so when in doubt, choose another gift.
  • CAN I SHIP SOMETHING STRAIGHT FROM AMAZON OR SOMETHING?
    Yes you can, and it's a good idea to shop at your person's home country's Amazon site (www.amazon.ca for instance) if you want to save a bit on shipping.
  • SHIP WELL IN ADVANCE
    Get your act together NOW and ship your stuff by Dec 15th to make sure it arrives before the crazy Christmas rush that always happens at the latter half of December.
As people sign up, I will post a list showing their names. When we move on to the next step, I'll be sure to update that too.

Santa List:
  1. Tinwhistler
  2. Steinman
  3. Denbrought
  4. Chad Sexington
  5. Cog
  6. Hylian
  7. Dave
  8. jwhouk
  9. Squidleybits
  10. PatrThom
  11. Emrys
  12. GasBandit
  13. blotsfan
  14. Celt Z
  15. MadeYaBlush
  16. Dei
  17. Bubble181
  18. Evilmike
  19. Sparhawk
  20. BErt
  21. JCM

Last edited:
You're going to give people your name and address? :O
You mean he hasn't given it to you yet? Not even his phone number?

OH another warning. Don't forget to include your phone number when you PM @Tress. Some shipping places need it in case they run into delivery problems. Especially an issue if you draw someone's name who lives in another country.

--Patrick

Still on the fence. I want to, but budget's limited this year. Can I get someone who's not across the ocean? :p
You should be able to order at the amazon in the person's country that you get. That should eliminate shipping/customs/vat/etc costs. It's what I've always done when I got canuckistanians.[DOUBLEPOST=1478114578,1478114464][/DOUBLEPOST]
You're going to give people your name and address? :O
He just never wanted me to have it, but now that tress is doing it... ;)

(Although technically at one point I had access to it anyway - if I remember correctly his real name starts with one of the first 26 letters of the alphabet.)

You should be able to order at the amazon in the person's country that you get. That should eliminate shipping/customs/vat/etc costs. It's what I've always done when I got canuckistanians.[DOUBLEPOST=1478114578,1478114464][/DOUBLEPOST]

He just never wanted me to have it, but now that tress is doing it... ;)

(Although technically at one point I had access to it anyway - if I remember correctly his real name starts with one of the first 26 letters of the alphabet.)

A) Yes, I know, I've participated quite a few times. Have sent to Canada, US and China in the past :p I was joking about the latter part.

B) Which alphabet, exactly? He's got German ancestry, his name could conceivably start with an ß.

That would be telling...

Useless Fact of the Day: there are no words or names starting with an ß in any language, and as such, it's the only Romanized letter that doesn't have a capital version.[DOUBLEPOST=1478115553,1478115518][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not quite German. Dutch-Scottish (and if you push back further, Norman). I'm a ginuwine American mutt.
I know, but the Dutchies don't have any extra letters so the crappy joke wouldn't work.

Ah well. I'll join again. My gift better include a winning powerball ticket!

(don't send me powerball tickets - they're impossible to get paid out when you're not in the USA)

If someone has a Delorean and can fix the Biff Tannen timeline we're stuck in, I'm okay with not getting cash. (Sorry, Cubs.)