[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

I've only tried once with my weapon warrior, which was not a good call. I'm going to try my Lightwell deck and see if my healing can offset all the damage enough, especially if I can get some pumped up minions and throw out a Valen or Malygos.

Wow, those character challenges are tough! I've done the druid one twice and didn't stand a chance either time. I don't know if I just had a bad draw or if the boss had good ones, but I don't know if I can beat this.

I've only tried once so far with a Druid on the lowest challenge. I didn't make it, but this could be because my Druid is only something like level 18.

--Patrick

I got through the class challenges the first time through. Still haven't been able to beat even the first boss on Heroic.

The first game I got very little to deal with threats using the Druid deck. Whenever something did get out, it got killed by the 2 cost "Kill a minion" spell. Early the opponent would get the 2/3 charge minion. By the time I had any board control I was at 2 live and didn't really have a chance.

I guess I'll keep at it and hope for a victory eventually.

If I recall correctly, my biggest play was summoning two Nerubian Eggs, then the Defender of Argus between them. The boss had 2 minions out. Next turn, after they killed the eggs and made the four 1/1 spiders, I played Poison Seed, turning all those 1/1 to 2/2 and then Savage roar to build them up to four 4/2 minions that were attack ready. I can't remember what other minions I had up at the time, but that was my fatal play.

To be fair, my first draw was 2 innervates and a Druid of the Claw, which is a pretty strong opening hand for a druid.

Go for the face. That isn't my typical style, but it's what I had to do to win. Also, getting Hogger and an Invervate didn't hurt my chances. Still, it wasn't looking pretty at the end until I drew the +4 attack card to end the game.

The Rogue challenge was the exact opposite and I found it to be super easy. Not sure why they put Alexstrasa and a Murloc in the deck though. It's like the designers said "Well, this has a Battlecry, lets put that in!" Well, except the Murloc, which made no sense.

The Druid challenge is mainly showing you how to do combos with the gargoyle and echoing ooze. Use your buff powers on them. A buffed up gargoyle is very difficult for the AI to kill, and when you play an echoing ooze, and then buff it, the copy it makes of itself is also buffed.[DOUBLEPOST=1406173901,1406173832][/DOUBLEPOST]
Go for the face. That isn't my typical style, but it's what I had to do to win. Also, getting Hogger and an Invervate didn't hurt my chances. Still, it wasn't looking pretty at the end until I drew the +4 attack card to end the game.

The Rogue challenge was the exact opposite and I found it to be super easy. Not sure why they put Alexstrasa and a Murloc in the deck though. It's like the designers said "Well, this has a Battlecry, lets put that in!" Well, except the Murloc, which made no sense.
The murloc is there because it's a token deck, and the murloc tidehunter (I think that's what it's called, the one that summons another murloc) is also in it.

I imagine the gargoyle is a new favorite among Priests/Paladins.

--Patrick
Oh, I can't wait to incorporate him into my lightwell deck. Get him with inner fire and a couple of health buffs. MMMMMMMM damage.

And Death's Bite is going to fit so well into my Warrior deck.

I decided to go for a full healing deck, and managed to defeat heroic Maexxna by having her fatigue herself to death from full hp, no alexstraza, just heal heal heal.

The Druid challenge is mainly showing you how to do combos with the gargoyle and echoing ooze. Use your buff powers on them. A buffed up gargoyle is very difficult for the AI to kill, and when you play an echoing ooze, and then buff it, the copy it makes of itself is also buffed.[DOUBLEPOST=1406173901,1406173832][/DOUBLEPOST]

The murloc is there because it's a token deck, and the murloc tidehunter (I think that's what it's called, the one that summons another murloc) is also in it.
That's some really crappy synergy.

This is turn two of my Druid challenge, and it was pretty typical for me to be feeling awful desperate even this early. Oh, this the game I won.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_7.23.2014.20.15.15.png

I just played my druid and won my first game in about a week.

This might be because I only play 1-2 games/day at most.

--Patrick

Just beat the spider lord on Heroic on my first try. Armor up Warrior did ok against it, but I know I got lucky a couple times.

figmentPez

Staff member
In case anyone was wondering, I wanted to know what would happen if Tinkmaster hit an Echoing Ooze on the turn it was played. The ooze effect gets canceled, so no duplicating devilsaurs. I thought that was the most likely result, but I did want to test to find out.[DOUBLEPOST=1406255609,1406255526][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and the Eaglehorn bow got a nerf. It now only gains charages from friendly secrets. Guess who had an extra bow? Woo-hoo, bonus dust!

This is turn two of my Druid challenge, and it was pretty typical for me to be feeling awful desperate even this early. Oh, this the game I won.

View attachment 15407
I would have played the eggs instead of the haunted spider, that way you could mark of the wild it on turn 3. That gets you a mark out one turn faster than doing it on turn 4 with a gargoyle, and if Faerlina kills it, you're left with a -much- better minion.

Yay! I just beat Anub'Rakan with my priest deck. Ended up getting a malygos with faceless with 2 holy novas in my hand. 12 damage per nova and 12/12 on one of the Malygos

I would have played the eggs instead of the haunted spider, that way you could mark of the wild it on turn 3. That gets you a mark out one turn faster than doing it on turn 4 with a gargoyle, and if Faerlina kills it, you're left with a -much- better minion.
Yeah, I'm trying to remember why I played it that way. I'll let you know if I come up with it.

One good thing about the Naxxramus cards are that unlike the other legendaries, you can easily get them through the solo wing playing rather than having to worry about getting them through luck of card draws or saving up a gajillion dust.

Point in fact, I'd like to know if anyone has been able to beat any of the heroic bosses WITHOUT legendary cards. I know if I hadn't had Valen and Malygos in my priest deck, I never would have beat the first boss.

B

BErt

Point in fact, I'd like to know if anyone has been able to beat any of the heroic bosses WITHOUT legendary cards. I know if I hadn't had Valen and Malygos in my priest deck, I never would have beat the first boss.
I beat the 2nd boss with a pretty basic zoolock deck. If you don't keep cards in your hand her hero power is useless. I absolutely needed Alex to beat the third boss - I had seven or eight turns where it was Alex, Elven Archer - over and over and over.

Still can't beat the first boss :cry:

I beat Faerlina on heroic with just a basic zoo warlock deck. Only one card was above rare (blood knight, an epic) but it honestly had no effect in the fight. While I did have legendaries in the deck I used to beat heroic Maexxna, I never actually drew into them. So yeah, I'd say it's very easy to do so, the basic and rare card set are plenty strong.

figmentPez

Staff member
Noxious is doing a series of budget decks for defeating the Heroic bosses. So far he's beaten Anub'Rekhan with budget Hunter and Druid decks. I think they only use rare cards, no epics. I don't remember, and my computer is being a little shit right now, so I can't rewatch to check.

figmentPez

Staff member
And today Noxious put out a budget Hunter deck for defeating Maexxna on heroic.

Deck list:
Hunter's Mark x2
Arcane Shot x2
Tracking x2
Elven Archer x2
Stonetusk Boar x2
Timber Wolf x2
Voodoo Doctor x2
Explosive Trap x2
Bluegill Warrior x2
Knife Juggler x2
Starving Buzzard x2
Kill Command x2
Unleash the Hounds x2
Arcane Golem
Earthen Ring Farseer
Wolfrider x2

So thats:
- 22 basic cards
- 5 common
- 3 rare

The rares being 2 Knife Jugglers and 1 Arcane Golem.

figmentPez

Staff member
You know what is a really fun, but incredibly rare, combo? Shadow Madness, then Reincarnate. I was playing around against the normal level Naxx bosses, playing with my Priest deck. Thoughtstole Reincarnate, and then found the perfect opportunity to use it when a Sludge Belcher was played. Took control of the Belcher with Shadow Madness, used it to kill another enemy minion, and then used Reincarnate on it. That got me a 1/2 Slime, and a fresh Belcher of my own.

Also, I really like messing around with Maexxna on normal difficulty:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_7.26.2014 Messing with Maexxna.jpg