[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

I've saved up over 1,000 gold in anticipation of the Curse of Naxxramas. I'm hoping I won't need even more to buy the first dungeon-thing.
The first dungeon is free. The dungeons that come out the following weeks you'll need gold though. I doubt a wing will cost more then 1000 so I think you're good.

Ya I'm excited for this expansion. Hopefully I will get to try out some new wacky combos to spice things up again.

figmentPez

Staff member
My Shaman deck has really shaped up, and it's feeling solid:
2014_04_17 Pez's Shaman Deck.png

Compare that to what it was before:

My most recent change was putting in the Injured Blademasters, which has turned out to be a very good decision. I've found they're often played as a 4/4 because I already have a healing totem on the board. The few times that they get to be 4/7 with taunt are amazing. That's a turn 3 that will really put on the pressure.

I'm a little light on card draw and I'd probably put in Feral Spirit if I had any, but right now it's working, though I'm only at rank 17.

figmentPez

Staff member
Sweet, I like the Venture Co. Merc. I've been contemplating using them in my own, just not sure what to take out.
I like to use them as hard removal bait before I pull out my Earth Elemental. Let them take a Shadow Word Death or a Polymorph, so that the Earth Elemental's overload doesn't got to waste.

Apparently when opening a pack for Hearthstone all I have to say is "C'mon, give me a Legendary" and I get something awesome. Last time I got a Jaraxxus. This time, a golden Ragnaros. Pretty freaking cool.

I've only done 2 arena runs. I should probably stop spending my gold on packs but I've had a good streak to make up for the 20 crappy packs I got.

figmentPez

Staff member
The next CoN card being revealed is a Shaman card:
Rebirth(2 mana) - destroy a minion and bring it back to life at full health

Kind of like an instant Ancestral Spirit.

Personally I wouldn't mind pairing this card with Carine Bloodhoof. Use Carine to hit something, slap him with Rebirth, then you've got a fresh Cairne and a Baine to boot.

On the other hand, I stopped using Ancestral Spirit because it was pretty rare that I had occasion to use it, though, that was also before I balanced my deck... I've got more heavy hitters now to bring back. I'll have to think about this.

EDIT: Reading comments on Twitter... Holy shit, a 24 damage Leeroy combo would be possible.
Leeroy (4 mana) x Windfury (2 mana) = 12 Damage
Rebirth (2 mana) x Windfury (2 mana) = another 12 Damage

Granted, Shamans are usually overloaded, so it's more likely to be an 18 damage combo, but still.

Last edited:
Seems pretty 'meh' to me. Just not inspired by it.
It can be used to trigger important deathrattles (sylvanas?) as well as remove debuffs from important cards, like silence off of ysera, or get rid of a pesky corruption (who the fuck uses corruption?) or blessing of wisdom from an enemy paladin.

Should combo well with the other death rattle cards coming out.

The next CoN card being revealed is a Shaman card:
Rebirth(2 mana) - destroy a minion and bring it back to life at full health

Kind of like an instant Ancestral Spirit.

Personally I wouldn't mind pairing this card with Carine Bloodhoof. Use Carine to hit something, slap him with Rebirth, then you've got a fresh Cairne and a Baine to boot.

On the other hand, I stopped using Ancestral Spirit because it was pretty rare that I had occasion to use it, though, that was also before I balanced my deck... I've got more heavy hitters now to bring back. I'll have to think about this.

EDIT: Reading comments on Twitter... Holy shit, a 24 damage Leeroy combo would be possible.
Leeroy (4 mana) x Windfury (2 mana) = 12 Damage
Rebirth (2 mana) x Windfury (2 mana) = another 12 Damage

Granted, Shamans are usually overloaded, so it's more likely to be an 18 damage combo, but still.
I don't think battlecries/charge will be activated by this, just deathrattles, so this combo would be impossible and Leeroy is only good for his charge.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't think battlecries/charge will be activated by this, just deathrattles, so this combo would be impossible and Leeroy is only good for his charge.
Charge isn't a battlecry, as evidenced by Faceless Manipulator getting charge when copying a minion.

Also, the charge effect works when used in combo with Ancestral Spirit, so I don't see why it wouldn't with Rebirth.

Charge would be activated, as it's an intrinsic property of the minion, not a battlecry. This means that Leeroy wouldn't summon two more whelps, but would still retain his charge, the same as happens if he gets played via a priests mind-games.

The real question is would the minion 'remember' it had already attacked that turn. Returning to the hand and being resummoned is different than being killed and returned.

The real question is would the minion 'remember' it had already attacked that turn. Returning to the hand and being resummoned is different than being killed and returned.
If it's killed, it should count as a new minion being summoned to the board, not triggering battlecries since it wasn't played, but otherwise acting like a fresh minion, as well as triggering on-summon effects like the knife juggler. But I suppose we'll see.

figmentPez

Staff member
If it works like Ancestral Spirit does, then the new attack would be allowed that turn.

figmentPez

Staff member
Noxious has some interesting thoughts on Rebirth:

Especially about combos with Ancestral Spirit. Sylvanas, given Ancestral Spirit, and then killed with Rebirth would, theoretically, steal an enemy minion, and spawn two Slyvanases. In fact, a lot of awesome stuff could be done with that combo.

Noxious has some interesting thoughts on Rebirth:

Especially about combos with Ancestral Spirit. Sylvanas, given Ancestral Spirit, and then killed with Rebirth would, theoretically, steal an enemy minion, and spawn two Slyvanases. In fact, a lot of awesome stuff could be done with that combo.
Ok, that is pretty cool.

Just made rank 17 with this deck, knocking out a Druid. Really haven't been playing much ranked. Still, wasn't expecting to win my first time out with the deck.
Hearthstone_Screenshot_5.23.2014.23.56.51.png

Looks like a pretty standard mage deck to me.
It is. I was pleased with myself for doing well with an unfamiliar deck as I've played nothing but Shaman for the last month. Also have the deck built for pretty standard Handlock but don't have the confidence to trot that out just yet.

Really looking forward to the end of the season and the new ranked card backs.

figmentPez

Staff member
I need to start looking for Hearthstone sound files. I want the Voidwalker's "Why do you call?" as a custom ringtone.

So this happened today...

Hearthstone_Screenshot_5.25.2014.10.21.23.png

I've never had the chance to Faceless a Ragnaros before... so fun! He was at 23 life when I played Rag, he healed himself for 8 and then the next turn I facelessed and hit him with a Fireball. he killed the two Rag's with swipes and then conceded.

figmentPez

Staff member
I wish I had a Lorewalker Cho and a friend to try out crazy ideas with. Like, I want to find out just how high of an attack you can get on a weapon by bouncing Upgrade back and forth between characters. I'm thinking it might be possible to get up to a weapon that has 30 attack, but that might require multiple copies of Cho in order to get the Upgrades going faster before fatigue damage starts to set in.

I have Cho but haven't had much need to use him. I did put him in a Murloc deck for a while, back when I still played that. Was fun to get a bunch of spells from my opponent while giving him nothing. Hm, might not be terrible in a Zoo deck.

I wish I had a Lorewalker Cho and a friend to try out crazy ideas with. Like, I want to find out just how high of an attack you can get on a weapon by bouncing Upgrade back and forth between characters. I'm thinking it might be possible to get up to a weapon that has 30 attack, but that might require multiple copies of Cho in order to get the Upgrades going faster before fatigue damage starts to set in.
Make sure you faceless a couple weaponsmiths, too.

--Patrick

If you're looking for efficiency, just both play as Priests and double/redouble minion health (on something like an injured blademaster). It would go twice as fast if you both concentrate on the same minion, too.

--Patrick