[Announcement] HF Secret Santa 2016 - Make Santa Great Again Edition

Are you going to sign up for HF Secret Santa?

• Yes! (post below)

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No. I want to, but I can't afford it right now.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No. I want to, but I don't have the time.

• No. I want to, but it seems like too much work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I don't want to.

• On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me a grue in a pear tree.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Happy Day! Secret Santa's delivery arrived!!

Pud can't resist a box!!

image.jpeg

What's in here??

image.jpeg

Lulu can't wait for the box to be free for her!

image.jpeg

I love it!! Thank you Santa!! I can't wait to try out my new markers and now I have a cat for my desk. That won't steal stuff :)

image.jpeg

Santa totally outdid themselves with the rest of my gift! I had to get out my macro lens and my kids helped me make a light box. I will edit the pictures and share them here soon!

Thank you Santa!!

I'm glad you like them! I'm no artist, but I've heard that sometimes it's nice to have a set of markers that aren't your 'nice' set so you don't feel bad abusing them in situations where you don't want to risk your good tools. Hopefully these provide some fun, and if nothing else they could be something for your kids.

Regarding this:

I left the supports on mewtwo because the arms were so tiny and I was worried they'd break in shipping. They can generally be removed by hand, but with the small arms you might need to use little jewelry wire cutters or an exact knife to separate the supports from mewtwo. If you do happen to break something the plastic welds back together with acetone (nail polish remover).

Due to the issues with printing mewtwo you ended up with a pikacthulu. I left them on for fun, but again a little work with the exacto knife should remedy that if the threads are causing madness.

I thought he was standing on a throne! I think I'll leave them there :)

Thank you so much! They are super awesome and I can't imagine how much work you put into them. You're the best!!

I left the supports on mewtwo because the arms were so tiny and I was worried they'd break in shipping. They can generally be removed by hand, but with the small arms you might need to use little jewelry wire cutters or an exact knife to separate the supports from mewtwo. If you do happen to break something the plastic welds back together with acetone (nail polish remover).

Due to the issues with printing mewtwo you ended up with a pikacthulu. I left them on for fun, but again a little work with the exacto knife should remedy that if the threads are causing madness.
Dude, you made that whole set?! That's fantastic.

Damn, I'm glad I never participate; I'd be entirely outclassed.

Dude, you made that whole set?! That's fantastic.

Damn, I'm glad I never participate; I'd be entirely outclassed.
Well, lest anyone think more of me than I deserve, the models are already available free online, so all I did was download them (you wouldn't download a car... ) and print them. I did have to do a little more advanced print settings for mewtwo, but everything else was literally double clicking on each file and hitting print.

The newer printers are very very user friendly.[DOUBLEPOST=1482711907,1482711842][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's the model I used:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1482617

Well, lest anyone think more of me than I deserve, the models are already available free online, so all I did was download them (you wouldn't download a car... ) and print them. I did have to do a little more advanced print settings for mewtwo, but everything else was literally double clicking on each file and hitting print.

The newer printers are very very user friendly.[DOUBLEPOST=1482711907,1482711842][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's the model I used:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1482617
Stealing to make a Pokemon set to play against my son's Minecraft set that we're spending all day printing. ;)

HEY!

I finally went to the post office. Here is a veritable PILE of gifts from the wonderful @MadeYaBlush

Thank you so very kindly!

Gaze in wonder at my gifts literary and comfortable!

unnamed.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1483576050,1483575988][/DOUBLEPOST]Hm user tag did not work...

It is not too late, I have the photos, but as per usual I have not had time to assemble them. Every day I visit the forum is another day I feel a little guilty for not getting it together yet. Check back Sunday!

--Patrick

@GasBandit Wanted to let you know I finally read this book and really enjoyed it! Thanks again!

Gasbandit uses geeky novel!

View attachment 22685

It looks interesting!

stienman is dazed!
[DOUBLEPOST=1486397121,1486396983][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, I was able to reuse the gift bags and tags for a white elephant gift party before Christmas as well. It was fun watching people's expressions as they read, "From the GASBANDIT? What's that?" for the two gifts I brought.

GasBandit

Staff member
@GasBandit Wanted to let you know I finally read this book and really enjoyed it! Thanks again!

[DOUBLEPOST=1486397121,1486396983][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, I was able to reuse the gift bags and tags for a white elephant gift party before Christmas as well. It was fun watching people's expressions as they read, "From the GASBANDIT? What's that?" for the two gifts I brought.
Hah! Maybe I should try to start a national trend of white elephant/secret santa gifts being FROM THE GAS BANDIT.

It is not too late, I have the photos, but as per usual I have not had time to assemble them. Every day I visit the forum is another day I feel a little guilty for not getting it together yet. Check back Sunday!
Oh, hey! Look at the time!

Ahem.

Anyway...
...look at this! Here are a couple of packages that appeared on my doorstep a while ago.
00boxnbag.jpg

I was not expecting these, so they are probably from my secret Santa!
Wait, what does that say on the bag?
01bag.jpg

Well, that covers it...for the majority of cases, anyway. But what's inside of it?
...laundry? Someone wants me to do their laundry? Wait, there's a note:
02ecushirt.jpg

Ok, so there's a design, and I should avoid baking it unnecessarily. But what does it say?
Let me just take a step or two back, and...
03shirt.jpg

AHAHAAHAHAHAAAA Oh, secret Santa, you have no idea how hilarious this is. See, on the forum, I may have a reputation for "doing the thing," but at work, I have a reputation for "Patrick-ing" people. That's how you know you've really made it in the world, when your name becomes a verb. I've never watched Spongebob ('tis true!), but of course I know the meme...and so does everyone at work.
(Note: I wore this to work during a mandatory everyone-has-to-be-there meeting, and was told I could wear it any time I wanted, which is technically against company policy, but that just goes to show you how much of a hit it was with my coworkers).
So ok, there's a shirt. But what about this box?
04box.jpg

Welp, no avoiding it. Time to crack it open. A quick trip to the knife block later, and...
05boxopen.jpg

"Christmas Central," huh? That's a new one. I mean, I've of course heard of Bronners (because you can't escape their ads around here), but CC's a new one. But of course the invoice isn't the reason I opened the box. Let's see what's inside of these pupae, shall we?
06bottles.jpg

...it's pop! Wait, no, it's not pop. Maybe it's soda? No, there aren't any bubbles. Crystal Beach loganberry? What's that?
A quick trip to Google and...it's apparently a mixer of some sort. In appearance, it reminds me a lot of Ribena. Its smell is a dead ringer for Cheerwine. Its flavor, however, is more what I imagine a Merlot would taste like if you removed all the alcohol and tannins.

So there we have it. One outrageously apropos shirt and two bottles of curiously berry refreshment.
07moneyshot.jpg

(why yes, that IS a Super Mario 64 cartridge sitting next to a Nintendo64 behind the shirt. I think the cart actually in the machine is a v1.0/v1.1 version of Ocarina of Time)
The shirt has already won me fame, if not fortune. Thank you, secret Santa, for knowing me so well without knowing me.
Now we shall have to find these bottles some friends. It's not like we have any shortage of suitors...
08friends.jpg

(this is about half the collection. I didn't want to take up the whole table, and couldn't get it all in frame anyway)

Note: To date, I have not tried mixing it with anything, though our son seems to enjoy it when mixed with Sprite/Slice/7up/etc. Of course, he'd drink a glass of straight up sugar if you poured water over it, soooo...

--Patrick

I'm glad you like it! Though if you haven't killed it yet, while loganberry is delicious, I've never found it to be a particularly good mixer. I hope you find something that works for you though.

And that Spongebob reference is the very first thing I think of when I see your name, so I'm glad the people around you appreciate that too.

I'm glad you like it! Though if you haven't killed it yet, while loganberry is delicious, I've never found it to be a particularly good mixer. I hope you find something that works for you though.

And that Spongebob reference is the very first thing I think of when I see your name, so I'm glad the people around you appreciate that too.
I have never really liked Loganberry. I'll drink it, but I'm not thrilled with it. My husband on the other hand drinks nothing but Loganberry whenever we visit my parents.