[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

I got creamed by a WEIRD priest deck today. It had some normal Priest offerings but focused more on board removal and then hitting me in the face using Shadowform and other tricks. It was super tricky.

Anyone playing Warlock Zoo can go fuck themselves as unoriginal pricks. And for fuck's sake, can I please draw some lightning storms when I face them?!?

I saw the trailer they put out but haven't seen any gameplay. I imagine my computer wouldn't run it anyways. At least Hearthstone is easy on my computer and scratches my CCG itch.

I saw the trailer they put out but haven't seen any gameplay. I imagine my computer wouldn't run it anyways. At least Hearthstone is easy on my computer and scratches my CCG itch.
There's tons of gameplay vids out from people streaming the alpha.

Just beat a Miracle Rogue on turn seven with my Mage deck. He had just Auctioneered and concealed it and I hit him with a crap ton of spells and my minion were just barely able to finish him off. Really good game where next turn he probably had me.

I won a game recently playing Priest with an injured blademaster.
I swear the first 8 turns went something like blah, blah, I coin into blademaster, he does something, I kill it with blademaster, he puts out a couple things, I wolfrider one of them and blademaster the other, then heal the blademaster, and this would go on another 5-6 turns where he'd try and do something and I'd clear the board and then heal the blademaster for 2 or priest him +1/+1. At about turn 8, the other guy just conceded with my blademaster still on the board, and at no time did I ever manage to heal him back above 5.

--Patrick

Ok, this is a good story and I had to share. I started playing against a Warrior, got the first turn with an Ooze, Leroy, and a Hex. Turn one I pass. His turn one he coins and tosses the ax up and doesn't hit me in the face with it. My turn two I play Ooze. Before I can hit end turn he concedes.

I won a game yesterday against a hunter with a 24/24 Malygos and a Valen on my priest, with me at 12 health and him at 25 on around turn 9. It was some fun times.

I'm loving my Warrior deck. Win or lose, I really don't mind either way. It's tons of fun just to play a bunch of big stuff.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_6.15.2014.20.24.03.png

I know it's a pretty typical Warrior deck, I don't care though. Way fun.

figmentPez

Staff member
Please tell me that someone has photoshopped the Blood Knight with coffee in his hands "scumbag Blood Knight, shows up late with Starbucks"

I just won a game against a handlock that felt so good to win. I was playing as a control hunter.

I made this deck pretty much specifically to counter the three big decks being played right now: miracle rogue, handlock, and aggro zoo. Wild pyromancers and explosive traps are great against zoo, snipe is amazing against miracle rogue and handlock, and careful use of other traps and my bows keep board control.

So it comes down to handlock and me both at around 10hp. I have sylvanas and a highmane on the board, combined with my bow giving me well over lethal on him. He starts spamming threats and good games in a really obnoxious way, and then plays leeroy with DOUBLE POWER OVERWHELMING, pretty op, right?

FREEZING TRAP, BITCH!

He then sulked until time ran out, and conceded at the start of my turn.

I finally have ragnaros the firelord. I got tired of not having any of the top legendaries, said "FUCK IT!" and spent all my dust to craft it.

I finally have ragnaros the firelord. I got tired of not having any of the top legendaries, said "FUCK IT!" and spent all my dust to craft it.
I've had the Ragnaros for a long time. Hell, I've even had the damn golden Ragnaros twice. Both times I turned him into something else. I've been a whole lot luckier lately.

And after whining about not getting any legendaries, I open my first legendary in over 40 packs. It's... Onyxia. ... ok.

Fuck it, I'm going to make it work.

In other news, my control hunter continues to be pretty fun. It needs some tweaking, but there's nothing sweeter than sniping a miracle rogue's gadgetzan auctioneer and watching them ragequit immediately. Or watching a handlock's leeroy or a otk warrior's grommash run straight into your freezing trap.

figmentPez

Staff member
I was playing my Paladin deck today, to complete a quest. I really need to put more taunt in, because right now it's getting mauled by tons and tons of Zoolock.

I was playing my Paladin deck today, to complete a quest. I really need to put more taunt in, because right now it's getting mauled by tons and tons of Zoolock.
sen'jin shieldmasta or defender or argus are good taunts. But paladins have a lot of great options for removal. Wild Pyromancer + Equality = everything on the board dies. You can also combo it with consecration for 3 damage across the board (usually enough to wipe most zoo creatures). Stampeding khodo is also good for this, and stampeding khodo combined with an aldor peacekeeper can destroy even big scary threats.

Earthen ring farseer is also great, because it can usually make you trade favorably, and still puts a minion on the board. And if you have lay on hands, it can work great in helping you catch up if you fall behind.

I think what I'm enjoying lately is the fact that I know absolutely nothing about the current "fad" decks.
…so nobody knows what the Hell I'm going to play next.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I may have to craft a Defender of Argus. I'll need to check to see if I have any Wild Pyromancers. I probably need to drop my Hammers of Wrath and Blessing of Kings. Or maybe my really late-game stuff like Rag and Ysera. I guess it depends on the meta. Right now all I've got for taunt is 1 Sen'jin and 1 Sunfuy Protector. Which is not quite adequate.[DOUBLEPOST=1402978213,1402978060][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think what I'm enjoying lately is the fact that I know absolutely nothing about the current "fad" decks.
…so nobody knows what the Hell I'm going to play next.
I'd really like to see Blizzard implement an automatic man-mode. It'd be fun to play against random opponents, with random cards, and just see how well you can fly by the seat of your pants.

Here's my current control paladin deck. I haven't played it in a bit, so it needs a little touching up.

I'd probably swap out Sylvanas for another threat card, as she feels a little underpowered in the current meta, and two wild pyromancers often feels like a waste when up against other control decks. Ragnaros is there because... well, I just unlocked him, and this deck is about late game threats. The elven archer, surprisingly, I've found to be very valuable. She's yet another way to trigger a kill after equality, and sometimes you just need one extra damage on the board, like popping a young priestess behind a taunt. You might notice there are no two drops that I'd want to play on turn 2. This is by design, as turn 2 I usually want to hero ability. In fact, I want to hero ability as often as possible, summoning a 1/1 is just too good.

So basically, you want to try and get a pyro in your hand fairly early against zoo, and use it to wipe out the enemy board around turn 4 or so. Turn 4+ is where you start to shine, and you have taunts you can fall behind if you just don't get your board clear. Since you want to summon guys a lot to fill in for your lack of low drops, you can also consider swapping in a blessing of kings or two. You can probably safely drop one of the pyros for one.

And if you're lucky enough to have Cairne, there's no reason not to include him. I just don't have him.[DOUBLEPOST=1402978999,1402978857][/DOUBLEPOST]
I may have to craft a Defender of Argus. I'll need to check to see if I have any Wild Pyromancers. I probably need to drop my Hammers of Wrath and Blessing of Kings. Or maybe my really late-game stuff like Rag and Ysera. I guess it depends on the meta. Right now all I've got for taunt is 1 Sen'jin and 1 Sunfuy Protector. Which is not quite adequate.
I've personally found the direct taunt of sen'jin to be more valuable (against zoo) than defender/protector, because it doesn't rely on other minions to work. And I've found that combined with earthen ring farseer, that shieldmasta can stay alive a lot longer than the zoolock expects.

Ysera might be too slow vs zoo, but Rag should work damn well.

figmentPez

Staff member
There's been a lot of talk about how all the deathrattles in CoN will mean that silence will become very popular/necessary, but what if some of the new cards target deathrattles? Imagine a Blood Knight for deathrattles. 3/3 for 3, but gains +1/+1 for each deathrattle removed.

There's been a lot of talk about how all the deathrattles in CoN will mean that silence will become very popular/necessary, but what if some of the new cards target deathrattles? Imagine a Blood Knight for deathrattles. 3/3 for 3, but gains +1/+1 for each deathrattle removed.
Would be far too powerful, especially for a class like druid that can give all their minions deathrattle, and then suck them all up into the death knight.

Though, they do have a card that gains power every time you summon a minion with a deathrattle.

But that's not as powerful because you need to summon each minion individually. Something like soul of the forest won't work (right?)

Maybe there will be more cards that destroy minions, or however the way that doesn't activate deathrattles is called.

figmentPez

Staff member
Would be far too powerful, especially for a class like druid that can give all their minions deathrattle, and then suck them all up into the death knight.
A Blood Knight can hit 12/12 with just three divine shields. Even if a Druid had 7 minions, all with Soul of the Forest, that'd only reach 10/10 for my hypothetical card. Maybe my stats aren't balanced, but I suspect that there will be new cards specifically made to counter deathrattles, and I don't think it's going to just be more ways to silence. Even if it's not a "destroy deathrattles, gain stats" type minion, I bet there will be a way to mass remove just deathrattles.

Maybe there will be more cards that destroy minions, or however the way that doesn't activate deathrattles is called.
Destroying minions doesn't cause damage, so it won't trigger effects like the Acolyte of Pain, Armorsmith, Frothing Berserker, etc. but I'm pretty sure that the only ways to avoid a deathrattle are silence and polymorph/hex/tinkmaster.

figmentPez

Staff member
A quick google search suggests that no one has referred to Cairne Bloodhoof as a yeti matroska, and this disappoints me. He's a yeti inside of another yeti!

figmentPez

Staff member
This might be a decent turn 1 play for hunters:
Hearthstone _ Hunter Webspinner.png

Spoilered for size.
Webspinner
1/1 for 1 that draws a random beast card as a deathrattle.