[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

figmentPez

Staff member
If you're looking for efficiency, just both play as Priests and double/redouble minion health (on something like an injured blademaster). It would go twice as fast if you both concentrate on the same minion, too.
How does doubling minion health result in more weapon attack power?

figmentPez

Staff member
http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/207-inner-fire
...unless all this time you meant hero attack power.
"I want to find out just how high of an attack you can get on a weapon", which is why I was talking about using the card Upgrade!

It's easy to get a minion up to ridiculous attack power. I've seen minions that are 40+ before. Getting a hero's weapon up into even two digits is far less common, and takes real effort. Getting a weapon up to 30 would take some deliberate and coordinated shenanigans.

figmentPez

Staff member
So, what new mechanics would people like to see in cards? Here are my best ideas:

- Minions that sleep for an extra turn before becoming active.
- A minion that raises the cost of both sides' hero powers. (Kind of like a Mana Wraith, but for the hero power)
- A druid card that gives a mana refund for a lesser effect. (i.e. 6 Mana card does 3 damage to all creatures, but gives a 2 mana refund to only do 2 damage)
- A minion that draws cards on kills

figmentPez

Staff member
Oooh! I have another idea: Priest secrets that are all healing. That's all they do is heal your hero and/or minions. The secret is what triggers them. Your opponent has to guess which action will cause you to get a mana efficient heal.

Okay, kind of a crappy idea... but maybe they'd heal for different amounts based on which action. Like one secret heals for 6 if your opponent attacks your face, but heals all minions for one if a card is played first. But another heals you for 2 if a card is played first, but heals all your minions to full if they go for your face. Your opponent knows you're getting a heal, somehow, and wants to give you the least amount, but doesn't know for certain which action is going to give you the least effective heal.

How about a 0/3 Warlock minion with Taunt and Deathrattle: Becomes a copy of whatever minion kills it. This minion cannot be the target of spells or hero powers.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I wonder if minions with "spell taunt" would unbalance the game too much. Right now there are two Mage secrets that counter spells, but what if there were minions you could put down that would have to be killed (or silenced) before you could target anything else (well, anything else on your opponent's board) with a spell? That would provide a counter to getting Pyroblast, but would it counter too many other situations as well?

That would destroy all the spell casting decks. One of the major bonuses of spells is that they can bypass taunts. They would have to rebalance everything to accommodate something like that.

B

BErt

I haven't been playing very long, so I know this might not be the biggest deal, but MAN was this satisfying:

image.jpg

B

BErt

I was curious about that too...they went away too fast, so I didn't see if counterspell was one of them, but I think you're probably right.

Also, they conceded immediately afterward

figmentPez

Staff member
According to comments on Hearthhead the a counterspell would have countered the flare. No other secrets would have been destroyed, no stealth lost, no card draw.[DOUBLEPOST=1401245369,1401245150][/DOUBLEPOST]
That would destroy all the spell casting decks. One of the major bonuses of spells is that they can bypass taunts. They would have to rebalance everything to accommodate something like that.
What if Spell Taunt removed taunt from other friendly minions as long as it was on the board?

figmentPez

Staff member
It means no deathrattles, no battlecry, not even charge.
I was wondering about the battlecry thing. Nothing else has interfered with battlecry, when a card is actually played, before. I'm not sure if that's a change to the mechanics that Blizzard would want. It'd be a really nasty combo with Deathwing, most of the Warlock cards, etc.

Wow, Handlock is a BLAST to play! ROAR! Big creatures come out fairly quickly and anything which isn't pure aggro is a strong match-up.

This is what I'm running. I know it's fairly standard for Handlock, but any changes to deal with Zoo would be appreciated.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_5.29.2014.14.56.40.png

Wow, Handlock is a BLAST to play! ROAR! Big creatures come out fairly quickly and anything which isn't pure aggro is a strong match-up.

This is what I'm running. I know it's fairly standard for Handlock, but any changes to deal with Zoo would be appreciated.

View attachment 14940
Yeah I actually just got golden Jaraxxus so I blew my life savings of dust and made the varient of handlock with leeroy, faceless, poweroverwhelming to help finish up opponents faster. Though I must say my experience has not been going so well. I've played about 8 games and the first 4 I died on turn 4 or 5. With all the aggro I actually put in 1 senjin which has saved me a turn or 2 allowing me to get a turn 6 big guy with taunt out. I did have fun playing against a control warrior though. It was really scary. I had 36 damage I could do to him which was still 8 shy and I was down to 3 health with no taunts up and a fiery war ax in hand, I tapped and senjin appeared. Which saved me that turn allowing me to kill him the following.

Made rank 13 today in a knock-out fight with a mage. Jaraxus and a Sunfury Protector gave me exactly the 5 attack I needed to bring them low. So close! Awful excited I made rank 13, too, as it's the best I've done so far. Like usual, I wasn't playing like crazy and just sorta meandered there.

figmentPez

Staff member
Warlock card for CoN:
Voidcaller 4 mana 3/4 (the first 3/4 in the game?)
Deathrattle: Put a Demon from your hand into the battlefield

At first I thought this was like Bane of Doom, summoning a random demon, but it's actually pulling a card from your hand. Which means it could be used to get out the more powerful demons without their battlecry. Could make Pit Lords more appealling, and might have a place in zoo decks, because even the chance of getting a Doomguard out without losing two cards could be worth it.

Warlock card for CoN:
Voidcaller 4 mana 3/4 (the first 3/4 in the game?)
Deathrattle: Put a Demon from your hand into the battlefield

At first I thought this was like Bane of Doom, summoning a random demon, but it's actually pulling a card from your hand. Which means it could be used to get out the more powerful demons without their battlecry. Could make Pit Lords more appealling, and might have a place in zoo decks, because even the chance of getting a Doomguard out without losing two cards could be worth it.
It could make succubus not terrible.

So, finally got my free pass to the arena. Played it with my lvl11 Rogue. Won just one game. My reward? 40 gold and a pack.
What was in that pack?
hsarena.jpg

Ok, so maybe I feel less bad about doing so poorly my first time out.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
It is really frustrating to be ranked in the high teens and running across decks that are exact copies of those used in high level play. I fought a "legendary warrior" type deck today. Baron Geddon, Alexstraza, Grommash Hellscream, 2x Shield Slam, Brawl... etc. The fact that I survived long enough to even witness all that was pure luck, considering I was playing my Hunter deck and I'm missing a lot of the cards I want to put in it (I only have 1 Unleash the Hounds, and I don't have any Misdirection). Shit, I'm rank 17 and facing a deck that's either a huge investment of time or money. It's bad enough that decks like that dominate unranked play, but it's fucking bullshit that they exist in fairly low level ranked play as well. I can only hope that whoever is running that deck feels like a moron for only being at rank 16 with it.

Keep in mind that the only way for someone to get to higher ranks with a deck is to play their way from the bottom - it sucks to be matched against it, but it's not an indication of the other person's skill or attitude. There are decent odds that the warrior you ran into is climbing pretty quickly and the matches from 25-10 or so are something that he's as annoyed by as you are.

I point this out because I had someone add me on bnet to call me a coward for beating them with a miracle rogue deck at rank ~15, and when I asked them how they wanted me to get higher without playing any games, they called me a coward again and removed me. It's a flaw with Blizzard's system, particularly with the ladder partially or fully resetting as frequently as it does.