[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

Hee-hee, playing Druid against freeze Mage last night.
Had the 8/8 Protector out and she hit and frost bolted it so that it was 8/1 and unable to attack (presumably so she could kill it with hero power once her mana recharged next turn).
NOPE
Played a Spellbreaker and silenced it (removing the taunt but also removing the frozen) and hit her for 8, this brought her down enough to do lethal the next turn.

--Patrick

Like all classes that you know commonly run specific removal/debuffs, you want to bait them out before you play your good stuff.

Like, you'd never play a Tirion against a mage that hasn't yet played polymorph, unless you've managed to deduce that they don't run it by playing other prime poly targets.

figmentPez

Staff member
Like all classes that you know commonly run specific removal/debuffs, you want to bait them out before you play your good stuff.

Like, you'd never play a Tirion against a mage that hasn't yet played polymorph, unless you've managed to deduce that they don't run it by playing other prime poly targets.
True, if you've got the luxury of options in any specific game. Sometimes you have to take risks because you're already behind, and a Venture Co is a much bigger risk than other cards of similar cost.

With all your talk of strategy I feel like the only reason I ever win is because I have no idea what the meta is and just surprise people more than anything.

With all your talk of strategy I feel like the only reason I ever win is because I have no idea what the meta is and just surprise people more than anything.

If you actually watch some of the high level players on youtube, it always throws a wrench in their plans when someone plays outside the meta.

figmentPez

Staff member
If you actually watch some of the high level players on youtube, it always throws a wrench in their plans when someone plays outside the meta.
It always makes me puzzled, a little upset, when really good players have videos of them climbing through the lower ranks, and they start talking about what deck they're facing based on the first few cards played. And then they start trying to analyze what the theme of the deck might be if it moves outside of their expectations. I just sit watching thinking "No, no. You're at rank 15. You have no idea what deck you're up against, and you don't even know if the person you're playing has any idea what strategy is. This isn't necessarily some net-decking wannabe, for all you know this is someone who threw in whatever cards they liked the artwork for best."

My Lightwell deck for my priest is 100% custom. I built it completely from scratch with no guides. I reworked it based on what was working and what wasn't.

So using what I have with the idea to build up my weapons damage using minions or spells to boost it and then either apply that to minions who gain it's attack power when summoned or destroying it when it gets to low durability and applying the damage across everyone using blade flurry I made this.

Two problems I've ran into so far. It relies heavily on very specific cards with no way of making sure I get them and while it beefs up the attack of bloodsail raider, it does nothing to their health and they are often wiped out before I can use them. Any pointers anyone can provide? Is this even worth refining? When it does well it does very well, when it falters it doesn't even get a chance to start.

rouge1.png

Last edited:
Ok first I don't think the goldshire footman is doing enough here. It get destroyed too easily without putting on any pressure or even protecting much since the two hit points isn't enough. Plus you have almost no card draw and with the low mana curve you need some more. If you have eviscerate I would put that in too so you have some more ways to destroy some minions without sacrificing your own. Also cold blood instead of sinister strike might work too as it is same mana cost and will end up doing four damage instead of three and has the potential of doing more. Anyway as you play just keep track of which cards you are happy to draw and which never seem good enough and just keep refining.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah, I'd drop the Sinister Strikes for Cold Blood, the Footmen for Haunted Creepers. Swap Shiv or Eviscerate for Pint-Sized.

So using what I have with the idea to build up my weapons damage using minions or spells to boost it and then either apply that to minions who gain it's attack power when summoned or destroying it when it gets to low durability and applying the damage across everyone using blade flurry I made this.

Two problems I've ran into so far. It relies heavily on very specific cards with no way of making sure I get them and while it beefs up the attack of bloodsail raider, it does nothing to their health and they are often wiped out before I can use them. Any pointers anyone can provide? Is this even worth refining? When it does well it does very well, when it falters it doesn't even get a chance to start.

View attachment 15475
I'd take out Nat Pagle, he's ok for slow, control oriented decks, but you're building something far more aggressive. He just doesn't live long enough to really draw you enough cards to warrant the lack of threat. Try replacing him with a couple of coldlight oracles, which will draw you more cards almost all the time, and will give you a 3/3 body on the board. Don't worry about it drawing your opponent cards too, your low mana curve will mean you're more likely able to play them (and often, immediately) than he is.

Since you're focusing on weapons, a pirate themed deck wouldn't hurt. You've already got the bloodsail raider, throw in some southsea deckhands. Get rid of the goldshire footmen and shield bearers and instead go with dread corsairs, which will still give you taunt, but can be played for free if you have an assassing blade or a deadly poison equipped.

Some knife jugglers would help with your early aggression too, and they kinda fit the theme... I mean, they throw knives!

The pint sized summoner probably isn't doing much for you. Most of your minions already have a low mana cost. Something like a haunted creeper would be better there, as it's hard to kill, and gives you more targets to cast cold blood on. If you have SI:7 agents, they can also help keep tempo in the early game (which this deck will want to gain control of quickly,) and finally I'd recommend sap, since you don't have many answers to any big singular threats that get played, and sapping them back is usually enough to keep the murder machine going.

So, Blizzard had said previously that week 2 of Naxxramas would start on Tuesday.

The actual release time is going to be 11:59pm PDT Tuesday, July 29... also known as Wednesday

I've been checking periodically today. Good to know I can stop doing that.

I'm super excited to unlock the Stoneskin Gargoyle cards, though. They will fit nicely in my priest deck.

I just want to point out how awesome it is that they fixed how death rattles play out in their order of operations.

Playing paladin against zoo. He coins out a nerubian egg. Uh oh. I make a guy. he drops haunted creeper, I play wild pyromancer. He plays two scarlet whatevers (the 1/1 shielded guys) and uses his haunted creeper to kill my 1/1.

It's now turn 4. I play consecration. Since the new patch, the death rattles go off right at the time of death, which is during the spell, and since wild pyromancer does its effect -after- the spell, consecration kills the haunted creeper and the egg, and takes off the shields of the two guys. Nerubian and 2 1/1's spawn, then the wild pyromancer effect does 1 damage to all, killing the now unshielded guys, the 1/1 spiders, and taking the nerubian down to 3 health, allowing the wild pyromancer to trade for it.

Zoolock quit.

I'm super excited to unlock the Stoneskin Gargoyle cards, though. They will fit nicely in my priest deck.
That card is going to play heavy in some decks, I can already sense it.

Just tonight I decided to do the class challenges. First try on the druid challenge I beat the boss. One of my first cards I got was Innervate and Mark of the Wild, which I decided to save. By turn 3 I got a Stoneskin Gargoyle, since they are littered in the special druid deck for the challenge. I dropped him, used Innervate to gain two more mana, and then popped Mark of the Wild on it.

3/6 Taunt minion that heals at the end of every turn going into round 4? Yes please. Anything that attacked him early in the game basically killed itself leaving me with full board control. Was amazing.

Ha I wasn't really paying attention other than to the pic and it's power but based on the image I always thought scavenging hyena was a beaver sitting on a dam.

Dave

Staff member
Jesus Christ! 25-26 damage? I don't even want to know. I'll never be at that level. I've played 1 game against other players. I won with 18 left, but I can't see getting into this game as much as y'all.

Jesus Christ! 25-26 damage? I don't even want to know. I'll never be at that level. I've played 1 game against other players. I won with 18 left, but I can't see getting into this game as much as y'all.
Well, the screenshot I posted was only possible because of the mechanics of that specific boss battle. Against real players, I wouldn't have been able to pump those beasts so high with that deck.

It's a really fun game! It can be a little slow to get into, since you have to unlock the classes and starting cards, but it's good practice if you go through it. If you ever want some pointers, feel free to ask!

When he dies it is any beast card whether you own it or not, i got King Crush a few times with it.
Oh yeah, I know. I drew Maexxna with it.

Still a bad card though, since most beasts suck. For every King Krush or Mukla you might draw with it, there's a billion stupid taunt gorillas.

figmentPez

Staff member
Webspinner dies -> Captain's Parrot.

I've been playing a lot of that Hunter challenge, because it is so much fun. The one game I lost, though, came when I got three Angry Chickens from the first 4 of my Webspinners to die, and the other card was a Captain's Parrot. It was pathetic.

I've been toying with a Druid and looked up a deck and modified it with what I had available. I also started playing ranked with it, hovering around 18 right now :S. Problem I'm having is early game , with such high cost cards it often just get left stalling until I can ramp it up. I understand that's sort of the point with the deck but it's often left me destroyed before it can get there, or I have too expensive cards sitting in my hand doing nothing waiting for the mana to come. I want to try to fit nourish in there but cannot decide what to get rid of to do so.

Druid.png

It's particularly zoo decks I have trouble with, the board just gets so loaded I don't have a chance to catch up. Starfall would help but it's another 5 card.

Last edited:
I've been toying with a Druid and looked up a deck and modified it with what I had available. I also started playing ranked with it, hovering around 18 right now :S. Problem I'm having is early game , with such high cost cards it often just get left stalling until I can ramp it up. I understand that's sort of the point with the deck but it's often left me destroyed before it can get there, or I have too expensive cards sitting in my hand doing nothing waiting for the mana to come. I want to try to fit nourish in there but cannot decide what to get rid of to do so.

View attachment 15488

It's particularly zoo decks I have trouble with, the board just gets so loaded I don't have a chance to catch up. Starfall would help but it's another 5 card.
Ok your mana curve is really high. As a ramp druid you should be playing wild growth. That's how you are suppose to get your big minions out sooner. Savage roar is for when you also have force of nature to combo it with and you are not playing a token style deck so it is kind of useless. A harvest golem would help you more as it would take some early game harass out. I would get rid of the novice engineers. You have card draw with the blood mage, wrath and ancients of lore and if you switch a sunwalker out for a nourish then you will have plenty of card draw for the game. I would probably switch the shieldbearer out too.

Finally was able to get into the plague quarter after it was not letting me in yesterday. That mage challenge was tough. It was such a bad deck with minions that barely did any damage and secrets that were largely useless. I think I had a counter spell and a spell bender out on turn four (due to the scientist) and they never got triggered before I lost. All the other class challenges were relatively simple as long as you didn't get unlucky but this one you had to get extremely lucky that you were somehow able to deal with his doomguards.